Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Mar 23, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #2,866 of 3,701
Scarfacegt - Thanks for your post! I have been thinking about buying the Elears, for a while now, but I think I will just stick with my DT 1170's :dt880smile:

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #2,867 of 3,701
I wish all of you DT 1770 fans, could hear them, with a Valhalla 2 and some 2c51 WE396A tubes! I don't think they could sound any better.

Apr 29, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #2,869 of 3,701
Hello!
I have one question about these headphones. Did anyone of you try to hear them with a Pioneer A-10 or A-20,30... ? Or even any other speakers amplifier? How do they sound?
I want to buy them but I only have this amplifier + DAC, which is made for speakers basically.
Thanks!

PD: please, excuse my bad English

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #2,870 of 3,701
I haven't heard these closed backs yet but I have heard ED8 and TH900. How do these compare to these strictly for portable out and about use?

May 4, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #2,871 of 3,701
I haven't heard these closed backs yet but I have heard ED8 and TH900. How do these compare to these strictly for portable out and about use?
The DT1770's are perfect for portable use. Great isolation from the outside world, and not a great deal of leakage either. I think they're perfect for out-and-about.

May 4, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #2,872 of 3,701
The DT1770's are perfect for portable use. Great isolation from the outside world, and not a great deal of leakage either. I think they're perfect for out-and-about.
They are a bit heavy for portable use. . .

May 4, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #2,873 of 3,701
They are a bit heavy for portable use. . .
They're only 60g heavier than B&W P7W's. For my uses, the DT1700's aren't heavy at all. But everyone's different.

May 4, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #2,874 of 3,701
May 4, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #2,875 of 3,701
They could be the best portable headphones out there, if you can feed them some power. However, I doubt they will sound as good as they do on a desktop rig, with a lot of power (tube amp).

May 4, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #2,876 of 3,701
They could be the best portable headphones out there, if you can feed them some power. However, I doubt they will sound as good as they do on a desktop rig, with a lot of power (tube amp).
I use a Chord Hugo portable DAC/Headphone amp with the 1770’s. They work perfectly together.

May 5, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #2,877 of 3,701
So I decided to buy the DT 770 and DT 1770 at the same time to compare. I wound up deciding to keep the DT 1770, the due to the DT 770 having a harsh sounding treble peak.
Being both studio head phones for professional use...I really can't imagine any professional wanted such "V" shaped sound. Is the whole "Pro" thing just clever marketing bait?

At first I was worried about the DT 1770, they weren't very comfortable at first, the clamping pressure is initially very tight, so tight that I couldn't wear them for long periods of time, and they kinda hurt with the leather pads. They reminded me of the Bowers & Wilkins P9, but not as heavy. For the first several days I could only wear the velour pads.
I had to stretch out the head band almost straight while slightly twisting it left and right the first 3 or 4 times I put them on. Eventually I was able to loosen the clamping force and now I can wear them with the leather pads without issues. They are still on the heavy side but bearable.
Speaking of the B&W P9, the initial sound signature sounds like these. There's this mid bass hump that muddies some recordings and is very fatiguing. I know some don't believe in burn in, but for me it made a difference. I use the burn in noise mp3 from Tara Labs it uses white noise with frequency tone bursts and pink noise mixed at different levels and descending and ascending (cascading) multi-octave square sweeps. After 5 hours of this plus regular music mixed in between, that mid bass hump has smoothed down to a warm mid bass sound. They now sounds like the T5p gen2 with a strong bass boost.
I listen with 3 sources my Bluesound Node 2-> Beyerdynamic A2 amp (w/100 ohm output) and PC-> Schiit Jotunheim Multibit (high gain). And surprisingly my LG V20 which do support up 600 ohm headphones. Whats weird is that the DT 770 being only 80ohm actually require more power than the DT 1770, I really had to crank the volume up on the 770 to match the volumes. But its good that the DT 1770 are easier to drive.
I think the DT 1770 sounds with best electronic music, New Age, and Synthwave, but there are some Jazz and orchestral recordings that needed a bit of an EQ since some details get buried under its weighty mid bass. For these I'll return to my Beyerdynamic T1 gen2 or T5p gen 2.
I'll post more as I gain more experience with them.

May 6, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #2,878 of 3,701
I use a Chord Hugo portable DAC/Headphone amp with the 1770’s. They work perfectly together.
This is good to know. Does the Hugo have a lot more power than necessary for this HP, or just enough?

Isolation is very important to me as you can listen at lower volumes. That's good for my old ears. Now need to preserve them as much as possible. And minimum leakage is a bonus for when in a quiet rooms with others.

My primary portable amp is the Black Label. It has ample power so I don't expect that to be a problem. Has anyone heard this HP with the BL?

May 6, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #2,879 of 3,701
This is good to know. Does the Hugo have a lot more power than necessary for this HP, or just enough?

Isolation is very important to me as you can listen at lower volumes. That's good for my old ears. Now need to preserve them as much as possible. And minimum leakage is a bonus for when in a quiet rooms with others.

My primary portable amp is the Black Label. It has ample power so I don't expect that to be a problem. Has anyone heard this HP with the BL?
The Hugo has ample power to drive the 1770’s. I think it’s a great mobile combo.

May 20, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #2,880 of 3,701
hi everyone
can someone help me with some info maybe ??

the situation is like this
i own dt770 for quite some time now, and i started to mod them
this is my current situation which i have briefly described in a thread - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-dt-series-comfort-strap-mod-and-dt770-sound-mod.879265/
i am posting this here because, the parts for which i am looking info, are fitted on newer beyers, and dt1770 / dt1990 are one of them

now, i i would be grateful if someone can help me with 2 questions:

1. is it possible to get the this fixing ring (https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/catalog/product/view/id/3929/) fitted on the dt770 ?
as far as i can see on the pictures from link (which don't help that much), it should be the same with the clips like the one on dt770, only to have extra lip for fixing earpads
if someone has both headphones, can you please try to do that ??
or at least post a picture of front and back side of the ring, so that i can at least compare from the picture with the ones that are on dt770
i would like to try it out because my ears touch the inside foam just a tiny bit, and that extra lip which that ring provides, could be enough to push the cup away from the head and my ears, and maybe my ears would not touch the inside foam

2. would this slider kit (https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/catalog/product/view/id/3978/) fit on the dt770 headband, or not ?
since i added leather strap to my beyers, i would aslo like to replace stock sliders, for some nicer ones
recently i had found the ones from the link, and i am quite interested in them, specially because they are new design with metal parts and metal ball, so it is for sure better and more durable / sturdy then the stock plastic adjuster (the part which is inside and clicks)
originally i planned to get dt880/990 premium sliders with metal fins, but they are same as current ones, all plastic with add on metal fins, so if i will buy new sliders, i might as well buy this new version from the link
as far as i can see, it should fit normally on the dt770 headband, unless if the newer headbands are different from the new ones
i guess that the metal headband is the same design across the dt range (except for the clap force), and that they only refined the sliders part
leather strap would be fitted to the new sliders of course, for me it's a must mod because the comfort is greatly improved with it

the store where i bought my beyers, is official seller for the brand in my country, and also near me, so i can order the parts from them if they don't have them in stock
i would just need the info for the fitment, before i order the parts
i would like to try this fixing ring and new sliders on my dt770, but would like to know if it fits before buying, so that i don't end up buying it just to find out that it does not fit...

that's all info i need i think
so if someone can help me, i would be grateful
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back