Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Thread
Nov 9, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #76 of 113
  @ulfarn Okay, so Beyerldynamic finally has the T1 Gen 2 drivers for sale here: http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/hah/spareparts/system-set.html
The picture that they use is the Gen 1, but it's really the Gen 2 

I know that your cans were fully personalized, but, is it possible to JUST change the drivers? Would I need to change anything else for it to sound adequate?

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #77 of 113

Woah, just saw the last page of this thread, and, you modded your COPs to have T1 drivers?!

How complex/difficult is it to do this??

Yup :)

Basically, all you need to know is how to solder and how to use a dremel, that's pretty much it. All the parts I sourced from Beyerdynamic Germany, so essentially I didn't have to make parts myself or anything. You just desolder the COP drivers, use your dremel in several place to make the T1 to be able to fit inside, cut some dynamat to place inside the earcups and around the circumference of the T1 transducer, then you solder in the T1 driver.

I know that your cans were fully personalized, but, is it possible to JUST change the drivers? Would I need to change anything else for it to sound adequate?

Yes, but it depends on the driver really. All of the closed drivers (i.e. DT770s, DT1770, T5p, T70, etc.) can be placed without any changes. But, for any open or semi-open drivers you will need earpads that are leather/leatherette and provide an adequate seal. On this page the only suitable earpads would be the EDT 770 SEDT 600 SSEDT 800 LB, EDT 800 LSEDT 5pLB, and the EDT 1770 S when it becomes available:
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/hah/spareparts.html?p=5

You can also use the lambskin leather Audeze LCD earpads if the drivers aren't already angled (like the T1 or T5p):
https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/lcd-earpads

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #79 of 113
Sorry for the necro guys.

I finally got done with another custom COP. This time I made one with a DT 1770 Pro driver. Soldering it was a bit tricky, but it turned out like this:

<snip?

Are these the drivers You bought?

What other changes have to be done to the cups/drivers to make them work together, aside from soldering them of course?

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #80 of 113
Are these the drivers You bought?

What other changes have to be done to the cups/drivers to make them work together, aside from soldering them of course?
Hello Yethal,

Yes, those are the ones.

On each cup there is this circular plastic piece that sticks out in the middle that you'll need to get ride of before you can fit the drivers inside, but nothing needs to be done with the drivers. The best/cleanest way to remove that circular plastic piece is with a pair of pliers. When using the pliers just squeeze and twist and it comes off cleanly, mich better than when I tried to use a dremel. Aside from that there are a few other modifications that can be done for better sound quality. I've already made them for myself, but I have not begun selling them as a mod kit quite yet. The mod cleans up the treble, and gives and immense increase to the soundstage imaging. If that sounds like something that you're interested in after you have done the driver implant, then let me know.

You can also try out different earpads. The two that I'd recommend would be the Dekoni memory foam leather earpads and the Audeze LCD sheepskin earpads. The Dekoni earpads are softer, smaller (if you don't like big earpads), cheaper, and more isolated; the Audeze earpads are much bigger and angled which is better for soundstage imaging. They both are relatively comfortable, so there really isn't a major deal breaker there. Though, if you are planning to get the Audeze earpads, then here's a guide on how to modify them to fully/tightly fit the COP: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780786/audeze-earpad-mod-for-beyerdynamic-heaphones

Best Regards,
Lyova Margaryan of Tru-Fi Speakers

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #81 of 113
Hello Yethal,

Yes, those are the ones.

On each cup there is this circular plastic piece that sticks out in the middle that you'll need to get ride of before you can fit the drivers inside, but nothing needs to be done with the drivers. The best/cleanest way to remove that circular plastic piece is with a pair of pliers. When using the pliers just squeeze and twist and it comes off cleanly, mich better than when I tried to use a dremel. Aside from that there are a few other modifications that can be done for better sound quality. I've already made them for myself, but I have not begun selling them as a mod kit quite yet. The mod cleans up the treble, and gives and immense increase to the soundstage imaging. If that sounds like something that you're interested in after you have done the driver implant, then let me know.

You can also try out different earpads. The two that I'd recommend would be the Dekoni memory foam leather earpads and the Audeze LCD sheepskin earpads. The Dekoni earpads are softer, smaller (if you don't like big earpads), cheaper, and more isolated; the Audeze earpads are much bigger and angled which is better for soundstage imaging. They both are relatively comfortable, so there really isn't a major deal breaker there. Though, if you are planning to get the Audeze earpads, then here's a guide on how to modify them to fully/tightly fit the COP: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780786/audeze-earpad-mod-for-beyerdynamic-heaphones

Best Regards,

Currently I use the Shure velour earpads with my COP. I lost some of the bass however the velour is much more comfortable to me than the stock earpads. I sent You a PM regardin the mod kit.

Aug 21, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #82 of 113
Currently I use the Shure velour earpads with my COP. I lost some of the bass however the velour is much more comfortable to me than the stock earpads. I sent You a PM regardin the mod kit.
I don't think the loss of bass should be an issue. That's the great thing about the COP body, you can open the ports for more bass. Though, I'd still argue that both the Dekoni and Audeze earpads are better since they are more comfortable and isolated than the Shure's.

Best Regards,

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #83 of 113
Hi guys!

I am about to buy a COP, but I have two doubts, and you all surely can help me, so please:

- The other headphone I loved while trying headphones is the SHURE SRH-840. Do any of you have experience with the Shure headphone? (This exact model.)

- Do any of you can make me a photo about two parts of the COP please: first is unscrewing the little plastic "triangle" on the sides of an earcup, and showing the triangle inside, the metal band without the triangle and the hole in the earcup, the second is removing the pleather headband cover, unscrewing one of the plastic thingies on the end of the headband cover, and then capturing the headband without it all, and the inside of the plastic thingy. Would help a lot, its a really large plus in the shure-840 vs cop decision that the COP is really repairable (has a really simple yet effective headband), but I don't know about these parts.

Thanks for your help, any comment is welcome.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #84 of 113
One more question: I have a problem with the COP: volume. I tested the Shure 840, and it was really loud, and when I tested the COP it was barely above enough. I am not sure if I tested the Pro or the Pro Plus, maybe there is a difference? I read 16 and 32 Ohm impedance on datasheets too, mainly 16 for the Plus, can it be that I tried a Pro (without Plus) and it was 32 Ohm? The Shure is 40 or 48 Ohm in impedance.

(My source was a Sony XA.)

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #85 of 113
All parts are exchangeable between all Beyerdynamic models so the COP cups and earband and pretty much everything else (including the drivers) can be replaced by any other part from other Beyerdynamic models.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #86 of 113
  One more question: I have a problem with the COP: volume. I tested the Shure 840, and it was really loud, and when I tested the COP it was barely above enough. I am not sure if I tested the Pro or the Pro Plus, maybe there is a difference? I read 16 and 32 Ohm impedance on datasheets too, mainly 16 for the Plus, can it be that I tried a Pro (without Plus) and it was 32 Ohm? The Shure is 40 or 48 Ohm in impedance.

(My source was a Sony XA.)

Using them from a phone, isn't exactly the ideal listening scenario. It may have to do with sensitivity as well as impedance of the headphone. Most phones don't have powerful amps so you can't get the best from a good pair of headphones. I'd compare the two on a half-decent AMP/DAC then make a judgement call

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #87 of 113
I know that mobile usage is not the main road for these headphones, but I compared them using the same mobile, same tracks, same volume, and the difference was BIG.

Tested an Audio-Technica M40x, a Sony MDR 7506, and those were fine too, way above the COP. Shure was the greatest in volume, I was really surprised.

Hope it was a 32 Ohm one that I tested.

Edit: tested an Audio-Technica MSR7 and a M50x too, as I see you had one of those, tell me that the COP is not quieter.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #88 of 113
Okay, I have a problem: can it be that the one I was testing was somehow malfunctioning, or got damaged?

I checked all my tested headphones, shure, audio technica, sony, ..., all in sensitivity around 100, as the COP, but in impedance the COP is 16, all others from 32 to 54, mainly around 40. I even tested a 80 Ohm DT770, was lower in volume and overall power, but I was trying it to check a really underpowered headphone (there was no 25 Ohm one in the shop).

And the COP I was tested probably had previous tests, it was more quiet than the others, roughly like the DT770 80 Ohm, maybe less quiet.

The weird thing, and what I can't really value how important is: the seller gave me a Beyerdynamic headphone amp (an A1 if I found it right, just remember the look of it - https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-A1-Headphone-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0024NK32Q ), I tested it with it, was better in sound of course, but I had to set the amp up to around 50% to get the same volume as without the amp. Tested the same phone and amp with other Beyerdynamic open headphones (the seller was a Beyerdynamic retailer), those worked around the same 50%, little higher, maybe 60% (and probably all was way above 16 Ohm impedance).

Can it be that it was somehow damaged? OR WHAT? :)

(I would love to hear that it should have been higher in volume.)

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #90 of 113
The COP might have been defective. Neither COP+ nor COP Studio are terribly inefficient.

SRH840 rocks. Try it out again, but change the volume when switching between it and a properly working COP so that both sound like they are more or less playing just as loud to your ears and then see for yourself which you like better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back