Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jan 22, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #3,017 of 3,701
20190122_182916.jpg
Ok great! Lemme know what you think once it comes in.

Well here it is! I knew it would add bass, and it sure does. Interestingly, with the stock pads, extra bass via the Cayin C5 overwhelmed the 1770s. But these pads manage to contain it, which is fascinating. My surprise is that the mids sound more natural with the Dekoni sheepskin pads. The highs may be a bit sharper (occasionally harsher), too, though I may be making that up. Thanks for your advice, I'm enjoying this set up! Goes well with the LGv30 and my old Fiio X3ii + Cayin C5. Sounds so lush with the Mojo, too.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #3,018 of 3,701

Well here it is! I knew it would add bass, and it sure does. Interestingly, with the stock pads, extra bass via the Cayin C5 overwhelmed the 1770s. But these pads manage to contain it, which is fascinating. My surprise is that the mids sound more natural with the Dekoni sheepskin pads. The highs may be a bit sharper (occasionally harsher), too, though I may be making that up. Thanks for your advice, I'm enjoying this set up! Goes well with the LGv30 and my old Fiio X3ii + Cayin C5. Sounds so lush with the Mojo, too.

Yeah...... I think the sheepskin somehow makes the bass sound more balanced and deeper too vs. the stock pads.

Really (mids)? That's interesting. Not sure if I noticed that, but I'm glad YOU did! Hopefully you're wrong on the highs though. lol :L3000:

Again, how you EQ it matters too. I found they sounded better with my custom EQ vs. no EQ. PM me if interested.

You're very welcome!! Glad to help.

I've read some ppl on here say the V30 sounds better than the Mojo believe it or not. So you may wanna try it vs. the Mojo, and also FiiO + Cayin. Also, why do you use the C5 with the X3ii? Does the X3ii not get loud enough?

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #3,019 of 3,701
Yeah...... I think the sheepskin somehow makes the bass sound more balanced and deeper too vs. the stock pads.

Really (mids)? That's interesting. Not sure if I noticed that, but I'm glad YOU did! Hopefully you're wrong on the highs though. lol :L3000:

Again, how you EQ it matters too. I found they sounded better with my custom EQ vs. no EQ. PM me if interested.

You're very welcome!! Glad to help.

I've read some ppl on here say the V30 sounds better than the Mojo believe it or not. So you may wanna try it vs. the Mojo, and also FiiO + Cayin. Also, why do you use the C5 with the X3ii? Does the X3ii not get loud enough?

I used the Cayin + Fiio mix to drive my DT 770s, which was a really good set up. The Fiio could just about drive the 770s (better, in terms of power, than the LGv30), but the Cayin added something special. The 770s have great low bass, but the mid-bass drops off a bit - indeed, much drops off until the treble, which the 770s really emphasise. With the Cayin, the mid-bass is beautifully brought forward, which means you end up with a tremendously fun though v-shaped set up.

I have extensively compared the v30 and Mojo, immediately switching from one to the next. While the v30 is better than the Fiio, it doesn't manage to separation, clarity nor bass punch of the Mojo. These differences become obvious to my ears when I am listening with some really good headphones, but I tend to leave my Mojo at home - it doesn't fit well in my pocket strapped onto a phone. So the LG gives me all I want for on-the-go use, and it does sound excellent. For me, not Mojo excellent, but still a delight to use.

I find that the Mojo pairs well with the DT 1990s - or indeed the AKG 7XXs - the first for detail, the latter for sound-stage. The 1770s, with the earpads you recommended, pair really well I think with the LGv30 and - I have discovered, the Fiio+Cayin. I am tempted to eventually get the XCan, to avoid having cables droop out everytime I use my phone when commuting. Do you haev any experience with iFi? I have ordered a shorter cable for the 1770s, one with controls, which will arrive next couple of days.

Jan 23, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #3,020 of 3,701
I had the same setup-- driving my DT 1770s with the v30. It do s sound good. However, the ZX 300 sounds so much better than the V30. Wish I still had my 1770's to pair with the DAP. With the Amiron Home, it's just amazing.

Jan 23, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #3,021 of 3,701
I used the Cayin + Fiio mix to drive my DT 770s, which was a really good set up. The Fiio could just about drive the 770s (better, in terms of power, than the LGv30), but the Cayin added something special. The 770s have great low bass, but the mid-bass drops off a bit - indeed, much drops off until the treble, which the 770s really emphasise. With the Cayin, the mid-bass is beautifully brought forward, which means you end up with a tremendously fun though v-shaped set up.

I have extensively compared the v30 and Mojo, immediately switching from one to the next. While the v30 is better than the Fiio, it doesn't manage to separation, clarity nor bass punch of the Mojo. These differences become obvious to my ears when I am listening with some really good headphones, but I tend to leave my Mojo at home - it doesn't fit well in my pocket strapped onto a phone. So the LG gives me all I want for on-the-go use, and it does sound excellent. For me, not Mojo excellent, but still a delight to use.

I find that the Mojo pairs well with the DT 1990s - or indeed the AKG 7XXs - the first for detail, the latter for sound-stage. The 1770s, with the earpads you recommended, pair really well I think with the LGv30 and - I have discovered, the Fiio+Cayin. I am tempted to eventually get the XCan, to avoid having cables droop out everytime I use my phone when commuting. Do you haev any experience with iFi? I have ordered a shorter cable for the 1770s, one with controls, which will arrive next couple of days.

Ok. Interesting. I guess as long as you're hearing an improvement by using BOTH devices together then that's all that really matters.

Ok. I've read mixed reviews on how well the V30 compares to various amp/DACs. I always found it a little hard to believe the V30 could outdo a $600 amp/DAC, so your results make sense. Then there's posts like these. LOL

Nice! The shorter cable is quite convenient if you ask me. Very happy to hear again that you are pleased with the Dekonis!

Yeah my former V30 + Dekoni sheepskin ear pads + 1770 setup was awesome! Yes I do actually...........only difference now is the xDSD has replaced the V30 (currently using the T-Mobile OnePlus 6T as my player). This is now THE BEST setup I've ever had without a doubt!

I bought the xDSD a few months ago and love it. This review I posted will tell you EVERYTHING you want to know! Yeah the xCAN would be awesome to have as well. The difference between the two is the xDSD has the better DAC (Texas Instruments' "luxury series" of DACs, the Burr Brown), where the xCAN has a Sabre DAC like the one found in the V30 (aka "Quad DAC"). The xCAN is also a $100 cheaper, though also newer with a Micro USB-C port vs. xDSD's Micro USB one.

(Note: I think I said before that the xCAN gets TWICE as loud as the xDSD. That was wrong. Please disregard.)

Jan 23, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #3,022 of 3,701
I had the same setup-- driving my DT 1770s with the v30. It do s sound good. However, the ZX 300 sounds so much better than the V30. Wish I still had my 1770's to pair with the DAP. With the Amiron Home, it's just amazing.

Hey Josh,

Yeah I had that setup too and it was fantastic!

I owned the $300 Sony A20 DAP a few years back. Really loved it, but my issue with Sony's music devices (both DAPs AND Xperia phones, though I LOVE the Xperia line.....not including their amp/DACs though) is I feel they don't have a very strong amp output vs. other devices. I think maybe Sony does this to save battery life, but it's something I wish they'd resolve once and for all, especially with devices LIKE the V30 which we all know has that crazy industrial strength (for a mobile device anyway lol) amp on it! lol Still, gotta love and admire Sony's craftsmanship and awesome design aesthetics. :L3000:

Note: I see the ZX300 has a balanced port. I'm sure that must help with volume! Too bad though there isn't a balanced cable out there for the DT 1770 Pro. There are ppl on here that can make one that I've talked to, but that's custom made stuff there. I'd prefer something I can just buy from a store.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #3,023 of 3,701
Hey Josh,

Yeah I had that setup too and it was fantastic!

I owned the $300 Sony A20 DAP a few years back. Really loved it, but my issue with Sony's music devices (both DAPs AND Xperia phones, though I LOVE the Xperia line.....not including their amp/DACs though) is I feel they don't have a very strong amp output vs. other devices. I think maybe Sony does this to save battery life, but it's something I wish they'd resolve once and for all, especially with devices LIKE the V30 which we all know has that crazy industrial strength (for a mobile device anyway lol) amp on it! lol Still, gotta love and admire Sony's craftsmanship and awesome design aesthetics. :L3000:

Note: I see the ZX300 has a balanced port. I'm sure that must help with volume! Too bad though there isn't a balanced cable out there for the DT 1770 Pro. There are ppl on here that can make one that I've talked to, but that's custom made stuff there. I'd prefer something I can just buy from a store.

The 1770 with v30, or the zx300 with Amiron? The last one is far superior.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #3,024 of 3,701
I pair my 1770 with the A&K SE100 for a few weeks now and I can tell it is a very satisfying combo. :)
I still have my V30 what I have used for almost a year with the 1770. However, the SE100 absolutely means a higher level of feeding the 1770 compared to the V30. Incredible details and resolution combined with a wide sound stage.
I also had the A&K SR15 before the SE100 but it was identical sounding to the V30. Nothing more, nothing less, exactly the same. Maybe the V30 provided a little wider sound stage using the Short filter. So I decided to do a step up to the SE100 and I have no regrets, best portable setup I have ever had with the 1770.

Now I am considering to get a Schiit desktop amp (Valhalla2 or Lyr 3) for home usage inserting it between the SE100 and the DT1770 then I will rather use the SE100 with a pair of Xelentos on the go. Based on previous posts a proper desktop amp still could add some punch and extra to the 1770.
Also still looking for getting a pair of Dekoni sheepskin for the 1770, cannot wait to hear the difference. :)

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #3,025 of 3,701
The 1770 with v30, or the zx300 with Amiron? The last one is far superior.

The 1770 with the V30. I've never owned or tried the ZX300 or the Amiron, though I've heard so many good things about the open-back Amiron that I added it to my running list on Amazon a year or so ago.

I'm sure it is, being it's about the same price point as the 1770 + it's open-back. And yeah $600 ZX300 vs. LG V30, not surprised the Sony is better. Though does it get as loud as the V30 in HIM??

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #3,026 of 3,701
The Amiron have a bit more ...width? Depth? Not sure. Just a bit more something than the 1770's. The 1770s are a great can though. I miss them.

Just picked up the Z7 on ebay. Excited to get them in the mail next week. That will be my closed back for the time being, assuming I like them.

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #3,027 of 3,701
I pair my 1770 with the A&K SE100 for a few weeks now and I can tell it is a very satisfying combo. :)
I still have my V30 what I have used for almost a year with the 1770. However, the SE100 absolutely means a higher level of feeding the 1770 compared to the V30. Incredible details and resolution combined with a wide sound stage.
I also had the A&K SR15 before the SE100 but it was identical sounding to the V30. Nothing more, nothing less, exactly the same. Maybe the V30 provided a little wider sound stage using the Short filter. So I decided to do a step up to the SE100 and I have no regrets, best portable setup I have ever had with the 1770.

Now I am considering to get a Schiit desktop amp (Valhalla2 or Lyr 3) for home usage inserting it between the SE100 and the DT1770 then I will rather use the SE100 with a pair of Xelentos on the go. Based on previous posts a proper desktop amp still could add some punch and extra to the 1770.
Also still looking for getting a pair of Dekoni sheepskin for the 1770, cannot wait to hear the difference. :)

Yeah, you will love the Dekoni sheepskin pads!

That's crazy.............so the V30 couldn't match the $1600 SE100, which is very understandable, but it was slightly better than the $600 SR15?!! lol :L3000:

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #3,028 of 3,701
The Amiron have a bit more ...width? Depth? Not sure. Just a bit more something than the 1770's. The 1770s are a great can though. I miss them.

Just picked up the Z7 on ebay. Excited to get them in the mail next week. That will be my closed back for the time being, assuming I like them.

Well being open-back, it's to be expected they'd have a wider soundstage, if not perhaps deeper too. But def wider.

I only buy closed-backs, but if I were to buy open, the Amiron would def be a stronger contender. Def up there with AKG's K702 and Senn's HD 700.

Well it sounds like you have something better now, unless you wanna travel. lol That's why I only buy closed-backs. I'm kinda monogamous when it comes to premium headphones. LOL So I like to just have one really great one at a time and then apply my custom EQ to it ftw.

Jan 23, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #3,029 of 3,701
I'm kinda monogamous when it comes to premium headphones. LOL So I like to just have one really great one at a time and then apply my custom EQ to it ftw.

What do you use to EQ them. I kinda go the same as you, keep one or two high end at a time at most. However, my latest high-ish end (HD 630VB) has some seriously aggressive 2k-4k and I'm looking for options for taming that.

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #3,030 of 3,701
What do you use to EQ them. I kinda go the same as you, keep one or two high end at a time at most. However, my latest high-ish end (HD 630VB) has some seriously aggressive 2k-4k and I'm looking for options for taming that.

My own personal "Custom" EQ. I've used the same one now on like the last 6 headphones I've owned, and 5 out of the 6 sounded better with the custom one (no adjustments made from headphone to headphone) vs. No Eq or the "Rock" Preset in Poweramp.

Senn HD 630VB? Nice. I've seen that in person at Best Buy, and I know someone on here who loves her 630VB as well. I can't confirm it will sound good on that one, but for sure it does on the 1770. This is what it looks like (see one with Beyerdynamic spelled out.........that's the main one). What I do is I use the Poweramp music app (best one IMO for Android devices) as it lets you save your settings AND EQs to a file which you can import or export out. This is my most current settings file. You can PM me to explain how to import it if you like (the file must be downloaded to phone and then moved to a specific folder for the import to work). Or else just try to copy the EQ as is to your player, though that may be tricky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back