Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless
Aug 2, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #571 of 784
@dsuser In principle you can experiment with felt pads in front of the driver if you're looking for a purely acoustical solution. Otherwise carefully applied EQ might help, pad swapping is also an option. I'd stay away from pleather if upper mids are too strong for you already though.

on the other hand, the Amiron supports Beyerdynamics MIY, i.e. Sound profiles tailored to your ears/hearing. Did you try the companion app yet? There's some mode to adjust the profile of the headphones, anything is stored on the headphone itself, so it works with every Bluetooth source after configuring it.

Thanks for the app suggestion, the app discovered there was a firmware update, moved from 55 to 59.

Based on what the app purports to do, it seems to compensate for the progressive hearing loss due to age. Likely it does this by increasing the amplification of high frequencies which is where the loss occurs. If this is the case, it's unlikely to solve the problem of perceived excessive high-mids

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #572 of 784
Thanks for the app suggestion, the app discovered there was a firmware update, moved from 55 to 59.

Based on what the app purports to do, it seems to compensate for the progressive hearing loss due to age. Likely it does this by increasing the amplification of high frequencies which is where the loss occurs. If this is the case, it's unlikely to solve the problem of perceived excessive high-mids

yes, that's the main purpose. But I think you may be able to guide it a bit by tailoring your answers according to your needs. I'd give it a try, doesn't cost you anything apart from your time. I don't know it the app also offers a simple custom EQ, but that might be there as well because technically that's what it does.

Aug 15, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #575 of 784
I have them both and love them both. The Home has a lot of nicely done and detailed bass and the Wireless has detailed treble that are not fatiguing at all. They are laid back. It depends on your preferences and budget. One thing is for sure, despite the same name 'Amiron', they both sounds very different from each other.
Yes, I have both and love them both. It is interesting that both headphones share the name Amiron but sound different.

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #576 of 784
Aug 29, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #577 of 784
Thank you so much for sharing this.

Put both on top of stock pads and seal is MUCH improved. I can actually yawn or cough, and the seal stays.
Glad I could help someone with the pads covers ^^ Seal is indeed much better and improved and the bass too. Comfort improved much too.

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #578 of 784
The ones that it came with currently, I like the fit and comfort to be honest :)
I have the Amiron Copper and love it. Wearing comfort is very good too and the audio is relaxed and laid back, no ear fatigue. It's worth every penny I threw at it. The copper version is just too nice.
Too bad there is no Amiron Home Copper :'( They both sounds different despites the same Amiron group. Using the original pads as I don't wanna screw it up and also wanna keep the stock look.

I probably won't change the pads on my precious Amirons but how are these pads replaced? I mean it's not like with the DT880.
At first I was put off by the Amiron Copper Wireless pads - yesterday when I first unboxed them, but now after 4+ hours of wearing and listening I am already appreciating how they disappear and just hold the ACW's in place. I also pressed them in to see if there was bass response improvement, and no the clamping force as is with the stock pads is optimized already for FR and Bass.

I don't think I need to change the pads now, although I built a nice list of alternatives on Amazon - I think I'll stick with the stock pads for now.

A / B / C'ing between PC BT Wireless, FiiO M15, and Topping D90 MQA / A90 I am more than happy with all of the source modes I have - the M15 in Low Gain + "Over the ear Headphone" mode does deliver the best impactful Bass elements, with the A90 / D90 MQA next, followed closely by the BT Wireless.

The Beyerdynamic Amiron Copper is the best BT headphone I've used in 20 years, I'm glad I got them :)
I've posted above my impressions few pages before ... I felt exactly same as you and I've found the right balance with a quite cheap mod, being Beyerdynamic EDT 770 V pads, just EUR 20 and I now all the same details but much less darker sound....Also the silver velour looks absolutely gorgeous with the Copper version I have...I've I never tried other pads but I would be skeptical of trying those above with very thick padding since I want less lower mids (I said lower mids and not bass) and not more, I want a more airy sound and that's what I got with the EDT 770 V and now I'm quite happy with them...of course I'm open to change my opinion if someone runs a direct comparison...but at the moment I don't feel I need to splash another $80 for Dekoni
That's the same way I feel, I don't want to invest another $80 in new pads, but the EDT 770V pads are only $34.95 on ebay right now, so I ordered a pair - if they work out I'll order another for my DT 770's too :wink:

beyerdynamic EDT 770 V ear pad set velour silver-grey for DT 770 PRO series and
https://www.ebay.com/itm/beyerdynam...r-grey-for-DT-770-PRO-series-and/113690554888

beyerdynamic EDT 770 VB Ear Pad Set Velour in black for MMX 300, Custom Studio
https://www.ebay.com/itm/beyerdynam...-black-for-MMX-300-Custom-Studio/113445968174

Both sold by beyerdynamic-usa

How do you like them now that you've been wearing them for a long while?
Here is a picture of my Amiron Wireless Copper
Those look great :)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #579 of 784
At first I was put off by the Amiron Copper Wireless pads - yesterday when I first unboxed them, but now after 4+ hours of wearing and listening I am already appreciating how they disappear and just hold the ACW's in place. I also pressed them in to see if there was bass response improvement, and no the clamping force as is with the stock pads is optimized already for FR and Bass.

I don't think I need to change the pads now, although I built a nice list of alternatives on Amazon - I think I'll stick with the stock pads for now.

A / B / C'ing between PC BT Wireless, FiiO M15, and Topping D90 MQA / A90 I am more than happy with all of the source modes I have - the M15 in Low Gain + "Over the ear Headphone" mode does deliver the best impactful Bass elements, with the A90 / D90 MQA next, followed closely by the BT Wireless.

The Beyerdynamic Amiron Copper is the best BT headphone I've used in 20 years, I'm glad I got them :)

That's the same way I feel, I don't want to invest another $80 in new pads, but the EDT 770V pads are only $34.95 on ebay right now, so I ordered a pair - if they work out I'll order another for my DT 770's too :wink:

I'm using the AWC right now and I don't feel it it's on my head ^^. Indeed the best BT headphone I ever have. I use it for everything, not just music.

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #580 of 784

beyerdynamic EDT 770 V ear pad set velour silver-grey for DT 770 PRO series and
https://www.ebay.com/itm/beyerdynam...r-grey-for-DT-770-PRO-series-and/113690554888

beyerdynamic EDT 770 VB Ear Pad Set Velour in black for MMX 300, Custom Studio
https://www.ebay.com/itm/beyerdynam...-black-for-MMX-300-Custom-Studio/113445968174

Both sold by beyerdynamic-usa

Woah, you're rocking some cool, stuff in there, friend! :)

Sep 7, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #581 of 784
Woah, you're rocking some cool, stuff in there, friend! :)
Thank you, I'm enjoying hearing a little piece of the "Audiophile Heaven". :L3000:

Amiron BT Wirelessly enjoying:

Verdi - Anna Netrebko
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/56b530f2-8306-4d56-8d95-1c991f2fc68b
https://tidal.com/browse/artist/17205

Visions Of Prokofiev - Lisa Batiashvili
https://tidal.com/browse/album/84165949
https://tidal.com/browse/artist/3502138

Deutsche Grammophon: DG 120
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/1327b4c3-e4e4-4ca9-ab6f-8ae1fe95055f

Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen
https://tidal.com/browse/album/79171219

Stunning playback through BT on the Amiron Wireless Copper :)

Found and copied @alexzogh's "headphone test songs" into my own playlist for Tidal; enjoying the "ball dropping" first track "Bubbles":

Still on BT with the Amiron Wieless Copper, I don't feel a need to "plug in" - and with "24-30 hours"(?) of play time I don't need to worry about charging up my TWS's - and swapping them for my duplicate to keep the fun going.

I'm looking into ordering a replacement cable - the stock cable is too short and thin, but it sounds great.

Update: I sure hope someone else posts in this thread soon, or this is going to be a really long post...

I'm getting great bass kick and tight response from the Amiron Wireless Copper through the D90 MQA / A90 running Tidal MQA hosted from my PC. There is no lack of bass if feed with a good source and driver.

I was reading a D90 MQA review and he mentioned and I listened to Tidal MQA Masters of Norah Jones...and I compared playing them through my M15 / D90 MQA with and without MQA enabled (settings in Tidal) and now I am rocking out to Bob Moses, with that bass kicking out of the Amiron Wireless Wired... I'll leave the links for your enjoyment:

Bob Moses - Desire (2020)
https://tidal.com/browse/album/151963514

I found this Bob Moses track Outlier from the "What are you listening to now" thread here on Head-fi, check out the youtube version of "Outlier" - then if you have access - stream it from Tidal with and without MQA full unfolding - it's illustrative and enjoyable to be able to hear the differences in fine detail through the Amiron Wireless (wired) Copper.

Bob Moses Outlier - Desire, track 5
https://tidal.com/browse/track/151963519

It really helps to have such a high order resolving headphone like the Amiron Wireless (Wired) for such comparisons.

The first thing I noticed compared to the Youtube playback is how the MQA recording even in 44.1khz as processed to remove temporal smearing let me hear placement as individual points rather than smeared out.

Everybody can hear this with Tidal MQA Masters - no unfolding needed - it is present in the 44.1khz "container" without MQA processing (it was done in the mastering) but when I switched on exclusive mode to the D90 MQA and full MQA folding was enabled the space spread out and made me smile.

Most of this I've heard before with other headphones and IEMs, but the Beyerdynamic Tesla drivers really bring a big difference to the fineness of the resolution in comparison to what I've heard before.

Not to forget about Norah, here is my Norah Jones MQA Masters Playlist.
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/c80dc8e0-56e7-461d-9c1f-9d52b6197516

Enabled BT aptx-HD in the Amiron Wireless - from power off, while clicking and holding power up switch 2 seconds - simultaneously swipe up on touch pad - then connected to the FiiO M15 via BT and it's grand. Not easy to switch quickly back and forth between aptx / aptx-HD like on newer Android 10 (9 too?).
Screenshot_20200909-093250.png
Now I need to get an aptx-HD BT card for Windows 10, looking at these, still looking, any suggestions?:

Creative BT-W3 30% discount -> TAKE30
https://us.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-bt-w3

Avantree DG60 Long Range Bluetooth 5.0 USB Audio Adapter for PC
https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Superior-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B0881X4MB2

I may end up needing to wait for a new Zen 3 Motherboard with built-in BT with newer BT 5.x + aptxHD, unless I can find a Hi-Res dongle with aptxHD. Any suggestions?

Update: I've received and initially tested the Avantree DG60, and it does indeed connect via aptxHD - I haven't tried the aptx LL yet. One negative is that the Amiron Wireless touch volume control is a bit accelerated controlling the DG60 volume - it can jump to fast high/low - so I prefer using the Windows volume stepping to control volume of the DG60.

The DG60 has resolution limitations - I don't yet 100% recommend the DG60 right now paired with the Amiron Wireless to get aptxHD on Windows PC because of the DG60 underlying USB resolution limits, but I need more time A/B'ing as the DG60 sounds great with the Amiron Wireless on aptxHD... a next gen Avantree DG60 "II" with higher resolution USB connection might be the one to get - at least test - when it eventually arrives.

Also, I think I already heard this, but it's nice to have official confirmation from Beyerdynamic, the Amiron Wireless batter is replaceable by a BD service center, so we don't need to toss our Amiron Wireless when the battery goes soft. I'll see if I can find the details on how to DIY this change and get a battery or two for the long haul.
https://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc...eable-battery-in-Amiron-wireless-be-replaced-

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #582 of 784

Hi @hmscott :) I see you are enjoying yours AWC! :)) I'm using V770 pads from beginning and are super happy with them after months of everyday use :) Are you familiar with linux? Every BT 4+ (even my old notebook with BT 3 can) can do APTx HD :), there is repository that adds this functionality to Linux OS e.g. Ubuntu.

Thank you for your Tidal PL tips I'll play it later today :)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #583 of 784
So I've had these for about 2 years now. Overall I am happy with them, but they have some quirks.

Negatives:
- Sub par sound isolation (I don't have many comparisons here, but compared to my SE535 IEM's, they are poor). It's basically impossible to listen to podcasts or audio books in a work environment/bus.
- Controls are bad. Power button is a chore. Trying to hold the power button to turn them off usually ends up in turning them off then on again. Happens at least 60-70% of the times. Touch is a disaster. Give me physical buttons!
- Built-in amplifier is too weak. Play any music with deep hard bass, and the headphones clip. Try the same music wired (for example from my MacBook Pro) and there is no problem (I also have this problem on the Shure wireless BT adapter for my SE535 btw).
- Weak BT signal strength. I can barely use them on my TV which is 2,5 meters away.

Positives:
- Very good sound quality from both wireless and wired. Although, wired is a step up.
- Comfortable to wear.
- For the most part, a good headphone that I can use for music, movies, games, YouTube etc in most situations.

I just got some Dekoni Elite ear pads with sheepskin leather. Totally worth it in terms of better isolation and to get a more focused sound with less leakage, which in turn gives slightly more bass. I feel more close to the music now. They do get a bit warmer, so maybe I should've gone withe perforated ones...

Are there any ear pads that are kinda like the LCD2's ear pads? where it's a lot thicker on the bottom part of your ear? I mean, would be fun to check out the difference.

Also looking for a good cable to have on my desktop PC (2-3 meters long). Anybody know of where to get one that fits?

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #584 of 784
So I've had these for about 2 years now. Overall I am happy with them, but they have some quirks.

Negatives:
- Sub par sound isolation (I don't have many comparisons here, but compared to my SE535 IEM's, they are poor). It's basically impossible to listen to podcasts or audio books in a work environment/bus.
- Controls are bad. Power button is a chore. Trying to hold the power button to turn them off usually ends up in turning them off then on again. Happens at least 60-70% of the times. Touch is a disaster. Give me physical buttons!
- Built-in amplifier is too weak. Play any music with deep hard bass, and the headphones clip. Try the same music wired (for example from my MacBook Pro) and there is no problem (I also have this problem on the Shure wireless BT adapter for my SE535 btw).
- Weak BT signal strength. I can barely use them on my TV which is 2,5 meters away.

Positives:
- Very good sound quality from both wireless and wired. Although, wired is a step up.
- Comfortable to wear.
- For the most part, a good headphone that I can use for music, movies, games, YouTube etc in most situations.

I just got some Dekoni Elite ear pads with sheepskin leather. Totally worth it in terms of better isolation and to get a more focused sound with less leakage, which in turn gives slightly more bass. I feel more close to the music now. They do get a bit warmer, so maybe I should've gone withe perforated ones...

Are there any ear pads that are kinda like the LCD2's ear pads? where it's a lot thicker on the bottom part of your ear? I mean, would be fun to check out the difference.

Also looking for a good cable to have on my desktop PC (2-3 meters long). Anybody know of where to get one that fits?

I have both Amiron W and SE535 with BT2 dongle and have not experienced any clipping. Are you using Aptx-HD codec?

For cable, I'd suggest Hart Audio HC-1 but with a customization to use a long version of the connector (extra $2 I think). Since AW cannot be ran balanced, you'd have to pick a single-ended interconnect or termination.
https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/hc-1-3-5mm-trs

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #585 of 784
I have both Amiron W and SE535 with BT2 dongle and have not experienced any clipping. Are you using Aptx-HD codec?

For cable, I'd suggest Hart Audio HC-1 but with a customization to use a long version of the connector (extra $2 I think). Since AW cannot be ran balanced, you'd have to pick a single-ended interconnect or termination.
https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/hc-1-3-5mm-trs
No, I basically exclusively use AAC. I don’t think I have any aptx hd sources (MacBook Pro 2017, iPhone XS Max, lg c7, AppleTV 4K). I experience it on Thom Yorkes latest album (dawn chorus for example), and TOOL’s 7empest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back