Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Jan 6, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #211 of 2,575
Hi DT150 users,

Would like to have your suggestions. I have read through all 14 pages, didn't see any serious discussion on this. I'm looking for an Amp or DAC/Amp combo (both are desktop) that can bring the potential of DT150. Here are the details.

Souce: MacBook, w/ USB and optical
Headphone: DT150 of course
Music: I listen to a bit of everything, including 70s 80s rock, electronica, classical. In CDs, DVDs, mp3.
Budget: <$300

From old posts, some suggested ibasso D10, E-MU 0404 USB and the Firestone FUBAR III.

1. What is your choice? My main concern is to have an Amp or DAC/Amp that can push the cans. Only MacBook isn't enough.
2. USB or Optical?

Cheers.

May 9, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #212 of 2,575
Hello DT150 Owners,

I have a keen interest in this Headphone, and am looking to move beyond my SONY XB700, and Recabled KOSS UR40 cans (my two Faves in my inventory for Cans)...

I find myself in the same situation as the previous poster, seeing no real mention of the following topics:

I find myself preferring the Darker, treble restricted sound, as mentioned with this phone. Also could someone please mention:

1) Matching with Tube Amps? and properties?? (I have an ELEKIT TU-882AS with GE5670W Tubes) is this a good pairing?
2) Matching to DACs? I currently "Just" Have an iBasso D10 Cobra for a DAC (due to my love of DAPs) and am just getting into Home listening... Is that Adequate? Would a DacMagic be OK in the future?
3) The SQ properties I would hope someone could chime in on: Bass Character; resolution, detail, depth, texture... compared to other phones?? Also Treble-To-Bass-proportion? Could someone define how or where the "weightedness" on the Treble/Mids/Bass spectrum these phones are?

Thank you all very much.

-Best

May 9, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #213 of 2,575
I can't really give any recommendations particularly about the tube amp, as I don't have one.

That said, I can say that my DT-150s are my current go-to headphones on pretty much every source I own.  They sound surprisingly good coming out of a portable media player, they sound like liquid gold on my custom SS desktop amp, sound fine from my cute beyond and my FUBAR III.

In terms of sound balance, that's what I really love about these cans.  There is really rich, deep bass.  At first, it was almost overwhelming, but it's calmed down and is pretty much flawless with everything (to my ears).  If there is a lot of bass in the track, it just keeps on giving, but if music is bass-light, it's never overwhelming.

I've heard the sucked out midrange of the DT990 Pro, and it's a bit frustrating.  The 150 has none of that, and actually has a pretty sweet midrange.  Vocals sound excellent, both male and female.

At the top, there is enough treble to have a bit of kick, but never enough to have the sibilance that some complain about with other pro Beyer cans.

To answer this, I've been listening to some of my favourite songs and listening really closely.  Again, my ears find these almost perfectly balanced, and they do every genre exactly the way I like to hear them.  If you are really bass shy, you might find these a bit too muscular in the bottom end.  They don't have the stunning midrange of the German Maestro 450, and I've heard cans that have a bit more high end shimmer, but these are truly incredible headphones that work for most music genres.  Some say that the 250s are a bit more accurate, but I haven't had a chance to hear them yet, and have no interest in that for the time being.  I can recommend the DT-150s with pretty much no real reservations.

My guess is, coming from the XB700, these will be like having your ears open up for the first time.  You won't miss the bit of bass you lose, and you will love the depth and detail.

May 9, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #214 of 2,575
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still around and on the 1st page. I'm the OP. Lost my password and had to re-register recently. Dang I kinda miss my DT150. Comfort was a real bitch tho. If only I had tried the Dt100 velour pads. Nonetheless great cans! Kinda dorky but hey what the hell. It's a pity I never really got a proper Home based amp and DAC for em so they never could shine properly. 

Heard them out of the Beyerdynamic A1. Amazing. But alas my mind is alil foggy. Its been years.

May 9, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #215 of 2,575
joelpearce,

Thank You for the Reply... That pretty much sold me...

I guess I've got something to pinch pennies for, as the XB700 havent 'shined' until hitting the Tube Amp.

I hadn't mentioned the recabled KOSS PRO4AA, which were unlistenable with a whimpier amp, which now sound decent yet are tooooooo BRIGHT for my tastes, yet are an interesting ride for some pieces of music.

Again, I LIKE BASS, so if These DT150 HAVE "The Bass" yet sound Balanced, I think I will be happy.

I've had a fun time reading this thread, and I hope to be contributing to it soon enough....

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #216 of 2,575
I just got my pair today, and these are absolutely awesome - my search for a closed circumaural can has now ended. I had previously lusted for a recabled Ultrasone HFI-780, but after 30 minutes on these I've now forgotten all about those.

First impressions, running them out of the Nuforce uDAC's HP out, playing FLACs of Iron Maiden, Blue Oyster Cult, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Al Di Meola, Testament and Behemoth (velour pads)

- no bass bloat typical of closed cans
- midrange is deliciously visceral
- ridiculously quick dynamics
- balance is just about perfect, performs all genres incredibly well
- high end extends quite nicely with no fatigue factor
- they're smaller than I thought they'd be
- top shelf build quality, these are built to withstand ragnarok
- just the right amount of clamping force, very comfortable
- the cord is insanely long (nitpicking here)
- They have a vinyl/analog-like sound sig, it feels like i'm listening to my cassette copy of Powerslave all over again

If I may make a bold statement, these wipe the floor with the other Beyers i've heard - the DT770 (80 and 250 ohms) and DT880 (600 ohms, fed by the Audio-GD C2C). Those sounded cloudy/murky compared to this.

I'm be in a state of eargasm now, Iron Maiden's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" on these is just glorious.

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #218 of 2,575

Quote:
^Congrats Azathoth :)

Where and how much is the DT150 in Singapore? I noticed Jaben don't have a pair listed, its bundled.

I just read it from another forum, Jaben does have it for US $280ish, BNIB.

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #221 of 2,575

Quote:
wow, just traded for a pair of these.  can't believe they don't get talked about more.  outstanding bass and i really like them for gaming.

That's why the few of us who have heard them keep pushing them so hard.  Enjoy them!

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #223 of 2,575
Really shocked at how great these are for gaming.  It's a tad early to tell, but I could see gaming with these and using my DT 880's for music.  Wow.  Think I've found the closed cans to keep. :)

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #224 of 2,575
I got these yesterday.  I was initially unimpressed with both the comfort and the sound, coming from my D5000s.  I even put up an ad in the F/S forum, but then closed it once I tried treble booster in iTunes.  The bass tightened up considerably, and everything is incredibly clean, but there's still a very respectable amount of punch to them.  Superb, non-fatiguing treble.  These are possibly the best headphones I've ever heard.  Yes, I did just say that.  The lovely sound comes at a price, though:  they're still extremely uncomfortable.  I'm hoping a couple days of stretching them over a box will help with that.  They certainly isolate very well.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #225 of 2,575
So... I'm about to order myself a pair of these, living in germany makes that a pretty simple affair. Question is: should I order the velour pads with them? 15€ isn't that much, assuming the DT100-pads fit. What do they really bring difference-wise? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back