Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Dec 21, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #2,598 of 2,668
Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #2,600 of 2,668
just bought a good condition used Amiron and was initially underwhelmed.
have been using dekoni hybrid pads on my 1990 for a while, so i thought i'd pop them on.
now i will need to order another set as, for me, they totally transform the Amiron (as they did the 1990)

got an otl tube amp on the way, so cant wait to try both on that.
I am very interested in your experience with dekoni hybrid pad as I have been keen on pad replacements on my amiron home so could you describe how they transformed the amiron home and did you use dekoni choice hybrid pads or dekoni Elite Hybrid pads.

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #2,602 of 2,668
I wonder how it compares to the 6602s? Both seemed to be tuned for consumer use.
If you mean diverging from being neutral and being easy to listen to and bridging genres, possibly.
But the 2 phones are quite different overall, relatively speaking the S2 continues with the HD6XX presentation and although it has more extended bass than its predecessors it is still a mid-centric intimate sounding phone, the Amiron Home is IMHO more linear spreading out the the sound-field and a V shape presentation, a more recessed at arms length mid-range (my preference), deeper bass extension and although the Amiron may sound darker (flatter) overall it still has more and extended, clearer highs when called upon.
If one has a strong preference in how they want their phones to present the music then they will have a bias to one or the other. Although my preferences are for a wider and more expansive musical presentation I still prefer all my phones to have distinct characteristics and sound as dissimilar as possible.
So basically I'd say the 2 phones could compliment each other but if one wishes for a HD660S2 with more bass I'd look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #2,603 of 2,668
Funny, I have had a vinyl copy of this for years the CD since it came out and I was looking for a streaming version, oddly it never came up on Tidal under Charles Wuorinen or Varese and then it popped up under suggestions the other day....??????
Haven't had an opportunity yet to try Qobuz, we only got it in Canada this year.

If interested, here's an Electro-Acoustic piece I did in 83 and I dedicated it as a Homage to Edgar Varèse's 100th (December 22, 1883, Paris).... it was premiered in 1985 CEC - Communauté électroacoustique Canadienne, Concordia University Montreal.

Very engaging piece, Rob. Thank you for sharing. I believe that various forms of modern classical, "free" jazz and aleotoric music are very helpful in testing headphones, particularly for soundstage and percussive qualities, since they almost demand active listening.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #2,604 of 2,668
Question for any long term users, still enjoying my Amiron Home, except for one annoying, and I see a common occurrence, the creaking swivel joints at the ear cups.
Does this eventually go away, needs lubricating or is seen as a manufacturing flaw and should be returned to the supplier or Beyerdynamic.
I've sent a similar inquiry to Beyerdynamic so should hear from them next week.
If it is only a case of lubricating I've no problem with that but thought I'd wait before greasing things up. :sunglasses:

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #2,605 of 2,668
Question for any long term users, still enjoying my Amiron Home, except for one annoying, and I see a common occurrence, the creaking swivel joints at the ear cups.
Does this eventually go away, needs lubricating or is seen as a manufacturing flaw and should be returned to the supplier or Beyerdynamic.
I've sent a similar inquiry to Beyerdynamic so should hear from them next week.
If it is only a case of lubricating I've no problem with that but thought I'd wait before greasing things up. :sunglasses:

Many Beyers have QC issues from the sliders to the headbands and earpads. Even up to the Tesla models.... which is why Beyerdynamic has left a sour taste in my mouth.

My dt48 / 480 will last forever, and I can throw them 100 feet in the air, and they will still work. Also can be used as self defence tool should someone try and steal them off my head.

At this point, i'm just fine as long as there is no rattle on the drivers and sound output is about even on both channels.

The customer service was amazing years ago. I've had some terrible experiences with them of late... and given the run a round... for earpads!

As for earpads, these are more the pleather types. No issues with velour pads/ velour coolmax etc.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #2,606 of 2,668
Many Beyers have QC issues from the sliders to the headbands and earpads. Even up to the Tesla models.... which is why Beyerdynamic has left a sour taste in my mouth.

My dt48 / 480 will last forever, and I can throw them 100 feet in the air, and they will still work. Also can be used as self defence tool should someone try and steal them off my head.

At this point, i'm just fine as long as there is no rattle on the drivers and sound output is about even on both channels.

The customer service was amazing years ago. I've had some terrible experiences with them of late... and given the run a round... for earpads!

As for earpads, these are more the pleather types. No issues with velour pads/ velour coolmax etc.
They do need to get some stuff together, I gather it's a restructuring thing going on the past few years but the thing is will it improve or not.

I haven't noticed any QC issues with their newest drivers but I don't like the headband on the DT 700/900 Pro x, I really hope they release something new this year for their 100th anniversary. What worries me about Sennheiser is they can't easily design a new driver system right now and are stuck with tweaking their current designs until they can build new manufacturing plants. Problem is Senns usually don't satisfy me sonically like Beyers and some other headphones, I get the sense that something is missing and something about them eventually bothers me to the point it becomes a detriment and causes me to lose my appreciation of most of them.

My next flagship will likely be the Austrian Audio Composer (waiting to hear more about long term impressions, etc.) or the Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000 but that will be a while.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #2,607 of 2,668
They do need to get some stuff together, I gather it's a restructuring thing going on the past few years but the thing is will it improve or not.

I haven't noticed any QC issues with their newest drivers but I don't like the headband on the DT 700/900 Pro x, I really hope they release something new this year for their 100th anniversary. What worries me about Sennheiser is they can't easily design a new driver system right now and are stuck with tweaking their current designs until they can build new manufacturing plants. Problem is Senns don't satisfy me sonically like Beyers and some other headphones, I get the sense that something is missing and something about them eventually always bothers me to the point it becomes a detriment and causes me to lose my appreciation of them.

My next flagship will likely be the Austrian Audio Composer (waiting to hear more about long term impressions, etc.) or the Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000 but that will be a while.
I had my thoughts about the dt700/dt900 headband at the start but they turned out to be one of the most comfortable for me. DT900 is my go-to conference/work headphone with fox as my mic and I got a pair of mx150 at the office. Both I use (happily) for 7 hours a day.

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #2,608 of 2,668
I had my thoughts about the dt700/dt900 headband at the start but they turned out to be one of the most comfortable for me. DT900 is my go-to conference/work headphone with fox as my mic and I got a pair of mx150 at the office. Both I use (happily) for 7 hours a day.
Oh after some wear in the headband got more comfortable? Some headbands are like that. I do want to revisit those headphones or see what’s new as I really liked both the DT 700/900 Pro X sonically.

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #2,609 of 2,668
Oh after some wear in the headband got more comfortable? Some headbands are like that. I do want to revisit those headphones or see what’s new as I really liked both the DT 700/900 Pro X sonically.
I sent both back when they came out, rebought both as b-stock due to their sound cause it is a step up from the 770/990 but damn that comfort....
Bend, stretch and bend a bit more and somehow in the end they seem to disappear for me. Very not so at the start.

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #2,610 of 2,668
As one of the oldest and established headphone makers I guess they need to pull up their socks. It's my first rodeo with Beyerdynamic so the build quality has let me down a bit but their sound signature is quite good, thought Sennheiser had that wrapped up but as noted earlier I'm preferring the Amiron in many cases over my HD660S2 and the HD800S on some occasions.

My next flagship will likely be the Austrian Audio Composer (waiting to hear more about long term impressions, etc.) .........
The Composer may be very good, was just listening with my AKG K872s, almost the complete opposite of the Amiron, and I am very curious as to what Austrian Audio has come up with, sadly I've promised myself not to pursue any more mega buck phones as in the end end they all still sound like.....headphones. lol
If I did not have my stereo speaker set-up it might be a different scenario, until then headphones are always a compromise. :sunglasses:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back