Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Review
Jul 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #166 of 434
Quote:

Thanks for the input, I'm a beginner and I haven't owned many pairs of headphones before, just few weeks ago I was really close to buying the Razer Tiamat 7.1 but I'm glad I didn't, I'm currently using the Razer Electra, they're probably a lot worse than brands like Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic, but I'm not complaining as the quality is decent for $55, but again I'm no pro, after using these overly advertised brands with only average quality, now I want to get my first good pair of a quality brand for watching movies and listening to music, I already bought the Sennheiser PC350 SE for gaming, seems like these Custom One Pro are my perfect fit!

My Pleasure!! I too am a beginner really, I just happened to get really really lucky and have a very very knowledgeable and even more gentlemanly (like the nicest guy ever) take me by the hand and steer me in all the right directions, and there are a lot of them.

One thing I have learned though, is that although this is a very rich pool of knowledge, and general consensus seems to be reached accurately, it is a great idea to try and define what you WANT you headphones to do, or how you LIKE your music presented. When you establish that, then you can start really using Head Fi to nail down what you NEED to fulfill your desires.

Hence, having a set like these, in my opinion is a GREAT kick off point for quality headphones, as it could be argued that you get four headphones in one with these, OK the argument isn't quite as simple as that, but still you will be able to play with the dynamics of the headphones without playing with EQ or anything else. Please let us all know if you buy them and then what you think. I found it really hard to start reviewing and my initial attempts are clumsy, but the more I do it, the better I get.

Sometimes all of this "scooped out mids" etc etc etc etc blah blah woof woof, can really be quite confounding, sometimes it is cool to simplify, does it sound good to you? If it does then they are good phones whatever anyone else might say or experience.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #167 of 434
Quote:
My Pleasure!! I too am a beginner really, I just happened to get really really lucky and have a very very knowledgeable and even more gentlemanly (like the nicest guy ever) take me by the hand and steer me in all the right directions, and there are a lot of them.

One thing I have learned though, is that although this is a very rich pool of knowledge, and general consensus seems to be reached accurately, it is a great idea to try and define what you WANT you headphones to do, or how you LIKE your music presented. When you establish that, then you can start really using Head Fi to nail down what you NEED to fulfill your desires.

Hence, having a set like these, in my opinion is a GREAT kick off point for quality headphones, as it could be argued that you get four headphones in one with these, OK the argument isn't quite as simple as that, but still you will be able to play with the dynamics of the headphones without playing with EQ or anything else. Please let us all know if you buy them and then what you think. I found it really hard to start reviewing and my initial attempts are clumsy, but the more I do it, the better I get.

Sometimes all of this "scooped out mids" etc etc etc etc blah blah woof woof, can really be quite confounding, sometimes it is cool to simplify, does it sound good to you? If it does then they are good phones whatever anyone else might say or experience.

If I do get them I'll let you know what I think after I try them. But can I ask how big the ear pads are? It's hard to judge on pictures and I'm just a little worried that they are a little small. Would you be able to measure diameter of the inside of the pads? Like the actual space for the ears. My current ones are 5.5cm and they're a little too small, I just prefer headphones that don't go on my ears but around them. Thanks

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #168 of 434
Quote:

If I do get them I'll let you know what I think after I try them. But can I ask how big the ear pads are? It's hard to judge on pictures and I'm just a little worried that they are a little small. Would you be able to measure diameter of the inside of the pads? Like the actual space for the ears. My current ones are 5.5cm and they're a little too small, I just prefer headphones that don't go on my ears but around them. Thanks

I am afraid I do not have them with me right now, but unless you have super giant ears, then they will definitely go around your ears and seal on the side of your head. Deffo not "on ear" phones 
o2smile.gif

In fact they are quite large in depth also. I find them super comfy, but do prefer the velour pads which you can buy to replace the fake leather ones they come with.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #169 of 434
Quote:
I am afraid I do not have them with me right now, but unless you have super giant ears, then they will definitely go around your ears and seal on the side of your head. Deffo not "on ear" phones 
o2smile.gif

In fact they are quite large in depth also. I find them super comfy, but do prefer the velour pads which you can buy to replace the fake leather ones they come with.

That's ok, thanks anyway, I'm glad to hear that they are large in depth, my Razer ones are really shallow and press against my ears all the time and it hurts. Thank you again I'm almost certain that I'm getting these Custom One Pro when I have the money, they're only $199 with free international shipping on eBay at the moment!

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #173 of 434
Quote:

I don't own a COP, but I am sure these velour will change the sound quite a bit, probably closer to the DT770 since it's based off it. I did some testing with my DT880 in the past, earpads have a lot of impact to the sound. No commons on the cables tho, I am not willing to replace my cables.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #174 of 434
I need some help because I want to make a custom cable for these.  How large is the cable opening?  If i need to shave out the plastic lock I will, but will it fit a connector that is 8.8mm in diameter?  That's .346 inches.  I want to use the viablue t6s small 3.5mm jack, but before i spend the insane amount that these things cost, I want to make sure they'll fit.

Thanks

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #177 of 434
  I did a direct comparison with the Momentum, AKG K167, Focal Spirit One and a D1001 and I found the COP pretty impressive.
I have listened to hundreds of more headphones and have a pretty clear mental image of at least 50 more headphones sound signature and technical abilities.
Of the 4 headphones The Momentum was the superior one. It has a really full, enjoyable laidback sound and still managed to have nice sparkle in the treble. Reminded me of the LCD-2 in that regard. Nicely detailed, but the details was never forced by a unnatural spike in the upper mids or treble. Nice soundstage, not the deepest but with good separation. This headphones works with pretty much all genres like a HD600/650.

Now on to the COP. This headphones do very little wrong and a lot right in my opinion. It reminded me of a M50 with better bass impact, larger soundstage, slightly less warm mids and no annoying 9k spike. According to my memory of the M50 the COP is slightly less detailed, but I can take slightly less detail in exchange for more smoothness.  It has pretty good focus and speed and still managed to sound full and fun. This is a departure from the normal colder and thinner Beyer studio-like tonality and if you are looking for a analytical headphones this is not for you. This is not a headphone suited for studio monitoring as it's not that great at showing bad mixes or bad quality sound. I feel the change in tonality is a step in the right direction for Beyer however.
One of the best tings about this headphone is the adjustable bass even tho for me personally only 2 settings works good. This is good when genre hopping and makes it an easier recommendation to novices.  
When it comes to genres I feel modern music do this can more justice. Electronic, pop, rock and hip hip is the forte, especially electronic music IMO. For "audiophile" music I can understand why some may prefer a K167.
I don't understand the person who said this was a boring headphone. K550, DT990, SA5000 and all Etymotics are boring headphones.
If you where disappointed by the thin and slightly spiky sound of the K550, anemic T70 or the unnatural, metallic and horribly spiky sound of almost all Ultrasone models this is a more safe buy. This is a natural sounding headphone in comparison and more natural sounding in the treble than the K167 too.
I would liked to have slightly more air and clarity, and slightly more tightness in the bass, but I understand why they went in this direction. I don't feel it lacks clarity or detail especially, but for 200$ in the year 2013, maybe it's not the final say.  To me this headphone is a winner overall. This is a headphone for an average listener using a portable device or on a computer without expensive gear. 
If anyone is interested in a more detailed comparison to one of the three or any other headphones I perhaps may be of service.

i really want to know more about the focal spirit one. could you please be more specific about how it differentiates from beyer? i'm about to shoose one of them and i really don't know what to shoose

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #179 of 434

The way he wrote it you can interpret it's not written by an unexperienced listener unlike most feedback in the other COP thread. Besides this Steve Guttenberg from CNET seems to like these quite a lot too, it seems the more experience the more liked it is, I'm guessing these headphones need an acquired taste, for many newcomers V-shape headphones or well more aggressive / in-your-face treble signatures tend to impress people while often this changes over time to start appriciate a more smooth and warm midrange that's not necessarily crystal clear or "crisp" but what is there is smooth but still detailed sound.

I'm guessing this is the case with COP.

I can't seem to find Steve's thoughts on the COP. Can you provide a link, please?

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #180 of 434
  Downgrade?
I totally retired my hd-25's after getting the COP's.
I even prefer them over my Amperior and dt-770 pro anniversary.
Comfort to my ears, physically and sonically.

That's exactly how I feel about my COP. I had the DT 770 32 and 80 ohm, Momentum and M100 and the COP is by far the best of the bunch. Super comfy, fun and relaxing sound with no tiresome sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back