Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 20, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #271 of 4,790
  There are different versions of the pads already too, which may change impressions a bit. I find my DT 1990 with balanced pads to have a bigger bass than my DT 1770. 

I've tried the different A/B pads on the 1990 as described in the article but I have to say that in my experience the 1770 bass was always punchier, even compared to the 1990 on B pads.
It however does depend a lot on the amplifier used, in example my 339 with B pads had more bass than the DT1770 on the Hugon but that isn't a fair comparison. What amplifier were you using and what was the rest of the setup If I may ask?

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #272 of 4,790

I've tried the different A/B pads on the 1990 as described in the article but I have to say that in my experience the 1770 bass was always punchier, even compared to the 1990 on B pads.
It however does depend a lot on the amplifier used, in example my 339 with B pads had more bass than the DT1770 on the Hugon but that isn't a fair comparison. What amplifier were you using and what was the rest of the setup If I may ask?

It was like that on all the amps I tried. The Sony UDA-1, Project Sunrise III(all tubes I tried), FiiO E12, directly plugged into my phone and laptop. Was always the case in my experience. But in my experience Beyers vary a bit in sound, I found it the case with the T1 as well.

I mean there are different versions of both the A and B pads. The newer A pads have 4 holes instead of 12. The new B pads seem to have a black foam instead of white.

These are my pads.

This is the older revision of the pads

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #274 of 4,790
  It are the older version of the pads which I'm talking about

Ah, I am curious how the pads are different sonically. I wonder why Beyer changed the pads so early in the production. I think on the newer versions, the difference between the pads may be more dramatic. For me the B pads remind me of the DT 1770 with velours but better in almost all ways while the A pads remind me a bit of the T1 gen 2 in sound but not quite having the same ethereal imaging(not sure else how to describe it) I found the T1.2 to have but it has been a while since I heard the T1.2 so that's off memory alone. 

Sep 20, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #275 of 4,790
@Ultrainferno, enjoyed the review as usual. Since you seemed to find your portable sources somewhat tolerable, do you suppose a Picollo (amp version) could handle the 1990's acceptably?

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #277 of 4,790

I have been comparing the two for some nights now and I have to answer NO to this.

1990 does not have the same sub-bas as 1770. When listening to a Marcus Miller recording or just jazz with acoustic bass the sub-bass clearly fills up more room in 1770 than it does in 1990. So in terms of sound the 1990 tends to be a bit brighter sounding than 1770. 

I see you have the same Meier dac/amp setup as I do. I loved my DT 770 Pro, but sold it to a friend when I wanted to try the Fidelio X2 (ended up being too dark for me). I was tempted to get the 1770 Pro, but I felt it might be too similar to my Fostex X00. I was looking to upgrade to a flagship open headphone, but was having a tough time motivating myself to spend more than a grand. I write reviews and like to have a couple different headphones (along with my room speaker setup) to compare, but man, is an Ether Flow really worth the extra $1,200? 

Beyond the other Beyer phones, what would be the closest comparison/competition for the 1990 Pro?

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #279 of 4,790

I see you have the same Meier dac/amp setup as I do. I loved my DT 770 Pro, but sold it to a friend when I wanted to try the Fidelio X2 (ended up being too dark for me). I was tempted to get the 1770 Pro, but I felt it might be too similar to my Fostex X00. I was looking to upgrade to a flagship open headphone, but was having a tough time motivating myself to spend more than a grand. I write reviews and like to have a couple different headphones (along with my room speaker setup) to compare, but man, is an Ether Flow really worth the extra $1,200? 

Beyond the other Beyer phones, what would be the closest comparison/competition for the 1990 Pro?

Probably the Audioquest Nighthawk(sort of similar to Fostex's but tuned differently) and Hifiman HE-560. All can be had around the same price but the Hifimans do vary more in cost. When I do my full review of the DT 1990 Pro I plan on doing it as a comparison review of it with the Nighthawks. The HD 700 is another competitor, but I feel it has more flaws than the Nighthawks, HE-560, and DT 1990. I find the DT 1770 to have quite a different presentation than Fostex phones, the DT 1990 is a more refined DT 1770 overall with somewhat different tuning but still has the DT 1770 euphoric magic to it.

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #280 of 4,790
Thanks. I don't doubt there's differences between the X00 and DT 1770, but overall it seems both have nice bass and great for heavy rock and metal. I'm just looking for an open back that doesn't necessarily have to emphasize bass. It seems these might work. I also used to have the LCD2-2, which sounded great, but were so heavy they gave me headaches. HiFiMan also has that problem, except the HE560 are nearly as light as the 1990 (370g) at 375g. I've heard good things about the Nighthawk too.

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #281 of 4,790
  Thanks. I don't doubt there's differences between the X00 and DT 1770, but overall it seems both have nice bass and great for heavy rock and metal. I'm just looking for an open back that doesn't necessarily have to emphasize bass. It seems these might work. I also used to have the LCD2-2, which sounded great, but were so heavy they gave me headaches. HiFiMan also has that problem, except the HE560 are nearly as light as the 1990 (370g) at 375g. I've heard good things about the Nighthawk too.

On the DT 1990 it depends on the pads, the analytical pads don't emphasize the bass(very linear bass actually) while the balanced do some. The Nighthawk has some bass emphasis but also don't feel out of place. The HE-560 is the headphone I'm the least familiar with of them but found them on the linear side. I find all three really comfortable to me, no excessive heaviness like the LCD's/

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #282 of 4,790
@Ultrainferno, enjoyed the review as usual. Since you seemed to find your portable sources somewhat tolerable, do you suppose a Picollo (amp version) could handle the 1990's acceptably?

With the B-Pads and the Picollo, the DT1990PRO has good body in bass and mids but not like the Erzetich or the 339 OTL, it's more in line and natural. Speed is good, attack is good, detail is good. Sound stage isn't the widest but the sound is very rich and musical. I like this combination

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #283 of 4,790
With the B-Pads and the Picollo, the DT1990PRO has good body in bass and mids but not like the Erzetich or the 339 OTL, it's more in line and natural. Speed is good, attack is good, detail is good. Sound stage isn't the widest but the sound is very rich and musical. I like this combination

Thanks very much, glad to know it! Just got a secondhand Picollo today & really enjoying it in the short time I've spent w/ it.

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #284 of 4,790
Thanks very much, glad to know it! Just got a secondhand Picollo today & really enjoying it in the short time I've spent w/ it.

The Picollo is an awesome unit and it's even great with a lot of full sized headphones. Do try an Audeze LCD-2 with it if you ave the chance, i really love that combination.

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #285 of 4,790

I have THx00 PH and the DT1770. Both have really solid bass with emphasis, and both sound really great. The DT1770 is a substantial improvement to the DT770 and I am very happy I upgraded, even though I was a little skeptical. It has a rich, smooth sound, is detailed, great bass, it's really very excellent and lovely as a closed back. Mids are impressive too. It gets rid of the treble sharpness and spikes of the original DT770 which was fatiguing and is just more rich and detailed and smooth.

The DT1770 doesn't really seem to have a weakness either. Just pure, pleasing music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back