Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Sep 14, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #136 of 963
Hello,

I am looking for my first entry into the headphone world. I will be using them primarily in library-type settings, so I want something closed. My premier concerns are comfort, and sound genuineness (e.g. I would love for the music to sound as the artist/creator intended). From the research I've done to this point, I've settled on Beyer dt770-pro. However, with the new custom ones, I'm wondering if these would be better suited for me? The ability to change up the way the headphone functions seems interesting, but I don't want sound quality to suffer as a result.

I tried on a few other options in store (ATH-M50, etc) , and the dt770-pro was by far the most comfortable. 

budget up to $200.

Thanks!

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #137 of 963
Okay so that was the exact same scenario I was in.  I debated back and forth between the DT770 Pro 80 and the Custom One Pro.  Now I don't profess to be an audiophile yet (still learning and relatively new to this forum).  But I did what any obsessive compulsive electronics and audio fan would do, I bought both to try them out.

As you can see, they both have pretty much the same form factor and relatively the same size earcups.  I felt the DT770 had slightly more padding, but it also could have been the feel of the velour vs the plethor.  

Both sound great, but each has their own strengths.  The DT770 can be driven off portable devices, but it does sound weak compared to the Custom One Pro.  So if you are going to primarily drive off of a smartphone, I would consider the Custom One Pro.  The bass selector does work well, although I wonder how much could be mimicked by playing with the EQ from your sound source.

For me though, I was primarily driving my headphones through an audio receiver and from an amplifier off of my Xonar DGX sound card on my computer.  To me, the DT770 when properly amplified had much more presence than the Custom One Pro.  The mids sounded less recessed while still providing as much bass as the Custom One Pro even at the fourth slider setting.  The DT770 Pro 80 is definitely bass heavy, but it did not seem to overpower the mids like the Custom One Pro.

I also use the headphones for gaming and found the DT770 provided a wider soundstage (IMO) than the Custom One Pro, making it better suited for virtual surround using Dolby Headphone output.

While I liked the Custom One Pro, I am going to return it and keep the DT770 Pro 80.  I like the sound better and love the feel of the velour pads over the plethor.   Also the DT770 Pro 80 is cheaper which doesn't hurt.  Guitar Center sells normally for $170, but with coupons frequently circulating, you can get it as low as $150.  

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #138 of 963
Quote:

Awesome! Thanks for the pics. While you have them both, can you try the 770 velour pads on the COP and let us know how it effects the sound?

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #140 of 963
Quote:
Maybe it's me, but I don't see a way to remove the velour pads from the dt770. They appear to be glued on.

You can remove the ear pads, if you look more carefully, they have a plastic "lip" that holds them in place, and the pads can simply be pulled off from the headphones. However, putting them back is somewhat trickier and needs some patience.

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #142 of 963
waiting for your review with the velours :)
Deciding whether to sell my M50/DT770 for these as I will want to use the velours on the COP too..
Quote:
Maybe it's me, but I don't see a way to remove the velour pads from the dt770. They appear to be glued on.

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #143 of 963
Sorry didn't have the chance to try removing the velour. I did have the m50 but returned them in favor of the dt770. I felt the buyers were more comfortable with and had less ear pressure than the m50s. Personally I prefer the dt770 over the cop. The difference was enough that I doubt the ear pad cover material would significantly make up for the difference in sound signature.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #144 of 963
I just received my Custom One Pros and wondered the following:

1) I heard that external microphones are going to be made available for these headphones?  Any idea of when this will be released?

2) Which velour ear pads would work with this model if I wanted to switch to the softer pad (770s?).  Anyone seen any results on how it effects the sound if you do switch?

3)  The headband seems a little stiff to the point where I think it is putting too much pressure on my head.  Other than bending the metal itself, is there anything I can do to make these ease up?

Cheers

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #145 of 963
Quote:
I just received my Custom One Pros and wondered the following:

1) I heard that external microphones are going to be made available for these headphones?  Any idea of when this will be released?

2) Which velour ear pads would work with this model if I wanted to switch to the softer pad (770s?).  Anyone seen any results on how it effects the sound if you do switch?

3)  The headband seems a little stiff to the point where I think it is putting too much pressure on my head.  Other than bending the metal itself, is there anything I can do to make these ease up?

Cheers

Typically you can stretch the headband to make it clamp less (gently stretch, not bend).

AFAIK, any of the pads that fit the 770/880/990 would fit but I'm guessing the 770 velours might be the best match since they were designed for closed headphones. I too am interested in how the 770 velours effect the sound of these (I can't stand pleather).

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #147 of 963
Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a few days learning about and looking into buying some cans after being strictly an in-ear user for years.  Its been an incredibly helpful resource and I've decided to give these Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros a try since I live in NYC and are looking for a good commute headphone.  Anyway, I came upon this deal and wanted to pass it along to everyone who has been so helpful. 

Through gizmodo.com they are running a promotion with soundearphones.com.  If you purchase a $100 gift certificate they only charge you $75. I just bought two. So these $200 headphones will only cost me $150 with free overnight shipping.  Pretty damn good deal.  I'm in no way affiliated with either company but wanted to pass this along for those interested.  Here are some links for more info.  Deal is only on until Sept 20th though so you have to buy the certificates soon.  But they do not expire so you can use them for any headphone they sell theoretically. 

Gizmodo post
http://gizmodo.com/5943738/free-money-towards-your-dream-headphones-is-your-dealzmodo+exclusive-deal-of-the-day

Soundearphones gift card site
http://www.soundearphones.com/products/100-gift-card

Promo code is
DEALZMODO

Thanks again guys

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #148 of 963
Mine just came in from Amazon today. $189 w/ next day shipping.

I currently own dt770pro, dt880/600, denon ah-d1100, and ath-m50.

Initial impressions? Very cool. Light weight. Easily driven by iPods/iPhones. Excellent for bass heads. Not much of a review, I know. But I've only been listening to them for 20 minutes. Will post further impressions later.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #149 of 963
Thanks for the side by side comparison! as things are looking now i'm planning on getting the dt-770 pro 250 ohm with a portable amp. Though I am hoping to wait for black friday to snag a deal, so I may change my mind by then (; Would also love to know if/how velour pads can work on the cop.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #150 of 963
Good Morning All

I have an update to the Custom One Pro that I have been using for nearly 2 weeks now.

Last night, while I was playing Mass Effect 3, I noticed some things when compared with the DT1350.

Running through my Xonar STX, the Custom One Pro's are difficult to drive compared with the DT1350. The COP are rather low compared to the DT1350 at the same volume. This is very strange considering the COP is rated at 16 Ohms and the DT1350 at 80 Ohms.

Lastly, compared with the DT1350 in games, there is no contest. The COP are somewhat muddy, lack detail. Example, if you fire the Vindicator Battle rifle, the DT1350 sounds so much better, clearer, extremely detailed, I was rather shocked actually at the difference. For gaming the portable DT1350 is so much more than the COP. I truly believe the COP lacks the detailed, sparkly treble which the Tesla DT1350 contains. The Tesla headphones are so much more fun to game with, extremely clear, exciting, you just hear more.

All I want is the mids and highs of Tesla with the bass of the Custom One Pro.

I will now be returning my Custom One Pros
frown.gif

@Beyer, is there a release time frame for a Tesla infused Custom headphone? I really cannot wait long and will pickup the Ultrasone HFi-780 which I liked very much if the wait is long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back