Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Mar 8, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #4,231 of 4,782
I'm really tempted to buy a pair of these but I keep going back to the posts I've read on the treble. Some people call it fatiguing.
The build quality sounds great and I love the looks. The price isn't outrageous.
With the balanced pads then treble is not issue, as it's smooth. What is a challenge, is source material, where treble already is forward.

To give a examples. Studio albums from Five finger death punch are perfect - they are very balanced, great imaging soundstages and so on. Try listening to "house of the rising sun“

Skillet with the song monster - really not good. Almost completely opposite.

Katie Melua's first two albums kinda "Sssssh"
The last two, number 8 I think one is called are just perfect.

Mar 8, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #4,232 of 4,782
Dekoni Velours
There is one for sale in the classified section with discounted velours on offer, forget who the seller was :wink:
dt1990.png
Yep imho Dekoni Velours are a must for the DT1990. They make a really big difference to my ears.

Mar 9, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #4,233 of 4,782
Quick question about clampforce... I have adjusted/bent the headband a little bit, so how tight should they be. Right now the clamp is tighter then the DT990 premium but lighter the then DT770. Have I maybe bent it to far?
You CAN bend them inwards, by letting the cups cross each other, for stronger clamping force again. Find the most comfortable, not too tight and not too loose force for your own head.

Mar 10, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #4,234 of 4,782
Do you guys know if Beyer changed something w/ the balanced vs analytical pads lately? Reason I ask is, I had a pair of DT1990 quite some time ago and ended up selling them. Well, I missed them so I bought a new pair, and, for some reason, the foam on my Analytical pads (w/ 4 holes on the backside) is actually stiffer than the foam on my balanced pads, which is the exact opposite of what I remember from my last pair and what others on the forum are describing. Plus I remember hearing much more of a difference between the pads w/ my last pair than I do now. They pretty much sound identical now. There are differences in the number of holes on the back of each pad, but the foam on the balanced pads actually feels softer than the analytical ones. Do you think it's possible the pads are defective or maybe the balanced ones just feel softer because they were what was pre-installed on the headphones?

Thanks for the input.

Mar 11, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #4,235 of 4,782
Do you guys know if Beyer changed something w/ the balanced vs analytical pads lately? Reason I ask is, I had a pair of DT1990 quite some time ago and ended up selling them. Well, I missed them so I bought a new pair, and, for some reason, the foam on my Analytical pads (w/ 4 holes on the backside) is actually stiffer than the foam on my balanced pads, which is the exact opposite of what I remember from my last pair and what others on the forum are describing. Plus I remember hearing much more of a difference between the pads w/ my last pair than I do now. They pretty much sound identical now. There are differences in the number of holes on the back of each pad, but the foam on the balanced pads actually feels softer than the analytical ones. Do you think it's possible the pads are defective or maybe the balanced ones just feel softer because they were what was pre-installed on the headphones?

Thanks for the input.
+1 You are not the only one who has had that though. In terms of comfort, I can't say there is any difference between the A and B pads, one as the other is soft and gives me no problems even after 4 hours. But when talking about sound, then I do hear a difference. The B pads have more warmth and are not so lean as the A pads. Alot of people talk about a mid bass hump on the B pads.

I don't hear it, at least not compared to the HD650. My DT990has a bump mid bass... But the DT1990 with B pads, not so much.

In short, I don't get what DMS and Zreviews was rambling about in terms of comfort.

I got my DT1990 about two weeks ago. And boy do they sound good with them B pads.

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #4,236 of 4,782
I started with B pads on the my DT1990’s, but have come around to the A pads. I prefer the clarity and precision they bring to music. It’s easy to switch them around. If I want a bit more musicality and warmth I can put the B pads back on. That’s the beauty of the DT1990’s, two sounds in one package.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #4,237 of 4,782
+1 You are not the only one who has had that though. In terms of comfort, I can't say there is any difference between the A and B pads, one as the other is soft and gives me no problems even after 4 hours. But when talking about sound, then I do hear a difference. The B pads have more warmth and are not so lean as the A pads. Alot of people talk about a mid bass hump on the B pads.

I don't hear it, at least not compared to the HD650. My DT990has a bump mid bass... But the DT1990 with B pads, not so much.

In short, I don't get what DMS and Zreviews was rambling about in terms of comfort.

I got my DT1990 about two weeks ago. And boy do they sound good with them B pads.
Good to know I'm not the only one. There's definitely a difference in the foam on the analytical pads I have now vs the ones I had before as now the foam is firmer than the balanced pads. Hopefully the sq changes have more to do w/ the holes on the back of the pads than the firmness of the foam.

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #4,238 of 4,782
Does anyone tried 1990 with T1.2 pads? One i used are brand new OEM replacement bought recently so if there was any difference on early batches it might be worth mention. I have a feeling they are quite like OEM balanced pads but a tiny bit more tight on bass and less sibilant on treble and more comfortable (bit thicker)? I was rolling some pads lately and I just don't know if I'm just confused already but i really enjoy this.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #4,240 of 4,782
I've tried Dekoni Elite Velours, Dekoni Suede, OEM T1.2 Velours, two different sets of analytic and of course balanced pads. I'm coming from T1.3 to T1.2 and I'm daily 7Hz Timeless. For me T1.2 pads on 1990 is by far the best set I own right now. As I mentioned, they are v shaped but lows are much tighter and puncher, mids kinda similar to OEM and highs with vocals are smooth but still sparkle enough to be percepted as highly detailed HP. My 1990 are new, maybe ~ 50h of usage, 84XXX SN and I didn't have any sibiliant issues where sometimes I can really get some uncomfortable levels on T1.2

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #4,241 of 4,782
I've tried Dekoni Elite Velours, Dekoni Suede, OEM T1.2 Velours, two different sets of analytic and of course balanced pads. I'm coming from T1.3 to T1.2 and I'm daily 7Hz Timeless. For me T1.2 pads on 1990 is by far the best set I own right now. As I mentioned, they are v shaped but lows are much tighter and puncher, mids kinda similar to OEM and highs with vocals are smooth but still sparkle enough to be percepted as highly detailed HP. My 1990 are new, maybe ~ 50h of usage, 84XXX SN and I didn't have any sibiliant issues where sometimes I can really get some uncomfortable levels on T1.2
How do the T1 pads compare to the stock 1990 pads for comfort? They look a bit plumper

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #4,244 of 4,782
Have anyone tried the new ZMF Beyer+ pads on the DT1990? I love pad rolling on the 1990 and seeing how they are made specifically for Beyerdynamic, it might be promising since the quality of ZMF pads are undeniable.
lmao no but I stumbled upon using DT1990 with ZMF Fenestrated Uni pads.... oddly enough it looks like exactly the same but with a larger ear hole. I wrote quite a bit here IIRC by far the best DT1990 pads I used, got rid of any muddness/veil and cleared the whole FR so they sounded just fantastic...

No idea if they sound the same but if ZMF Fenestrated Uni's are cheaper I would consider getting those....

Wonder if ZMF browses this thread....🤔
(jk... kinda)

Post is here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bey...back-mastering-headphone.814629/post-16765104

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #4,245 of 4,782
lmao no but I stumbled upon using DT1990 with ZMF Fenestrated Uni pads.... oddly enough it looks like exactly the same but with a larger ear hole. I wrote quite a bit here IIRC by far the best DT1990 pads I used, got rid of any muddness/veil and cleared the whole FR so they sounded just fantastic
Haha yeah I read some of your comments on the ZMF fenestrated pads and it made me really tempted to try some of the ZMF pads on the 1990. The only problem is that I already have 4 pair of pads for them(2 stock and dekoni velour and dekoni flannel) and ZMF pads are quite expensive so I don't know which to choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back