Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
May 11, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #2,041 of 3,701
I think I ****ed up making the 1770s my first "headphone" purchase....I don't know what the progression/upgrade would be without SERIOUS investment. They are efficient but revealing when amped, the sub bass is amazing (actually the whole freq range but the lower region stands out without overpowering...) 

I guess if I HAD to complain they don't lend themselves for "portability" but that wasn't Beyers intention being a Studio piece of kit and they aren't glasses friendly, thankfully I can wear contacts and quit bitchin... Okay I guess there is one other almost negative but it is extremely personal, the very upper tip of my ears touch the ID of the pads no matter how I place the headphones on my head...

I just swapped to the leather style pads (the velours were installed by the previous owner) but I don't feel any significant difference in "breathability." 

The only "upgrade" I plan on for the actual headphones will be a cable but I have not decided if I want to shorten a stock cable from Beyerdynamic or build one from scratch. Other than that I can save and invest in my source gear. It would take a very impressive product with extremely competitive pricing to pique my interest in adding a companion to my DT 1770s

May 11, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #2,043 of 3,701
  I think I ****ed up making the 1770s my first "headphone" purchase....I don't know what the progression/upgrade would be without SERIOUS investment. They are efficient but revealing when amped, the sub bass is amazing (actually the whole freq range but the lower region stands out without overpowering...) 

I guess if I HAD to complain they don't lend themselves for "portability" but that wasn't Beyers intention being a Studio piece of kit and they aren't glasses friendly, thankfully I can wear contacts and quit bitchin... Okay I guess there is one other almost negative but it is extremely personal, the very upper tip of my ears touch the ID of the pads no matter how I place the headphones on my head...

I just swapped to the leather style pads (the velours were installed by the previous owner) but I don't feel any significant difference in "breathability." 

The only "upgrade" I plan on for the actual headphones will be a cable but I have not decided if I want to shorten a stock cable from Beyerdynamic or build one from scratch. Other than that I can save and invest in my source gear. It would take a very impressive product with extremely competitive pricing to pique my interest in adding a companion to my DT 1770s

Pro gear is always meant to be kind of portable. If you put them in the very small DT case from Beyerdynamic then they fit every backpack. The cable is easily detachable and can be coiled between the ear pads and the headband easily. I use the coiled cable for portable use. It is kinda heavy, but fits the bill for me as a short and not stubborn cable.

I wear glasses all the time, what exactly is your problem?
And yes my rather large earlobes also touch the ear pads, but I have had much worse cans in this regards. The Sony Z7 is better  in this regard, but tends to cook you during spring to autumn when the temp is high. that is exactly why I sold it. The HD 650 is my comfort king, but it is open, so no comparison.
Regarding cable upgrades, you can use all cables made for AKG K702/K712/K7XX, as they use the same plug and are pin compatible.

May 12, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #2,045 of 3,701
It is self seviceable

May 23, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #2,046 of 3,701
These are my first pair of truly high end headphones.  I'm coming from a pair of DT 770 pro 80s that I've enjoyed for many years.  I recently bought a Schiit stack, a Modi 2 Uber with a Vali 2, running a Telefunken E88CC Black Diamond, and holy crap I didn't think headphones could sound this good!

I'm currently using a 30 day trial to Tidal.com, and these sound so good with lossless streaming that I'm thinking about continuing the service.  Thanks everyone for the help and the good info.  Loving these headphones. :D

If you are a fan of your DT 770 pros and you are looking for an upgrade, look no further.

May 23, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #2,048 of 3,701
So, how does the DT1770 compare with the T5P 2nd Gen or the AKT5P?

That is a very good question, indeed. Maybe if I make it to the Ifa in Berlin this year, I can find out. Last year I went there found the DT 1770 and placed my order. Still like it very much.

May 23, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2,049 of 3,701
  So, how does the DT1770 compare with the T5P 2nd Gen or the AKT5P?

I'll take a stab at answering this. I had both headphones, one after another for 2 weeks each. I'm not a reviewer but bear with me...

The DT1770 is v-shaped versus T5p.2's neutral. The DT1770 has more slam and bass than the T5p.2, but the mids were too recessed for my tastes. The T5p.2 is very neutral imo, with a balanced presentation across the spectrum. Nothing's emphasized nor left behind. I was surprised at how the T5p.2 was able to stradle the fine line between sibilant and bright in some of my songs where other (lesser) headphones have resulted in some sibilance.  Soundstage I found the T5p.2 just a little wider than the DT1770. I drove both with a Mojo. 

Physically, the DT1770 beats the T5p.2. The DT1770 felt like a professonal's tool, but the T5p.2 felt like I needed to baby it. The price might have subconsciously influenced that mindset however...

In terms of leakage, the DT1770 has an advantage because of its smaller bass port. However, I was able to use the T5p.2 at normal volumes in my cubicle without complaints. 

I ultimately returned both and now have a Ether C on the way.

May 24, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #2,051 of 3,701
May 24, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2,052 of 3,701
Yes.
It's part of its character...
I guess, but even the 770 has a smoother 'end of bass / early mid' range. I feel like it's just takes away a lot from vocalist singing (both overtones and undertones) within that range. And as for the 3000-4000Hz, that hits some instruments pretty hard (as well as major undertones for female vocals) though it does sound pretty good when it comes to guitars. It's nothing that can't be fixed with an EQ, but I feel like the 770s were just a better pair of headphones. The more impressive thing about the 1770 is the tesla 2.0 technology, the easily removable (replaceable) drivers (and cable), and the improved build quality.

May 25, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #2,053 of 3,701
I guess, but even the 770 has a smoother 'end of bass / early mid' range. I feel like it's just takes away a lot from vocalist singing (both overtones and undertones) within that range. And as for the 3000-4000Hz, that hits some instruments pretty hard (as well as major undertones for female vocals) though it does sound pretty good when it comes to guitars. It's nothing that can't be fixed with an EQ, but I feel like the 770s were just a better pair of headphones. The more impressive thing about the 1770 is the tesla 2.0 technology, the easily removable (replaceable) drivers (and cable), and the improved build quality.

I also do not use the DT-1770 as much as T5p because the 1770 lack a certain intimacy with vocals. Maybe this is what you experience? I might be able to adjust to that over some more time if I stopped listening to the T5p and switching back and forth. But after two months the T5pv1 gets more listening time for me. 

May 25, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #2,054 of 3,701
I also do not use the DT-1770 as much as T5p because the 1770 lack a certain intimacy with vocals. Maybe this is what you experience? I might be able to adjust to that over some more time if I stopped listening to the T5p and switching back and forth. But after two months the T5pv1 gets more listening time for me. 
I'm not sure about the first one, but I actually got to tryout the new gen2 T5p, and it doesn't suffer from the same problems as the 1770. Vocals and soundstage (and neutrality) are much better on them then the 1770, and they are much more comfortable. But, then again I guess you get what you pay for there because they are much too expensive for me, but the opposite could be said about the 770 vs the 1770.

May 25, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #2,055 of 3,701
Sometimes when we hear a ''problem'' with a new product I think it's because we have become so use to the sound of the product (headphones in this case) that we are used to. And sometimes the problem is more on the old product that we have gotten used to over the years, than the new one. Our brains get used to a certain sound, and something that sounds different from that tend to sound flawed.

This is not specifically related to the DT1770 but to sound in general. When I evaluate a new product I listen to it for an extended period, just listening, not checking for problems. And then after some time I switch back to the old product I'm used to. That's when I do the comparison.

For instance when I have listened a lot to my DT1770 for a period of time and then listen to my AKG K812 I get the impression that the K812 totally lack bass and it sounds like a problem with the K812. But after listening to the K812 for a long period and then switching the DT1770 sounds like they have too much bass and lack transparency.

Personally I don't hear any problems with the DT1770...

Regarding the comfort: If you feel the pressure is too much, just bend the headband outwards until the pressure is right for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back