Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Feb 23, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #4,201 of 4,776
thanks, i read that you'd said that in a previous comment. i only got my cans yesterday so it's early days before i think about whether i'm going to change the default sound. I've come from a nearly 10 year old set of Fidelo X1's (the pads had started to come apart and they werent replaceable) and the sound difference is really amazing.
I posted about this a few pages back, you want ZMF Universal Fenestrated Sheepskin, clears up the entire FR range, turns it into a whole new beast, I would imagine much better for Mixing/Mastering, not as much bass rumbles to the side of the head but IMO by far the best, almost made me keep it after I got the HD800...

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #4,202 of 4,776
Been doing some pad and foam disc swapping:

Analytical pads + TYGR foams -- Very even and mid-centric. A little too boring for my tastes.

Balanced pads + stock discs -- Much more lively and energetic. Much more energy at both ends, much better sub-bass presence. Bass is solid with great impact and texture.

Dekoni Elite Velours + TYGR foam discs -- Probably my favourite combination right now. They're more fluid, though at the expense of some of the precision and focus of the stock pads. The soundstage is hard to beat though. Treble is fairly smooth (certainly not muted) and bass is well controlled. Slight dip in the mids, but great crunch, bite, and attack. The clamp is fairly light on my head, so that might explain why I'm not hearing the attenuated treble or blunted transients others have reported. Bass is somewhat looser, less defined, and less impactful versus Balanced pads + stock pads.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #4,203 of 4,776
Been doing some pad and foam disc swapping:

Analytical pads + TYGR foams -- Very even and mid-centric. A little too boring for my tastes.

Balanced pads + stock discs -- Much more lively and energetic. Much more energy at both ends, much better sub-bass presence. Bass is solid with great impact and texture.

Dekoni Elite Velours + TYGR foam discs -- Probably my favourite combination right now. They're more fluid, though at the expense of some of the precision and focus of the stock pads. The soundstage is hard to beat though. Treble is fairly smooth (certainly not muted) and bass is well controlled. Slight dip in the mids, but great crunch, bite, and attack. The clamp is fairly light on my head, so that might explain why I'm not hearing the attenuated treble or blunted transients others have reported. Bass is somewhat looser, less defined, and less impactful versus Balanced pads + stock pads.

Yes, when I finish my AH-D9200s current journey, I plan to come back to the 1990 Pros with the stock balanced pads (without the amiron wireless foam pads, by placing again the stock foam pads), because from what I remember the highs were not unpleasant for me, I only placed the amiron wireless foam pads to hear if I could reach the T 1.3s level of bass with the 1990 Pros but, although you notice a rise on the bass, absolutely no way to reach the T 1.3 level... (only talking here about the bass).

Feb 24, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #4,204 of 4,776
Continuing with where I left off in the prior thread, I will show the wiring for the DT-1990 Pro. What needs to be kept in mind is this may only apply to my set of headphones. Or it could be that Beyer has indeed wired the drivers of the 1770 Pro and 1990 Pro differently. It is up to the individual to figure this out because I can't say for certain. What I do know for certain is that the plugs for the PCB sockets must be in the correct spot or the driver polarity will be messed up.

Anyway, the figure below shows the the stock 3 pin wiring of my DT-1990 Pro.

3 Pin 1990 2.jpg

As can be seen, the wiring for 1990 varies from that of the 1770. Instead of the jack being wired to the right socket of the left driver, it is wired to the left socket. Also, the right driver wiring is connected to the right socket of the left driver. The right driver PCB is wired the same.

Again, if you place the plugs into the other sockets, the signal and ground will be reversed.

The wiring for a 4 pin XLR jack ended up like shown in the figure below.

4 Pin 1990 2.jpg

Actual 1990 stock 3 pin PCB wiring.

1990 left driver.jpg

Anyway, hopefully this can help someone who desires to convert their 1770 or 1990 from a 3 pin XLR to 4 pin XLR jack. I'll leave the subjective part out, but I will say the either way gives excellent performance. I wanted only to take advantage of my 4 pin amplifier jacks.
Wouldn't be that nicer to get another cup with 3pin socket and replace it with other side? Then just connect 2nd driver with OEM connector?

Feb 24, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #4,205 of 4,776
Wouldn't be that nicer to get another cup with 3pin socket and replace it with other side? Then just connect 2nd driver with OEM connector?

Two 3 pin jacks, one for each cup will work too obviously. However, you still need to have 4 wires (2 for each side and use only 2 pins).

Really comes down to choice and what route is preferred. The right side cup would have to be drilled for a new jack (or cup with jack purchased from Beyer), and a 4 conductor headphone cable required.

Doing it single cup doesn't require anything but jack swap and cable swap.

Either way will give identical performance. The single entry cable doesn't bother me.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #4,206 of 4,776
I replaced the amiron wireless foam pads to the stock ones, obviously now cymbals become more perceptible and the bass is not as impactful as with the amiron wireless foam pads... But I notice the sound more clear, with the other foam pads is like a veil blur the sound.

I'm just listening to "Stratovarius - Visions" and the treble don't annoy me. I remember that only with some treble focused albums and the stock pads, the peaks border the annoyance, but I could listen to the songs without issues.

By the way, an incredible experience listening to Stratovarius with these cans :L3000:

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #4,207 of 4,776
By the way, an incredible experience listening to Stratovarius with these cans

Had my cans for a few days, no burn in and stock B pads. maybe my age (47) but i'm not finding the highs to high. I like the sound with my iFi Zen Dac V2 and trubass on, however my ears are pressed against the inside of the phones which is going to be a problem after a few hours of wearing them.

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #4,208 of 4,776
Had my cans for a few days, no burn in and stock B pads. maybe my age (47) but i'm not finding the highs to high. I like the sound with my iFi Zen Dac V2 and trubass on, however my ears are pressed against the inside of the phones which is going to be a problem after a few hours of wearing them.
I think you might want to try Dekoni Elite Velours. They are much thicker then stock pads.

Feb 25, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #4,210 of 4,776
do they alter the sound too much? i saw that graph that removes that dip in the highs and smooths the 8.6khz band.
DT1990-ElVr-1024x555.png

graph.png

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #4,211 of 4,776
OK these headphones are excellent. I recently got into Fleetwood Mac (REALLY late into the party) and man these things just sound amazing, Dreams sounds like nothing I've heard before. That wonderful rise and decay of the first cymbal crash, the meaty bass line along with the amazing voice of Stevie Nicks just nail down everything I like in a song. This is going to be my main headphone for a while.

This! They're so beautiful sounding. I'm using the ifi ZEN DAC V2, it's just amazing, almost emotional in how these headphones sound. I moved from Fidelio X1's a few weeks back. I'm not finding the sibilance some people find in the highs but i'm 47 so probably my ears. The bass is so impactful but fast and responsive. The soundstage is good to the point you can hear where instruments are, that being said, I'm probably comparing chalk and cheese.

Mar 6, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #4,212 of 4,776
Hey, new DT1990 owner here... I'm really torn here, when it comes to "are the headphones sibilant, or am I just really listening to music that is stupid sibilant.

I would really appreciate your input,... Take a listen to this and this... :

HD650 ain't a problem with the two songs... And albums where they come from.

Mar 6, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #4,213 of 4,776
Hey, new DT1990 owner here... I'm really torn here, when it comes to "are the headphones sibilant, or am I just really listening to music that is stupid sibilant.

The mix of "the unforgiven" album is a bit off imo. There is a lot of emphasis on Sharon's voice (ofc) but in an unnatural way. Got the same feeling with all my other headphones as well.
The Skillet song has a bite-y 'S' while the rest of the frequency response seems ok. Swapping to the darker HE-500 didn't change much about those feelings but made it more bearable.
My 2cents: it's more the mix then then headphones in these 2 examples.

Mar 6, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #4,214 of 4,776

I was listening to "Iron" and I can tell what you are talking about with sibilance. Then I decided to listen to it on Amazon Music HD, and lossless, and the sibilance on the edge of her vocals went away, so it's the crap encoding done for the Youtube video.

Mar 6, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #4,215 of 4,776
I was listening to "Iron" and I can tell what you are talking about with sibilance. Then I decided to listen to it on Amazon Music HD, and lossless, and the sibilance on the edge of her vocals went away, so it's the crap encoding done for the Youtube video.
Thanks for the input, should mention listen to Deezer hifi, so the encoding should be fine, - but maybe it's not...?.. I'll have to try amazone HD...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back