Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 8, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #736 of 3,701
@derbigpr
 perhaps your iphone could sound as good as a $2K desktop rig, if it's damaged / dubious quality or if the headphones are bad.

That really is a good idea that Beyer would send out a demo-unit of the 1770 that some Head-Fi-er's can test out, for maybe a few days each. If anybody knows the username of a Beyerdynamic representative, go ahead and post it here so we can know who to send this request to.

I find it strange how a 2k setup is considered a standard, but when people talk about an iPhone they suddenly forget it costs 1k...
Not saying an iPhone is equally good to a 1k dedicated headphone amp, just saying its a bloody expensive piece of kit.

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #737 of 3,701
On the subject of amplification, I am considering either the pioneer XPA-700 or the Sony PHA-3 to match with my new DT1770s. However, since I'll be using it at work, I'm open to alternative portable DAC/amps as well as small desktop DAC/amps, maybe even tube driven DAC/amps (as long as they are compact and allow the use of an iPhone as source). So feel free to come with suggestions (budget is up to 1000usd or thereabouts).
I like the details the DT1770 give, don't want to loose them, but a hint of extra mid and a touch of warmth would be nice.
I read elsewhere on this website that the pioneer is a bit warmer than many other amps?
Anyway, I'm open to suggestions.

Note: I live in China with extremely limited testing opportunities, so it's likely I need to buy blind (deaf), so id like to focus my choice as much as possible.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #738 of 3,701
Maybe you can consider the IFI IDSD micro it does have a hint of extra mid and a touch of warmth as well since it uses a BB chip not SABRE. It does PCM as well.

http://ifi-audio.com.cn/products/micro/

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #739 of 3,701
  The Z

The Z7 is a bass lovers wet dream. ... I just don't know about all this Metal stuff, I don't have that.

Hope this helps.

ph34r.gif

Hi, thank you for the detailed answer. I'm listening a large variety of music - matal, alternative, trip-hop, industrial, jazz - primerily jazz trios, some famale singers etc., dark ambient, classical. I love bass but i'm not a basshead. I love my DT880, but sometime miss a little more body and a little bit darkness, may be DT1770 will be the right direction. The Z7 are tempting, but I'm not sure about them, I don't like MDR-1R, I hope Z7 is different beast. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #740 of 3,701
  Hi, thank you for the detailed answer. I'm listening a large variety of music - matal, alternative, trip-hop, industrial, jazz - primerily jazz trios, some famale singers etc., dark ambient, classical. I love bass but i'm not a basshead. I love my DT880, but sometime miss a little more body and a little bit darkness, may be DT1770 will be the right direction. The Z7 are tempting, but I'm not sure about them, I don't like MDR-1R, I hope Z7 is different beast. 

Take a look on the Fostex TH600, much better than Z7.

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #741 of 3,701
Take a look on the Fostex TH600, much better than Z7.

Could you please enlighten us a bit and explain that rather short statement? I cannot comment on the Fostex, because I do not own it nor did I ever listen to it.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #742 of 3,701
Could you please enlighten us a bit and explain that rather short statement? I cannot comment on the Fostex, because I do not own it nor did I ever listen to it.

ATM i have here the Fostex TH600, also i have T1 1st, Denon AH-D2000. The Z7 i tested was to much in bass, something that i could not listen for longer then 5 min. The Fostex TH600, makes a lot more fun. Dynamic wise, Bass is rich, but controlled, not like the z7, where all is bass. TH600 is a good compromise so take a look. Thats behind my short statement. Hifi or sound is so personal, so i wrote only that short.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #743 of 3,701
1770 is excellent (though don't make the mistake of using it with HA2 on low gain like I did ). Strong base and treble but pretty balanced and good open quality for a closed headphone. Nice job Beyer

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #744 of 3,701

Great, then My questions are:

1. Will DT1770PRO's earpads (these are very high quality!) velour or P leather, be available as replacement parts? if yes, can you say when?
2. Can I use Mini-XLR cables for AKG 240/702 in the aftermarket for DT1770PRO?
3. I think you will refuse to answer this question :wink:  but, Do you guys have a plan for open back version of DT1770?

Thanks in advance.

Here is the answers:
1. Yes, in approx. 1 month.
2. Yes, they have the same pin assignment and mini XLR connection should fit as they have a standard size.
3. A plan? העתיד הוא מה שקורה בזמן שאנחנו עסוקים בלתכנן

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #746 of 3,701
Up until recently, I've been happy with my ancient Sennheiser HD 540's, but now that my kidneys are failing, I spend every night hooked up to a dialysis machine, and the noise it makes (a compressor whirr similar to a loudish refridgerator, as well as some pneumatic huffing and puffing) disturbs my listening. Thus, I'm considering getting some closed headphones. I really wanted to like the DT-660's, but while they sound nice enough for most of the music I prefer, they just don't fit my (apparently small) head very well. The Custom One's fit better, but I didn't like the sound as much. I have easy access to try some DT-770's, but haven't listened them yet. I do know that the size and shape of the T1 and T90 fit me, so I think the DT-1770 would fit, and based on this thread, the isolation and sound might be just what I'm looking for.

I mostly (but not exclusively) listen to smaller scale classical material, predominatly vocal.

So my question is:
DT-770? Here the plus-point is that they are inexpensive.
DT-1770? Could be just what I need, but difficult to find a pair to try around here...
Fostex TH-600? Same price as the 1770's.
Something else?
Attenuation must be good, as must long-term comfort.
My amp is a Teac HA-501, which should be capable of driving practically anything.

User "Plakat": You have (or have had) all the headphones I mention above - care to share your ideas, please?

Thank you!

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #747 of 3,701
Up until recently, I've been happy with my ancient Sennheiser HD 540's, but now that my kidneys are failing, I spend every night hooked up to a dialysis machine, and the noise it makes (a compressor whirr similar to a loudish refridgerator, as well as some pneumatic huffing and puffing) disturbs my listening. Thus, I'm considering getting some closed headphones. I really wanted to like the DT-660's, but while they sound nice enough for most of the music I prefer, they just don't fit my (apparently small) head very well. The Custom One's fit better, but I didn't like the sound as much. I have easy access to try some DT-770's, but haven't listened them yet. I do know that the size and shape of the T1 and T90 fit me, so I think the DT-1770 would fit, and based on this thread, the isolation and sound might be just what I'm looking for.

I mostly (but not exclusively) listen to smaller scale classical material, predominatly vocal.

So my question is:
DT-770? Here the plus-point is that they are inexpensive.
DT-1770? Could be just what I need, but difficult to find a pair to try around here...
Fostex TH-600? Same price as the 1770's.
Something else?
Attenuation must be good, as must long-term comfort.
My amp is a Teac HA-501, which should be capable of driving practically anything.

User "Plakat": You have (or have had) all the headphones I mention above - care to share your ideas, please?

Thank you!

Sorry to hear about your kidneys.

Take the TH-600s off of your list... no real good isolation.
The DT closed-back series are pretty good with noise isolation BUT I would actually recommend something like the Alpha Dogs --> https://mrspeakers.com/shop/1-headphones/alpha-dog-headphone/

Good sounding, comfortable, probably the best passive isolation I've tried and no leaks. Does well with classical and vocals... it actually does well with almost anything you throw at it. Sound does take a bit to get used to but once you do, you'll probably like them. Also, you could probably find these cheaper on the "For Sale" boards here.

Good luck.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #748 of 3,701
  Here is the answers:
1. Yes, in approx. 1 month.
2. Yes, they have the same pin assignment and mini XLR connection should fit as they have a standard size.
3. A plan? העתיד הוא מה שקורה בזמן שאנחנו עסוקים בלתכנן

Thank you very much hanselmann
I've just ordered 1.5m mini-XLR cable for desktop use.
And please remember you have already a potential buyer of DT1990PRO, open back tesla 2.0 monitoring headphone. (can someone translate this to Hebrew?)

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #749 of 3,701

Thank you very much hanselmann
I've just ordered 1.5m mini-XLR cable for desktop use.
And please remember you have already a potential buyer of DT1990PRO, open back tesla 2.0 monitoring headphone. (can someone translate this to Hebrew?)

אין בעיה! אני מדבר אנגלית, מדי.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back