Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 26, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #3,587 of 3,701
Serialnr 9xx. Still fine. Light use

Nov 24, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #3,589 of 3,701
Hello

I just ordered DT-1770 with Dekoni sheepskin pads and replacement foam pads for the drivers.
I'm planning to have those headphones for some time, so I'm preparing.
What I'm wondering is; how about headband cushion is material that is made of durable?
And how about headband cable any problems there?
Any of you have the 2015/2016 copy with original headband cushion and cable; could you share some photos what state it is in?

Thx
Paweł

Recently I replaced 1770PRO head cushion with new one. I purchased those phones in October 2015, That is, at least it last 6 years in my environment.

Attachments

• DSC_0705.JPG
    DSC_0705.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 28, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #3,590 of 3,701
If I'm shopping for a closed-backed, high impedance headphone to use with an OTL tube amp (Schiit Valhalla) is the 1770 Pro still on the short list?

What others should I also be looking at that are <$1000?

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #3,592 of 3,701
I would also look at Kennerton

I've never even heard of them.

Do they have any models that are >100 ohm? All the models I'm looking at on their website within budget are 33 ohms.

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #3,593 of 3,701
If I'm shopping for a closed-backed, high impedance headphone to use with an OTL tube amp (Schiit Valhalla) is the 1770 Pro still on the short list?

What others should I also be looking at that are <$1000?
~ You do not have to be restricted only to high input impedance headphones. The Valhalla II has nominal output impedances of 3.5 ohms and 14 ohms in the low gain and high gain settings respectively. I run successfully (read: enjoyably) headphones ranging from the Audeze LCD-X (20 ohms) via low gain to the Beyerdynamic DT800 (600 ohms) via high gain. [Yes, I do own the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro (250 ohms) - l like it a lot, but I like more the Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition (32 ohms).]
~ Of course, the Valhalla II works really well with high input impedance headphones such as the DT1770 Pro and the ZMFs. But these are far better served by higher output impedance OTLs such as Bottle Crack 1.1, Feliks Elise, Feliks Euforia, Woo Audio WA2…

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #3,594 of 3,701

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #3,595 of 3,701
~ You do not have to be restricted only to high input impedance headphones. The Valhalla II has nominal output impedances of 3.5 ohms and 14 ohms in the low gain and high gain settings respectively. I run successfully (read: enjoyably) headphones ranging from the Audeze LCD-X (20 ohms) via low gain to the Beyerdynamic DT800 (600 ohms) via high gain. [Yes, I do own the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro (250 ohms) - l like it a lot, but I like more the Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition (32 ohms).]
~ Of course, the Valhalla II works really well with high input impedance headphones such as the DT1770 Pro and the ZMFs. But these are far better served by higher output impedance OTLs such as Bottle Crack 1.1, Feliks Elise, Feliks Euforia, Woo Audio WA2…

Thanks, but I already have low impedance cans (HE6SE, HE400i) to use with my MJ2 (see sig).

I'm not looking to get more planars right now.

But I'll definitely look at the ZMFs.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #3,597 of 3,701
The Gjallahorns and Magni are Graphene Dynamics drivers, not planars.

The line about planars was in reference to the Audezes mentioned.

But the 33 ohms of the Kennertons are lower than I'm shopping for.

I'm looking specifically for high impedance closed back phones.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #3,598 of 3,701
The line about planars was in reference to the Audezes mentioned.

But the 32 ohms of the Kennertons are lower than I'm shopping for.

I'm looking specifically for high impedance closed back phones.
The high input impedance closed/back headphones, other than DT1770 Pro, that come to mind are ZMF Atticus and ZMF Eikon: $1100, warm and $1400, closer to neutral. Both have nominal impedance of 300 ohms. Both flourish with the Woo WA2.

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #3,599 of 3,701
Recently I got a pair of used DT 1770 PRO. There was a notable channel imbalance, where vocals (especially female) would sit about 10 degrees to the left from the center. There was also this distortion which made it almost sound like the drivers are out of phase with each other.
Then I came across this post.
To show what I mean by it being misaligned, here is what it looks like on my left driver.

I opened it up and my left driver looked exactly like that. More interestingly, a bit of hot glue which hold the mini-XLR connector was on the fiber/paper of the driver as well. I re-aligned the rubber and cleaned up the glue as much as I could (didn't want to risk damaging the driver so there's still a bit left there).
And then, voila! This got rid of the distortion entirely. The clarity and imaging also seem to have improved remarkably, probably because now it's distortion-free. Unfortunately there's still a bit of channel imbalance left, most possibly due to the small amount of remaining glue. However still it's a HUGE improvement and the imbalance is almost unnoticeable unless I'm determined to hear it. I'm more than happy with the result.
A huge thanks to kman1211 for sharing your experience. You saved me a load of bucks.

Now come to think of it, maybe that was the very reason the previous owner gave this pair up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back