Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
May 28, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #1,066 of 2,575
@toolio, being that the O2 amp is debatably inferior to the Magni, of which at least for me, leaves the DT 150 unlistenably dull and lifeless, I would recon the O2 amp would not be a good pairing for the DT 150. A tube amp or more powerful amp should probably have the potential to wake these babies' up more though.

Also I may be traveling with tube amps someday. So what is the $500 limit for - all your belongings? And what sort of reaction do customs have about tubes and amps? (I hope they don't think it's an explosive or something... given that our obscure audiophile slice of the world is not universally known)

Hint: the average person's 'rig':
 ​
and... "What is a Beyer...namvik?" (LOL)​

May 28, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #1,067 of 2,575
More likely to be a mobile the average person doesn't use dedicated music players anymore.

May 28, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #1,068 of 2,575
  @toolio, being that the O2 amp is debatably inferior to the Magni, of which at least for me, leaves the DT 150 unlistenably dull and lifeless, I would recon the O2 amp would not be a good pairing for the DT 150. A tube amp or more powerful amp should probably have the potential to wake these babies' up more though.

Also I may be traveling with tube amps someday. So what is the $500 limit for - all your belongings? And what sort of reaction do customs have about tubes and amps? (I hope they don't think it's an explosive or something... given that our obscure audiophile slice of the world is not universally known)

​

DecentLevi,
Thanks for your reply. I would disagree that the O2 equipment is inferior to the Magni, as would many others. But it's a matter of taste and opinion, and this has been dabated elsewhere. I will concede that they are similar in performance. However, I would still like to hear from someone who has used the O2+ODAC with the DT 150s. As you know, there is a vast difference in how phones react to different equipment. 

As for the customs issue, it is US$500 for all belongings for travellers re-entering Brasil. Of course, all countries have their own limits. Your question about travelling with tubes is a good one. I once brought back an amp with one tube. It proved to be a big problem for Canadian and US airport security (I was making my way back to Brasil from Canada, via the US.) They wanted the tube removed, which in this equipment was next to impossible (tube on the inside). Fortunately I had packed the manual and was able to show it to them. Tubes immediately show up on baggage x-rays as something that should be investigated, apparently. I doubt that baggage inspectors see many tubes. And yes, the inspector had no idea what a tube was, lol.

May 28, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,069 of 2,575
Erm.....the DT-150 sounds pretty darn good with the O2 & ODAC to me!

My O2 has the option of 1x & 3x gain and on 1x it is admittedly very dull and lifeless. Switch to 3x and give it some juice and it's a bit like giving the DT150 a shot of adrenaline - lively, powerful, impactful yet clean bass....very nice indeed 
smily_headphones1.gif

Should add that I also have a Lyr with some nice tubes (early 60's Bugle Boys & '74 Vokshod rockets) but for whatever reason I prefer the O2 with this 'phone. Not often that happens with higher impedance 'phones. Should add that the Lyr ain't in any way bad either though.

Hoping to buy a Gustard H10 soon so will be interesting to see how the DT-150 fares with a more powerful ss amp in comparison.

May 28, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #1,070 of 2,575

My O2 has the option of 1x & 3x gain and on 1x it is admittedly very dull and lifeless. Switch to 3x and give it some juice and it's a bit like giving the DT150 a shot of adrenaline - lively, powerful, impactful yet clean bass....very nice indeed 
smily_headphones1.gif

According to the designer of the O2 you should never use more gain than is necessary for your desired volume level. You're just hearing distortion, and could likely create the same effect without quality loss through eq

May 28, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,071 of 2,575

According to the designer of the O2 you should never use more gain than is necessary for your desired volume level. You're just hearing distortion, and could likely create the same effect without quality loss through eq

Could be the case but I'm not really keen on EQ'ing. 

I think the standard gain settings for the O2 are 2.5x / 6x so my 3x is probably closer to the norm than 1x is. I've definitely experienced distortion on my old O2 though @ 6x!

Normally with the O2 I tend to use the lowest gain I can get away with but for whatever reason the DT 150 just sounds better on 3x...at equivalent volume. Whether that be down to distortion / degradation I'm not sure but if it is I suppose it's the same reason why some folks prefer tubes. Not a bad thing per se.  

May 28, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,072 of 2,575
  Erm.....the DT-150 sounds pretty darn good with the O2 & ODAC to me!

smily_headphones1.gif

Should add that I also have a Lyr with some nice tubes (early 60's Bugle Boys & '74 Vokshod rockets) but for whatever reason I prefer the O2 with this 'phone. Not often that happens with higher impedance 'phones. Should add that the Lyr ain't in any way bad either though.

Hoping to buy a Gustard H10 soon so will be interesting to see how the DT-150 fares with a more powerful ss amp in comparison.

Thanks for the info. That's good to know. I've read others saying that the D 150 benefits from higher-gain settings on adjustable amps, although I haven't seen anyone comment specifically about the O2+ODAC until now. I think mine has the 2.5x and 6.5x dual gain switch so perhaps 2.5x would do the trick if 6.5 leads to distortion.

May 28, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,073 of 2,575
  Thanks for the info. That's good to know. I've read others saying that the D 150 benefits from higher-gain settings on adjustable amps, although I haven't seen anyone comment specifically about the O2+ODAC until now. I think mine has the 2.5x and 6.5x dual gain switch so perhaps 2.5x would do the trick if 6.5 leads to distortion.

You're welcome!

I think you are right about yours having 2.5x & 6.5x gain as I'm sure that's what JDS use unless asked otherwise.  Hopefully 2.5x should give you good results.   

If you can swing it with the tight customs limits then I think it's worth taking the DT150 on the trip. We all hear differently of course but I think the pairing with the O2/ODAC is not bad at all. Would be interesting to see how you find it in comparison to your Canadian set up (ps. I currently use the ODAC with both my Lyr & O2).

Best,
jello

May 28, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,074 of 2,575

You're welcome!

I think you are right about yours having 2.5x & 6.5x gain as I'm sure that's what JDS use unless asked otherwise.  Hopefully 2.5x should give you good results.   

If you can swing it with the tight customs limits then I think it's worth taking the DT150 on the trip. We all hear differently of course but I think the pairing with the O2/ODAC is not bad at all. Would be interesting to see how you find it in comparison to your Canadian set up (ps. I currently use the ODAC with both my Lyr & O2).

Best,
jello

I have a better chance of avoiding Brasil customs hassles with a pair of headphones than with two pieces of Schiit, lol. Headphones can usually be explained away as travel gear, although my DT 150s are pretty shiny and new. I'm going to take them back to Brasil, based on your encouraging comments. Plus, I have more need for closed headphones there to avoid irritating my wife, who doesn't spend nearly as much time in my Canada "man cave" as I do. If they don't work out, I can just bring them back for use in Canada. I spend about three months of the year in Canada, nine in Brasil. Someday, on an otherwise light return, I might bring the Schiit stack to Brasil, but it will be a major hassle. And then I will have to empty my wallet to buy another combo for Canada, lol. As you know the JDS equipment is much easier to carry (and sneak through customs). I must say, now that I have put a few hours on the DT 150s I am very impressed. Great closed-back headphones at a reasonable price and a welcome addition to my collection. Again, thanks for your help.
*edited to correct a raft of typos

May 28, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #1,075 of 2,575

Could be the case but I'm not really keen on EQ'ing. 

I think the standard gain settings for the O2 are 2.5x / 6x so my 3x is probably closer to the norm than 1x is. I've definitely experienced distortion on my old O2 though @ 6x!

Normally with the O2 I tend to use the lowest gain I can get away with but for whatever reason the DT 150 just sounds better on 3x...at equivalent volume. Whether that be down to distortion / degradation I'm not sure but if it is I suppose it's the same reason why some folks prefer tubes. Not a bad thing per se.  

I've noticed the same, despite objective facts to the contrary my DT150 does actually seem to sound better with my O2 on high gain.

But unfortunately I listen at very low volume and the O2's volume control has to be so low (like less than 8oclock low) to maintain the same level that channel imbalance and noise start becoming an issue

So I just apply a big dirty bass boost eq with equalizerapo, has the same effect really

(Also @ the other poster above, O2+DT150 is an excellent pairing. For all intents and purposes it's an end game amp.)

May 28, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #1,076 of 2,575
There's the DT Bag
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/bey...j0mY163y7VEprBoed-ql8-0pINzzw90uhYaAlT68P8HAQ

Sort of semi rigid available in vinyl or nylon

Found DT150 can be persuaded to fit but really headphones indestructible anyway

I have one DT bag for my DT990, but it does not fit for DT150 unless I remove the foam, which is then not protective enough. I have to keep on searching.

May 29, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #1,077 of 2,575
I have one DT bag for my DT990, but it does not fit for DT150 unless I remove the foam, which is then not protective enough. I have to keep on searching.

Well it wasn't the best fit; the 150s very angular vs DT440-990 but if the the capsules are adjusted in a particular position I found it would fit when I tried. Just the 2 prongs of the sliders get in the way.

Certainly its useless without the foam !

Anyway hope you find something more suitable.

May 29, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #1,078 of 2,575
  DecentLevi,
Thanks for your reply. I would disagree that the O2 equipment is inferior to the Magni, as would many others. But it's a matter of taste and opinion, and this has been dabated elsewhere. I will concede that they are similar in performance. However, I would still like to hear from someone who has used the O2+ODAC with the DT 150s. As you know, there is a vast difference in how phones react to different equipment. 

As for the customs issue, it is US$500 for all belongings for travellers re-entering Brasil. Of course, all countries have their own limits. Your question about travelling with tubes is a good one. I once brought back an amp with one tube. It proved to be a big problem for Canadian and US airport security (I was making my way back to Brasil from Canada, via the US.) They wanted the tube removed, which in this equipment was next to impossible (tube on the inside). Fortunately I had packed the manual and was able to show it to them. Tubes immediately show up on baggage x-rays as something that should be investigated, apparently. I doubt that baggage inspectors see many tubes. And yes, the inspector had no idea what a tube was, lol.

Oh I see, I guess I was judging the O2 based on price / size. Maybe it's not so bad. Also about amps I have recently just figured out a way to get my DT 150 to sound better with a custom setup using the Magni as a preamp into the Beresford Capalla amp.

$500 for all belongings entering Brazil? OMG! My laptop alone costs 3x that. So how much do you have to pay for extra items, or do they even notice everything you have with you? So did you remove the tube for them - and did they let you keep it? 

That was so funny: Tubes immediately show up on baggage x-rays as something that should be investigated... Apparently they need to take swift action against the rise of the illegal tube-smuggling ring, LOL!!!

May 29, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,079 of 2,575
  Oh I see, I guess I was judging the O2 based on price / size. Maybe it's not so bad. Also about amps I have recently just figured out a way to get my DT 150 to sound better with a custom setup using the Magni as a preamp into the Beresford Capalla amp.

$500 for all belongings entering Brazil? OMG! My laptop alone costs 3x that. So how much do you have to pay for extra items, or do they even notice everything you have with you? So did you remove the tube for them - and did they let you keep it? 

That was so funny: Tubes immediately show up on baggage x-rays as something that should be investigated... Apparently they need to take swift action against the rise of the illegal tube-smuggling ring, LOL!!!

I guess I'll discover for myself how the pairing fares. I've pretty much decided to take the DT 150s back to Brasil. Re customs, US$500 is the limit for purchases in Brasil. Any purchases above that amount are taxed at 50%--which believe it or not is low compared to the duty you would pay if you had items shipped to Brasil. Brasil is a protectionist economy and levies high tariffs. Residents (including me) can travel with a few excluded items, such as cell phones, one iPad, etc. Absurdly, laptops are not included so if you travel with one purchased in Brasil you must be able to prove this when you return. Otherwise you may be assessed duty on any laptop newer than three years old. Of course, not everyone is checked when they enter the country. I have actually avoided paying most duties for the past 15 years or so. I leave the country at least three times a year, sometimes more.

About the tube. There was no way to remove it without taking the amp apart, but the owners manual showing the tube convinced airport security that it was legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back