Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 14, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #796 of 3,701
Is the DT1770 worth the $600 price? Is it a lot better than the DT 770?

That has been confirmed several times here, but again:
Yes

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #797 of 3,701
  @derbigpr I'm curious if you would be able to post the list of DAC's that were compared to your iPhone 4s. More specifically I'd be curious to know about how it compares to these if it's been done: Gungnir Multibit, vitage Theta's, DAC-19, Gustard X20 or Geek Out v2. I'm not doubtin' your findings, but just curious how it compares to what I see as the best.

None of those.  Musical Fidelity M1DAC (1st gen without async. usb and 2nd gen with it),  Nuforce HDP,  NAD D1050, Asus Essence One, Cambridge Audio DAC Magic+, these are the DAC/amp combos that I've owned and felt none of them improved over the iphone in any way other than volume level when using easy to power headphones such as the Denon AH-D600, and all of them cost between 500 and 800 dollars where I live, so, twice as much as the iPhone when it was new.  M1DAC was the only one compared to the 4S in blind tests purely as DAC's,  feeding the Musical Fidelity M1HPAP amp and using Beyerdynamic T1 headphones. Not to mention the M1DAC and M1HPAP were connected using pretty expensive interconnects, and the iPhone was connected with a cheap generic no-name 3.5mm to RCA cable. Always playing lossless files,  always volume matched at 1000 hz down to 0,1 db.  I know some people find that hard to accept, but as I said, I felt the same, until several people whose opinions I respect, and who have far more experience in hi-fi than I do, felt the same way.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #798 of 3,701
  Is the DT1770 worth the $600 price? Is it a lot better than the DT 770?

It's superior to a DT770 250 ohm, I can tell you that, even out of a far less than ideal source. I still want to hear them out of my home setup so I'll see if I can get a hand on a pair, but in the store I felt they were clearly in a different league to the 770's. And the build quality and feel in the hand is just in a completely different league, DT770's, despite being tanks in terms of durability, feel hilariously cheap in comparison. 1770's feel really premium and expensive.

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #803 of 3,701
CAn anyone compare the Custom One Pro to the DT1770?  Im about to pull the trigger and get the DT1770.
Or sholud I just pay $200 extra and get the T1?

I may get some boos for this but the COP is the second worst headphone I have had. Flabby and loose bass, grainy sound. I can't stand it.

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #804 of 3,701
I may get some boos for this but the COP is the second worst headphone I have had. Flabby and loose bass, grainy sound. I can't stand it.

That makes me curious, which was the worst ever then?

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #807 of 3,701
  CAn anyone compare the Custom One Pro to the DT1770?  Im about to pull the trigger and get the DT1770.
Or sholud I just pay $200 extra and get the T1?

If you know how, you could just buy DT1770 drivers and swap the drivers in your COP for those. I haven't contacted Beyerdynamic on how much those would cost, but I am assuming around $150 for both of them maybe.

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #808 of 3,701
  If you know how, you could just buy DT1770 drivers and swap the drivers in your COP for those. I haven't contacted Beyerdynamic on how much those would cost, but I am assuming around $150 for both of them maybe.

I would venture to say this would be a futile ghost-chasing effort. There is actually a lot that influences the sound of a headphone than just the driver, such as shape/size of the can and many things in it such as damping material, position, etc. I have heard from another thread about how somebody had installed the HD 650 drivers into an HD 580 (IIRC), and it made no distinguishable difference. Plus you would need the likes of a soldering iron. I'm not saying there's no possibility for this to yield good results, but it seems likely you would be creating new trouble by a need for more modding to make this work, and it would never sound the same as the 1770.

EDIT: from looking at your profile, seems you're quite an expert at modding. Which state do you live in, just in case we may be able to try some of your mods at a meet sometime?

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #809 of 3,701

I would venture to say this would be a futile ghost-chasing effort. There is actually a lot that influences the sound of a headphone than just the driver, such as shape/size of the can and many things in it such as damping material, position, etc. I have heard from another thread about how somebody had installed the HD 650 drivers into an HD 580 (IIRC), and it made no distinguishable difference. Plus you would need the likes of a soldering iron. I'm not saying there's no possibility for this to yield good results, but it seems likely you would be creating new trouble by a need for more modding to make this work, and it would never sound the same as the 1770.

EDIT: from looking at your profile, seems you're quite an expert at modding. Which state do you live in, just in case we may be able to try some of your mods at a meet sometime?

All very well and true, but if you had to choose on which housing to place either a closed or semi-closed then it would have to be the COP because of the variable bassports. Out of all the frequencies most effected by the housing bass is by far the most sensitive from my experience. Though, yes, there would of course be some soldering involved, it's not really all that hard (I'm biased though so what do I know XD ), and Beyerdynamic is by far the easiest user serviceable and modular (most of there headphones share similar part sizes and shapes) in existance (maybe other than AIAIAI). So if you do decide to go into modding headphones/headsets, then Beyerdynamic is the best.

I currently live in California. And I wouldn't really consider myself an expert per say. I just had quite a let of time and money on my hands at the time, and decided that I'd get into modding headphones since I became so interested in audio. Pair that with me being a very fast learner with quite a bit creativity. Then fast forward into the present, I'm now nearly broke, living with my grandmather, and regret nothing. I'm going to pursue my dream of building and designing headphones no matter the cost. Not sure where to start though, or who to approach with all of my ideas quite yet. Most of the stuff (and ideas still in my head) I work on are Beyerdynamic headphones, but I'm not even sure if Beyerdynamic even does do partnerships with anyone. Especially, if I'm some random guy who hasn't even finished college in their eyes while they are the professionals. No matter how good my ideas maybe they wouldn't care. I just need a door to open for me somehow. So, I've been thinking about heading to CanJam SoCal next year. I could maybe get my headphones properly measured there, and maybe I could get the attention on those in the community. I just wish I had some more support, but I'll only be going with my family who aren't well versed in audio. If you do go there, then I would absolutely be happy to let you try out some of my mods. Any feedback is always appreciated no matter the nature of it.

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #810 of 3,701
Well we do have a Beyer. insider who occasionally follows this thread which you could contact sometime. Also there are several people here who measure headphones and send them back, and just about ALL of us Head-Fi'ers would be willing to try / review your headphones through the mail 
L3000.gif
. I'm not sure who does the measurements but some of the more experienced members would have a better idea, or the admins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back