Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 16, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #227 of 4,790
  Don't the 1770's and 1990's share the same driver or something? In that case, I would think they do not sound vastly different anyways.

They may, it's something I would have to test, I need to open up the DT 1990 and see if dampening on the drivers themselves is different and I would also have to try swapping the drivers with the same amount of dampening(if it's possible). They do sound quite different to me, I can hear a family resemblance but they are quite different. The headphones sound very different with the analytical pads btw.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #228 of 4,790
Today they landed in a shop window display only 50m away from my apartment. That is very tempting...... Maybe I can give them a listen tomorrow.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #229 of 4,790
I have to say this new DT1990 is for me a great compromise, it brings the whole dynamic of the Tesla driver, the same impact as the DT1770. But especially the sound pressure is absent unlike the DT1770 with a really pleasant open feeling. So maybe the best helmet is simply to have the DT1770 and 1990 ahahaha

I could compare the new Focal ELear 24 hours at the DT1990, they both have strong arguments to justify their purchase. But I prefer the versatility of Beyerdynamic. In Europe the DT1990 is 599€, with neutral pads only. I find it remarkable for all types of listening. I could not have done if my choice was focused on ELear !

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #230 of 4,790
Today they landed in a shop window display only 50m away from my apartment. That is very tempting...... Maybe I can give them a listen tomorrow.

They are worth listening to, just finished the initial burn-in on these, it's become very tactile sounding, much moreso than the DT 1770 or any other headphone I've owned, the bass is hitting harder too. I just feel the instruments and vocals now. The extra airflow from the open-back design is really letting the drivers breath compared to the DT 1770 and no more cup resonance. I have a strong feeling these will become my favorite headphones by a large margin.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #231 of 4,790
They are worth listening to, just finished the initial burn-in on these, it's become very tactile sounding, much moreso than the DT 1770 or any other headphone I've owned, the bass is hitting harder too. I just feel the instruments and vocals now. The extra airflow from the open-back design is really letting the drivers breath compared to the DT 1770 and no more cup resonance. I have a strong feeling these will become my favorite headphones by a large margin.

Omg :nerd:

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #232 of 4,790

What's also nice is how much the pads change the sound, it really is like two headphones in one. The balanced pads is a more intimate tactile sound with a bit of a mid-bass but also has slightly sharper treble, it takes on a slight v-shape sound. The analytical pads are flatter sounding as in the frequency is balanced and the treble is smoother on them and the soundstage becomes a good deal larger. Not sure which pads I like more, it will really just depend on the music. The analytical pads on my DT 1990 only has four holes on the underside despite the manual showing 12 holes on the underside. The balanced pads have 20 holes on the underside. Still has great dynamics and tactility on both pads.

Here is the inside of the DT 1990, seems to be the same as the DT 1770 except with the holes as shown and a couple other minor differences. Dampening on the driver itself seems exactly the same.

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #235 of 4,790
  I have to say this Neyer DT1990 is for me a great compromise, it brings the whole dynamic of the Tesla driver, the same impact as the DT1770. But especially the sound pressure is absent unlike the DT1770 with a really pleasant open feeling. So maybe the best helmet is simply to have the DT1770 and 1990 ahahaha

I could compare the new Focal ELear 24 hours at the DT1990, they both have strong arguments to justify their purchase. But I prefer the versatility of Beyerdynamic. In Europe the DT1990 is 599€, with neutral pads only. I find it remarkable for all types of listening. I could not have done if my choice was focused on ELear !

Which one has more Bass? quantity and quality? 1990 Pro or Focal Elear?

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #236 of 4,790
Sep 17, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #237 of 4,790

Which one has more Bass? quantity and quality? 1990 Pro or Focal Elear?

The Elear on both counts.

Do you say that in terms of bass quality and quantity: 1770<1990<Elear ???
Lol, how can it be? 

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #238 of 4,790
Hi all DT-1990 Pro owners. Do any of you know which of the two included pads are the "Analytical" sounding and which one is the "well balanced" sounding?

I have tried to change a few times but during the time it takes to change the pads I have forgotten the details of how the former pad sounded - so obviously the difference is not night and day....
And since I am only borrowing these for a short time for comparing to my DT-1770 I do not want to be too fast and violent in shifting the pads too fast. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #239 of 4,790
Hi all DT-1990 Pro owners. Do any of you know which of the two included pads are the "Analytical" sounding and which one is the "well balanced" sounding?

I have tried to change a few times but during the time it takes to change the pads I have forgotten the details of how the former pad sounded - so obviously the difference is not night and day....
And since I am only borrowing these for a short time for comparing to my DT-1770 I do not want to be too fast and violent in shifting the pads too fast. 

You seem to have different pads as kman1211, and yes the rim of the pads suffers from too often changing them.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #240 of 4,790

The one with more holes and the black back is the balanced pad. The one with less holes and the grey back are the analytical ones. Your pads look different from mine. What's the serial number on the pair your borrowing? Mine is #5799.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back