Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Mar 16, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #1,591 of 4,782
Mar 16, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #1,594 of 4,782
I've been hovering over these for a couple of weeks but saw £338 on Amazon Warehouse deals and almost broke my mouse in the hurry to order. Quality says very good but in my experience, all of the headphones I've had from the warehouse with very good as the stated quality have been pristine. Looking forward to monday now and I've already cleared space on my headphone stands (mug trees really) for them to sit along side my HE400i and HD650 :)

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #1,595 of 4,782
I've been hovering over these for a couple of weeks but saw £338 on Amazon Warehouse deals and almost broke my mouse in the hurry to order. Quality says very good but in my experience, all of the headphones I've had from the warehouse with very good as the stated quality have been pristine. Looking forward to monday now and I've already cleared space on my headphone stands (mug trees really) for them to sit along side my HE400i and HD650 :)
That is a very good deal. My dealings with Amazon warehouse have been mixed, bought some Audio Technica ATH M50X described as very good were actually brand new and untouched, and my first pair of Beyer 1990, also described as very good from A WH were DOA, fortunately I've Amazon easy to deal, either way at that price you can't go wrong!.

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #1,596 of 4,782
Nice surprise, they got here a day early and they even managed to struggle through a blizard to get them here - that's service :D

Checked them over as they are a warehouse deal and although they've been opened they are pristine and most importantly they work perfectly.

Putting them through their paces with a spot of Steely Dan, Michael Jackson and Drake (for insane bass). First thing I notice is the imaging, it's quite incredible and a big improvement on my HE400i's and I'm already sitting here with a stupid grin on my face. :)

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,597 of 4,782
Nice surprise, they got here a day early and they even managed to struggle through a blizard to get them here - that's service :D

Checked them over as they are a warehouse deal and although they've been opened they are pristine and most importantly they work perfectly.

Putting them through their paces with a spot of Steely Dan, Michael Jackson and Drake (for insane bass). First thing I notice is the imaging, it's quite incredible and a big improvement on my HE400i's and I'm already sitting here with a stupid grin on my face. :)
Good to hear your enjoying them, they can only get better!.

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #1,598 of 4,782
Made a new cable for my DT 1990's :) 6ft Moon Audio Black Dragon cable with Oyaide P-275T 6.3mm rhodium plug and Switchcraft TA3FSH 3-pin mini XLR connector. Did not like the length or springiness of the stock cable, this is much better!

IMAG0028.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,599 of 4,782
Made a new cable for my DT 1990's :) 6ft Moon Audio Black Dragon cable with Oyaide P-275T 6.3mm rhodium plug and Switchcraft TA3FSH 3-pin mini XLR connector. Did not like the length or springiness of the stock cable, this is much better!

Nice work, has it had any affect on the sound?.

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #1,600 of 4,782
Thanks! I haven't had the chance for an in-depth comparison with the stock cable. However, I made a similar cable for my Sennheiser 600 series headphones and felt that there is a significant improvement in the sound quality. I'll listen side-by-side tomorrow and let you know if it sounds any different :)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #1,601 of 4,782
Thanks! I haven't had the chance for an in-depth comparison with the stock cable. However, I made a similar cable for my Sennheiser 600 series headphones and felt that there is a significant improvement in the sound quality. I'll listen side-by-side tomorrow and let you know if it sounds any different :)
Cheers!, it would be interesting to know.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #1,602 of 4,782

I think I'm the only one who has no problems with the stock cable, the coiled one at least which I always used since the 1990s arrived a week ago :)
I would change it only to have some sonic improvement.

On this topic, I leave my cans playing a loop of "burn in" videos from YouTube while I'm at work.
Got them from Warehouse Deals but in mint condition actually, I guess they were barely used once and sent back.
They sounded great from the start with the A pads, but the "cooking" made them even better... Well, to my ears.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #1,603 of 4,782
Custom
I think I'm the only one who has no problems with the stock cable, the coiled one at least which I always used since the 1990s arrived a week ago :)
I would change it only to have some sonic improvement.

On this topic, I leave my cans playing a loop of "burn in" videos from YouTube while I'm at work.
Got them from Warehouse Deals but in mint condition actually, I guess they were barely used once and sent back.
They sounded great from the start with the A pads, but the "cooking" made them even better... Well, to my ears.

There are no problems with the stock cable unless you want the 1990 to play a little bit better. Then you need a decent custom cable (mine's Oyaide for example). The difference can be heard immediately. For me it was punchier bass and calmed sibilants.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #1,604 of 4,782
Custom

There are no problems with the stock cable unless you want the 1990 to play a little bit better. Then you need a decent custom cable (mine's Oyaide for example). The difference can be heard immediately. For me it was punchier bass and calmed sibilants.

Which cable in particular?

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #1,605 of 4,782
Cheers!, it would be interesting to know.

So, did a bunch of side-by-side listening between the stock uncoiled cable and my Black Dragon cable.

My impressions are very much in line with what I experienced with my HD 600 series Black Dragon cable. The custom cable improves the sound-stage and imaging. In particular, it increases the sound-stage and makes the image wider, more enveloping. Also gives the impression of increased resolution.

Obviously this isn't any kind of double-blind test, but I tried my best to avoid confirmation bias. Once I noticed the difference in one track, I specifically focused on that aspect of the sound and listened to tracks that would display the differences best. Switched back and for no fewer than ten times, minimizing the amount of time between in switch (got it down to probably 5-6 seconds).

I didn't used to believe in cables making a difference in sound, until I made the Black Dragon for my Senn's and did the same comparison with their stock cable, then I became a believer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back