Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 13, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #781 of 3,701
I'm trying to decide between MDR-Z7 and the DT-1770. These would be used primarily for blu-rays and PS4/PC gaming. I've demoed the Z7s and was very impressed, but I've not heard the 1770s in person. If anyone happens to own/owned both what are your thoughts? I currently use the dt770 pro 80 but am ready to upgrade.

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #782 of 3,701
  If you like DT150's relaxed, laid-back feel, you might be disappointed with DT1770PRO.
But if you're looking for more punchy, tighter base with non-fatiguing treble with much better resolution, DT1770PRO would be one of candidates for upgrade.

Cheers.

Great, I like the more punchy and tighter bass with good resolution. Last night I heard Arron Copland: Billy the Kid performed in Denver with a large youth orchestra . A relaxed, laid-back headphone will not reproduce that music with justice. Already hear the  DT1770PRO at RMAF under show conditions.   I was looking at the DT150 because it was far cheaper. The one drawback of the DT1770PRO is that it can not easily converted to balanced mode since it uses a three pin mini xlr connector.

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #783 of 3,701
  Hi,
I still think DT1770PRO is closest headphone to DT150 in tonal balance among beyer's mid to high tier headphones(specifically T5p, T70, DT1350, T51p).
But someone in DT150 thread said "DT150 + tighter and more punchy bass + more detailed treble? that's totally different headphone!" and I thought he's reasonable.

I feel similarity between DT1770PRO and DT150 in; not spiky treble, neutral and solid mid presentation, great imaging, and bass amount.
and I have to add the sound stage of DT1770PRO is not as wide as DT150 -surprisingly wide one for closed back can.

If you like DT150's relaxed, laid-back feel, you might be disappointed with DT1770PRO.
But if you're looking for more punchy, tighter base with non-fatiguing treble with much better resolution, DT1770PRO would be one of candidates for upgrade.

Cheers.

I think he meant it as more than just the sound (sound is probably still his #1 reason/comparison though). This may not be that many similarities, but the DT 150 and 1770 both have detachable cables and a higher clamping force than the 770. The both also only come in 250 ohms with no other variants like the 770 has (not that significant though).

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #785 of 3,701
  I'm trying to decide between MDR-Z7 and the DT-1770. These would be used primarily for blu-rays and PS4/PC gaming. I've demoed the Z7s and was very impressed, but I've not heard the 1770s in person. If anyone happens to own/owned both what are your thoughts? I currently use the dt770 pro 80 but am ready to upgrade.

I can't comment on games but I'd say for movies the Z7 might be the better choice given its fun and relaxed signature that allows for higher listening levels without becoming fatiguing.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #786 of 3,701
I can't comment on games but I'd say for movies the Z7 might be the better choice given its fun and relaxed signature that allows for higher listening levels without becoming fatiguing.

I did some fps gaming over the last days. Used the DT1770 for some hours. No issues here, very good for 3 hours straight. Will report back later tonight after some Z7 gaming time.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #787 of 3,701
I've also done some gaming with the DT 1770 and think they are great. It's exactly what I was looking for as a step up from my HD 598.

Soundblaster Z -> 5.1 mixed to stereo over optical -> Modi 2 Uber -> Magni 2 Uber -> DT 1770 Pro

I don't have enough experience to compare or provide terribly useful examples but what I can say is that so I don't feel them lacking in anything. They seem to do everything really well. They sound balanced but still fun. Highs, mids, and lows all sound rich and detailed. You can hear everything clearly and with power yet without any one aspect drowning out or obscuring the rest. Dead silent background level, and they never sound like they are straining to reproduce any sound. Everything sounds like it was easy for the headphone to do. Soundstage and isolation seem pretty good (though I only have my open HD 598 as comparison). They are heavier and tighter than my HD 598 but still comfortable for hours on end. I don't really notice them using the pleather pads, which is surprising, as I thought I would sweat a lot but I don't. Somebody else mentioned that they might be a great can-only-have-one-headphone type deal and I think I would agree with this. I don't have any "if only it could..." type thoughts in my head and it seems to do everything I ask it to really well, so I don't feel a need to get anything else. I think just about everyone would be happy with these, and if you wouldn't be you probably have a very specific requirement and already know exactly what you need.

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #788 of 3,701
I did some fps gaming over the last days. Used the DT1770 for some hours. No issues here, very good for 3 hours straight. Will report back later tonight after some Z7 gaming time.

Almost forgot that you own both of them as well :wink: To me they are different enough to happily keep and use both.

They sound balanced but still fun.

This characterizes them very well I'd say. Yes, they strike a nearly perfect balance indeed.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #789 of 3,701
Played some FPS Black Ops 1 single player Level Kowloon. PC>ASUS XONAR STX Dolby headphone 8 channel gaming preset>headphone out>Sony MDR Z7 and Beyerdynamic DT 1770. I like the DT1770 more, because it is less bombastic and one can decipher more of its surrounding. If you need to know what is going on around you the DT 1770 leads by a clear margin. For movies I would prefer the Z7, but honestly the DT 1770 is a Jack of all Trades to me. If you can buy only one of them, the DT 1770 is the better choice IMHO.

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #790 of 3,701

I understand the doubts from people and the usual "this guy said something we don't agree with, let's make fun of him" behavior. I have offered several people (all audiophile buddies, some with 6 figure priced speaker setups and decades of hi-fi experience) to discern the iPhone 4S from a Musical Fidelity M1DAC in a blind test, offering my entire setup as a prize if they manage to pass the test. None did. In fact, all of them said they heard absolutely no difference and majority of their guesses were just guesses. I know it's hard to accept, and to be honest, I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about my opinion around here, because I know it's not an opinion anymore, it stopped being that after 15+ people with loads of experience, different sound preferences, and eager to prove me wrong, agreed with it.  Now it's a fact, tested many times in perfect conditions, on hi-fi meets where people are pumped up to hear new stuff, and each time proven to be correct.   Do I care that there are sources available out there for 100-150 dollars nowadays that outperform (in subjective listening and in objective technical measurements) dedicated DAC's from a few years ago that cost 600, 700, 800 or even more dollars, yet people are not even willing to give them a try because of their preconceived notions about them, and are even ready to jump into negative conclusions about those products without having any experience with them whatsoever? Nope, to each his own.

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #791 of 3,701
Btw. guys, I've been playing around with some Beyer headphones today in a music shop,  if you're willing to get the DT1770 Pro but don't have the budget, check out the new Custom Studio.  I heard one today, and man that thing is absolutely fantastic for the price, and much closer to the 1770 in terms of technical ability than you might think, at least from the setup used in my case. It's 80 ohms, but it sounds clearly superior to the 80 Ohm version of the DT770 Pro, it's sort of in between the 770 and 1770 in terms of resolution and technical ability, but closer to the 1770. Very clean sound, no grain whatsoever, wide and open sound stage (typical for closed beyers), almost as big as the 1770. BUT, the main thing is, it's fun. It sounds full and meaty, there's substance to sound, it's dynamic, everything has weight and presence and authority, but without being muddy. In that short 20 minute demo, it left a better impression on me, in terms of listening pleasure, than my T1's at home. Bass goes super deep, feels like there's no roll off all the way down. Not as controlled and tight as the 1770, but very close and again, superior to the 770's. It comes with those bass sliders, but they're pretty much useless, because unless they're fully open, the bass is weak, I'm talking DT880 weak on the 2nd setting (1st being fully open) and like  -20 db under 200 hz weak when it's full closed. It's similar to those settings on the Custom One Pro, but then that headphone is overall more bass heavy, so you actually can make use of the sliders.  Custom Studio, as is, with all ports open, sounds like a HD650fied version of the 770 Pro, with better bass extension and a bit more highs. Mids are full and lush, highs are detailed, but not sibilant at all, and very smooth.  Overall, it's an obviously more coherent, full and at the same time cleaner and better separated sound than the DT770 and a totally weird sound for a Beyerdynamic headphone, in a good way.  I'll reserve my comments on the 1770 because the setup I heard them from (a Focusrite 6i6 interface) might not be ideal for a headphone of that caliber, but boy did the Custom Studio leave a good impression, the best Beyerdynamic first impression ever. I got myself a DT880 because I needed a totally analytical can for some specific work, but I think tomorrow I'll go back and pick up that Studio.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #792 of 3,701
@derbigpr I'm curious if you would be able to post the list of DAC's that were compared to your iPhone 4s. More specifically I'd be curious to know about how it compares to these if it's been done: Gungnir Multibit, vitage Theta's, DAC-19, Gustard X20 or Geek Out v2. I'm not doubtin' your findings, but just curious how it compares to what I see as the best.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #793 of 3,701

I got a set of DT-1770's in last week and have had a full day of music on them. So some bullet points on my opinion of the cans.

-Put 12 hours of pink noise through them before the eval
-Tidal loss-less as source
-My other headphones for reference are the Oppo PM-3 and LCD-X
-Velour pads were used
-Used an OPPO HA-1, HA-2 and Schiit Modi/Vali for amplification
-Paired very well with the Schiit and HA-2. Just ok with the HA-1
-Slight V Signature
-These cans are awesome with Rock/Metal/Electronic and good with more acoustical/vocal music.
-Base response is impressive in punchiness and clarity.
-Close to the LCD-X in bass punchiness but does not extend as far as the LCD-X's
-DT-1770's have better extension in the bass and treble than the PM-3's
-A little funner than the PM-3's
- Not as compact as my PM-3's. I carry the PM-3s in my backpack. DT-1770 are too big for that.
-As for closed can, they have a decent sound stage.
-Detachable cables works well and very much appreciated.
-Cables are better than the norm for being factory supplied. I feel no need to upgrade the cables.
-Case works well to store cables and headphone.
-I find them comfortable with the valor pads. They did initial clamp a bit tight. I just stretch them a little to relive that. No problems with a 4+ hour session.

Overall, I am very happy with the performance of these closed back cans and think they are worth the asking price. These are the best sounding Beyerdynamic headphones I have herd.(compared to the DT990 Pro 250, T1 v1) IMHO. I do not think they punch above their price point, but right at it. I will post some pictures up tonight.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #794 of 3,701

StandUp713

Thanks for stating your opinion.  I would agree that the dt1770 would have a slight V signature in order to have that deep punch. I think that the slight V signature is tasteful done. I have the OPPO HA-1 as well and you said it was okay and I find in general the single-ended output of the HA-1 will struggle with the 250 ohms of the DT1770. However the balanced outputs of the HA-1 works great with my HE-400. You said that that LCD-X, my favorite of the Audeze line have deeper sub-bass but I can not hear the sub bass as well but really can hear the bass punch of the DT1770. The LCD-X is too heavy for me and sometimes I like to jiggle a bit with the music and with the mass of the LCD-X will have a harder time staying in one place on the head. looking at another SS amp for headphones and have not made that decision yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back