Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 1, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #3,151 of 3,701

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 10.52.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 10.52.26 AM.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 0
Nov 2, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #3,153 of 3,701
I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the pleather ear pads attached to my new DT1770s. I can get the velour pads on and off fairly easily but after literally several hours of trying to mount the pleather pads, I've had zero success. The pleather pads seem to be tighter or a bit smaller in circumference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, although it seems that I may need to get a new pair of

* I ended up removing the ear pad rail assemblies, from the ear cups, attaching the ear pads and then snapping everything back into place, with the pleather pads attached. Worked well but still somewhat difficult. All in all, a cumbersome and somewhat ridiculous ear pad mounting system! The pleather ear pads sound awesome with the DT1770s!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #3,155 of 3,701
Just ordered a NewFantasia, but not received it yet, so I can't talk about the fit. I'll inform when I get it if not someone else can fill in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAST95Y

Thanks for the reply! I also ordered the NewFantasia cord. Other than initially being a bit concerned about the cable being "skinny", it actually seems to work fine, The mini xlr plug seems to be good quality and connects and disconnects easily. Very satisfied with the purchase. Hoping you have a similarly good experience!

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #3,156 of 3,701
Can anyone comment on the difference in isolation between the dt1770 and the dt770?

For my intended purpose at work isolation is incredibly important, and the fact the dt770 supposedly is even better than the ATH-M50 at isolation is what drew my interest in the first place. I can't find a direct comparison of the 770 and 1770 on this key metric though.

Nov 29, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #3,157 of 3,701
Can anyone comment on the difference in isolation between the dt1770 and the dt770?

For my intended purpose at work isolation is incredibly important, and the fact the dt770 supposedly is even better than the ATH-M50 at isolation is what drew my interest in the first place. I can't find a direct comparison of the 770 and 1770 on this key metric though.

Especially when using the pleather ear pads supplied with the 1770s, which I found to sound better, they seem to be more isolating than the 770s. The 1770s seem to have a bit more clamping force than the 770s although, even having a largish head size, I still find them very comfortable. Isolation is good, both in and out. Amazon's current price of $388 for the 1770s is definitely quite a bargain!

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #3,159 of 3,701
Just a question to those that know Thinking of getting some dt 1770 pro's, driving from a FiiO Q5. My questions to all that can help are:
Can the Q5 drive them happily?
Can you get a 2.5mm balanced cable with mini XLR connection? If not, what would be the best solution to use these from a possible 2.5mm output?
Any advice and help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #3,160 of 3,701
Just a question to those that know Thinking of getting some dt 1770 pro's, driving from a FiiO Q5. My questions to all that can help are:
Can the Q5 drive them happily?
Can you get a 2.5mm balanced cable with mini XLR connection? If not, what would be the best solution to use these from a possible 2.5mm output?
Any advice and help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
The 1770 can’t be run balanced unless it is modded to do so. The new Drop version, 177X is balanced capable out of the box.

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #3,162 of 3,701
Ok, thanks for the heads up. Just checked em out. They do seem to get mixed reviews compared to the original Beyerdynamic product
Hm...most reviews that have come in seem to like them. They have a 4.5 rating on the Drop site, and the reviews that are on YouTube are positive, although there aren’t that many. I can vouch for them, actually have them on my head right now, they’re very enjoyable. It depends on what you’re looking for though. I had read that the original 1770 was more v-shaped and aggressive sounding, where this newer version fixed that, especially a dip in the low mids from the original model. They reduced the sub-bass and treble for a more balanced sound. But if you prefer more bass and treble, then go for the original. Just know that they can’t be run balanced unless they are modded.

The 177X is also lower impedance so you don’t have to worry about your Fiio’s ability to drive them as much.

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #3,163 of 3,701
This was my assessment of the DT 1770. I ended up returning it to Amazon after I purchased it. I will copy and paste what I said back on page 205.

Just an update on my purchase. I ended up getting the DT 1770 a few days ago. I will admit, it is a good headphone, but to me, it is not good enough to keep. The Amiron is just flat out better. The DT 1770 has a resonance within the bass response that just can't be removed with EQ. The treble is also somewhat harsh and fatiguing, but this can be corrected with EQ. The issue with the treble though is that if you do EQ it down far enough, it removes the brightness, but then you also lose detail in the upper frequencies. The mids are slightly recessed from 1.25-2kHz, followed by an even bigger dip at 2-4kHz. I ended up putting this EQ on the headphone. This EQ was used with the velour pads.

Pre-Amplifying: - 2

31.5Hz: - 1
40Hz: - 1
50Hz: - 1
63Hz: - 1
80Hz: - 1
100Hz: - 1.5
125Hz: - 1.5
160Hz: - 1.5
200Hz: + 0.5
250Hz: + 1
315Hz: + 0.5
1.25kHz: + 0.5
1.6kHz: + 0.5
2kHz: + 0.5
2.5kHz: + 0.5
3.15kHz: + 1
4kHz: + 1
6.3kHz: - 2
8kHz: - 2
10kHz: - 1

I have to say, that with this EQ, it sounds far more balanced. The difference in sound quality is drastic. However, it still does not sound completely correct to me, and the resonance is still there. As expected, even though the DT 1770 is using the same driver as the Amiron Home, it sounds quite different. I have decided to return the DT 1770, and am now searching for something else. I am one of those guys who just likes to have two headphones. One open back, and one closed back. I could just get a DT 1990 instead, but then I am getting another headphone from this family, and it will also be another open back. The problem is that excellent closed back options are limited at this price level.

Jan 1, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #3,165 of 3,701
I have not heard the DT 177X, and I have always been curious about it.
I think you would like it based on the way you EQ’d the 1770. The bass is less forward and doesn’t resonate at all, it’s tight and punchy. The mids are very balanced, perhaps a little more emphasis on lower mids is what I’m hearing which I really like because notes have so much weight on this headphone. The upper mids are a little reduced but I don’t mind this either as they don’t sound fatiguing. Treble is good in that it doesn’t sound fatiguing and is probably the calmest amongst Beyer’s headphones. Their detail isn’t lacking in any way, it’s actually quite good, but it could be a little better for the price. I put it on the level of the HD6XX and ER4XR, but the 177X beats them in soundstage and imaging. And the 177X still has a little more treble energy. Aside from that they’re rather warm in tonality. In fact I’d say they’re even warmer than the HD6XX.

Honestly, I can’t find anything seriously wrong with them and they’re a very enjoyable listen. That’s not saying they’re perfect, but they’re the best closed back I’ve tried so far and tick a lot of boxes for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back