Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Sep 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #166 of 963
Got my pair today from the soundearphones deal.  I can't speak as a headphone expert but as a moderate home theater guy I'm pretty happy.  For me out of the box the balance was quite nice.  Full bass without being boomy with forward mids and highs that aren't lost in the mix.  The bass selector does indeed have quite an effect on the sound.  I find myself mostly sitting at position 3 with sometimes venturing into 4. 

The only question I have as a relative noob to headphones is the volume.  Overall the volume suffices but its borders on a tad low for some live tunes I have.  Would people suggest using an amp with these headphones which run at 16ohms? Thanks for any help

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #167 of 963
Got my pair today from the soundearphones deal.  I can't speak as a headphone expert but as a moderate home theater guy I'm pretty happy.  For me out of the box the balance was quite nice.  Full bass without being boomy with forward mids and highs that aren't lost in the mix.  The bass selector does indeed have quite an effect on the sound.  I find myself mostly sitting at position 3 with sometimes venturing into 4. 

The only question I have as a relative noob to headphones is the volume.  Overall the volume suffices but its borders on a tad low for some live tunes I have.  Would people suggest using an amp with these headphones which run at 16ohms? Thanks for any help

Thanks for the initial impressions. Now I can't wait to check it out.

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #168 of 963
Quote:

An amp could always help especially if you need more volume. I think one person has already mentioned the COP improving just a tad when amped. Just be careful when plugging them into a very powerful amp, since according the specs they are quite sensitive at 16 ohms, but a portable amp would be fine and might give you slightly better performance as well as more volume.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #169 of 963
Hi,

Speaking of amps, I wouldn't plug these into a Lyr. That thing is so powerful it might blow these right out. It's rated at 4W @ 32Ohms, so the Custom One Pro might be getting more power than that, but I doubt it. 

Quote:

An amp could always help especially if you need more volume. I think one person has already mentioned the COP improving just a tad when amped. Just be careful when plugging them into a very powerful amp, since according the specs they are quite sensitive at 16 ohms, but a portable amp would be fine and might give you slightly better performance as well as more volume.

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #171 of 963
Quote:
Thanks for the response fellas. So would a small, less expensive one like an E11 be ok?

Yep that'll work. Let us know what you think of the combo.

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #173 of 963
I think they are thinking in the cable along with a volume and maybe play/pause button.  It isn't out yet but I took a cable from a pair of beats and plugged it in and its working perfectly. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #175 of 963
Quote:
I think they are thinking in the cable along with a volume and maybe play/pause button.  It isn't out yet but I took a cable from a pair of beats and plugged it in and its working perfectly. 

Did he say Beats?  
gs1000.gif
 hahahhaa...

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #177 of 963
Received my pair today.  Nice robust looking cans.  Fits comfortably.  It actually sounds pretty good.  It's not mid-recessed to my ears.  Not a wide soundstage but pretty good for closed cans.  I owned the T70P before and thought the clarity was top notch but I couldn't stand the peaky treble and ultimately sold them.  These do not possess the peaky treble so far.  The bass is extra muddy on the last notch and unlistenable.  Third notch is ok but the second notch seems to be the sweet spot.  It's nice that I can move up notches depending on what song pops up.  Initial impressions are good enough that I will be ordering the velour pads.  

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #178 of 963
Quote:
Received my pair today.  Nice robust looking cans.  Fits comfortably.  It actually sounds pretty good.  It's not mid-recessed to my ears.  Not a wide soundstage but pretty good for closed cans.  I owned the T70P before and thought the clarity was top notch but I couldn't stand the peaky treble and ultimately sold them.  These do not possess the peaky treble so far.  The bass is extra muddy on the last notch and unlistenable.  Third notch is ok but the second notch seems to be the sweet spot.  It's nice that I can move up notches depending on what song pops up.  Initial impressions are good enough that I will be ordering the velour pads.  

Sounds positive.  Mine is on a UPS truck. :frowning2:

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #180 of 963
Quote:

Im getting tempted to buy one for me. Sounds promising. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back