Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Mar 1, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #1,531 of 4,782
Thanks for the kind words! This is my first pair of Beyers, only having heard the DT 770 in the past, seems they should be a good counterpoint to the Sennheiser house sound. Glad to hear the Elise is treating you well, I've read great things about it. I have no idea what to expect from the Espressivo MKII, there is very little information out there on this new and improved iteration. It's currently on its way to me from Poland. Have some excellent tubes to put in it when it arrives :) hopefully some of what has made the Elise so popular has trickled down.
You should find the 1990 less bright than the 770, the 1990's highs are smoother, (slightly) less extended and also has warmer mids, they should aslo pair well with the Espressivo, there isn't a lot of info on it as you say, but it has been mentioned a couple times on the Elise impressions thread, but I know from my experience with the Elise that F.A gear is very good, so I think you're in for some good audio fun!.

Enjoy your new gear! :L3000:

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,532 of 4,782
Ok I own the 1990 ans use A pads.
I find mids recessed and bothersome. Soundstage size also is lacking.

BTW, decent interconnect cables can also improve soundstage a little bit (and sound quality overall of course). Unfortunately I cannot recommend any specific brand, because I use DIY cables. But it is worth to check this option if possible.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #1,533 of 4,782
I'm I the only one finding snare drums hitting way to hard on this headphone? I like it alot both from my mojo and mjolnir 2, but the insanely sharp and hard hitting snare drums make it fatiguing too fast imo.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #1,535 of 4,782
I'm I the only one finding snare drums hitting way to hard on this headphone? I like it alot both from my mojo and mjolnir 2, but the insanely sharp and hard hitting snare drums make it fatiguing too fast imo.
Can't say I have any trouble with it in that respect either, although, of course there could be many reasons why you find it fatiguing, e.g. your hearing, set up, recordings etc, a tube amp would maybe do the trick but it could be the 1990 is just not the right hp for you.

Mar 4, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #1,539 of 4,782
Oh okay, I didn't know that. I wish more headphones were forgiving of recordings. Dt 1990 pro is said to be amazing for metal, but metal is a genere that has alot of poorly recorded songs. This makes me feel like dt 1990 pro isn't that good for metal after all. I don't want to cut the playlists i enjoy in half because the headphone is making me do that, i'd rather buy an lcd 2c and enjoy all of it.

Mar 4, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #1,541 of 4,782
Tidal hi-fi -> Audioquest carbon usb -> schiit eitr -> carbon coax -> gumby -> Audioquest water xlr -> Mjolnir 2 + ifi 6922 nos tubes (with audioquest nrg x3 power cables for gumby and mj2). I also have a chord mojo, witch people tend to like with them (myself included). As mentioned, i don't think my gear is the problem.

Wow, that album definetly sounded amazing on them though! I just don't feel it gives me any more reason to keep them. I want to be able to enjoy all my personal favorite metal tracks, the beyers mostly don't let me do that.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #1,542 of 4,782
Tidal hi-fi -> Audioquest carbon usb -> schiit eitr -> carbon coax -> gumby -> Audioquest water xlr -> Mjolnir 2 + ifi 6922 nos tubes (with audioquest nrg x3 power cables for gumby and mj2). I also have a chord mojo, witch people tend to like with them (myself included). As mentioned, i don't think my gear is the problem.

Wow, that album definetly sounded amazing on them though! I just don't feel it gives me any more reason to keep them. I want to be able to enjoy all my personal favorite metal tracks, the beyers mostly don't let me do that.
What headphones do you currently use that lets you enjoy all of your music? I'd find it quite hard to limit my self to 4-5 headphones for all of the different genres that I like to listen to.

Mar 4, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,543 of 4,782
What headphones do you currently use that lets you enjoy all of your music? I'd find it quite hard to limit my self to 4-5 headphones for all of the different genres that I like to listen to.
I find the DT1990’s the best ‘all rounders’ I have come across. If I was pressed to keep just ONE pair of cans, it would be the 1990’s.
However, I agree with you. Different headphones have different ‘voices’ for different genres of music. Classical? HD800. Jazz? T1.2. Rock/Pop? DT1990.
BUT the 1990’s are awesome all-rounders IMO.

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #1,544 of 4,782
I find the amiron home to be a very good all arounder for music that isn’t aggressive. For edm i currently use sony z7 atm, witch i love for the genere (waiting for zmf atticus). Dt 1990 pro was supposed to cover metal and rock, but when i tried audeze lcd 2c at the store, I immediantly knew that was the better option for me. Every poor recording i threw at them sounded good, witch was the biggest difference from dt 1990 pro. The planar bass and more forgiving sound was welcome as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back