1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by xero1, Jul 19, 2016.
First

Back
93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102
104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113
Next

Last
  1. Scutey
    You should find the 1990 less bright than the 770, the 1990's highs are smoother, (slightly) less extended and also has warmer mids, they should aslo pair well with the Espressivo, there isn't a lot of info on it as you say, but it has been mentioned a couple times on the Elise impressions thread, but I know from my experience with the Elise that F.A gear is very good, so I think you're in for some good audio fun!.

Enjoy your new gear! :L3000:

L0rdGwyn likes this.
  2. FND_UA
    BTW, decent interconnect cables can also improve soundstage a little bit (and sound quality overall of course). Unfortunately I cannot recommend any specific brand, because I use DIY cables. But it is worth to check this option if possible.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  3. EDMlord
    I'm I the only one finding snare drums hitting way to hard on this headphone? I like it alot both from my mojo and mjolnir 2, but the insanely sharp and hard hitting snare drums make it fatiguing too fast imo.

4. Giovani Loschiavo
    Not really man, in fact sometimes I EQ mine to sound more bright for certain songs.

5. Scutey
    Can't say I have any trouble with it in that respect either, although, of course there could be many reasons why you find it fatiguing, e.g. your hearing, set up, recordings etc, a tube amp would maybe do the trick but it could be the 1990 is just not the right hp for you.

6. FND_UA
    What tracks give you this problem?

7. EDMlord
    I use this headphone mostly for metal (as that is the only genere it outclasses my other headphones), witch is where i often find it problematic. For example some of the tracks on Periphery's iii album gives me this problem.

8. oldmate
    That particular album if it is indeed the CD version is poorly mastered.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/113003

I recently purchased these headphones myself and as I am finding out very quickly with these cans garbage in = garbage out.

I had to go through my music collection and weed out the crap. There was a lot!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  9. EDMlord
    Oh okay, I didn't know that. I wish more headphones were forgiving of recordings. Dt 1990 pro is said to be amazing for metal, but metal is a genere that has alot of poorly recorded songs. This makes me feel like dt 1990 pro isn't that good for metal after all. I don't want to cut the playlists i enjoy in half because the headphone is making me do that, i'd rather buy an lcd 2c and enjoy all of it.

10. oldmate
    Don't give up on them mate. Have a listen to Opeth's Ghost Reveries - not all metal is badly mastered.

I say this without knowing what your audio chain is - as others have stated it could be that.

George Taylor likes this.
  11. EDMlord
    Tidal hi-fi -> Audioquest carbon usb -> schiit eitr -> carbon coax -> gumby -> Audioquest water xlr -> Mjolnir 2 + ifi 6922 nos tubes (with audioquest nrg x3 power cables for gumby and mj2). I also have a chord mojo, witch people tend to like with them (myself included). As mentioned, i don't think my gear is the problem.

Wow, that album definetly sounded amazing on them though! I just don't feel it gives me any more reason to keep them. I want to be able to enjoy all my personal favorite metal tracks, the beyers mostly don't let me do that.

12. DavidA
    What headphones do you currently use that lets you enjoy all of your music? I'd find it quite hard to limit my self to 4-5 headphones for all of the different genres that I like to listen to.

13. kelly200269
    I find the DT1990’s the best ‘all rounders’ I have come across. If I was pressed to keep just ONE pair of cans, it would be the 1990’s.
    However, I agree with you. Different headphones have different ‘voices’ for different genres of music. Classical? HD800. Jazz? T1.2. Rock/Pop? DT1990.
    BUT the 1990’s are awesome all-rounders IMO.

George Taylor, DavidA and FND_UA like this.
  14. EDMlord
    I find the amiron home to be a very good all arounder for music that isn’t aggressive. For edm i currently use sony z7 atm, witch i love for the genere (waiting for zmf atticus). Dt 1990 pro was supposed to cover metal and rock, but when i tried audeze lcd 2c at the store, I immediantly knew that was the better option for me. Every poor recording i threw at them sounded good, witch was the biggest difference from dt 1990 pro. The planar bass and more forgiving sound was welcome as well.

15. oldmate
    This might,

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather Tracks 3,4 and 6.

First

Back
93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102
104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113
Next

Last