Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Dec 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #661 of 963
But yokken, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a problem with your COP. I had some major problems with my DT 770 80ohms that I got last month. They had some major clipping and distortion problems. Unfortunately I couldn't return them (got them from some sketchy seller without knowing). So instead i've been using the headband and ear pads from the 770 on my COP. Looks pretty cool.

thread about my DT 770:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/638397/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-bass-problem#post_8904985 

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #662 of 963
Maybe it was driver rattle? Or dirt vibrating? or maybe even the wire inside brushing up against the cup.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #663 of 963
Quote:
Maybe it was driver rattle? Or dirt vibrating? or maybe even the wire inside brushing up against the cup.

Yeah that happens a lot with my 770/Premium/600 and its always caused by hairs. I posted some comments earlier in the thread about how to remove any hairs that might be touching the driver.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #664 of 963
There were a few people mentioning clipping in the right ear specifically, indicating that this is most likely a manufacturing issue.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #665 of 963
Quote:

Yeah that happens a lot with my 770/Premium/600 and its always caused by hairs. I posted some comments earlier in the thread about how to remove any hairs that might be touching the driver.

If it was caused by hairs, I must of had Chewbacca living in them! They sounded like a complete fart cannon at medium to higher volumes
frown.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #666 of 963
Quote:

A light touch with some tape is usually enough to pull hairs out. You could also look into sanitary headphone covers. A little more DIY would be to put another layer under the pads; something acoustically transparent like nylons or something.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #667 of 963
Quote:
I must have had a legitimately defective unit then. I could get it to clip easily. I'm sorry you don't like that song, though... it was one of the first things I played with the COPs and I nearly shat my pants when the sub bass hits when she says "like Saturn's rings". The bass is so win.

Check out "Rockers" from that album if you're feeling up to it. Those are my 2 favorite songs from that EP.

Yea, sorry about that, try exchanging them. I actually really liked Mosh It Up, that trap bit toward the end was dope. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #668 of 963
They're at Beyer right now for repair/replacement. Would be nice if they just "showed up" at my door tomorrow. A guy can dream 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #669 of 963
At one point I had some cool Japanese fabric on the headphones:

Now with the 770 headband/ear pads: 

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #670 of 963
That's sexy. Personally, I love the all black look. But they still look awesome with the black/silver contrast. And... my DT880s arrived 
biggrin.gif
 can't wait to get home and fire them up!!

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #671 of 963
Hi guys,

Posting in here as I finally ordered mine. Pretty excited and since listening to that Saturn song my impatience has kicked in. I ordered the COPs today, from the US (I live in Australia). No one on Amazon would ship internationally at the $140-170 prices I saw, so I had to order off of eBay. Let's hope they aren't defective. They are replacing my Audio Technica ANC7s. I've had those bad boys for 5 years and they've been through A LOT! So, I'm really excited.

I'm a little bummed that those 3.5mm jacks are only available in the Target stores :frowning2: I really want a pair and I'm going to see how the pleather holds up to determine if I should whack on velour pads.

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #673 of 963
Quote:
read somewhere that the cops have a somwhat congested soundstage compared to dt770pro. is that right?

I haven't heard the DT770, but my DT880/600 has a pretty impressive soundstage (beats my HD650) and the COP can't hold a candle to it. But they are closed cans, what can you expect? It's not TERRIBLE by any means.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #674 of 963
Sorry for the double post, but I just gotta say this:

Peter from Beyerdynamic finally emailed me back and said that my COPs had a bad driver and that it will take 2 weeks to get a new one in. They don't want to keep me waiting, so he asked if I would like a brand new COP or a DT880 Premium like I had asked him about. Since I just got the DT880/600 I asked him if he could send me a DT770/32 instead. I figure even if I don't like it I can sell it. I was probably going to return my COPs anyway.

Holy crap though! I didn't think they would actually offer to send me a DT880. We'll see what they say...

Edit: They are sending me brand new COPs with a free leather carrying case, the same one that comes with the DT880s. Kewl. Hopefully these are flawless 
redface.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #675 of 963
I thought clipping happened when a headphone doesn't get enough power to be driven properly, so it would cut-off or clip certain frequencies (usually top or bottom) which leads to distortion.  Yokken with the Lyr, I believe your testimony which is why I canceled these.  It's not because the Lyr has a high output impedance, which will only alter the sound quality, but it won't have an affect on the COP's getting enough power - because the Lry puts out plenty of current which is what the Custom's need.

I remember my Airhead amp with AAA batteries - at full volume on the DT880 32 ohms, the red clipping indicator would light up consistently, and I did hear distortion of bass notes.  However, this has nothing to do with how loud a headphone can get.  Why?  Because I purchased the AC adapter later for the Airhead (which offered more power) and ran it at full volume once again, and voila, no more red clipping indicator getting excited.  I also gained a few more decibels of loudness as well, about 6db. 

It seems to me that the perceived maximum loudness for these COP's might be around 106db, which is pathetic.  I also see that on the Beyer site, that these (according to them) are suppposed to reach 116db.  Massive difference, but I think Beyer is lying to consumers.  Why?  Because I own the T70's and the T50p's.  The T70's can reach 115db and the T50p's can hit 116db.  I find this funny, because on the Beyer site (or Amazon) they show a chart on max loudness for each Tesla variant.  Guess what Beyer rated the T70's and the T50p's?  125db and 126db respectively.  They're jocking us 10db with their own equipment.

If you want further proof, check out headphoneinfo dot com, they measure the loudness on each headphone they review.  You will be surprised, that when properly driven, how high (or low) that phone can actually achieve.  By the way, heaphone info rated the T70's at, you guessed it, the same perceived loudness that I concluded with - around 112db, depending on how bass-heavy the track is.  How did Beyer come up with the 125db???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back