Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
May 25, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #2,056 of 3,701
Sometimes when we hear a ''problem'' with a new product I think it's because we have become so use to the sound of the product (headphones in this case) that we are used to. And sometimes the problem is more on the old product that we have gotten used to over the years, than the new one. Our brains get used to a certain sound, and something that sounds different from that tend to sound flawed.

This is not specifically related to the DT1770 but to sound in general. When I evaluate a new product I listen to it for an extended period, just listening, not checking for problems. And then after some time I switch back to the old product I'm used to. That's when I do the comparison.

For instance when I have listened a lot to my DT1770 for a period of time and then listen to my AKG K812 I get the impression that the K812 totally lack bass and it sounds like a problem with the K812. But after listening to the K812 for a long period and then switching the DT1770 sounds like they have too much bass and lack transparency.

Personally I don't hear any problems with the DT1770...

Regarding the comfort: If you feel the pressure is too much, just bend the headband outwards until the pressure is right for you.

I had the Sony Z7 and the Sennheiser HD 800 around for some time. Both were great and better in some regards as the DT1770 but the DT1770 is the best package for my demands. So I sold the others and keep the DT 1770 as my Jack of all Trades accompanied by the at least to me best open compromise, the Sennheiser HD 650.
And I don't look for flaws first, I listen to my music wherever I want. That is what the DT1770 can do best at least to me.
Btw it runs most of the time on the go in the office or in my bedroom before I fall asleep straight out of my Sony NWZ-ZX 1 player. A simply wonderful and hassle free combo. The cable I use is the coiled one.

May 26, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #2,058 of 3,701
May 27, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,059 of 3,701
Ok, guys! I listened to Audeze lcd xc​, a quite more expensive headphone compared to dt1770. Both are closed. And I have to admit that the lcd xc has the upper hand when it comes to resolution. But really, I lacked the bass (comparatively speaking), the warmth and liveliness. Honestly, I felt that the warmth from the dt1770 was more enticing to me.

I was surprised that when I was presented with the dealer's best classical recording I preferred the sound signature of the dt1770. And I have played in an orchestra for 10 years. In fact, I got the impression that some vocal passages and some higher frequency portions sounded not good at all with the lcd xc, while the same passage was enticing with dt1770.  I guess the opposite could as well be said any time with another recording. When switching to the dt1770 I was welcomed with the warmth and welcoming caress from a carefully developed frequency response signature. I really felt that I could live with some comparatively minors compared to the advantage of the lcd xc. BUT, it was not much. Warmth and liveliness was more to the dt1770.

I felt that I really can live with the dt§1770 and that I should report this for all the happy dt1770 owners!! Enjoy! Hope I didn't get any enemies!  :)

BR
Ivan

May 27, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #2,061 of 3,701

I'll take a stab at answering this. I had both headphones, one after another for 2 weeks each. I'm not a reviewer but bear with me...

The DT1770 is v-shaped versus T5p.2's neutral. The DT1770 has more slam and bass than the T5p.2, but the mids were too recessed for my tastes. The T5p.2 is very neutral imo, with a balanced presentation across the spectrum. Nothing's emphasized nor left behind. I was surprised at how the T5p.2 was able to stradle the fine line between sibilant and bright in some of my songs where other (lesser) headphones have resulted in some sibilance.  Soundstage I found the T5p.2 just a little wider than the DT1770. I drove both with a Mojo. 

Physically, the DT1770 beats the T5p.2. The DT1770 felt like a professonal's tool, but the T5p.2 felt like I needed to baby it. The price might have subconsciously influenced that mindset however...

In terms of leakage, the DT1770 has an advantage because of its smaller bass port. However, I was able to use the T5p.2 at normal volumes in my cubicle without complaints. 

I ultimately returned both and now have a Ether C on the way.

When you get those Ether's, tell me how they are in comparison?  Those are the three main closed back headphones I have been interested in.  ^_^

May 30, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #2,062 of 3,701
Originally Posted by SurvivorNVL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"The DT1770 is v-shaped versus T5p.2's neutral. The DT1770 has more slam and bass than the T5p.2, but the mids were too recessed for my tastes. The T5p.2 is very neutral imo, with a balanced presentation across the spectrum. Nothing's emphasized nor left behind. I was surprised at how the T5p.2 was able to stradle the fine line between sibilant and bright in some of my songs where other (lesser) headphones have resulted in some sibilance.  Soundstage I found the T5p.2 just a little wider than the DT1770."

When you get those Ether's, tell me how they are in comparison?  Those are the three main closed back headphones I have been interested in.  ^_^

My take is that the 1770 is not so much V-shaped as it it has boosted bass presence. V-shaped would have boosted treble as well, and I think most would say 1770 does not have boosted treble (especially compared to many Beyer models). The treble is pretty well tamed. 

I agree the T5p.2 is more neutral and its bass is more balanced, but there is still plenty of bass. When a track goes low, the T5p.2 goes down low with the best of them.  T5p.2 also offers much more detail, space and air. Vocals are more present than they are in the 1770.  All in all, a good upgrade for the 1770-lover looking for more resolution (unless that bass boost is what you love about the 1770, of course).

As a dealer for both Beyer and MrSpeakers, I won't compare the Ether C (with the 1770 or T5p.2) in these forums except to say that its signature is neutral top to bottom with no boosted frequencies. You'll just have to come listen to all three!

May 31, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #2,063 of 3,701
My take is that the 1770 is not so much V-shaped as it it has boosted bass presence. V-shaped would have boosted treble as well, and I think most would say 1770 does not have boosted treble (especially compared to many Beyer models). The treble is pretty well tamed. 

I agree the T5p.2 is more neutral and its bass is more balanced, but there is still plenty of bass. When a track goes low, the T5p.2 goes down low with the best of them.  T5p.2 also offers much more detail, space and air. Vocals are more present than they are in the 1770.  All in all, a good upgrade for the 1770-lover looking for more resolution (unless that bass boost is what you love about the 1770, of course).

As a dealer for both Beyer and MrSpeakers, I won't compare the Ether C (with the 1770 or T5p.2) in these forums except to say that its signature is neutral top to bottom with no boosted frequencies. You'll just have to come listen to all three!

I wouldn't neccessarily say the T5p.2 is an upgrade from the DT1770 (although for some it may be), it's just a different headphone for a different job.

It's quite clear to me where Beyer is pitching the DT1770, and that's to EDM producers who need to get a feel for how their music is going to sound in a club - hence the boosted bass. Actually it's really only the subbass and lowerbass that seems boosted to my ears, and this gives you a fantastic club like sound.

In EDM, especially drum & bass, the snare drum is used very extensively and this is currently the only headphone in my stable where snare drums actually sound like snare drums. The sound from a snare is a multifrequency one, and where a lot of headphones give you the higher pitched attack, they lose the mid and lower mid decay. With the DT1770 I can seriously hear the drummer hit the skin, and all parts of the sound spectrum are present and correct.

These are quite frankly the best headphones I heard yet for electronica. However for classical, jazz and acoustic I find myself going back to my more neutral headphones as I find the bass of the DT1770 a touch unrealistic with those genres. As I said - different headphones for different jobs.

May 31, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #2,064 of 3,701
Is DT1770 sound signature similar to Noble K10U? I have Noble K10U and love them, looking for something that sounds similar. Powerful lows, nice low mids, slightly dipped upper mids, extended, energetic and smooth treble.

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #2,065 of 3,701
I have officially joined the club. ​
atsmile.gif

Just got these before 2 days from a member here (if you read that, again - excuse my impatience) and yesterday had the chance to listen to them. I use the O2+DAC(B) and comparing them to my other phones - HD700 (of course, the comparison is not fair as they are very different as signatures). I can only say - YES! Just what I have searched for in closed cans.

I really liked the build, the isolation and the low end extension. Their main purpose will be for use in the office, hence I think I chose the best.

The build:
Looks simple and durable. I even thought that the cans are made of metal, but I think it is kind of plastic and I suppose it will be durable. The paint looks well engraved. The headband and the rest looks well placed and connected. I'm just not a big fan of the eye popping "DT 1770 Pro" logo, but whatever... The straight cable is surprisingly soft and quality looking. The cable and cans connections looks also well made. So basically all is well. If they were cheaper I will say even the best you can ask for. I think good tools are ones we use always and do not make us think that they will disappear.

The isolation:
As I'm targeting office use it is important characteristic. Once it should suppress the ambient noise and once, it should not leak too much. The ambient attenuation is noticeable - even with the velour pads (which I replaced right away, velour can go dirty easy). Good enough to somewhat subjectively let you concentrate on your work, but also not so much that you jump off the chair when somebody put his hand on your shoulder. For me, most important was though, that my colleagues do not hear what I'm listening to and that, regretfully, nobody with measurement tools seems to be interested in. But after reading many opinions and even contacting beyerdynamic I can say it is fine enough. If I listen to loud music (that is I cannot listen for more than few minutes) and I put something between the cans, I can barely hear the sound from 1 meter. In the normal office noise floor, with people on 2 meters from me and not listening loud - all will be fine.

The sound:
Well, the sound... It is what I want from non-distracting signature - a bit low for pump, but clear and airy enough so that you have quality. I really do not want to compare with HD700 as it is like cats vs dogs, but inevitably I have found that 1770 has pronounced lower end, less stage/air and yeah - your ears get more warm. I have even tried these out of my laptop Lenovo T430s and they get loud enough (of course, the sound got stagnated). Overall, I'm pretty satisfied for such listening - these are like another realm of fun for me.

The package:
Big box for my taste as I cannot easily put it in a bag or in a drawer. The phones are big tough. There is nice leather bag with the cables were I have put and one smaller 6.35mm -> 3.5mm adapter. The cables are bit smashed in there, btw. It would be nicer if the bag was little bigger.

Summary:
I'm pretty satisfied with these and I expect that I will live long and happy with them on my side.

P.S. This was not a review, but just me making excuses not to work. And excuse my English.

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #2,069 of 3,701
Yes, I couldn't agree more.  I have for some time felt, and continue to feel, that the A-B comparisons simply do not bring you to right conclusion.  It seems to me that the human brain adapts in ways we don't fully understand -- in this context, after hearing your "new" product, the "old" product may seem stale and missing in excitement (in retrospect).  However, after going back to reevaluate the "old" you may realize that pizzazz was there all along.  So what happened?  I would submit that your brain remembers the new sound with all its bells & whistles, superimposing those impressions on the old product.  To my mind, the only valid test is an extended experience with any new product, evaluating and re-evaluating new and old sounds and forming an opinion on the overall pleasure derived, not “highs” or “lows” or “v-shaped” or otherwise.  Of course, I could be wrong …

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #2,070 of 3,701
hi everyone...newbie here...never had a beyerdynamic before but anything from germany smacks of high QC of course.
...their line does confuse me a bit given the number of models and i am trying to sort thru them.

quick question please: am seeking to get some cans to compliment my senn 650s..you know have more bass slam, punch and overall musicality.
(i'm not basshead but still love great bass...but it has to know its place too). so would this model 1770 do the trick?
i also love resolution and detail...you know good mids and not too too sizzling treble: balance in other words.

my exposure to cans is limited i'm afraid: only have the sony mdr 7520 studio monitors, and senn hd650s.

sources: laptop...dragonfly red, chord mojo, ifi micro idsd and headphone tube amp (mad ear+ hd)

music i like rock, blues and jazz

options:
i was/still am considering the fostex massdrop thx00 as i hear it's a fun set of cans and tuned well ...
but decided to try other options...(my sonys have pretty good bass slam...a mid bass hump i've read)
...also considering the new audeze sines, hifiman 560

then I came across these 1770s

the portable T1P 2nd gen also look interesting: those i guess would be good for both home and on the road?

thanks for your imput

Users who are viewing this thread

Back