Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #2,986 of 3,701
I respectfully disagree. If you find the Valhalla 2 is better paired than the Magni that's because it has twice the power. I figured as much so I picked up a THX AAA 789 and re-wired the 1770's for differential since that post. With almost .8 watt they are much better. I keep the Magni at work with a single ended adapter.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #2,987 of 3,701
I respectfully disagree. If you find the Valhalla 2 is better paired than the Magni that's because it has twice the power. I figured as much so I picked up a THX AAA 789 and re-wired the 1770's for differential since that post. With almost .8 watt they are much better. I keep the Magni at work with a single ended adapter.

The DT1770 definitely needs a lot of power, but I feel that the Cayin iHA-6 with even MORE power, but similar price is a better fit

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #2,988 of 3,701
Actually, I don't think the Valhalla 2 is better, just because it has more power. Have you actually heard them with the Valhalla 2 and if so, what do find better, with the Magni? I get better width, separation, bass, imaging and every other descriptive term, with the Valhalla 2, than the Magni. A 250 ohm headphone, regardless of the sensitivity, will often times come to life, when used with an OTL tube amp, and the DT1770 are one of those cans. I am not using the stock Russian tubes. I am using WE396A tubes with adapters, and this took the amp to another level. The WE396A, was recommended by Mike Moffat, from Schiit.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #2,989 of 3,701
So in about 8-10 days i have been reading page 1 to 200 (sorry for lurking).

I got my pair at about post 50, and im thrilled about the experience people have and sometimes the entertaining bias some has ^^.
I have always used to creep about on this forum to get a grip on hifi, and im no expert but i have to say DT 1770 have gotten my tastebuds active!

Just to list my experiences (the only one i have sold off are the DT770 80ohm and sennheiser HD580,HD595) - Sennheiser HD 580, HD 595, HD 650 - Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm, MMX300, DT 1770 DT(the pair before 1350, my old man has those) - B&W P7, C5 1gen, C5 2gen - B&O H9
Amps used an Pioneer VXS 1017 AV Reciever with optic input for years **SHAME ONE ME**.

Did buy a DragonflyRED used as lineout to a ProJect headphone amp as soon as the dragonfly came out.
Found out the ProJect ruined the experience so i have just been using DragonflyRED with the B&W and B&O cans for as long as i remember.

I play songs from Deezer Hifi mainly. But on the go i don't have that big of a library and i use spotify with my b&o H9, won't go road warrior with DT1770.

I tend to say i like everything besides scandinavian folk and what they call "dance" music (not to be mistaken for the electronic music!).
But main emphasis is metal, edm, rock, stoner rock and electronica.

I have to say i love the sound i get of these cans, they are remarkable and as someone stated earlier. These are can wise probbably going to be the end of the line for me (for a while at least).
To say i have tried everything in this forum is a lie. I don't have the balls to dissect them as of now.
But i tried the pads from the MMX 300 and they became softer to wearm but they bent in more and i lost a bit of the spacing from the headphones. I think the clamp force was to much for them. but they definetly where more comfy than the one that came with. (ended up using pleather, but ordered leather ones).

One thing that annoyed me out of the box. You guys got the cool beyer emblem on the side! Mine states beyerdynamic just like the newer DT1990 and i don't think it looks as good.
But then again, i got the "proffesional hard case" that is comming with the DT 1990, and it looks more solid and like it will last a while longer than the original box you got. Win some and lose some.....

When it comes to music i really love how these kicks ass on metal. Most headphones i have tried does not give metal justice, it is ither bass heavy or treble heavy. But these makes metal more punchy with dignity.
Hard to explain, but that is how i view them. I feel it is my first "all around" headphone. And i might be bias since they might be better suited for my general music taste.

But i would say these really show off bad mixing/recorded records. Many bands i love got disorted and i can hear their song could use better seperation and work on the mastering. But i got a bigger respect for someone as noizy as Slipknot, they do work on their mixing i must say!
The only thing that came to mind when i heard these is this:
Bass sounds like it does in a small intimate concert, you feel the heart of the sub hit you good, while most other headphones i have used sounds like the bass you hear from cars with idiots in it who wants an early grave for their strand of hairs in their ears muddy and blurry.
And that is what i love, not everyone might agree with me and that is fine. But this is my 11-12 grade marble kobe steak i had that once, and it is nothing short of a good memory, and i will remember DT 1770 and speak of it to my grankids one day just like that steak :wink:

So DT1770 gave me a big and great impression......

That out of the way!

I need help for amp, i read that people here are really carefull for telling what amps to go for, and i read that someone love their own gear.
I have been looking at Shiit Valhalla and Bifrost combo but im scared!

I tried to play music from the LG V10 vs my DragonflyRed and i found the LG V10 to be mouch more spacious and i tend to like the sound better.
I know they have different dacs and probbably amps, but by two dacs of same producer to be that different scares me AF!
I also know from earlier i liked the sabre dacs, as i find them good for gaming as i feel the staging is not THAT wide, but the placement of sound is strong. But then again, i don't know these things, that is why im here to ask you.

Help me build up a chain i can use on the DT 1770 now, and to use on other canslater....

Thank you for taking my hifi virginity ^^

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #2,990 of 3,701
So in about 8-10 days i have been reading page 1 to 200 (sorry for lurking).

I got my pair at about post 50, and im thrilled about the experience people have and sometimes the entertaining bias some has ^^.
I have always used to creep about on this forum to get a grip on hifi, and im no expert but i have to say DT 1770 have gotten my tastebuds active!

Just to list my experiences (the only one i have sold off are the DT770 80ohm and sennheiser HD580,HD595) - Sennheiser HD 580, HD 595, HD 650 - Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm, MMX300, DT 1770 DT(the pair before 1350, my old man has those) - B&W P7, C5 1gen, C5 2gen - B&O H9
Amps used an Pioneer VXS 1017 AV Reciever with optic input for years **SHAME ONE ME**.

Did buy a DragonflyRED used as lineout to a ProJect headphone amp as soon as the dragonfly came out.
Found out the ProJect ruined the experience so i have just been using DragonflyRED with the B&W and B&O cans for as long as i remember.

I play songs from Deezer Hifi mainly. But on the go i don't have that big of a library and i use spotify with my b&o H9, won't go road warrior with DT1770.

I tend to say i like everything besides scandinavian folk and what they call "dance" music (not to be mistaken for the electronic music!).
But main emphasis is metal, edm, rock, stoner rock and electronica.

I have to say i love the sound i get of these cans, they are remarkable and as someone stated earlier. These are can wise probbably going to be the end of the line for me (for a while at least).
To say i have tried everything in this forum is a lie. I don't have the balls to dissect them as of now.
But i tried the pads from the MMX 300 and they became softer to wearm but they bent in more and i lost a bit of the spacing from the headphones. I think the clamp force was to much for them. but they definetly where more comfy than the one that came with. (ended up using pleather, but ordered leather ones).

One thing that annoyed me out of the box. You guys got the cool beyer emblem on the side! Mine states beyerdynamic just like the newer DT1990 and i don't think it looks as good.
But then again, i got the "proffesional hard case" that is comming with the DT 1990, and it looks more solid and like it will last a while longer than the original box you got. Win some and lose some.....

When it comes to music i really love how these kicks ass on metal. Most headphones i have tried does not give metal justice, it is ither bass heavy or treble heavy. But these makes metal more punchy with dignity.
Hard to explain, but that is how i view them. I feel it is my first "all around" headphone. And i might be bias since they might be better suited for my general music taste.

But i would say these really show off bad mixing/recorded records. Many bands i love got disorted and i can hear their song could use better seperation and work on the mastering. But i got a bigger respect for someone as noizy as Slipknot, they do work on their mixing i must say!
The only thing that came to mind when i heard these is this:
Bass sounds like it does in a small intimate concert, you feel the heart of the sub hit you good, while most other headphones i have used sounds like the bass you hear from cars with idiots in it who wants an early grave for their strand of hairs in their ears muddy and blurry.
And that is what i love, not everyone might agree with me and that is fine. But this is my 11-12 grade marble kobe steak i had that once, and it is nothing short of a good memory, and i will remember DT 1770 and speak of it to my grankids one day just like that steak :wink:

So DT1770 gave me a big and great impression......

That out of the way!

I need help for amp, i read that people here are really carefull for telling what amps to go for, and i read that someone love their own gear.
I have been looking at Shiit Valhalla and Bifrost combo but im scared!

I tried to play music from the LG V10 vs my DragonflyRed and i found the LG V10 to be mouch more spacious and i tend to like the sound better.
I know they have different dacs and probbably amps, but by two dacs of same producer to be that different scares me AF!
I also know from earlier i liked the sabre dacs, as i find them good for gaming as i feel the staging is not THAT wide, but the placement of sound is strong. But then again, i don't know these things, that is why im here to ask you.

Help me build up a chain i can use on the DT 1770 now, and to use on other canslater....

Thank you for taking my hifi virginity ^^

Nice! Yeah I LOVE my DT 1770s as well!

What's your MAX budget for the DAC/amp?? I have a few suggestions you can try out once I hear back from you.

Jan 7, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #2,992 of 3,701
As stated im am somewhere around the 600-700$ mark :)

I love the sleek look of Shiit, but im open towards other options.
I am currently using my Jotunheim with Modi Multibit, with my DT1770's and they sound really good. The DT1770's were my first good pair of headphones, and I let them collect dust for a while, after I got my T50 mods, but now I am using them again and I am really liking them, again. Those drivers on the DT1770 are super fast. They sound so good with that setup, that this past weekend I actually listened to my DT1770's more than my ZMF Ori. Now that is saying something, because we all know how good the Ori are.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #2,993 of 3,701
I am currently using my Jotunheim with Modi Multibit, with my DT1770's and they sound really good. The DT1770's were my first good pair of headphones, and I let them collect dust for a while, after I got my T50 mods, but now I am using them again and I am really liking them, again. Those drivers on the DT1770 are super fast. They sound so good with that setup, that this past weekend I actually listened to my DT1770's more than my ZMF Ori. Now that is saying something, because we all know how good the Ori are.

I have not tried the ZMF's before ^^

I was looking into a bifrost and valhalla combo, but im not safe on tube amps. Don't quite knowing what im getting into.

I was evaluating Jotunheim with multibit as i saw it was a cheap option, but im not sure at all.

Just by finding such a big difference between the ESS Sabre 9018 on my LG V10 (wich i perfer) vs my Dragonfly red with ESS Sabre 9016. I am really scared to make a wrong decision.
Even looked at using dragonfly as a lineout to a A20 from Beyerdynamic... Im so lost!

Jan 7, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #2,994 of 3,701
As stated im am somewhere around the 600-700$ mark :)

I love the sleek look of Shiit, but im open towards other options.

Andre,

Ok cool. I checked your post again and I didn't see price mentioned anywhere, but thanks for mentioning it now.

I have a running list of DACs and amps going that are really more for portable use. Since you mentioned the DragonFly Red and the LG V10, I will focus on mobile devices then.

I used to have the LG V30, and would strongly recommend that. But the problem there is I think there are better phones out there (i.e. ones with better cameras), and that instead, you should focus on having the freedom to have the phone you want vs. being tied down to a phone just for its audio capabilities.

So what I'm going to recommend to you is not only BELOW your price range, but it's also INCREDIBLE sounding AND gives you the freedom to listen to music using what I'd call a "semi-wireless" setup. In addition, it's the setup I CURRENTLY use with my own DT 1770s as well. The amp/DAC I'm referring to is the iFi xDSD! It costs $399, comes in a gorgeous metallic body and is quite sleek as well as having a very portable design, and it uses a DAC that many consider to be an upgrade from the Sabre line.........the Burr Brown DAC, which is the luxury line of DACs by Texas Instruments (yes, the company that made the "Speak & Spell" in the 80s and those famous graphing calculators in the years since lol). The amp on the xDSD is VERY powerful as well and SUFFICIENTLY drives my DT 1770s no matter what music I play on it, even some of my more quietly mastered Hi-Res albums!

I compared the xDSD to my former LG V30's "Quad DAC" (which is actually a Sabre DAC) a few months ago, and I could tell a difference between the two after comparing them on SEVERAL songs. The Burr Brown DAC just seemed to have more LIFE and punch to it. And this is on a semi-wireless connection too. By that I simply mean you connect to the xDSD via BT from your smartphone (NONE of the processing is handled by the phone fortunately, especially if you enable Poweramp's "Hi-Res Output" BT option in the audio settings), and then connect the DT 1770 to the xDSD via its cable (aka, semi-wireless). The freedom I get from this is great b/c I no longer have to deal with the weight and inconvenience of a cable dangling from my phone anymore, which is nice. For listening I use Poweramp, and I even have custom EQs specifically made for the DT 1770 Pro that I came up with that I feel noticeably enhance the sound quality. (If you actually get Poweramp, which is the best Android player IMO, then you can simply import my Poweramp Settings file into your Poweramp app ((you do all of this via your phone)) and it will adjust to all my settings, AND automatically add all my custom EQs to your EQ presets list too ftw.). When I asked other people I know to compare my custom EQ to both no EQ and the "Rock" preset on Poweramp, they both said mine sounded the best.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions, including about importing that file into Poweramp.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #2,995 of 3,701
Well, I had another night with this setup - DT1770 - Jotunheim - Modi Multibit, and I am loving it. The bass hits hard, but does not overpower the mids, and everything is clear, and clean, with just enough extension up top, without being harsh. These drivers are fast!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #2,996 of 3,701
I used to have the LG V30
Really helpful discussion. I have the LGv30 now, which I'm enjoying, but for on the go it doesn't offer quite enough power for my DT770s (250Ohm). My DT 1990s, however, are plenty loud enough due to the 102 decibel-per-miliwatt sensitivity, contrasted with the lower rate in the 770s. Given this I presume the LGv30 will power the 1770s sufficiently, can you confirm that? (Or should I simply get the xCan or XDSD?)

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #2,997 of 3,701
Really helpful discussion. I have the LGv30 now, which I'm enjoying, but for on the go it doesn't offer quite enough power for my DT770s (250Ohm). My DT 1990s, however, are plenty loud enough due to the 102 decibel-per-miliwatt sensitivity, contrasted with the lower rate in the 770s. Given this I presume the LGv30 will power the 1770s sufficiently, can you confirm that? (Or should I simply get the xCan or XDSD?)

1) Do you have the Quad DAC on? (I have to ask lol)

2) What settings for the Quad DAC do you have enabled?

3) Do you use EQ? I have custom EQs I use on my Poweramp music app, and EQ'ing adds to the volume a bit which helps.

From what I remember of when I had my V30, which was only a few months back, it most definitely powered my 1770s VERY well!

However.............I STILL recommend getting the xDSD if you want the BEST sound. Why? See my review. lol The xCAN is newer and has an amp TWICE as loud as the xDSD, but the xDSD has a better DAC. Both the V30 and the xCAN use Sabre DACs, which are awesome, but the xDSD uses Texas Instruments' "luxury line" of DACs.........the Burr Brown. Again, the review will tell you more, but really all 3 options are great. I would only buy the xCAN if my headphones were like 300-350 ohms or higher.

See the review, definitely feel free to comment or like there, and lemme know if you have any questions. :L3000:

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #2,998 of 3,701
1) Do you have the Quad DAC on? (I have to ask lol)

3) Do you use EQ? I have custom EQs I use on my Poweramp music app, and EQ'ing adds to the volume a bit which helps.

From what I remember of when I had my V30, which was only a few months back, it most definitely powered my 1770s VERY well!

However.............I STILL recommend getting the xDSD if you want the BEST sound. Why? See my review. lol The xCAN is newer and has an amp TWICE as loud as the xDSD, but the xDSD has a better DAC. Both the V30 and the xCAN use Sabre DACs, which are awesome, but the xDSD uses Texas Instruments' "luxury line" of DACs.........the Burr Brown. Again, the review will tell you more, but really all 3 options are great. I would only buy the xCAN if my headphones were like 300-350 ohms or higher.

See the review, definitely feel free to comment or like there, and lemme know if you have any questions. :L3000:

This was super helpful, thanks. I purchased the 1770s! I experimented yesterday with the 1990s in town, just to make sure they would be loud enough, in comparison with the 770s, and they were. The phone provided more than enough juice, even for high dynamic range quieter tracks. I am sorely tempted by the xDSD, too, especially in light of your review! My budget may only manage the xCan, though.

Thanks again for your help

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #2,999 of 3,701

Forgot this bit: when I plug in my 770s I use the Hi-Fi Status app to tell me what is happening - it shows 50Ohm. Is that what you mean?

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #3,000 of 3,701
Forgot this bit: when I plug in my 770s I use the Hi-Fi Status app to tell me what is happening - it shows 50Ohm. Is that what you mean?

That's awesome! Glad to hear the LG V30 meets your needs!

I would only get the xCAN then if you felt the V30 wasn't loud enough. The xCAN literally has TWICE the amp volume output of the xDSD, which is already plenty loud IMO.

No I mean when I tap on the Quad DAC icon in your Notification Pane and it takes you to its Settings page..............which two digital sound filters have you chosen?

When you answer, please let me know ALL the options for each, so I can remember which ones I chose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back