Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Sep 19, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #151 of 963
Quote:

Running through my Xonar STX, the Custom One Pro's are difficult to drive compared with the DT1350. The COP are rather low compared to the DT1350 at the same volume. This is very strange considering the COP is rated at 16 Ohms and the DT1350 at 80 Ohms.

Impedance isn't everything. Perhaps the COP has a lower sensitivity than the DT1350?

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #152 of 963
Quote:

Impedance isn't everything. Perhaps the COP has a lower sensitivity than the DT1350?

That's the only other viable explanation, so yes, it must be something to do with the sensitivity of the two headphones.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #153 of 963
Quote:
I really like the design of these headphones, they just shout durability all over them while still having a quite cool look to them. However my concern is in the bass, seems to be too heavy subbass skewed for my taste (<100Hz range emphasized) and lack some punch, I need balanced subbass & midbass presence especially for my favorite genre Hardstyle.

:D  Another Hardstyle lover!!!!!!

Since these cans are under $200 on Amazon, I'm wondering how well they serve other EDM genres.  I'm still looking to replace my DJ1, mainly for more clarity & kick.

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #154 of 963
For the love of god, someone with the Custom Pros get the 770 velours and swap them to see what it does to the sound. I'd love to try them out as a possible sealed can, but only if they sound good with the 770 velours.

Do NOT get the 880/990 velours, as that will destroy the seal, bass, and make everything super treble oriented.

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #155 of 963
Quote:
That's the only other viable explanation, so yes, it must be something to do with the sensitivity of the two headphones.

The output impedance of the sound card also makes the Custom One Pro quieter by an additional few dB (as well as potentially degrading the quality in some ways). But the Tesla drivers are indeed more efficient than the old DT series ones, to the extent that even the 250 Ω T70 could be louder from the same source than the 32 Ω DT770.

The DRV601 "headphone amplifier" on the cheap Xonar DG (as used by an earlier reviewer) probably does not like the Custom One Pro much, although it is probably still not the main reason why he did not like the headphones.

By the way, does anyone know what ear pads are used on these originally ? Is it EDT 770 S, or something specific to this model ?

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #156 of 963
Quote:
For the love of god, someone with the Custom Pros get the 770 velours and swap them to see what it does to the sound. I'd love to try them out as a possible sealed can, but only if they sound good with the 770 velours.
Do NOT get the 880/990 velours, as that will destroy the seal, bass, and make everything super treble oriented.

+1. I was going to order the COP today with that soundearphones.com deal but to be honest, Bloodflowerz thoughts have put me off a bit. I have the 770/Premium/600 so I would be able to swap the velour pads onto the COP but now I have to decide if I want to take the plunge. From the initial feedback on the COP it sounds like they would be a downgrade on resolution and soundstage compared to my 770s which, unless the mids are significantly less recessed, would make them pretty useless to me.

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #157 of 963
Quote:

Just placed my order for the 770 black velours.  Really hoping they maintain similar sound quality to the pleathers...and reduce the sweat factor.

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #159 of 963
For anyone who was looking for answers the my earlier post, I received the following reply from a Beyerdynamic rep:

1) I heard that external microphones are going to be made available for these headphones? Any idea of when this will be released? Microphone planned to be released early 2013

2) Which velour ear pads would work with this model if I wanted to switch to the softer pad? Also, how would this effect the sound of my headphones?  The EDT 770V (silver velour) part# 926660 or the EDT
770 VB (black velour) part# 906166 without effecting the sound what so ever.  You may order directly on beyerdynamic.com by punching in these part number in the quick search of our website.

3) The headband seems a little stiff to the point where I think it is putting too much pressure on my head. Other than bending the metal itself, is there anything I can do to make these ease up on the force on my head?  The Custom One Pro has moderate clamping force.  The velour ear pads will make a difference
on the pressure.

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #160 of 963
Quote:
2) Which velour ear pads would work with this model if I wanted to switch to the softer pad? Also, how would this effect the sound of my headphones?  The EDT 770V (silver velour) part# 926660 or the EDT 770 VB (black velour) part# 906166 without effecting the sound what so ever.

Sweeeeeeeeet!

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #162 of 963
Looking forward to your video on these :) 
Did you not ever get the DT770 PRO 80's ? I think I suggested to try them a long time ago on one of your videos. Would be a good comparison between the two for a video. 
Quote:
I am excited to get this for review next week. yay!!!!   I like the detachable cable feature and Variable Bass Reflex System.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #164 of 963
Hi,

Is beyer sending you a pair? I spoke with Pete Carini recently and he told me they have not gotten their demo units in yet.

Quote:
I am excited to get this for review next week. yay!!!!   I like the detachable cable feature and Variable Bass Reflex System.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #165 of 963
Quote:
Hi,

Is beyer sending you a pair? I spoke with Pete Carini recently and he told me they have not gotten their demo units in yet.

I suspect HiFiGuy bought the COP on his own which he often does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back