Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jun 17, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #2,071 of 3,701
I have the Oppo PM-1 ... which I think has a sound signature close to the HD650.  Here is what I have for closed back -- non portable - headphones:Sony MDR-Z1; Beyerdynamic DT1770; and Massdrop THX00 headphones.

Comfort: Sony wins ... others aren't bad at all.  If you have small ears, all will be very comfortable. My ears just barely touch on the Beyerdynamic and Massdrop.

Bass Slam (in order): THX-00; MDR-Z1; DT1770.  The THX-00 and MDR-Z1 both  have WAY more bass then the Oppo PM-1.  The Beyerdynamic seems to be the most "Balanced" of the 3

Mids: DT1770; THX00; MDR-Z1

Highs: DT1770; THX00; MDR-Z1 

Build Quality:  This is a tough one, they are all nice. I would probably go in this order Sony; Beyerdynamic; Foxtex

The mid-upper treble on the sony's just sounds a bit off to me (I only notice this when switching headphones and listening for differences).
The Fostex sound great at low-mid volume.  If you crank them up, I get fatigued pretty fast -- too much bass.  Sound leakage in/out is also noticeable.
Beyerdynamic -  If the ear opening was just slightly bigger, it would be perfect.

I really do like all 3 headphones. If I had to pick just one, I think I would get the beyerdynamic.  I am currently using the THX-00 at work and the DT1770 at home.

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #2,073 of 3,701
Jun 19, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #2,075 of 3,701
  http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=36

Wow, you did a nice find with this company, I will definitely buy one from them. I like the  1.5 m Noir HPC Mk2 best so far.

beerchug.gif

Peter

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #2,076 of 3,701
Does anyone own both the DT 1770 and AK T8iE and can give a comparison?

From the reviews in this thread, it seems like they might share the same sound signature, although the T8 seems to have more forward midrange and recessed treble relatively.

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #2,077 of 3,701
  Does anyone own both the DT 1770 and AK T8iE and can give a comparison?

From the reviews in this thread, it seems like they might share the same sound signature, although the T8 seems to have more forward midrange and recessed treble relatively.

Thanks.

I have the DT1770 and use it on the go. I just tried the T8IE briefly, and I thought they have similar characteristic in terms of overall presentation especially in the bass region. I can't say they are similar up top but overall it sounds familiar to me.

Just take this with a grain of salt and just waiting for the T8 mkII before I do a thorough comparison.

I hope it's as good if not very close to DT1770 so I can finally have a more compact portable setup.

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #2,078 of 3,701

I have the DT1770 and use it on the go. I just tried the T8IE briefly, and I thought they have similar characteristic in terms of overall presentation especially in the bass region. I can't say they are similar up top but overall it sounds familiar to me.

Just take this with a grain of salt and just waiting for the T8 mkII before I do a thorough comparison.

I hope it's as good if not very close to DT1770 so I can finally have a more compact portable setup.

Thanks for your impressions, headwhacker! :) I look forward to MK II as well

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #2,079 of 3,701
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on which pads work the best including after market ones. I was looking at trying the T1 G2 pads anyone got any other opinions?

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #2,080 of 3,701
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on which pads work the best including after market ones. I was looking at trying the T1 G2 pads anyone got any other opinions?

Different pads alter the sound. I like the velour, so no need to try different pads. The T1 is an open back, the DT1770 is closed back. So to me it makes not much sense to try the T1 pads. Maybe you give the T5p pads a try, as they are also for a closed back can.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,082 of 3,701
Different pads alter the sound. I like the velour, so no need to try different pads. The T1 is an open back, the DT1770 is closed back. So to me it makes not much sense to try the T1 pads. Maybe you give the T5p pads a try, as they are also for a closed back can.

I've always liked the comfort of the velour pads on these?

How do the pleather pads alter the sound? I'd imagine they would slightly improve isolation, slightly improve bass impact and slightly reduce soundstage.

Also, has anyone compared these to the Meze 99 Classics, and I'm deciding which to keep. I like them both, but the Beyers are more comfortable, and I enjoy their treble presentation.

They're also surprisingly easy to drive for 250Ohm cans, no doubt due to their relatively high sensitivity. My LG V10, which is one of the more powerful phones out there (and has a dedicated DAC) sounds surprisingly good with them.

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2,084 of 3,701
Also, has anyone compared these to the Meze 99 Classics, and I'm deciding which to keep. I like them both, but the Beyers are more comfortable, and I enjoy their treble presentation.

They're also surprisingly easy to drive for 250Ohm cans, no doubt due to their relatively high sensitivity. 

The DT1770 and the Meze 99 Classics are both great closed-back headphones, but don't sound very similar. 

I think it will come down to which flavor you prefer (as well as comfort, looks and which has better synergy with your source gear).

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #2,085 of 3,701
https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-1770-PRO-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00U12B3TY/

$300??? Imported from a Japanese vendor. Amazing price but no idea how it's so low!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back