Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 12, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #211 of 4,790
Do they still use the same stretching clip in ear pads as DT770/880/990? I found it really inconvenient to change the pads - it wasn't easy. Wonder why they wouldn't use a system similar to AKG K702, with a simple screw on lock? Especially that now you have those neutral/balanced pads, which one would need to change quite often (switching between listening and producing mode).

When comes to sound. How big is the soundstage in DT1990? How does it compare in size and depth to T1.2? I heard that T1.2 has a great soundstage, comparable to that of HD800. Do they also give that out of head experience when listening? Would it be a significant upgrade from K702, which I own atm?

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #212 of 4,790
Do they still use the same stretching clip in ear pads as DT770/880/990? I found it really inconvenient to change the pads - it wasn't easy. Wonder why they wouldn't use a system similar to AKG K702, with a simple screw on lock? Especially that now you have those neutral/balanced pads, which one would need to change quite often (switching between listening and producing mode).

When comes to sound. How big is the soundstage in DT1990? How does it compare in size and depth to T1.2? I heard that T1.2 has a great soundstage, comparable to that of HD800. Do they also give that out of head experience when listening? Would it be a significant upgrade from K702, which I own atm?

Yes they still use the same earpad solution. But ther is a small noth in the nearside rim that helps to do the change. From an engineering standpoint this technique warrants the best seal of the pads.
Compared to the AKG K series it is first a matter of personal taste and second, the Tesla driver of the DT1990 is easier to drive.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #215 of 4,790
  K812 to me.  It's definitely not quite as anemic as the K702.

Looking forward to your review 
gs1000.gif

I'm curious how the 1990's sound compared to the 990's, T90's and T1's. An open-back Beyer showdown!

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #216 of 4,790

Looking forward to your review 
gs1000.gif

I'm curious how the 1990's sound compared to the 990's and T1's

I am definitely looking forward to when these touch down....no news yet from Beyer regarding when these will arrive in Singapore.  I should seriously hope that they would arrive before I return to the US.  I will literally faint if I have to coordinate a review during the moving process.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #223 of 4,790
Kman, please post impressions compared to your DT1770, especially in bass impact and quantity. I'd assumed closed has the advantage in that area, however, the DT990 was able to have some thumpy bass even though it was open.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #224 of 4,790
I look forward to your review.

I am at an impasse...I like the Beyer sound, but I'm torn between several models for my next mid- to upper- range headphones. I'm hoping to get some help from reviews here. I like rock music almost exclusively, no EDM, gaming, some jazz, very little classical music. I love the Grado sound but hate on-ear.

I am trying to decide between the DT-1990, Sennheiser HD-650, Philips Fidelio X2, the T90....I fully admit to liking a more smiley-faced EQ; one more typical for rock music. I had the HD-600 and found them a bit boring. 

Anyway - not wanting to thread hijack. Excited about the DT-1990.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #225 of 4,790
  Kman, please post impressions compared to your DT1770, especially in bass impact and quantity. I'd assumed closed has the advantage in that area, however, the DT990 was able to have some thumpy bass even though it was open.

I am planning to. With the balanced pads it doesn't seem far off in terms of bass impact, a bit less but nothing dramatic on my system(Sony UDA-1 both amp and dac, haven't gotten to my tube amp yet). Haven't tried the Analytical pads or anything. It still has less than 30 minutes on it though, so initial break-in and adjustment hasn't happened yet. Give me a few days and I can give you better impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back