Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 8, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #2,941 of 3,701
@RockStar2005 Oh... And if it's possible can you also include your impression of the hybrids?

Sure Kent0.............

Stock Pleather vs. Sheepskin: Both feel nice, but the Sheepskin has this "buttery" smooth feel to it and seems slightly thicker too. This gives your ears extra padding and also a bit more distance from speaker drivers, which helps to improve soundstage and therefore instrument separation. I was comfortable with the pleather ones, but it wasn't a perfect level of comfort. But with the sheepskins I can say it's most definitely perfect. The ONLY headphones more perfect to me in terms of comfort are the Sony MDR-1A ones. But those I think also weigh less too, so that's a factor as well.

Hybrids (vs. Sheepskin): I thought the hybrids were very comfortable and nice too. Definitely more than the stock pleather ones, though I don't think QUITE as much as the sheepskin ones. I got both the hybrid and sheepskin ones made by Dekoni. My reason for returning the hybrid and keeping the sheepskin was that the hybrid to be didn't isolate as well as the sheepskin, therefore the bass didn't sound as good or get AS deep IMO. Where with the sheepskin, unlike the velour, the leather used on it doesn't let ANY bass sound get out or absorbed like the velour seemed to.

I'm NOT a basshead by any means, but I've come to the point of honesty that it's OK to love bass! Yes, you CAN be an audiophile and love bass!! lol But that doesn't mean it should be bloated or leak over into the mids and highs. That's why I also custom EQ my DT 1770 (main one is "Beyerdynamic DT 1770"), b/c by doing so I went from a very good to great sound to a truly MAGICAL sound, thanks in part to the sheepskin leather ear pads. These are the first headphones I've ever owned where I honestly have to FIGHT myself to take them off. lol

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #2,942 of 3,701
Sure Kent0.............

Stock Pleather vs. Sheepskin: Both feel nice, but the Sheepskin has this "buttery" smooth feel to it and seems slightly thicker too. This gives your ears extra padding and also a bit more distance from speaker drivers, which helps to improve soundstage and therefore instrument separation. I was comfortable with the pleather ones, but it wasn't a perfect level of comfort. But with the sheepskins I can say it's most definitely perfect. The ONLY headphones more perfect to me in terms of comfort are the Sony MDR-1A ones. But those I think also weigh less too, so that's a factor as well.

Hybrids (vs. Sheepskin): I thought the hybrids were very comfortable and nice too. Definitely more than the stock pleather ones, though I don't think QUITE as much as the sheepskin ones. I got both the hybrid and sheepskin ones made by Dekoni. My reason for returning the hybrid and keeping the sheepskin was that the hybrid to be didn't isolate as well as the sheepskin, therefore the bass didn't sound as good or get AS deep IMO. Where with the sheepskin, unlike the velour, the leather used on it doesn't let ANY bass sound get out or absorbed like the velour seemed to.

I'm NOT a basshead by any means, but I've come to the point of honesty that it's OK to love bass! Yes, you CAN be an audiophile and love bass!! lol But that doesn't mean it should be bloated or leak over into the mids and highs. That's why I also custom EQ my DT 1770 (main one is "Beyerdynamic DT 1770"), b/c by doing so I went from a very good to great sound to a truly MAGICAL sound, thanks in part to the sheepskin leather ear pads. These are the first headphones I've ever owned where I honestly have to FIGHT myself to take them off. lol

Hope this helps!

That is very helpful. Thanks a ton. I think I'm sold on the sheepskins, as I also love good quality bass (which seems to be muted on the stock velour) though I'll be getting the brainwavz because local shops have them and cheaper too. I just hope that it's as good as the dekoni.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #2,943 of 3,701
That is very helpful. Thanks a ton. I think I'm sold on the sheepskins, as I also love good quality bass (which seems to be muted on the stock velour) though I'll be getting the brainwavz because local shops have them and cheaper too. I just hope that it's as good as the dekoni.

You're very welcome!

Yeah even on the hybrid, it's most definitely the velour portion that mutes or loses the bass, so really it's just that it's velour. Of course, applying my custom EQs also makes a significant difference as well. I welcome you to try the main one out (using link from my last post). It's for Poweramp, but I also have at least the main one done for the EQ in the UAPP (USB Audio Pro Player) music app (see below), which includes numbers vs. just figuring it out visually. The other supporting EQs listed in that link above are just variations in the bass bands. You may find the one below not giving you enough bass, so just adjust the first 3 bands according to how you see them from link above to suit your taste.

I welcome ALL who read this to try it out in either app (or other apps even that feature a 10-Band EQ). And if you do, please come back and tell me and everyone what you thought!

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Custom EQ (for UAPP)

Preamp: -1.7

31: -1.0
63: -1.8
125: -3.0
250: -1.7
500: 0.7
1K: 1.5
2K: 1.8
4K: 2.0
8K: 2.3
16K: 2.6

To me, this brings out THE VERY BEST sound from the DT 1770 Pro. Even better sounding (at least to me) than "EQ Off" or the "Rock" preset that some players have. Again, feel free to adjust the bass bands (first three, not including pre-amp) to suit your taste, then save them individually using the menu button on that screen for continued future use!

Well the reason I bought the Dekoni pads instead of the Brainwavz ones is because it didn't appear that the Brainwavz ones (although cheaper) actually fit the Beyer line of headphones. This page basically confirms that while they do "kind of fit", the pads are OVAL while the Beyer earcups are as we know circular. So for "best fit", you wanna get the Dekoni ones. Up to you though. (Note that although the 1770 isn't listed, I MADE SURE to confirm with someone that they would fit before buying them. I can do one better though for you and confirm once again that the Dekoni ones fit PERFECTLY on the 1770!)

Let me know what you end up doin'.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #2,944 of 3,701
The brainwavz round fit perfectly
Screenshot_20181009_190348.jpg

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #2,949 of 3,701
No pleasing some people ....
Here you go !

ROFL! Wow...........third time's the charm?

Ok I did find them on U.S. Amazon, but this answer from the Q&A section gave me reason to pause. For me the Dekoni ones definitely improved the sound, not made it worse. Also, one reviewer on there said the Dekoni ones cost more but use a better type of leather as well.

I guess if Kent0 wants to to try them out, so be it.

Let us know what you end up doin' Kent0.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #2,951 of 3,701
The Dekoni do look nice and get good reviews I'd probably start with them too, are you talking about the fenstrated ones or the solid ones ?

Yeah me too. If they didn't exist though I'd make do with the Brainwavz pleather ones probably. Prob still better than stock?

I think I mentioned them all at one point? lol I think fenstrated are the hybrid ones right?

So ledzep you gonna buy the new Zep photobook that just came out today? It's the first ever official one done by all the surviving members of the band. They all contributed their own pics. I may or may ask for it for Christmas?? lol I already own several biographies and photobooks, so not sure yet. But I like that all 3 members offered up pics. Seems more personal that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back