Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless
May 10, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #556 of 784
Hi all!

I've been thinking about splurging into some Amiron cans to replace my trusty DT770 Pro 80 which have served me for many years but I'm in seriously doubting between the convenience of the Wireless version (bluetooth, easy to drive) and the price and the potential SQ of the Home version, so if any of you have listened to both it would help me decide if you tell me about the differences in the quality and the sound signature.

Thanks!
I have them both and love them both. The Home has a lot of nicely done and detailed bass and the Wireless has detailed treble that are not fatiguing at all. They are laid back. It depends on your preferences and budget. One thing is for sure, despite the same name 'Amiron', they both sounds very different from each other.

May 10, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #557 of 784
As another great point of comparison the KEF Space one Wireless is pretty fantastic sounding. I would be interested in trying the Amiron wireless if the price comes down or I find it used. I have owned a DT880/770 and liked both quite a bit. Loved the extension of the DT880 bass even if the quantity was a little on the light side.

May 10, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #558 of 784
I have them both and love them both. The Home has a lot of nicely done and detailed bass and the Wireless has detailed treble that are not fatiguing at all. They are laid back. It depends on your preferences and budget. One thing is for sure, despite the same name 'Amiron', they both sounds very different from each other.

Thanks for your reply. This is with the wireless wired? Does wiring them change the sound a lot vs bluetooth (I would use them 90% of the time wired).

May 10, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #559 of 784
Thanks for your reply. This is with the wireless wired? Does wiring them change the sound a lot vs bluetooth (I would use them 90% of the time wired).
Wired is the best in terms of latency. Wether wired or wireless, the sounds are the same. I noticed latency when using bluetooth but maybe that's because of using VLC on my phone. I use wired like 99,9% anyway.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #560 of 784
Finally got these cans. I'm liking them a lot, they have a somewhat similar signature to my DT770 80 except they're better in everything (bass, mids, clarity, less piercing treble). For the record, I find the clamping force more than enough (actually higher than my DT770's, but those have 9 years) and didn't have isolation problems with the pads. I don't know if my non-thin head helps here or Beyerdynamic have fixed that. Also, the pads have worn out a little in these days and now they aren't so hard.

But there is a thing that I find somewhat surprising: being 32ohms and with decent sensitivity (100) I expected them to be much easier to drive when wired. On my macbook pro 2018 the maximum volume is just what I would listen at for some generes (but I would like to have some headroom for example for classical music), more or less like the maximum volume when running them wireless, but in my Samsung Galaxy S10e the volume is much lower and they sound "thin". This is fixed using by Meizu Pro HIFI dongle which makes them sound better (not thin) and increase the volume a little (not much). Using my old Fiio A3/E11K either with the phone or the macbook in low gain mode the maximum volume is low. In high gain mode I can reach my preferred volume with headroom but it starts to get some distortion once I go over what the maximum volume I could get wireless (maybe because of the output impedance in high gain?).

This is important for me since as I said in my previous comment I use them 90% of the time wired while I'm working with the computer so I don't have to worry about battery drain.

Can anybody recommend an amplifier that will drive these cans to high or deafening (it needed) volume without distortion? Doesn't need to be portable but it would be nice if I didn't have to sell the car to buy it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #561 of 784
Can I ask some advice. How long does it take to charge the Amiron Wireless for completely drained? It says 2 hours on the blurb but wondering what your experience is? Also what is the best charger wall plug to use? Don’t want to do any damage. Thanks all in advance for your thoughts.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #562 of 784
Can I ask some advice. How long does it take to charge the Amiron Wireless for completely drained? It says 2 hours on the blurb but wondering what your experience is? Also what is the best charger wall plug to use? Don’t want to do any damage. Thanks all in advance for your thoughts.
Hi, my experience is cca. 3.5h charge time from 10% remaining battery capacity. I'm using charger from Galaxy S8 that I own without any issues.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #563 of 784
Hi, my experience is cca. 3.5h charge time from 10% remaining battery capacity. I'm using charger from Galaxy S8 that I own without any issues.
Thanks. My first charge from dead was c. 3 1/2 to 4 hours which sounds ok then. Was just a bit worried because the spec says 2 hours.

I love the headphones though and am now thinking of purchasing an Astell SR25 to use in place of an iPhone 11. Funny how one purchase triggers another......

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #564 of 784
Thanks. My first charge from dead was c. 3 1/2 to 4 hours which sounds ok then. Was just a bit worried because the spec says 2 hours.

I love the headphones though and am now thinking of purchasing an Astell SR25 to use in place of an iPhone 11. Funny how one purchase triggers another......
I'm using APT X HD patched Galaxy S5 with LineageOS installed for playback :) Cheap and working solution.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #566 of 784
Can anybody recommend an amplifier that will drive these cans to high or deafening (it needed) volume without distortion? Doesn't need to be portable but it would be nice if I didn't have to sell the car to buy it.

i‘ve used them with a Chord Mojo and that one is portable, costs less than most cars, and sounds fantastic. Well worth trying out, if you ask me.

Jun 23, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #567 of 784
Does the wired version have better quality audio?
To me, no. In my recollection Amiron wired is voiced differently, warmer, and despite being closed the Wireless seemed more spacious. Plus Beyerdynamic tunes their headphones acoustically, then add the electronics. So you can always use the Amiron Wireless with a cable and enjoy them with maybe even slightly better sound quality.

Even if you don't need Bluetooth, I'd still suggest to give both models a listen since their tuning is different.

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #570 of 784
@dsuser In principle you can experiment with felt pads in front of the driver if you're looking for a purely acoustical solution. Otherwise carefully applied EQ might help, pad swapping is also an option. I'd stay away from pleather if upper mids are too strong for you already though.

on the other hand, the Amiron supports Beyerdynamics MIY, i.e. Sound profiles tailored to your ears/hearing. Did you try the companion app yet? There's some mode to adjust the profile of the headphones, anything is stored on the headphone itself, so it works with every Bluetooth source after configuring it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back