Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Nov 23, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #1,036 of 3,701
  All in all, that makes me wonder if some of these QC issues transfer to the T1.2 and if I should hold off for a while to see if others also report similar experiences. Thing is, I am really impatient once I decide to make a purchase 
redface.gif

And yes, there have been a few reports of the T1.2 also having some issues. Too bad...

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,037 of 3,701
  I was still deciding whether to keep the 1770 and I have to admit that I got used to the mid-bass much more. The mids and highs are fantastic, so is the resolution. Anyone, who wants a fun sounding, but still mature and refined headphone should give these a listen. Vocals sound very natural and engaging, without being too forward or overshadowing. The highs are quite neutral without any peaks, but are not veiled at the same time. Someone said earlier, they reminded him of a closed HD650 that Sennheiser never built, which I can see. However, the 1770 don't suffer from Sennheiser's veiled sound, have much better resolution and superior low end response. Also the mids are not as artificially thick, here.

Anyway, since two days ago, the replacement set developed the same issue as the initial headphones. The driver in the right cup is rattling/vibrating all of a sudden, especially with bass heavy music. This is rather disheartening if I am honest. Also the second pair makes a horrible cracking sound where the right bracket/gimbal is meeting the headband (i.e. the size adjustment, I guess) whenever I put them on or off, basically when the band gets bend a bit. My 990 pros also have that sometimes when the cups are swivelled, but it is not nearly as loud. Also they cost less than a quarter of these, so to me that does not feel ok for a premium product.  The rest of the build quality is great and I am not sure what is going on, maybe some early production QC issue, especially with the Teska 2.0 drivers. Because of this, Beyer made the decision for me and I am going to return them and shy away from the 1770s.

All in all, that makes me wonder if some of these QC issues transfer to the T1.2 and if I should hold off for a while to see if others also report similar experiences. Thing is, I am really impatient once I decide to make a purchase 
redface.gif

@plakat: Thanks for your kind offer, much appreciated and sorry that I have not replied earlier. I live in London atm so travel would be a bit far, just for auditioning headphones.
biggrin.gif
 I am originally from Nuremberg, which would be much closer to Vienna so maybe I will join a Vienna meet one day.

You might ant to quote the affected serial numbers, so we and Beyer can compare and take action. Mine is absolute flawless and it has # 00904

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,038 of 3,701
And yes, there have been a few reports of the T1.2 also having some issues. Too bad...
One of the reasons i decided not to chose T1 and go with either HD800 or HD800S. My Dt990 have rattling at high wolumes. I read that Even t90 and t1 have those issues! I don't get it why they cant put drivers that does not rattle!? Why manufacturers don't test its headphones? Does only Sennheiser make headphones whitout problems???

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #1,039 of 3,701
One of the reasons i decided not to chose T1 and go with either HD800 or HD800S. My Dt990 have rattling at high wolumes. I read that Even t90 and t1 have those issues! I don't get it why they cant put drivers that does not rattle!? Why manufacturers don't test its headphones? Does only Sennheiser make headphones whitout problems???

Maybe it is a packaging and /or a transportation issue? Mine only needed to travel 500 or less km on good highways instead of transatlantic flights through several hubs to get to your home wherever you live in the world. I work for the global supply chain of a large company and I have seen all kinds of small( like loose connectors) and large damages (like broken wheels on carts or totally damaged bigger devices destroyed from forklifts).

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,040 of 3,701
Didn't think I would offend anyone. Only asked questions in relationship to what I've read and my rather novice experience.

No, you did not, no worries. Asking questions is what this place is for. You do your research and wanted input, there's no problem with that. Hope we could help you a bit, if not just ask.

@plakat: Thanks for your kind offer, much appreciated and sorry that I have not replied earlier. I live in London atm so travel would be a bit far, just for auditioning headphones. :D  I am originally from Nuremberg, which would be much closer to Vienna so maybe I will join a Vienna meet one day.

sorry to hear of your problems. I hope Beyerdynamic will resolve that issue for you.
Would of course be nice to meet you in Vienna! We're aiming for January or February for our next meet, we'll discuss that here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/786111/austria-head-fi-lounge

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,041 of 3,701
Now THIS is a headphone that sounds promising to me, as I am a closed + velour enthusiast! I've been wearing my DT 770's for the last five years because I have yet to find a suitable upgrade. Tried the SRH1540. Loved the sound, but the dual headband put weird pressure on my head and the earcups are *slightly* too small. Tried the TH900 at a meet. Don't think I've ever heard a better sounding closed headphone, but I hate leather and pleather pads, so that one was out. Read about the T70, and got really scared of the reported sound signature. Never tried it.

This DT 1770 sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. My only concern is the occasional mention of harder clamping force. If Beyerdynamic knew people loved the gentle pillow-like clamp of the DT 770, why would they make the DT 1770 clamp TWICE is hard!? Hopefully I don't mind it. I don't mind ye olde Sennheiser HD 650 clamp, but that is sort of a different fit altogether, as it *completely* encompasses the ears. I wish I could try this one out before I buy it, but I might have to pull the trigger once I save up some cash.

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #1,042 of 3,701
I bought my dt 1770 pro from buysonic, and unfortunately my 1770s have developed driver rattle particularly in the right ear cup that ruins them for me. Buysonic has a very short return period and says to contact the manufacturer. Has anyone else had success in getting their dt 1770s fixed by beyer?

Nov 26, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #1,043 of 3,701

Production has started already, but I don't know precisely, which distributor receives which quantity when.
DT 770 Pro will continue, of course. I don't know, why they don't list it.
Which sense would it make, if I claim that the DT 1770 Pro is the higher-grade alternative to the DT 770 Pro, if the 770 stopped?

About the impedance question: Please understand that I cannot say anything about (possible) future changes in our product portfolio.
Maybe ask Wikileaks?
wink_face.gif

@Dear Hanselman, 
I appreciate all Beyerdynamic legacy, having DT150 and being very happy with them. But I'd like to ask you what was the motivation to make a DT1770? The good studio closed headphone is DT770. What was the goal of your team with DT1770. Surely DT1770 looks nice, got nice finish. New technology on board. But many Tesla headphones are known from pekas an lower treble and not that 'body and soul' of DT150/DT990... Are DT1770 really the better? 

Best regards

Mac

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #1,044 of 3,701
This DT 1770 sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. My only concern is the occasional mention of harder clamping force. If Beyerdynamic knew people loved the gentle pillow-like clamp of the DT 770, why would they make the DT 1770 clamp TWICE is hard!? Hopefully I don't mind it.

I think they also changed the measurement procedure, so the numbers can't be directly compared. I don't feel the DT1770 clamping much harder than the DT770

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,047 of 3,701
@Dear Hanselman, 
I appreciate all Beyerdynamic legacy, having DT150 and being very happy with them. But I'd like to ask you what was the motivation to make a DT1770? The good studio closed headphone is DT770. What was the goal of your team with DT1770. Surely DT1770 looks nice, got nice finish. New technology on board. But many Tesla headphones are known from pekas an lower treble and not that 'body and soul' of DT150/DT990... Are DT1770 really the better? 

Best regards

Mac

Yes!

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,048 of 3,701
  The DT-1770 dropped to $467.73 on Amazon, the lowest it's been. I just purchased a pair from Buysonic but I think this is a better deal especially considering Amazon's return policy. BTW, I love mine.

Thanks so much for the alert! Been debating this purchase for weeks and this was enough for me to pull the trigger. Nearly 25% discount? Heck yes!

Re: Amplification... does anyone have opinions on whether Schiit Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2 would pair better with these? Currently running my 770's off an E17k and need something better to match the 1770s!

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,049 of 3,701
Tubes amps are great for beyers. But for Tesla 2.0, DT 1770 Pro, solid state seems to be better.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0142FEWD4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=15WHF860WWFKCXN5AW7B&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577049067&pf_rd_i=desktop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back