Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Thread
Jan 22, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #106 of 113
Maybe this is a unique issue, but the comfort on these is becoming a problem for me.
In-store they fit great and were comfortable, but after a few days I was feeling pressure on the sides of my head.
I've noticed that within the headband and underneath the cushioning, the arms that hold the cups extend into a short stop. These are designed to wobble a little in that plastic bracket and when worn this top part will angle in towards the head. This metal is pressing into the sides of my skull lightly and I can't "adjust" it away.

Anyone else experienced this? Or perhaps come across a mod to resolve it?
Beyer_Metal.jpg
Oh boy. It's been a long time since I've logged on. Yes, there is a way. There's alawys a way for people that are handy with mods, but if you are not, then there still is a way. The DT 1770 pro headband has a plastic guide/guard that prevents the metal from causing pressure there, while also increasing the headband pressure (evenly) where it should be. Very easy to do if you have a torx screw driver kit, and a donor DT 1770 pro. You can also order spare parts from Beyer which could be a bit of a confusing process if you've never done it before. It could take a while to find all the parts (part numbers), and fill out a parts order form, takes quite a while to receive them too (from Germany usually). If you do just get a DT 1770, then there are other useful donor parts (namely the drivers). If you know what you are doing, it's all pretty easy. If not, you could always find a guy to do it for you.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #107 of 113
@Packdemon Hey, thanks for this info!
I don't have a DT1770 lying around unfortunately, and even a non-working pair would probably cost more than the Custom One haha.
What parts would I be looking at ordering from Beyerdynamic to fix that headband issue? I tried looking for images of the DT1770 Pro's underlying headband to figure out what parts prevented those arms from touching the head but couldn't find an image with the cushion off to compare.

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #108 of 113
@Packdemon Hey, thanks for this info!
I don't have a DT1770 lying around unfortunately, and even a non-working pair would probably cost more than the Custom One haha.
What parts would I be looking at ordering from Beyerdynamic to fix that headband issue? I tried looking for images of the DT1770 Pro's underlying headband to figure out what parts prevented those arms from touching the head but couldn't find an image with the cushion off to compare.
No problem. Like I said, it's a bit of time, but you could save money if you order it yourself. There's small quirks I think I forgot to mention too, but here's a few things to help you out on saving some time. It's easier to source the parts (part numbers) from the German website than the American/English one.

Here's the link for the drivers:
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/catalog/product/view/id/3949/

Link for the plastic guard thing I was talking about:
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/catalog/product/view/id/4575/

Metal bracket (underneath headband):
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/catalog/product/view/id/1064/

In general, you can search up parts here:
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/service/ersatzteile?cid=footer

Optional strap that goes over the metal bracket (still under the headband):
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/catalog/product/view/id/4463/

Google chrome should have a feature that automatically translates the website from German if you need it to.

The lower tension metal bracket from the COP should work too if you have a Dremel (rotary tool). Four little corners need to be shaved off for it to fit in the new plastic from the DT 1770. The bracket is hard spring steel, not aluminum, so it's pretty hard to shave. You'll need oil to keep it cool while shaving, and your bit will need adequate hardness. Or you can order the metal bracket for the 1770, not sure if it'll have those cut outs already, but it should. The only other quirk I can remember is that you won't get an inner piece for the plastic thing that has the Left/Right indication with the unit number (because it's a spare, not an actual unit), so when you tighten the screw, you'll want to make sure to not tighten it all the way or to shave down the tip of the screw so the length of it doesn't visibly poke through to the other end. Email orders@beyerdynamic-usa.com for prices on each part number as well as a parts order form. Fill out all the information and submit it back to them to complete your order, and then you wait.

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #109 of 113
At the end of the day, it's still pretty expensive. Sometimes getting a "Used - Like New" DT 1770 on Amazon gives you a good deal. Right now it's definitely not the lowest I've seen, so it's best just keeping an eye out. Subscribing to eBay notifications for used Beyerdynamic on the market is not a bad idea either.
Screenshot_20210129-142350_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #111 of 113
@Packdemon Dude thanks so much for the info! I may not wind up using this in the end but it's great to have this here in case someone else comes across a similar issue.
I love the Beyer build quality and design so I may invest in a 1770 down the road. If any cheaper models with the same headband design tickle my fancy, I've still got this solution you've listed out too.

Can't thank you enough for the effort!

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #112 of 113
I got this headphone a couple of months ago..just for kicks as it was extremely cheap. I wasn’t really expecting anything other than it being closedback.
What I found in return has quickly made this Beyer my go-to closedback headphone. That used to be the K371 but I gifted my old pair to a colleague of mine. First and foremost because I find the mids over the COP breathtaking - especially for a closedback headphone. They don’t normally sound as ‘right’ and ‘open’ as they do over this, sadly, discontinued headphone.
I additionally have the bass sliders set to the second option (tiny hole) which gives a nice little kick to the lows and low mids, opposite the K371 that highlights the subbass more intently. I actually prefer the warmer characteristics of the Beyer becaus it mimics the type of warmth I get from the classic HD600/650 that also has a little ‘meat on it’s bones’ down there.
I am also over the moon about the treble performance. No mountains of doom but being a Beyer you still get a little ‘sizzle’..though well below the insane levels of DT770/DT1770/T5/T70.
Lastly? The comfort is heavenly. I thought the AKG was very comfortable but this baby takes it to a whole other level. It disappears on my head. Doesn’t weigh anything, very soft pads and blocks out noise almost as well as one of those noise cancelling badboys.
Nice one Beyer👍
14D8B095-93A1-4A3B-95FD-86149C8C769E.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #113 of 113
I always felt that my ideal bass level was between 1 and 2 holes open. I opened the cups and put some blue-tack in the smallest hole. An interesting find is that the 2nd and 3rd hole have a mesh to cover the hole, but the smallest doesn't.
Oh well. Stuffed it and put the headphones back together: Clean bass!
I also swapped the stock pads for some black velour dt770 pads I still had laying around. The velour is less sweaty and still quite comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back