Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Dec 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #676 of 963
It's definitely not a question of having enough power, whether that be voltage or current -- at least as far as the COPs go. My guess is just that they cannot handle a lot of power. I haven't made them clip using a weak/unamped source, only with an amp. But they just can't go to high volumes either as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully my replacement pair fares better but I think you made the right decision. There's a lot of praise out there for these cans, but not a lot of investigation into shortcomings, at least from what I've read. They are very fun though.

Good luck on your quest for loudness.

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #677 of 963
Quote:
It's definitely not a question of having enough power, whether that be voltage or current -- at least as far as the COPs go. My guess is just that they cannot handle a lot of power. I haven't made them clip using a weak/unamped source, only with an amp. But they just can't go to high volumes either as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully my replacement pair fares better but I think you made the right decision. There's a lot of praise out there for these cans, but not a lot of investigation into shortcomings, at least from what I've read. They are very fun though.

Good luck on your quest for loudness.

Thanks yokken.  From your setup and experience, I think you are right about all of it.  The COP's just won't get loud for my taste, well, at least they're in the majority because many headphones nowadays still struggle to go above at least 110db before maximum excursion of the driver.  I'm glad you saved me $150, I'm tired of wasting money on products that should've delivered the complete experience right out of the box, and that's not limited to just this audio hobby, even videogames nowadays leave me incredibly wanting.

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #678 of 963
Quote:

Thanks yokken.  From your setup and experience, I think you are right about all of it.  The COP's just won't get loud for my taste, well, at least they're in the majority because many headphones nowadays still struggle to go above at least 110db before maximum excursion of the driver.  I'm glad you saved me $150, I'm tired of wasting money on products that should've delivered the complete experience right out of the box, and that's not limited to just this audio hobby, even videogames nowadays leave me incredibly wanting.

No product can deliver everything that any given user is going to want.  

Also, am I the only one who doesn't really go nuts with my volume?  I sometimes listen loud, but its pretty rare I am maxing volume on anything.  

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #679 of 963

HIFI-780... You want a pair in that price range that can handle any amping and will not distort regardless of how hard you push em, that's the pair you're after. They hit harder cleaner and faster than the COP's. The COP's are lighter more comfortable and have slightly better detail at lower volumes but that's it.

Just a suggestion but you may wanna check em out.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #680 of 963
I'm a bit surprised of all this talk about headphones that can't handle volume. None of my headphones have that problem. My eardrums would blow long before they would ever start distorting. I've tested them with as high of volume as I could physically handle. :wink:

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #681 of 963
Quote:
I'm a bit surprised of all this talk about headphones that can't handle volume. None of my headphones have that problem. My eardrums would blow long before they would ever start distorting. I've tested them with as high of volume as I could physically handle. :wink:

And I as well. That's why I was surprised when I heard clicking. I thought maybe it was in the song, but I heard it in 2 different songs and I knew.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #682 of 963
Hey guys:

When you use the COP with an amp, do you guys max out the source before using the amp volume? Because that's what I did when using mine with the Clip Zip and the E11. I even tried (a few clicks before max) on the zip and then using the volume with the E11.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #683 of 963
I just got a pair, as my first pair of audiophile headphones, they seem to work great, but only owning them for 1-2 hours.  I have not burned through them yet but as I use them more, they get better it seems.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #684 of 963
Hey guys:

When you use the COP with an amp, do you guys max out the source before using the amp volume? Because that's what I did when using mine with the Clip Zip and the E11. I even tried (a few clicks before max) on the zip and then using the volume with the E11.

On my E10 I have the pc volume on max and I use the volume pot for volume control.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #685 of 963
Quote:
Hey guys:

I thought that's what you're supposed to do, so the amp gets the maximum amount of fidelity from the signal, or some BS like that? I have my Bifrost hooked up over optical so I don't have a volume on my MBP, only my Lyr. But that's what I did with my E17 over USB as a DAC. Just kept my MBP at max volume and use the volume on the E17.

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #686 of 963
Quote:
HIFI-780... You want a pair in that price range that can handle any amping and will not distort regardless of how hard you push em, that's the pair you're after. They hit harder cleaner and faster than the COP's. The COP's are lighter more comfortable and have slightly better detail at lower volumes but that's it.
Just a suggestion but you may wanna check em out.

Thanks, and now that you've mentioned it, I will check out some Ultrasones - I've never heard them before.  I will hold you to it if they fail :) (kidding of course).

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #687 of 963
Quote:

Nah, this just simply means you don't blast your music like I do.  The ones that go the loudest, are the most painful to wear in the long run - Beyer DJX-1, Audio Technica Pro700MK2, etc.  If they were comfortable, I wouldn't be here.  But I will follow into the suggestion of some Ultrasones - I'm looking at those 900's.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #689 of 963
Quote:

Nah, this just simply means you don't blast your music like I do.  The ones that go the loudest, are the most painful to wear in the long run - Beyer DJX-1, Audio Technica Pro700MK2, etc.  If they were comfortable, I wouldn't be here.  But I will follow into the suggestion of some Ultrasones - I'm looking at those 900's.

I do have a very, very slight rattle it the right channel of my 600 ohm 770s but it took me months to notice because its extremely minimal and only occurs when I have the volume at an outrageous, unhealthy level. :wink: It seems to be caused by a slight tear that's in the paper covering the driver. None of my other 'phones have any bit of distortion and trust me, I blast my music.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #690 of 963
Quote:

Yeah...it seems that most basshead over ears that can go loud are either to big and bulky, heavy or awkward looking (when talking portable use).

Even the COP looks a bit bulky when used outside but at least is really light and comfortable.

The most compact basshead over ear that I've seen so far are the VModa's (LP/LP2/M100). The design of the headband is thin and fits close to your head and the cups are really compact for being an over ear design.

Is time for more companies to design loud/basshead over ear headphones that don't look like you got a half of a astronaut helmet on your head, regardless if your going to use it for home or portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back