….and back in the days of old.
IMG_9386.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #2,642 of 2,669
Nice!

….opposite for me, headphones have taken a back seat.:beyersmile:

….and back in the days of old.
IMG_9386.jpeg
Oh man look at that! That is great, thanks for sharing 😁 I've always dabbled with music but only picked up playing keys a little under 2 years ago now. When I finish my apprenticeship next year May I plan to sign up at the music school I have down the street so I can take up some proper lessons and level up farther lol

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #2,643 of 2,669
Sadly just as I thought these were here to stay, playing Jean-Michel Jarre's "Equinoxe Infinity" last night the driver distortion set in way too early making them unlistenable, at equal volume on the HD820, HD630VB and the AKG K872 they played clean without any apparent distortion. ????
Not too sure what Beyerdynamic did once I sent these in to be looked at but since their return happy to report I've yet to have any issues with base distortion.

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #2,644 of 2,669
Such a busy thread hard to get a word in edgewise... :beyersmile:
But the the Amiron Home long past being FOTM there's no FOMO but it is a subtle phone, doesn't really bring ones attention to anything in particular but I've been finding the time passes once they're on my head and listening to music longer than intended. :thinking:

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #2,646 of 2,669
I still have mine only due to lack of interest in people trying to buy them. I went back to them the other night but the Arya v2 has ruined any other headphones for me 😄

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #2,647 of 2,669
I still have mine only due to lack of interest in people trying to buy them
Yep...like I said.
the the Amiron Home long past being FOTM
...Not having owned a pair of Beyerdynmic after being in this hobby for over 50 years...better late than never. :beyersmile:
...but figured as one of the oldest headphone manufacturers they must be doing something right, and they do, no bells and whistles though, just a straight up honest listen.:sunglasses:

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #2,648 of 2,669
Yep...like I said.

...Not having owned a pair of Beyerdynmic after being in this hobby for over 50 years...better late than never. :beyersmile:
...but figured as one of the oldest headphone manufacturers they must be doing something right, and they do, no bells and whistles though, just a straight up honest listen.:sunglasses:
Yeah Beyer quite literally invented the dynamic headphone and the high-fidelity headphone. Basically knowledge of dynamic headphone design originates from Beyer. They are definitely worth trying, especially if you're one who enjoys dynamic headphones. They do have a reputation for their treble, but on a good system even the trebly Beyers have fantastic treble imho. The reason I love Beyers has to do with what they do subtly well, it's not an obvious thing. Just a feeling I get that there is something fundamentally right about their sound.

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #2,649 of 2,669
Yeah Beyer quite literally invented the dynamic headphone and the high-fidelity headphone. Basically knowledge of dynamic headphone design originates from Beyer. They are definitely worth trying, especially if you're one who enjoys dynamic headphones. They do have a reputation for their treble, but on a good system even the trebly Beyers have fantastic treble imho. The reason I love Beyers has to do with what they do subtly well, it's not an obvious thing. Just a feeling I get that there is something fundamentally right about their sound.
I prefer all the Beyers I've heard over the Sennheisers I've heard. Better soundstage, imaging, tuning. Interesting how Sennheiser is so widely praised yet Beyer is the one that gets flak. I think the only thing Beyer needs to do is introduce a rival to the HD 800s. Massive soundstage but better bass tuning, sweet mids. IMO Sennheiser is king of the midrange but their bass is always so lacking

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #2,650 of 2,669
I prefer all the Beyers I've heard over the Sennheisers I've heard. Better soundstage, imaging, tuning. Interesting how Sennheiser is so widely praised yet Beyer is the one that gets flak. I think the only thing Beyer needs to do is introduce a rival to the HD 800s. Massive soundstage but better bass tuning, sweet mids. IMO Sennheiser is king of the midrange but their bass is always so lacking
I agree as well, I like Sennheiser, but I always thought Beyer was better overall. Sennheiser is excellent at mids, but sadly it seems to often come with a cost of some sort which often hurts them for me.

Problem with the HD 600 and HD 650 they have too much energy in the upper-mids and lower-treble and also lacks some refinement in this area, the HD 600 has roughness/grittiness here and the HD 650 sounds 'hard' here. The HD 660S2 has a bit too little energy here though it does address the bass problem better than other Senns and its refinement is good enough. The HD 660S is a bit dull sounding. The R70x which is the closest I heard to the HD 6xx line outside of Sennheiser manages to hit the middle ground just right, it doesn't sound dynamically dull like the 660S1 can (if it does, it's not driven well enough or poor synergy). It has good bass extension for an open dynamic, better soundstaging, and imaging and nothing really seems wrong in any way. It’s the most neutral headphone I’ve probably come across. Some find it lacking bite and a bit soft in the upper mids and treble (it extends well though), I think this may be why some think it lacks detail (it does not imho). But I do think the S2 does have the fidelity edge over the R70x, but I don’t think the HD 600, 650, or 660 S does.

My two favorite dynamic headphones that can be had for $300-400 USD new are the Amiron Home and the ATH-R70x. Eveything else that I tried in terms of dynamics currently in that price range have been bothersome in some way for me, including the HD 660S2 but I have yet to give up on the S2 as I realized the clamp was a source of many of my woes with it, some reason it clamps the most of all the HD 6xx headphones I tried. If I can address my fatigue (hopefully it was just the clamp making me more sensitive to the sound) with the S2 then it's possible it may join the list. The Amiron Home to me is the most musically complete dynamic I’ve heard around its price, it’s subtly seductive in its sound.

I went into a foray into a lot of different Sennheisers the past couple years as I never gave the brand a proper shot, been a bit let down overall to be honest as many were mixed bags. I liked them and grew to appreciate them more but it feels there was always a catch. What I liked the most is probably the HD 600 (if it's treble agreed with me it would be my favorite Sennheiser). The HD 660S is fine, but also nothing special for me. The HD 650 sometimes I enjoy it and other times I hate it. The HD 660S2 will be my favorite if I can address the fatigue. I don't have much experience with the HD 800/S, only heard them briefly. Also haven't heard the new HD 490 Pro yet.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #2,651 of 2,669
The HD 660S2 will be my favorite if I can address the fatigue.
Of late I've been reaching for the Amiron over the 660S2 but the two are rather different, like all phones both take a bit of acclimatization but over time the Beyerdynamic have a better disappearing act for long term listening. At some point I will need to try another Beyerdynamic, D1990?, as the Amiron display none of the treble peakiness I've read about with Beyerdynamic.
I don't have much experience with the HD 800/S, only heard them briefly.
Totally different aural perspective and unique sounding, a different class of headphone, now waiting on the Grell OAE1 to see, hear, what Axel's been up too. :sunglasses:
Also haven't heard the new HD 490 Pro yet
Not really on my bucket list, IMO just another variation of a theme, maybe sounding a little different.

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #2,652 of 2,669
Of late I've been reaching for the Amiron over the 660S2 but the two are rather different, like all phones both take a bit of acclimatization but over time the Beyerdynamic have a better disappearing act for long term listening. At some point I will need to try another Beyerdynamic, D1990?, as the Amiron display none of the treble peakiness I've read about with Beyerdynamic.

Totally different aural perspective and unique sounding, a different class of headphone, now waiting on the Grell OAE1 to see, hear, what Axel's been up too. :sunglasses:

Not really on my bucket list, IMO just another variation of a theme, maybe sounding a little different.
Yeah they are, the S2 may end up my favorite Senn I’ve owned but doesn’t displace the Tesla Beyers for me. The Amiron Home is very good at disappearing once you get used to it. The DT 1990 will show more of the peak but I only found it bothersome on certain systems. On a good system the peak just comes across as well extended and somewhat bright treble. On poorer quality systems especially cheap op-amp amps the treble does get sharp and unpleasant. That’s been my experience at least. Even the widely considered very bright DT 990 has bright yet nice treble on a good system, especially the 600 ohm variant.

Yeah I am thinking if I ever delve deeper into Senns it will be the very different HD 8xx line. But that won’t be for a long time. I’m curious about the OAE1 myself. Seems to take some influence from the T1 but takes the driver angle even further.

I want to hear the HD 490 but not that badly. It’s another variant of the HD 560S driver and likely has similar characteristics to it.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #2,654 of 2,669
I own the DT1990. I have read that the capsules of the Amiron come from the DT1770, the capsules of DT1990 and DT1770 are not quite the same.
Now my question is, can you achieve approximately the same sound as the Amiron on the DT1990 with the pads + absorber discs from the Amiron?

(capsules = drivers = system set)

https://www.beyerdynamic.de/system-set-dt-1990.html
DT 1990 PRO
Item number 916825

https://www.beyerdynamic.de/tesla-system-set-250-ohm.html
Amiron home, DT 1770 PRO
Item number 916315

Users who are viewing this thread

Back