Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Nov 27, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #2,566 of 3,701
I will try to answer some of your questions, but hopes others will chime in. I don't have the 1770 anymore I replaced them with the 1990. For me the 1770 was a little bit too closed and lacked air. But I would not call them thin or dull and they are very good for rock/metal music. But for my taste the 1990 did the job slightly better.

The T5p.2 are thinner sounding than 1770 and 1990 but brighter, more detailed and bigger soundstage and more expensive....

If I had a limited budget and could only have one it would be the DT 1990.

The dp5 is very easy to drive you can literally drive it with a smartphone or a decent dap. 1770 and 1990 are also relative easy to drive. I use my mojo and my LG V10. It actually sound very good of my V10.

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #2,567 of 3,701
Thanks for answering my questions stenog i really appreciate that , it might be the problem of different taste but as i dont have the chance to audition them here in iran and no returning policies therefor it cause me lot of concerns about the wrong purchase
So you're saying that they are thicker sounding in term of mids compare to t5p?
As my best gear ever were the ie80s could you give me a comparison between these two for me to get the point better?(even percentagewise!)

Ps: the sound signiture i'm looking for is something musical with lush mids deep bass with good extention but not bleeding into mids in any cost and a smooth treble and a wide soundstage wich suits almost every genre of music speccially rock and metal and sometimes house

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #2,568 of 3,701
Thanks for answering my questions stenog i really appreciate that , it might be the problem of different taste but as i dont have the chance to audition them here in iran and no returning policies therefor it cause me lot of concerns about the wrong purchase
So you're saying that they are thicker sounding in term of mids compare to t5p?
As my best gear ever were the ie80s could you give me a comparison between these two for me to get the point better?(even percentagewise!)

Ps: the sound signiture i'm looking for is something musical with lush mids deep bass with good extention but not bleeding into mids in any cost and a smooth treble and a wide soundstage wich suits almost every genre of music speccially rock and metal and sometimes house

I've only had the t5p.2 for 3 days so take my advice with a grain of salt and read the different treads. It's difficult when you can't return or audition.

But according to your signature I do think the 1770 suits you more than the t5p. But one thing the 1770 do not have a big soundstage if that's is very important. It's a closed headphone I assume it's important for you that it is closed. 1990 is open and have a slightly bigger soundstage.

Difficult to compare ie80 to 1770. Apples and oranges really. But I personally prefer the 1770 over the ie80 if that make any sense! Ie80 had too recessed mids for my tastes.

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #2,569 of 3,701
stenog
Yeah i'm completely aware of the closeness of them and i can easily ignore the fact of not so big sound stage as i'm coming from iems

It's a shame that i only had exprience with something which is not comparable with hardly any other headphones

But it's good to know that you think the sound signiture will fit my needs

So again thanks for your time and comment:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #2,570 of 3,701

I can't comment to the synergy with the 1770 and any of the products that you mention, nut the sound signature you're describing sounds very close to the 1770 to me. I ALWAYS caution to take that with a grain of salt, everyone has a different idea of what "too much bass" (or too little)  sounds like. The treble can be a little hot at times.I find it not bad, bu I am not treble sensitive at all...I find the Beyer to excel with Rock, Metal and Dance. I only did a brief audition with the T5P-2 and @stenog sounds spot on to me. I don't have any A&K products, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't drive the Beyer...It likely wouldn't be the best you could do (with out a separate amp) but should sound OK...My Shanling M2 does a decent job with the 1770 on high gain.

I know how difficult it is to try to buy something without hearing it...especially at this price.

Good luck!

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #2,571 of 3,701
jinxy245
Thanks for your honest opinion and your time
So as you mentioned the sound we're hearing could be highly associated with the taste of sound we each have.
By far i'm encouraged that i'm picking the right headphones for my taste but also any furthur advises or tips on how the mids will sound compare to something like HD650 wich are famous for their lush mids could be really helpful to me

The reason i've became so confused is the shop guy statement which clearly mentioned these are not headphones for enjoying the music and may come dull to listen to after sometime
But i still believe in what you are saying cause you had the experience yourself
Anyhow it was a pleasure having your opinion!

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #2,572 of 3,701
Strange how noone answered me

It seems that nobody is intrested in this thread anymore:)

Today i went to my local Audio shop ( which as i forementioned is the only pro audio shop in the whole country) and they strongly recommended not to buy DT1770s cuase they may sound too dull and thin as they are pro not high end gears moreover there were no DT1770 for testing

So i'm completely left amused cause by far every review here is saying that they're bassy musical and mid lush headphones but those guys told a complete different story and suggessted buyin T5P 2nd gen

Could anyone comment on this pleaseeeee? I really don't know what to do as my budget is also very limited and i want to buy the best

Ps: they told me i can't drive them with ak300 properly which seemed weired to me! Also they mentioned that they are no more interested in importing astell & kern xb10 due to it's very disapointing sound production

IMHO, the difference in impressions is caused by impedance matching of the amp, if you use a high impedance amp, it will sound lush. If you pair it with a low impeance amp, it will sound thin and Hifi

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #2,573 of 3,701

Strange how noone answered me

It seems that nobody is intrested in this thread anymore:)

Today i went to my local Audio shop ( which as i forementioned is the only pro audio shop in the whole country) and they strongly recommended not to buy DT1770s cuase they may sound too dull and thin as they are pro not high end gears moreover there were no DT1770 for testing

So i'm completely left amused cause by far every review here is saying that they're bassy musical and mid lush headphones but those guys told a complete different story and suggessted buyin T5P 2nd gen

Could anyone comment on this pleaseeeee? I really don't know what to do as my budget is also very limited and i want to buy the best

Ps: they told me i can't drive them with ak300 properly which seemed weired to me! Also they mentioned that they are no more interested in importing astell & kern xb10 due to it's very disapointing sound production

IMHO, the difference in impressions is caused by impedance matching of the amp, if you use a high impedance amp, it will sound lush. If you pair it with a low impeance amp, it will sound thin and Hifi

It is often said that almost all beyerdyamic headphones with an impedance of, from 32ohm to, especially, 250ohm to 600ohm are at their ideal best performance when amped through beyerdynamic A20 amp with its 4ohm output impedance and a perfect match for great synergy. Some users may share more impressions here, perhaps.
http://www.headfonia.com/beyers-a20-amp-small-size-big-sound/

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #2,574 of 3,701
Subhakar
Thanks buddy for answering
But you see i'm not a big fan of station amps as i'm considering wearing these mostly on the go and sometimes at home
Also i'm really curious to compare these in terms of sound signiture with ie800 as it might be another option for me due to sound signiture people are describing from them

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #2,575 of 3,701
It is often said that almost all beyerdyamic headphones with an impedance of, from 32ohm to, especially, 250ohm to 600ohm are at their ideal best performance when amped through beyerdynamic A20 amp with its 4ohm output impedance and a perfect match for great synergy. Some users may share more impressions here, perhaps.
http://www.headfonia.com/beyers-a20-amp-small-size-big-sound/

They sound great through my nuforce ha200, with its 5 ohm output impedance, so maybe there's something to that.

But they also sound good through my Audeze deckard, but I agree, it's a little more lean, and the output impedance is closer to 0.

Interesting observations.

It's funny cause I usually like plugging stuff right into my macbook, I think it really makes the sound lush also, and that probably does have a higher output impedance too.

They also sound very nice through my fiio e10k.

Lol, idk they don't seem too picky with Amps when I think about it. Or maybe I just have good ones :) I don't like overly bright and thin sounding amps.

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #2,576 of 3,701
@Subhakar
Thanks buddy for answering
But you see i'm not a big fan of station amps as i'm considering wearing these mostly on the go and sometimes at home
Also i'm really curious to compare these in terms of sound signiture with ie800 as it might be another option for me due to sound signiture people are describing from them

If you like IE800,  you probably won't like Dt1770. They are totally different. DT1770 sounds like HD650 while IE800 is like DT880. IE800 has a strong V shape sound while DT1770 has a flat bass and mids, and roll off treble.

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2,577 of 3,701

If you like IE800,  you probably won't like Dt1770. They are totally different. DT1770 sounds like HD650 while IE800 is like DT880. IE800 has a strong V shape sound while DT1770 has a flat bass and mids, and roll off treble.

What? The dt1770 sounds nothing like the hd650. It should be closer in sound to the ie800 than an hd650 and its more "v shaped" than "neutral"

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #2,578 of 3,701
  What? The dt1770 sounds nothing like the hd650. It should be closer in sound to the ie800 than an hd650 and its more "v shaped" than "neutral"

Maybe my DT1770 is broken. It does not sound V shaped to me at all. i'm very sensitive to treble so i know when a headphone has abundant treble. DT1770 definitely does not sound V shaped to me. Just as a reference, i can't stand DT880, DT770, DT990, HD800, T5p, and T1. My unit has been burn in few hundred hours if that helps.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #2,579 of 3,701
  Maybe my DT1770 is broken. It does not sound V shaped to me at all. i'm very sensitive to treble so i know when a headphone has abundant treble. DT1770 definitely does not sound V shaped to me. Just as a reference, i can't stand DT880, DT770, DT990, HD800, T5p, and T1. My unit has been burn in few hundred hours if that helps.

They aren't broken. I don't really find them and especially not the DT 1990 v-shaped either. The only time I would call the DT 1770 v-shaped is on the pleathers, but not on the velours. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #2,580 of 3,701
  They aren't broken. I don't really find them and especially not the DT 1990 v-shaped either. The only time I would call the DT 1770 v-shaped is on the pleathers, but not on the velours. 

Which one is the best for EDM in your opinion? DT1770, DT1990 or T1.2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back