Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 23, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #901 of 3,701
  @gelocks 

Amongst many headphones you've also heard or owned Hope VI. Could you try and compare it to the 1770? In the FAD thread you once said the DX1000 is 'too bass heavy' and I can agree now. It's no competition ^^

Hello, to tell you the truth, I don't remember the Hope VI sound to well for a decent comparison, but I know that I liked them a lot. The comfort was just way too wacky for my head and ears and I couldn't stand them too much. But after that, they came up with different pads, etc. I think @grizzlybeast might remember a bit more (he loaned them to me a while ago if I'm not mistaken). Of the top of my head, they had a good amount of bass and impact (possibly more mid-bass impact than the 1770s), narrower sound stage, Ok imaging, and excellent highs. They were somewhat energetic without becoming fatiguing. The 1770s have good highs but lack the energy that the VI's provided. Again, take it with a grain of salt.

Regarding comfort though, no question, the DT1770s are better... (imaging and sound stage as well...)

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #902 of 3,701
  @gelocks 

Amongst many headphones you've also heard or owned Hope VI. Could you try and compare it to the 1770? In the FAD thread you once said the DX1000 is 'too bass heavy' and I can agree now. It's no competition ^^

@gelocks 

Hello, to tell you the truth, I don't remember the Hope VI sound to well for a decent comparison, but I know that I liked them a lot. The comfort was just way too wacky for my head and ears and I couldn't stand them too much. But after that, they came up with different pads, etc. I think @grizzlybeast might remember a bit more (he loaned them to me a while ago if I'm not mistaken). Of the top of my head, they had a good amount of bass and impact (possibly more mid-bass impact than the 1770s), narrower sound stage, Ok imaging, and excellent highs. They were somewhat energetic without becoming fatiguing. The 1770s have good highs but lack the energy that the VI's provided. Again, take it with a grain of salt.

Regarding comfort though, no question, the DT1770s are better... (imaging and sound stage as well...)

alright I will give it a crack. I have owned two pairs of Hope VI's but a while back me and Moriez disagreed a bit on how it compared to the th600 so I am not sure he will count my opinion. Plus its been a while and my tastes have changed. To be upfront...

I prefer the dt1770. 

Vocals: hope
soundstage: beyer
upper mids: hope
airiness: hope
solidity: beyer
physicality: beyer
realism: hope
bass quantity: hope
mid bass quantity: hope
bass tightness: beyer
bass balance: beyer
instrument separation: beyer
imaging: beyer
treble tangibility: beyer
least splashy treble: beyer
bass quality: beyer
detail: hope
comfort: beyer
speed: hope

overall I find the beyer to have a more physical grip on the music and to be more controlled overall but the hope is fast, clean with a more engaging sound and sometimes more realistic. The beyer has my preference because of imaging etc and how solid the notes sound. I could be happy with both. Bass goes to the beyer but I like the hope quantity. 

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #903 of 3,701
Thanks a lot for the effort both! Appreciated.

Yeah grizzly, we seemed to be hearing things differently back then but I'll forgive you :p Seriously, I don't know what to make of that 1.5 years later. Would I have the opportunity to audition a TH600 now, more experience, change of preference and change of setup may let me decide differently.

Back to the topic at hand, could you further explain what you mean by the term solidity and am I correct that you find the 1770 to have less bass quantity? Hard to say I bet but are we talking slightly or even very slightly?

gelocks, should I interpret energetic highs as more engaging (and not as more quantity)?

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #904 of 3,701
  Thanks a lot for the effort both! Appreciated.

Yeah grizzly, we seemed to be hearing things differently back then but I'll forgive you :p Seriously, I don't know what to make of that 1.5 years later. Would I have the opportunity to audition a TH600 now, more experience, change of preference and change of setup may let me decide differently.

Back to the topic at hand, could you further explain what you mean by the term solidity and am I correct that you find the 1770 to have less bass quantity? Hard to say I bet but are we talking slightly or even very slightly?

gelocks, should I interpret energetic highs as more engaging (and not as more quantity)?

I am not saying it right prob but you know how planars tend to have more weighty tones vs dynamics well that is what I am referring to. The BA drivers have a thinner, faster and clearer sound while the tones of the beyer are more solid. 

The treble is more energetic on the hope. I would also say more splashy sounding even though it didn't hurt I like the gelocks said. Neither are boosted to the extremes but the upper midrange boost, treble boost, faster sound, and more air give the hope a more energetic sound in my opinion where as the beyer treble is more solid in tone, more snappy, and nimble with good speed but slower and more tangible. 

Dang well...... thats how my memory has it... the th600 has harsher treble and a big soundstage with razor sharp treble but still a bit more solid in tone than the hope. I think the hope sounds that way because its so fast. 

oh and my memory could be off but yes I think the hope has more bass but not like a whole lot more. I would love to have them both on hand to confirm my memory. I would love to own both as well and do a shootout between all of the mid tier headphones out there. Those options are increasing. 

The z7 would probably get eaten up by the rest but hold its own in some areas. 

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #905 of 3,701

I find the Z7 holds it's own or better with almost any <$1000 dynamic headphone...

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #907 of 3,701

Very large diaphragm....needs mucho power.

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #909 of 3,701

The treble is more energetic on the hope. I would also say more splashy sounding even though it didn't hurt I like the gelocks said. Neither are boosted to the extremes but the upper midrange boost, treble boost, faster sound, and more air give the hope a more energetic sound in my opinion where as the beyer treble is more solid in tone, more snappy, and nimble with good speed but slower and more tangible. 

Yeah, that's what I meant, a more energetic sound all around, especially the upper-mids/highs. :)

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #910 of 3,701

I am not saying it right prob but you know how planars tend to have more weighty tones vs dynamics well that is what I am referring to. The BA drivers have a thinner, faster and clearer sound while the tones of the beyer are more solid. 

Dang well...... thats how my memory has it... the th600 has harsher treble and a big soundstage with razor sharp treble but still a bit more solid in tone than the hope. I think the hope sounds that way because its so fast. 

oh and my memory could be off but yes I think the hope has more bass but not like a whole lot more. I would love to have them both on hand to confirm my memory. I would love to own both as well and do a shootout between all of the mid tier headphones out there. Those options are increasing. 

I follow what you're saying mostly. Gdmn, some of these terms and descriptions remain so abstract to me 
confused_face_2.gif

I'm interested in replacing the Pandora with in mind a whif more bass quantity. Now that you mention splashy-ness I can relate to it and comfort the most obvious. In an impression of Hope vs DX1000 I wrote the following to a member: 
''While I was listening to a certain tune the tambourines in that passage are really emerging with excitement on the Pandora while it just remains flat or not highlighted on the Viccers.''

It was one of the standout things that makes me rate Hope VI in the next league. Can you say anything about how 1770 handles the above described ''dynamics'? 

Yeah, that's what I meant, a more energetic sound all around, especially the upper-mids/highs. :)

Again I'm trying to picture exactly what you both mean with energetic. Best word I can think of is explosive in a non-aggressive way. Yes?

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #911 of 3,701

I follow what you're saying mostly. Gdmn, some of these terms and descriptions remain so abstract to me :confused_face_2:

I'm interested in replacing the Pandora with in mind a whif more bass quantity. Now that you mention splashy-ness I can relate to it and comfort the most obvious. In an impression of Hope vs DX1000 I wrote the following to a member: 
''While I was listening to a certain tune the tambourines in that passage are really emerging with excitement on the Pandora while it just remains flat or not highlighted on the Viccers.''

It was one of the standout things that makes me rate Hope VI in the next league. Can you say anything about how 1770 handles the above described ''dynamics'? 

Again I'm trying to picture exactly what you both mean with energetic. Best word I can think of is explosive in a non-aggressive way. Yes?

I did my best to describe this energy, the beyer treble is not boring. I love it and miss it already. Its not dull. I think you will enjoy it. It's hard not to appreciate this headphone

Give it a shot. I think you will like it, unless you need more bass than the hope.

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #912 of 3,701
  does anyone else have any creaking coming from the right earcup?

sorry to bump this but I would really like to know if anyone else has this or if I have a defective set. You can barely press on the right earcup and you can hear it creaking/flexing. The left earcup is solid with no creaking or flexing whatsoever.

I can hear a creaking or crackling sound from the right cup whenever I move my head. It's very annoying! Love these headphones otherwise!

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #913 of 3,701
  does anyone else have any creaking coming from the right earcup?

You have the limited edition Halloween version

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #915 of 3,701
sorry to bump this but I would really like to know if anyone else has this or if I have a defective set. You can barely press on the right earcup and you can hear it creaking/flexing. The left earcup is solid with no creaking or flexing whatsoever.

I can hear a creaking or crackling sound from the right cup whenever I move my head. It's very annoying! Love these headphones otherwise!
. You have a defective set , return it , and have à replacement one . Thanks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back