Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jul 11, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #2,896 of 3,701
I certainly shall. I tried them on when I got home from work, but, was hungry so made dinner and chilling out right now. Will start using them tomorrow. Anyway, my first impression is very good, however, you are correct, they cost too much. They are very thick and soft, so, I am guessing they will do a better job of isolation. If not, at least they are more comfortable. And look really nice too. :)

Oh, BTW, I had to install them differently than the stock pads. Instead of finding the notch and sort of screwing them on, I took the braces off, put the pads on the braces, then snapped them in place. Worked really well. The real sheepskin on the pads is softer and more pliable.

I just reread the Dekoni pads description, and I realize now the velour is not actually just internal but it's actually the part that touches your face too, while the sheepskin is just on the diameter of the pads. I thought it was just in the "donut hole" (inner diameter) of the pads, but it's more than that. So your observations will be helpful for sure as this is quite unusual IMO! lol

Jul 11, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #2,897 of 3,701
Ok cool, thanks Squonk!! I look forward to your follow-up.

Yeah but if they make the experience better that can't be ignored either. Yeah I had used the non-angled Brainwavz sheepskin oval-shaped ones for my former Meze 99 Classics, and they were incredible too! Very buttery soft. lol

Yeah for sure, b/c the outside is sheepskin leather (vs. velour), they will definitely isolate well like the stock leatherette ones do. And for sure additional comfort is a guarantee. The ones I had were memory foam on the inside. The Dekoni description says the internal velour will make them more neutral, but I'm wondering by how much (see #3 below)? If it does lower the bass a bit, that's fine with me as I Custom EQ my headphones and can simply just use one of my EQs with a notch more bass in it. I'm finding my custom EQs (or what I call my "Magic EQs" lol) apply perfectly to the 1770s, sounding even better to me than using no EQ or the "Rock" preset on Poweramp. I've noted this occurring on several other headphones recently too.

Things to please note when comparing to stock leatherette ones: 1) Depth (more, less, or same distance from ears to Tesla 2.0 drivers?) 2) How much more comfortable are they vs. stock (I'm guessing a lot not just b/c of outside but b/c of velour inside as well. I think stock is just memory foam on the inside, right?) 3) Did the sound change, esp the bass??

Those would be the best things to know. I'm sure everyone here is wondering basically the same things.
Could you please post your EQ settings for the DT-1770s? I would love to try them.

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #2,898 of 3,701
Could you please post your EQ settings for the DT-1770s? I would love to try them.

Hi kombucha,

Sure. Actually, I already have. In my post that you're referring to, where I say "Custom EQ my headphones", you'll notice it's hyperlinked. That will take you to my P7 review where I have my custom EQs all listed (or just click here). There's the main one (P7), a bass xtra and a bass xtra+ one, a bass train one (SUPER high bass to combat train/plane noise when u don't have noise-cancelling since bass is the first thing to go vs. all that outside noise), and a bass lite one that I tend to use on more bassy acoustic tracks. Of course, if I keep the DT 1770s, I will rename these all to Beyer or DT 1770.

So far on the DT 1770 (using the leatherette pads) I've been using mainly bass xtra on the rock songs (sometimes xtra+). I prob have used the lite one the least so far. The goal is to evaluate the bass levels on a track or album you're listening to, and then choose from there, so to get the VERY BEST sound EVERY time, not just some of the time.

If using different pads (i.e. the velour ones, or the Dekoni ones), then you may need more or less bass. Just listen and adjust! :L3000:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Note: You'll notice I dipped the pre-amp EQ band down a bit. Feel free to leave that at 0 if you wish. I'm still deciding if it's as necessary on the DT 1770 (prob not) as it was on other headphones in the past.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #2,899 of 3,701
Hi kombucha,

Sure. Actually, I already have. In my post that you're referring to, where I say "Custom EQ my headphones", you'll notice it's hyperlinked. That will take you to my P7 review where I have my custom EQs all listed (or just click here). There's the main one (P7), a bass xtra and a bass xtra+ one, a bass train one (SUPER high bass to combat train/plane noise when u don't have noise-cancelling since bass is the first thing to go vs. all that outside noise), and a bass lite one that I tend to use on more bassy acoustic tracks. Of course, if I keep the DT 1770s, I will rename these all to Beyer or DT 1770.

So far on the DT 1770 (using the leatherette pads) I've been using mainly bass xtra on the rock songs (sometimes xtra+). I prob have used the lite one the least so far. The goal is to evaluate the bass levels on a track or album you're listening to, and then choose from there, so to get the VERY BEST sound EVERY time, not just some of the time.

If using different pads (i.e. the velour ones, or the Dekoni ones), then you may need more or less bass. Just listen and adjust! :L3000:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Note: You'll notice I dipped the pre-amp EQ band down a bit. Feel free to leave that at 0 if you wish. I'm still deciding if it's as necessary on the DT 1770 (prob not) as it was on other headphones in the past.

I saw those, but thought they were for the P7. Are you using the same EQ for different headphones?

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #2,900 of 3,701
I saw those, but thought they were for the P7. Are you using the same EQ for different headphones?

Oh I see. Sorry about the confusion. Yes I am.........the P7 EQs in that link are the EXACT same ones I'm currently using to audition my DT 1770s.

Since creating them, I've noted that my "Magic EQs" have been the best option over several of the last headphones I've tried out, with exception to the ones I'm currently comparing the DT 1770s against.........the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2s (by they use a spe. They appear to sound best with the "Rock" preset. But all the following sounded best with my EQs: Meze 99 Classics, Sennheiser HD1 Over-Ear (aka EXACT same sound signature as Momentum 2.0 Over-Ear headphones), Sony MDR-1ADAC, Bowers & Wilkins P7 (wired), and of course the DT 1770s. IMO it simply enables the DT 1770s to open up and come alive.

No EQ to me usually makes for a more "lifeless" sound, and "Rock" is great in the car but on headphones it tends to be TOO strong in both the bass and treble regions. So using "Rock" as a template, I created (with some help from 2 ppl on Head-Fi) my Magic EQs and now as a result I enjoy listening to my headphones FAR more than I ever did even a year ago. I welcome you and everyone to try them out and let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #2,901 of 3,701
Oh I see. Sorry about the confusion. Yes I am.........the P7 EQs in that link are the EXACT same ones I'm currently using to audition my DT 1770s.

Since creating them, I've noted that my "Magic EQs" have been the best option over several of the last headphones I've tried out, with exception to the ones I'm currently comparing the DT 1770s against.........the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2s (by they use a spe. They appear to sound best with the "Rock" preset. But all the following sounded best with my EQs: Meze 99 Classics, Sennheiser HD1 Over-Ear (aka EXACT same sound signature as Momentum 2.0 Over-Ear headphones), Sony MDR-1ADAC, Bowers & Wilkins P7 (wired), and of course the DT 1770s. IMO it simply enables the DT 1770s to open up and come alive.

No EQ to me usually makes for a more "lifeless" sound, and "Rock" is great in the car but on headphones it tends to be TOO strong in both the bass and treble regions. So using "Rock" as a template, I created (with some help from 2 ppl on Head-Fi) my Magic EQs and now as a result I enjoy listening to my headphones FAR more than I ever did even a year ago. I welcome you and everyone to try them out and let me know what you think!

I will give them a try but in my experience an EQ setting that sounds great on one pair of headphones can sound awful on another due to the differences in sound signatures inherent to different models. I will post some of my DT-1770 specific ones when I get them off the old computer.

I do agree that if there are headphones out there which do not benefit from some modest EQing, I haven't had the pleasure of listening through them yet.

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #2,902 of 3,701
I will give them a try but in my experience an EQ setting that sounds great on one pair of headphones can sound awful on another due to the differences in sound signatures inherent to different models. I will post some of my DT-1770 specific ones when I get them off the old computer.

I do agree that if there are headphones out there which do not benefit from some modest EQing, I haven't had the pleasure of listening through them yet.

Ok sounds good. And please let me know what you think too!

No I know what you mean. That's why with each noted success (vs. No Eq and "Rock"), I kept finding myself more and more shocked! Each headphone would sound best if you custom EQ'd them individually, but in reality, even most (or many) audiophiles won't go that far, b/c it requires patience and a strong knowledge of EQ'ing. And definitely most non-audiophiles won't do that..........at most, they would just use presets like I did ("Rock" lol) for YEARS. But to me, the "Magic EQ" sounds so good that I have trouble imagining it sounding any better on the ones where it works. The MJ2s use a special type of electrostatic driver vs. dynamic drivers like the DT 1770s and the other ones I mentioned do, though I don't know if that's why "Rock" sounded better on them or if it was simply just that they had a drastically different sound signature?

Ok that would be cool. Only thing that sux with Poweramp is that they don't use parametric EQs (or EQs with the numbers displayed), so you have to go by sight, which makes it very hard to use on other apps. I'm hoping one day they start using them, but the devs of Poweramp are lazy a$$ idiots who somehow created the greatest music app ever. lol They just are taking F'ING FOREVER to update it, and keep lying about when the next official version will be released. So I may have trouble using yours unless I use another app, which I refuse to do. Hopefully not.

Oh God, I wish! Are there even any that don't benefit from EQ'ing that are UNDER $1000?!! lol But my other big problem with no EQ'ing is once again the bass issue. Sorry but, the bass level on one song or album isn't in reality always the same as the others in one's catalog. When I listen to acoustic rock tracks, I tend to use the main EQ or even lite. Though not always. But on heavier rock tracks, I would never use those b/c then it sounds weak. Fortunately, using bass xtra or xtra+ on something as incredible as the DT 1770 means I DON'T have to worry about the bass bleeding over into the mids and highs. So for me, I don't think I could ever go with No EQ or just ONE EQ for everything. All it takes is a bit too little or too much bass for a song to be not so much ruined, but "lessened".

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #2,903 of 3,701
After a week of comparing these to the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2s, I decided to go with the Beyers! The MJ2s are also incredible. Both were the most expensive headphones I've auditioned in-home yet, and both are worth their weight in GOLD! But even though I loved the engaging sound of the MJ2s, I felt the 1770 was also quite engaging and fun, but it also had a fantastic soundstage as well. Not TOO wide, but wider than the MJ2's.

Of course, I could get upgraded ear pads for the MJ2s, but then that would kill another strong point they have going that the Beyers don't........extra portability. The MJ2s fold in and come with a pretty compact egg-shaped box. From what I've read, these upgraded pads make it impossible to fold the MJ2s in, which negates their portability factor. I will admit that the MJ2s over time didn't seem as uncomfortable with the stock pads as I originally perceived, but I still wanted a bit more space and more soundstage (which of course results in better instrument separation). So the 1770s just made more sense.

My final take on these two is..........if portability is a big deal for you, you can't go wrong with the MJ2s. Like the DT-1770s, they are crystal clear and VERY detail-revealing! But if you don't mind a bigger headphone (but still portable, IMO), I feel you get the very best sound from the 1770s. The Tesla 2.0 drivers are great and can get pretty loud despite the 250-ohm impedance rating. The MJ2's special brand of electrostatic drivers are fantastic too!

A few notes: With regards to the Beyers, I decided to get the shorter 4' replacement cable off Amazon as I felt 10' was way too long on the stock one. It will come in today. With regards to the ear pads, I've now ordered not one but TWO different replacement ear pads! I will evaluate both and then post my thoughts next week. The first one is the one mentioned earlier here, the hybrid inner velour/outer sheepskin leather Dekoni pads, and then I found out that Dekoni also has an ALL sheepskin leather ear pad for all the Beyers headphones too, so ordered that as well. I should have both by Monday or sooner.

**UPDATE: I went with the Dekoni sheepskin leather ear pads.**

Thanks to everyone hear who offered info or opinions on these killer headphones!! Much appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #2,904 of 3,701
Well, my DT-1770s really came alive with my newly acquired Schiit Lyr2. I'd been using them with the Schiit Magni 3 and they always sounded kind of flat. I got decent clarity and bass, but something was missing. I debated on an OTL amp (Valhalla 2 or Project Sunrise III) just to see if the 1770s would wake up. The only thing that stopped me was my collection of Grados and mods at 32ohms. So when a Lyr2 came available at an affordable price I jumped. The bass isn't really any louder, just more controlled. Sound stage increased in width, with mids pushed slightly forward increasing the overall balance. Vocals are now where I want them. Treble still has some Beyer sparkle, but ever so slightly softened. Very nice. They have come very close to rivaling my Grado RS2es for mids clarity and detail. I should say though, the Lyr 2 gets frigging hot!

@RockStar2005 Look forward to you impressions of the Dekoni pads.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #2,905 of 3,701
Well, my DT-1770s really came alive with my newly acquired Schiit Lyr2. I'd been using them with the Schiit Magni 3 and they always sounded kind of flat. I got decent clarity and bass, but something was missing. I debated on an OTL amp (Valhalla 2 or Project Sunrise III) just to see if the 1770s would wake up. The only thing that stopped me was my collection of Grados and mods at 32ohms. So when a Lyr2 came available at an affordable price I jumped. The bass isn't really any louder, just more controlled. Sound stage increased in width, with mids pushed slightly forward increasing the overall balance. Vocals are now where I want the. Treble still has some Beyer sparkle, but ever so slightly softened. Very nice. They have come very close to rivaling my Grado RS2es for mids clarity and detail. I should say though, the Lyr 2 gets frigging hot!

That's awesome! Yeah Schiit is a great brand too.

Yes I will report back next week. My guess is the full leather ones will sound better, but I'll be open to the velour/leather hybrid ones too b/c they are lined with the leather on the outside, so that great isolation (and therefore awesome bass) will still be there most likely. So it could go either way. We shall see!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #2,906 of 3,701
Well, my DT-1770s really came alive with my newly acquired Schiit Lyr2. I'd been using them with the Schiit Magni 3 and they always sounded kind of flat. I got decent clarity and bass, but something was missing. I debated on an OTL amp (Valhalla 2 or Project Sunrise III) just to see if the 1770s would wake up. The only thing that stopped me was my collection of Grados and mods at 32ohms. So when a Lyr2 came available at an affordable price I jumped. The bass isn't really any louder, just more controlled. Sound stage increased in width, with mids pushed slightly forward increasing the overall balance. Vocals are now where I want them. Treble still has some Beyer sparkle, but ever so slightly softened. Very nice. They have come very close to rivaling my Grado RS2es for mids clarity and detail. I should say though, the Lyr 2 gets frigging hot!

Trust me, go for the OTL, just my cheap little Darkvoice 336SE (tubes have been rolled) runs circles around my CTH when it comes to the 1770s. The bass... my god the bass!

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #2,907 of 3,701
**UPDATE: I ended up going with the Dekoni Audio Elite Sheepskin Leather Ear Pads for Beyerdynamic DT Series Headphones. Better isolation, which results in better bass too. And definitely more comfortable than the stock leatherette pads as well.**

The Dekoni hybrid velour/sheepskin pads were also very comfortable, but lacked the isolation of the sheepskin ones, which meant the bass also wasn't as good. So I am returning them.

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #2,908 of 3,701
Hey all. Just got these as well second hand. My go to closed cans were the Frankenstein Beyer Custom Studios. I've been listening them all day yesterday and frankly I don't hear a huge difference besides the CS having less of a treble spike which I prefer. Do these scale with DACs? My setup for testing is Fiio E10k line out -> Schiit 2 non-uber amp. I also tried my LG V20 as the DAC to the Schiit 2 and didn't hear a huge difference.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #2,909 of 3,701
They like power and tubes, to sound their best.

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #2,910 of 3,701
**UPDATE: I ended up going with the Dekoni Audio Elite Sheepskin Leather Ear Pads for Beyerdynamic DT Series Headphones. Better isolation, which results in better bass too. And definitely more comfortable than the stock leatherette pads as well.**

The Dekoni hybrid velour/sheepskin pads were also very comfortable, but lacked the isolation of the sheepskin ones, which meant the bass also wasn't as good. So I am returning them.

How did the Dekoni hybrids affect the mids & treble? I ask because I'm interested in the velour part and not needing a boost in bass over stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back