Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Feb 8, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #1,621 of 3,701
I would look at Violectric for a DAC / Headphone amplifier. I have the V100 and I have been very happy with the sound and how it matches up with my T1s and DT 880s. Great Amplifier and great company too.

Greg

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #1,622 of 3,701
Similar situation was to me... So i buyed A20... Maybe wait for fiio k5? Most People here always tell about mistic sound increase when you buy expensive amps or dacs, but they cant judge correctly cheapish gear, because it does not have high price tag... Buy now something cheap like coming K5 or E12 and if you like its sound signature, you can buy later pricier amp with same sound signature.

so which amps did you tested with beside a20 ?

and which one produced the best sound for pop music and dance music ? if price didn't matter which amp should i go for if i want to listen to pop and dance and trance music 
is 1770 with a20 even good with these kind of music or i am better off buying something else , because the only good amp that i currently can buy beside a20 is like a200 or E12A E17K and E18 , should i just go with a20 ?

and also how comfy 1770 is ? is it good for 5-6 hour usage ?

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #1,623 of 3,701
also why do they call DT 1770 pro a STUDIO headphone ? even in their website it says that its best for studio producers !
does that mean its not the best for people who want to just listen to music in genres like pop , dance , trance hip hop electronic and more ? ( no jazz or classic )

also which one is better for the music types that i mentioned above ? DT 1770 Pro or Sennheiser HD8 DJ ?

also the second one is only for DJ's ? or is it good for people who want to just listen to music in their home too ? ( i'm just looking for the best headphone out there for the music types that i mentioned , and only for home use , price does not matter )

Typically "Studio" from pro companies means relatively flat, but sometimes in the mind of consumers or audiophiles "boring". Headphones like T1 or T5p or T70 / 90 are aimed at consumers and "audiophiles", which currently seem to favor bright sound signatures with not a lot of bass.

A nice amp is great for a 250 or higher Ohm Headphone - but spending more than 200 bucks is diminishing returns. Same with DACs. I feel that a dac over onboard audio is noticable, but barely - a good amp is noticable to a bigger degree. If I had to say numbers, 5% DAC difference and 10% to 15% Amp difference from a standard onboard PC sound. YMMV.

5% can be HUUUGE to some. But if you don't know what you are buying, don't waste your money. A20 is great with Beyers 1770.

Also, from 770 to 1770, the difference is also noth "HUUGE", maybe 10% (Again, this can be a huge difference to some)

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #1,624 of 3,701
Typically "Studio" from pro companies means relatively flat, but sometimes in the mind of consumers or audiophiles "boring". Headphones like T1 or T5p or T70 / 90 are aimed at consumers and "audiophiles", which currently seem to favor bright sound signatures with not a lot of bass.

A nice amp is great for a 250 or higher Ohm Headphone - but spending more than 200 bucks is diminishing returns. Same with DACs. I feel that a dac over onboard audio is noticable, but barely - a good amp is noticable to a bigger degree. If I had to say numbers, 5% DAC difference and 10% to 15% Amp difference from a standard onboard PC sound. YMMV.

5% can be HUUUGE to some. But if you don't know what you are buying, don't waste your money. A20 is great with Beyers 1770.

Also, from 770 to 1770, the difference is also noth "HUUGE", maybe 10% (Again, this can be a huge difference to some)

I do not think this is a fair assessment. The dt1770 opens the sound up considerably, providing significant more detail, clarity and spectrum balance. Bass on the dt770 is powerful, but to my ears pretty one notey and missing detail and texture compared to the dt1770. Bass also comes from around you (like a sub in a room) on the dt1770, where as the dt770 just hits you in the face with it. The dt1770 comes across to me as more euphoric than the dt770. To me, the dt770 is a great buy at it prices for rock and pop, but I find it not great at more detail orientated music like electronic, prog, classical and jazz. The dt770 v-sig makes classical and jazz not great, but the dt1770 is much more balanced and open sounding in the top end, allowing jazz and classical to shine to my ears.

Dt770 was my first nice closed headphone. It is a great starting point, but to me the dt1770 is a VERY BIG increase in quality of sound.

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,626 of 3,701
I do not think this is a fair assessment. The dt1770 opens the sound up considerably, providing significant more detail, clarity and spectrum balance. Bass on the dt770 is powerful, but to my ears pretty one notey and missing detail and texture compared to the dt1770. Bass also comes from around you (like a sub in a room) on the dt1770, where as the dt770 just hits you in the face with it. The dt1770 comes across to me as more euphoric than the dt770. To me, the dt770 is a great buy at it prices for rock and pop, but I find it not great at more detail orientated music like electronic, prog, classical and jazz. The dt770 v-sig makes classical and jazz not great, but the dt1770 is much more balanced and open sounding in the top end, allowing jazz and classical to shine to my ears.

Dt770 was my first nice closed headphone. It is a great starting point, but to me the dt1770 is a VERY BIG increase in quality of sound.

As I said, YMMV. For a person like a friend of mine, he couldn't hear much difference - they both sounded AMAAAZING to him. He is coming from apple earbuds.

But for me, the price increase of the 1770 IS worth it. For my friend, not so much. He said: 99% as good for less than a third of the price, why would I want more...

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,627 of 3,701
As I said, YMMV. For a person like a friend of mine, he couldn't hear much difference - they both sounded AMAAAZING to him. He is coming from apple earbuds.

But for me, the price increase of the 1770 IS worth it. For my friend, not so much. He said: 99% as good for less than a third of the price, why would I want more...

I get what you are saying, about someone with completely untrained ears. My point is that the dt1770 are a significant upgrade for everyone, even if they cannot appreciate how much of an upgrade they are. Like I wrote, your friend should start with dt770 to recalibrate his ears, but the dt1770 are not a slight upgrade from there imo.

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,628 of 3,701
I get what you are saying, about someone with completely untrained ears. My point is that the dt1770 are a significant upgrade for everyone, even if they cannot appreciate how much of an upgrade they are. Like I wrote, your friend should start with dt770 to recalibrate his ears, but the dt1770 are not a slight upgrade from there imo.

Also, if your friend is into pop or basic rock the dt770 will satisfy (maybe forever). But if they appreciate more detailed music they will probably not be satisfied with the dt770 very long.

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #1,629 of 3,701
Hi , take a look on this one , very very fine cable :http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/cables-pour-casques/furutech-adl-ihp-35x-ii-cable-casque-35mm-vers-mini-xlr-f-13m-p-10136.html

That was exactly what I was looking for just yesterday... I sat down with the DT1770 connected to my AK320 (very nice combination btw) and the long and a bit stiff cable was not the best experience, especially when compared with the T5p cable...

also why do they call DT 1770 pro a STUDIO headphone ? even in their website it says that its best for studio producers !
does that mean its not the best for people who want to just listen to music in genres like pop , dance , trance hip hop electronic and more ? ( no jazz or classic )

also which one is better for the music types that i mentioned above ? DT 1770 Pro or Sennheiser HD8 DJ ?

also the second one is only for DJ's ? or is it good for people who want to just listen to music in their home too ? ( i'm just looking for the best headphone out there for the music types that i mentioned , and only for home use , price does not matter )

While the "Studio" and "Pro" labels are often misused (especially with cheap products) in this case they mean exactly that: their primary target audience is studio people. That means a frequency response tuned to be quite neutral (without the presence elevation often found with high-end headphones) and things like single-sided cable entry. Beyerdynamic sees its market as two separate fields: studio and home audio. The products are part of one of these line-ups and are even going through different distributors. Its not that they would not sell a "Pro"-line headphone to a home user (and of course they work beautifully) but when confronted with questions like "why is there no balanced cable/connection available" will answer something along the lines that symmetric headphone connections are not a thing in the studio (I know about balanced interconnects between components -- whole other topic).

I've only listened to the HD8 for a short time, but it was too colored for normal music listening. May work for DJing (electronic styles I'd say), but I think its not suitable for private use. The DT1770 is much cleaner and more versatile regarding music styles.

I must say I take descriptions like 'Studio, DJ, Professional, Premium etc with a pinch of salt.

Especially regarding so-called DJ headphones thats to be expected: its more a label to increase sales than anything else. Actual DJ booths are still dominated by HD25, HDJ2000, TMA-1 and just a few others.

is Beyerdynamic a20 a good amp for dt 1770 ? or i am better off using cheaper amp's ? 

Tha DT1770 produces quite some bass driven by the A20. Not mushy, but maybe a bit more than with other amps. I think the A20 is a very nice and capable amp, but if you're on a budget maybe someone can recommend a cheaper alternative (and while I like Schiit as a business the two amps I've heard so far did not satisfy me).

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #1,631 of 3,701
ok guys , if you have a DT 1770 , it would be VERY helpful to me if you answer this 

first off which amp do you use ? does it make any change beside making the volume higher ? 

also how good is it for genres like pop , hip hop , electronic , dance trance , rock , rap ( like every genre except jazz or classic ) i mean it would be very helpful 
if you review the  genres that i mentioned with your amp and headphone and tell us the result .
also is this even for home usage ? or only for music producers and studios ? how do you use it ? in home ?

and overall , does it worth it for the genres that i mentioned ? ( if the next best headphone i can buy is HD8 DJ and i have a denon d2000 already but a broken one:frowning2: , will it be a good upgrade from denon d2000 ? ) also if you tested both dt 1770 and d2000 , then that would be super helpful for me if you compare them based on the genres that i listen to ! like compare the bass and overall quality and comfort to d2000

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #1,632 of 3,701
I Dont like DT990 and a20 pairing for music, because DT990 is already bassy and A20 is also bassy... When you pair bassy cans like Dt1770 and dt990 With A20. Bass becomes not as tight and semetimes bloated. Mids and Highs ar good, but Soundstage, separation and imaging is nothing amazing. From My E12 amp A20 is very small upgrade... Just buy Schiit walhalla and you will get tight bass, natural mids, cleaner highs, much better details, soundstage and imaging! Headphone makers amps is extremely overpriced!!! Walhalla in my opinion is better than HVD600.

My portable Oppo HA-2 is a good match. They sound wonderful together.

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #1,633 of 3,701

does it make any change beside making the volume higher ? 

An amp isn't for making the volume louder. You can abuse it for that - but you will hurt your hearing.

An amp just controls the drivers better. Smoother if you will.

Imagine a car with a lawnmower engine and bike brakes and one with a V8 and brembo brakes. They both only drive 25 MPH. While the lawnmower is just fine and powerfull enough for this, it will still be working hard and vibrating like crazy. Not a very smooth expereince. The V8 on the other hand will barely be noticeable.

If you suddenly need to accelerate very fast to 35 MPH, the car with power reserve will do it faster and smoother as well.

Same with amps and drivers. Having power on tap is always good. The signal to your drivers is AC. "Current" pushes the driver one way and "negative current" will push it the other way. The driver doesn't want to do this, as it likes to sit in the middle. (Picture a bass driver in a speaker - the membrane surround will try to "dampen" it as well as keep it centered in X and Y axis.

This means (In simple terms) for a bass hit, the driver needs to accelerate very quickly towards your head and hit the brakes, then accellerate backwards away from your head (Through the sitting still point) and hit the brakes. It needs to stop perfectly "on a dime" at both ends. If the power and "brakes" suck, then it will shoot past its goal on both ends. This would create waht people define as "muddy" bass.

This is true for all frequencies of course.

The general effect is not as dramatic as the car example of course. But it can be very noticeable with many headphones regardless of Ohm or power needs. YMMV- Music can be fully enjoyed with basic earbuds out of a phone. Its about the music - never forget that!

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #1,635 of 3,701
That was exactly what I was looking for just yesterday... I sat down with the DT1770 connected to my AK320 (very nice combination btw) and the long and a bit stiff cable was not the best experience, especially when compared with the T5p cable...

While the "Studio" and "Pro" labels are often misused (especially with cheap products) in this case they mean exactly that: their primary target audience is studio people. That means a frequency response tuned to be quite neutral (without the presence elevation often found with high-end headphones) and things like single-sided cable entry. Beyerdynamic sees its market as two separate fields: studio and home audio. The products are part of one of these line-ups and are even going through different distributors. Its not that they would not sell a "Pro"-line headphone to a home user (and of course they work beautifully) but when confronted with questions like "why is there no balanced cable/connection available" will answer something along the lines that symmetric headphone connections are not a thing in the studio (I know about balanced interconnects between components -- whole other topic).

I've only listened to the HD8 for a short time, but it was too colored for normal music listening. May work for DJing (electronic styles I'd say), but I think its not suitable for private use. The DT1770 is much cleaner and more versatile regarding music styles.

Especially regarding so-called DJ headphones thats to be expected: its more a label to increase sales than anything else. Actual DJ booths are still dominated by HD25, HDJ2000, TMA-1 and just a few others.

Tha DT1770 produces quite some bass driven by the A20. Not mushy, but maybe a bit more than with other amps. I think the A20 is a very nice and capable amp, but if you're on a budget maybe someone can recommend a cheaper alternative (and while I like Schiit as a business the two amps I've heard so far did not satisfy me).
A20 is capable amp, but tuning of it is not good for bassy headphones like my HD650 or DT990. Bass sometimes takes away to many energy and details from upper mids and highs... Try A20 with more neutral headphones like T90, T1 1st and HD600... These parings would be much better! Beyerdynamic A2 is only little better than A20, But feels much better, because its just as fun, but much more transparent, faster, wider, more detailed and tighter. A20 Falls behind, because of combination of big bass and too fat mids and recessed upper mids and highs. You will lose lot of details, speed, transparency, soundstage will be hurted and so on with this tuning. They make A2 with right tuning so they can justify its price ha ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back