Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Nov 29, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #2,581 of 3,701
Now it gives DT1770, DT1990 but no DT1880 today?

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,584 of 3,701
Which one is the best for EDM in your opinion? DT1770, DT1990 or T1.2?

Owning both the the DT1770 and the DT1990, my personal preference lies with the DT1770 for EDM. The sub goes deeper, which is important for EDM.

That said I'd say that the DT1990 also makes a good stab at EDM, depending on the environment that you're listening in.

I'll qualify the above statement with my usage case:

I tend to use the DT1770s outside on the balcony where traffic noise, and other ambient noise is rife, and in that environment the bass is the first frequency range to get lost. As the DT 1770s are closed back they're ideal in this environment, but inside they can sound a bit bass heavy to my ears, where the DT1990s don't.

However, overall the DT1770 wins for EDM - for me that is. You'll need to make your own choices.

I'm now really tempted to try the pleather pads from the DT1770 on the DT1990 to see if that works well for EDM.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #2,585 of 3,701
Thanks for your input guys. I think DT1770 may be better for me but DT1990 looks so damn awesome. I love how the cup looks. Also the new Amiron (T90 successor) is another interesting headphone. I wonder how it compares but there's not many people who've heard it apparently.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,586 of 3,701
  Thanks for your input guys. I think DT1770 may be better for me but DT1990 looks so damn awesome. I love how the cup looks. Also the new Amiron (T90 successor) is another interesting headphone. I wonder how it compares but there's not many people who've heard it apparently.

The reason I like the DT 1990 more despite having a little less sub-bass than the DT 1770 is the better mids and soundstaging/imaging which also play a part in my preference of EDM. Honestly if the T1.2 was darker and a bit bassier it would be my personal favorite for EDM, though that may be fixed with a different amp.

Hi kman1211, what do you think about amount and impact of bass, especially sub-bass, which one is better? DT1770 or DT1990? Thanks

About the same overall, the DT 1770 has a bit more in the sub-bass.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #2,588 of 3,701
Dt1770 is great for Edm. You have to also remember that the dt1770 can be had cheaper than the 1990 now, since it's been out longer. The dt1990 is going to be more expensive.

I got the DT 1770 for 599€ last year and the DT 1990 for 530€ this year. Both from the same online dealer via Ebay. Only this year I could make an offer. and I made it and got it.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,589 of 3,701

I got the DT 1770 for 599€ last year and the DT 1990 for 530€ this year. Both from the same online dealer via Ebay. Only this year I could make an offer. and I made it and got it.

Which one do you prefer?

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #2,590 of 3,701
I really appreciate if anyone could clarify this ussue for me as my local audio shop assistant claims these are not fun headpgone to listen music with instead their are flat and boring for enjoying the music,as they are designed for studio mastering
But almost everyone here are assuring these have good bass extend and impact and nice detailed trebles
So i assume that the different opinions are due to different taste for music
But really who should i trust and beleive??
There is no turning back policies here and i'm left really confused
I had sennheise ie80 which was really detailed with good bass quantity but it had an issue with mid bass and upper bass which was affecting the midranges and made it an inappropate company for roch and metal music but i really enjoyed it for listening to my deep house library
Now i want something a tad bit more neutral not in a fashion that becomes boring but fun an also less v shaped (if that makes any sense?)
So what should i do i really don't have the oppurtunity to test it for myself!
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks in advance

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #2,591 of 3,701
I really appreciate if anyone could clarify this ussue for me as my local audio shop assistant claims these are not fun headpgone to listen music with instead their are flat and boring for enjoying the music,as they are designed for studio mastering
But almost everyone here are assuring these have good bass extend and impact and nice detailed trebles
So i assume that the different opinions are due to different taste for music
But really who should i trust and beleive??
There is no turning back policies here and i'm left really confused
I had sennheise ie80 which was really detailed with good bass quantity but it had an issue with mid bass and upper bass which was affecting the midranges and made it an inappropate company for roch and metal music but i really enjoyed it for listening to my deep house library
Now i want something a tad bit more neutral not in a fashion that becomes boring but fun an also less v shaped (if that makes any sense?)
So what should i do i really don't have the oppurtunity to test it for myself!
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks in advance

They are pretty neutral and I find the bass only "adequate" -- it extends deep and has good dynamic punch, but is true to the recording. They are most definitely not basshead 'phones. At the top end, they have the sort of clarity and detail that most Beyers have. That alone makes these enjoyable to listen to IMO, but I would not call these "fun" by any means. In fact, if a recording is particularly bad they'll make it sound distinctly not fun!

In fact, i'm thinking of moving on to something that is more fun sounding, and I'm curious if anyone's compared the 1770/1990 to the E-Mu Teak (or other E-Mu woodies). Obviously the E-Mu will have more bass, but I'm curious how the mids and highs stack up because I still really like the overall clarity and detail of the 1770s

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #2,592 of 3,701
They are pretty neutral and I find the bass only "adequate" -- it extends deep and has good dynamic punch, but is true to the recording. They are most definitely not basshead 'phones. At the top end, they have the sort of clarity and detail that most Beyers have. That alone makes these enjoyable to listen to IMO, but I would not call these "fun" by any means. In fact, if a recording is particularly bad they'll make it sound distinctly not fun!

In fact, i'm thinking of moving on to something that is more fun sounding, and I'm curious if anyone's compared the 1770/1990 to the E-Mu Teak (or other E-Mu woodies). Obviously the E-Mu will have more bass, but I'm curious how the mids and highs stack up because I still really like the overall clarity and detail of the 1770s

Thanks for your generous input
But as it's my first beyer product i dont have any picture of the sound signiture i've only auditioned HD650 which was offered to me in the shop and they said it's famous for it's lush mids and presentation so could you be more kind to compare two to each other if you had heard both?

My other question is about driving these,how do these sound paired with an iphone 6s ? And how much of the sound quality will i hear percentage wise?
Also if it's paired with a warm signiture dap like ak300 then how would they sound?any lusher mids?
Thanks in advance

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #2,593 of 3,701
Which one do you prefer?

To methe DT1990 is better in all regards. But the DT1770 Is very close. It is open vs closed can. And if you need a closed can, you are very well suited with the DT1770.

Dec 3, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #2,594 of 3,701
To methe DT1990 is better in all regards. But the DT1770 Is very close. It is open vs closed can. And if you need a closed can, you are very well suited with the DT1770.

I'm wondering if you could compare the sound signiture to what i'm familiar with like hd650? Or have you paired your's with any smartphone?if yes how does it sound compare to a dap like ak300 or similar daps?

Dec 3, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #2,595 of 3,701
I don't use smartphones for music listening. I use my Sony ZX1 Walkman. Compared to the HD650 out of this dap? The DT1770 sounds colder, has a more controlled bass and more treble details. And it requires less volume from the DAP. The DT1990 is similar to the DT1770, but more delicate and refined. The HD650 once put into use, is a hell of a headphone still. The sound is designed on purpose to grant you endless listening hours. And you can always level up his performance with better gear... the HD650 thread on HeadFi is endless...
In the end you have to listen to the cans yourself and decide. It is a matter of taste, your taste. And there is a lot more out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back