Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 17, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #242 of 4,790
Sep 17, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #243 of 4,790
Starting from a maximum of four hole as the earpads '' neutral '' I opened then opened to arrive at the result on the picture! On my set iFi Micro IDSD + iTube + iCan If I have the balance between detail and low frequencies. I find this DT1990 really nice, I go from classical music to rock or jazz without problems.

Psychological effect, the number of holes or placing them I do not know the exact reason for my feelings. Anyway it is with the side with 7 holes on the back that I still love a little more my DT Pro 1990

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #244 of 4,790

Do you say that in terms of bass quality and quantity: 1770<1990<Elear ???
Lol, how can it be? 

I can believe that... had the 1770 for a week and I'm surprised at how polite the bass is, even compared to my DT990 (250 ohm). Seems to be less of a mid-bass hump than the DT990, but slightly more presence in the sub-bass. Curious how the 1990 compares to the 990. 

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #245 of 4,790
Starting from a maximum of four hole as the earpads '' neutral '' I opened then opened to arrive at the result on the picture!

Psychological effect, the number of holes or placing them I do not know the exact reason for my feelings. Anyway it is with the side with 7 holes on the back that I still love a little more my DT Pro 1990

I am inclined to believe the pad hole explanation- not experimented with pad holes before on any headphones but remember reading an interview with the guy who makes the Zenith PMx2 mod and it seemed like an enormous part of his mod was in making the perfect pad, layering materials of different densities and things like that, quite interesting how much pads can affect the sound.

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #246 of 4,790

I can believe that... had the 1770 for a week and I'm surprised at how polite the bass is, even compared to my DT990 (250 ohm). Seems to be less of a mid-bass hump than the DT990, but slightly more presence in the sub-bass. Curious how the 1990 compares to the 990. 

Are we talking about 1770 with leatherette pads? Because i'm listening my pair with leatherette pads and they are slamming just like they should. I'm not basshead, but i'm listening EDM and trip/hip-hop mostly and i can say that 1770 has just right amount of bass q&q for pleasant listening and providing that serious air shaking. Velours have much less bass impact. + i've removed big black foam - it makes 1770 sing even better and enlarges SS a bit.
Pff... i'm curious now to listen 1990 and elear :) elear mostly for sure

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #247 of 4,790
  Are we talking about 1770 with leatherette pads? Because i'm listening my pair with leatherette pads and they are slamming just like they should. I'm not basshead, but i'm listening EDM and trip/hip-hop mostly and i can say that 1770 has just right amount of bass q&q for pleasant listening and providing that serious air shaking. Velours have much less bass impact. + i've removed big black foam - it makes 1770 sing even better and enlarges SS a bit.

I'd say elear bass and treble may not make for the best EDM trip/hip-hop experience.  You'll definitely want one of the Fostex cans imo.

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #248 of 4,790
  I'd say elear bass and treble may not make for the best EDM trip/hip-hop experience.  You'll definitely want one of the Fostex cans imo.

I've tried th-900 and i find its highs very unpleasant especially for long listening. IMO th-900's bass is lack in quantity on the background of its more present highs. I cant say that i'm really sensitive to harsh highs, but man, in th-900 its like torture on most of my deep house tracks and especially on liquid funk/d'n'b, which are mastered really well. Plus i find them uncomfortable, because of pads shape (thin edge?). Weird feeling when i wear them. DT-1770 are much more comfy. So... maybe th-x00/610 are better for EDM. BTW i've heard that th-900 black limited edition are less harsh.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #249 of 4,790
Agreed with the above. I'm into EDM, that's mainly why I buy headphones. I like to go with the suggested options and try them out, to see if they do it for me.

For electronic, I've always loved the Ultrasone Pro 900 and now the Edition 8. I think these are superb choices for the genre.

I owned the TH900 for awhile, in fact, and I completely agree with you about the harsh high end. EDM often has sharp highs, and something about the upper highs was very fatiguing to me with the TH900. I really liked them with a lot of other genres, however, yes they could be really unpleasant in the highs and I could not keep them for the price of admission.

I'd say the THX00's are the best bet in the line-up for Fostex, since you get that really great bass without the extreme highs. They have more midrange and are smoother overall. I have a purpleheart now, and I find it enjoyable. It has an exciting, immersive sound.

I also have an incoming DT1770, as I heard it is really good for the genre. I basically went crazy and decided to just get them all and see what I like.

The XB-1000 is also really fun with its deep sub bass. It's got a unique low, low bass that's really enjoyable. And it's not bloated bass either.

If you're looking for an IEM, I absolutely love the Yamaha EPH-100. I stopped buying IEM's after that, since I like these so darn much.

Overall, I've always been an Ultrasone fan-boy, and the 900 was what really what pulled me into this hobby as a whole. I think they do exceptionally well with their great bass impact, good imaging, fast sound, etc. There were other ones though that I wanted to try though, and I'm having a lot of fun doing it!

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #250 of 4,790
  I've tried th-900 and i find its highs very unpleasant especially for long listening. IMO th-900's bass is lack in quantity on the background of its more present highs. I cant say that i'm really sensitive to harsh highs, but man, in th-900 its like torture on most of my deep house tracks and especially on liquid funk/d'n'b, which are mastered really well. Plus i find them uncomfortable, because of pads shape (thin edge?). Weird feeling when i wear them. DT-1770 are much more comfy. So... maybe th-x00/610 are better for EDM. BTW i've heard that th-900 black limited edition are less harsh.

Indeed, the highs/ upper-mid range of the TH900 does sound a bit harsh and have a bit of glare at times. Not that it would solve the problem completely, but amp pairings do help with the TH-900.  I'm not quite sure I could handle more bass than the TH-900 currently has....after the highs have been dealt with (amp pairing, "burn-in", Lawton, etc.) you do have arguably the best bass headphone out there.  Haven't heard all that much about the limited edition though.  

610 lacked the same bass I found to be quite awesome on the TH-900, would go with perhaps the X00 instead...

The Elears, while sounding nice, have a bit of bloom in the lower end that makes it slower sounding.  It also happens to be less controlled and doesn't deliver quite the same punch as the Fostex cans.  The treble is rather inoffensive and it may take away that excitement from EDM...

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #251 of 4,790

The DT 1990 is really good for EDM and trip/hip-hop, so far better than the DT 1770 and Nighthawk imho, though I like all for those genres. I am finding the DT 1990 is still burning in though, been one of the more interesting cases of burn-in I've experienced, so I'm holding off on any definite conclusions before then. Have no experience with the Elear yet, will hear most of the new stuff in about a month.

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #254 of 4,790
  The one with more holes and the black back is the balanced pad. The one with less holes and the grey back are the analytical ones. Your pads look different from mine. What's the serial number on the pair your borrowing? Mine is #5799.

OK thanks for your help. 
I wonder why there are different pads? My serial-number is 5749. 

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #255 of 4,790

I was comparing velour (DT1770) with velour (DT990). Yes, the leatherette on the DT1770 do accentuate the bass a bit more. Where's the black foam? You talking about the foam covering the driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back