Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Nov 16, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #2,536 of 3,701
If you want a cheap experiment, I'd  recommend the AT MX 40x... for the price, I find them to be awesome...The 1770 is MUCH bassier to my ears, better sound stage, too but the AT has a descent slam, and cleaner than the 50x (IMO). Love hearing vocals with them, too. Apples & oranges I know...just thought I'd throw it out there

I heard a lot of people preferring the m40s over the m50s for having cleaner bass and a more present midrange so I can take your word for it. I have to try an m40 and a t50rp mod someday but it isn't a huge priority at the moment. Still think the brainwavz hm5 is pretty unbeatable for its price point and has a comparable soundstage to the dt1770 although their sound signatures vastly differ.

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #2,537 of 3,701
Just got DT1770 few days ago and i'm loving it! This was a real big surprise for me as i was not a big fan of beyer product. Before DT1770, the only beyer i like is the T51p. Everything else is painfully bright for me. I was also never a fan of DT770, DT880, DT990. DT770 was actually a disappointment for me. I know it's an inexpensive headphone but the only thing about it that impress me is the big soundstage. It was severely lacking in detail, control and way too bright.

I heard DT1770 multiple times before thought they sounded good but a bit bright. Now that i have them, i actually like them. I don't hear any brightness at all. I think my unit has been burned in and the treble has smoothed out. I owned the Nighthawks before this and i think DT1770 is like the Hawks but with more treble.

The headband is surprisingly very comfortable but the earpad is obviously not so. I don't know why Beyer still insists on making round earcups. I thought that was outdated when Sennheiser released HD650. The cable is a bit annoyingly springy. The build quality is excellent though! The housing barely vibrate even when played very loud!

Overall, i'm a beyer fan now! Still don't like T1 and T5p. but i like their new Amiron, DT1990 and this!

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #2,538 of 3,701
Just got DT1770 few days ago and i'm loving it! This was a real big surprise for me as i was not a big fan of beyer product. Before DT1770, the only beyer i like is the T51p. Everything else is painfully bright for me. I was also never a fan of DT770, DT880, DT990. DT770 was actually a disappointment for me. I know it's an inexpensive headphone but the only thing about it that impress me is the big soundstage. It was severely lacking in detail, control and way too bright.

I heard DT1770 multiple times before thought they sounded good but a bit bright. Now that i have them, i actually like them. I don't hear any brightness at all. I think my unit has been burned in and the treble has smoothed out. I owned the Nighthawks before this and i think DT1770 is like the Hawks but with more treble.

The headband is surprisingly very comfortable but the earpad is obviously not so. I don't know why Beyer still insists on making round earcups. I thought that was outdated when Sennheiser released HD650. The cable is a bit annoyingly springy. The build quality is excellent though! The housing barely vibrate even when played very loud!

Overall, i'm a beyer fan now! Still don't like T1 and T5p. but i like their new Amiron, DT1990 and this!

Please recommend the earpads if you find one that is more comfortable and does not affect the signature. :)

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #2,539 of 3,701

Please recommend the earpads if you find one that is more comfortable and does not affect the signature.
smily_headphones1.gif

Both earpads are very similar to me. The velour pads has slightly more treble and less bass and does not 'stick' to the skin as much so it's more comfortable. The difference is actually minute. As small as differences in USB cable.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #2,540 of 3,701

The cable can be stretched out to loosen out the spring factor. Just stretch the spring out a little bit.

I think the pads are quite comfortable. More so the velours, which uses a really soft velour fabric. The pads are very much linked to the sound signature so I don't think you will find a good replacement. (I tried old DT770 pads, and it changes the sound and it isn't as smooth in the treble),

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #2,541 of 3,701

Both earpads are very similar to me. The velour pads has slightly more treble and less bass and does not 'stick' to the skin as much so it's more comfortable. The difference is actually minute. As small as differences in USB cable.

I find I like BOTH the sound and comfort of the velour pads more on the DT1770.

The leather ones are more hot and sticky and they darken the treble too much for me.

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #2,542 of 3,701
  The T1's aren't super hard to drive, the problem is that impedance spike. They are easier to drive than the 600 ohm traditional Beyers volume wise. They aren't as hard to drive as say the old K240 Sextett, that thing is incredibly hard to drive. 

They do provide better SQ, better components, etc. They do, I found the DT 1770/1990 actually quite sensitive to system noise despite being 250 ohms.

With the same amp, i've only had trouble with 32 ohm /80 ohm (both closed) picking up a little system noise. However, an open 32 ohm, open 250ohm, does not pick up anything really (unless amp pushed beyond usual listening volumes , then hiss is present for me), perhaps because of the airy nature, which makes it seem so much better. The best can where i hear absolutely nothing is a dt100 (16 ohm) i dont know why.

So I would think closed anyway would provide more noticeable noise if there was any. I've never heard closed 250/600 variants nor any Tesla :frowning2:

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #2,543 of 3,701
Strange. The basic tube amp I own has a more musical effect on my DT 880 than it does on DT 1770. The increment in musicality is phenomenal on DT 880 with this tube amp while DT 1770, stunning as it is without, adds a little more of it with it. Perhaps, solid state amps make a better pair than tubes to Tesla headphones.

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #2,548 of 3,701
Hi, 

(IMHO) I finally solved the 1770 hollow mids problem. I was puzzled why the 1770 sounded so good at exhibition but sounds weird at home. In most places the 1770 is attached to the Beyer headphone amp which is usually set to output impedance of 100 Ohm. Those of you who have iDSD Micro at home, use the 1770 in Turbo mode, you will find that mids are fully fleshed - but at turbo you will face with right channel softer than left channel problem (which is iDSD Micro problem at low value). Now I am hunting for a portable with high output impedance at medium gain.

Track tested was Meat Loaf- You took the words right out of my mouth

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #2,549 of 3,701
So I assume that the Quality Control issues have been ironed out?

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #2,550 of 3,701
  Hi, 

(IMHO) I finally solved the 1770 hollow mids problem. I was puzzled why the 1770 sounded so good at exhibition but sounds weird at home. In most places the 1770 is attached to the Beyer headphone amp which is usually set to output impedance of 100 Ohm. Those of you who have iDSD Micro at home, use the 1770 in Turbo mode, you will find that mids are fully fleshed - but at turbo you will face with right channel softer than left channel problem (which is iDSD Micro problem at low value). Now I am hunting for a portable with high output impedance at medium gain.

Track tested was Meat Loaf- You took the words right out of my mouth

I agree. The mids aren't hollow when I connect them to RME Babyface headphone out that is certainly not as low as 4ohm or 2. And the mids are indeed a bit hollow when I connect them to Oppo HA-2 or FiiO E12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back