Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Jan 12, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #1,696 of 2,669
What does the Amiron Home makes it much easier to drive on mobile devices? My cousin confirmed he experiences it too. When using my 880, I have to have the volume on 100% while this one only needs to be at 60% or lesser, haven't tested it fully.

I wish there would be Amiron Home Copper version like its Wireless Copper brother. I have the wireless copper and it's one of the sexiest headphone. Although they are the Amirons, they do have a different sound.

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #1,697 of 2,669
What does the Amiron Home makes it much easier to drive on mobile devices? My cousin confirmed he experiences it too. When using my 880, I have to have the volume on 100% while this one only needs to be at 60% or lesser, haven't tested it fully.

I wish there would be Amiron Home Copper version like its Wireless Copper brother. I have the wireless copper and it's one of the sexiest headphone. Although they are the Amirons, they do have a different sound.

Look at the efficiency ratings which actually tells you how easy a headphone is to drive, moreso than impedance. Also the stronger magnet on the Amiron Home which is a Tesla driver is allows for more efficiency.

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #1,698 of 2,669
Look at the efficiency ratings which actually tells you how easy a headphone is to drive, moreso than impedance. Also the stronger magnet on the Amiron Home which is a Tesla driver is allows for more efficiency.
I see, so that explains it.

I don't see the efficiency ratings on the box.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #1,699 of 2,669
I see, so that explains it.

I don't see the efficiency ratings on the box.

My bad, I meant sensitivity rating, which means how efficient it is to power. It will be listed as Nominal SPL on the box. For the Amiron it’s 102 dB (1mW /500 Hz).

SPL means sound pressure level. On the DT 880 it’s 96 dB.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #1,700 of 2,669
I meant sensitivity rating. It will be listed as Nominal SPL on the box. For the Amiron it’s 102 dB (1mW /500 Hz).

This is correct but its important to note that the Amiron has a bit odd FR response, so even though it gets loud quickly at 500hz some of the rest of FR band require more power. The Reference Audio Analyzer site did a calculation averaging the voltage needs for all the frequencies and came up with 96.77 dB/mW which is closer to the truth to get it properly loud. It is sensitive enough to get a fair amount of volume of a smartphone but needs a amp to get as much out of it as possible.

I find the relatively high sensitivity of the Tesla drivers to be somewhat of a double edged sword, its nice that you can get it loud fairly easily, but the combination of 250ohm impedance and the higher sensitivity means you have a high chance of getting noise if your amp has any kind of issues. For the DT1990 I think this is a very positive thing as you would want to make sure there is no noise or other issues before making a mix, but can be a bit annoying for home listening with something like the AMiron.

I got hiss of a Burson Play when I had that and a DT1990 while the Sennheiser HD6xx was dead quiet with the same amp in spite of being the same impedance. I didnt get hiss with my Koss Porta Pro off it either in spite of it being lower impedance and about the same sensitivity.

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #1,701 of 2,669
This is correct but its important to note that the Amiron has a bit odd FR response, so even though it gets loud quickly at 500hz some of the rest of FR band require more power. The Reference Audio Analyzer site did a calculation averaging the voltage needs for all the frequencies and came up with 96.77 dB/mW which is closer to the truth to get it properly loud. It is sensitive enough to get a fair amount of volume of a smartphone but needs a amp to get as much out of it as possible.

I find the relatively high sensitivity of the Tesla drivers to be somewhat of a double edged sword, its nice that you can get it loud fairly easily, but the combination of 250ohm impedance and the higher sensitivity means you have a high chance of getting noise if your amp has any kind of issues. For the DT1990 I think this is a very positive thing as you would want to make sure there is no noise or other issues before making a mix, but can be a bit annoying for home listening with something like the AMiron.

I got hiss of a Burson Play when I had that and a DT1990 while the Sennheiser HD6xx was dead quiet with the same amp in spite of being the same impedance. I didnt get hiss with my Koss Porta Pro off it either in spite of it being lower impedance and about the same sensitivity.

That is interesting. They do have a unique FR response, I would say the T1.2 does as well.

Though speaking of noise I have two DT 480’s (one 25 Ohm and one 200 Ohm) which picks up an incredible amount of amp noise if the amp is noisy. The Amiron Home picks up no where near the noise. The Nighthawk also picks up a lot more amp noise than the Amiron, which is lower impedance and my most sensitive headphone. The DT 480 200 Ohm is the hardest of all my headphones to drive yet picks up more amp noise than the Nighthawk, though the DT 480 have some of the strangest amplification behavior of any headphone I’ve come across. I wonder what exactly makes a headphone sensitive to amp noise. Those headphones made me realize the multibit dac module in my Asgard 3 adds a lot of noise to the amp and when I use external dacs the noise goes away.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #1,702 of 2,669
That is interesting. They do have a unique FR response, I would say the T1.2 does as well.

Though speaking of noise I have two DT 480’s (one 25 Ohm and one 200 Ohm) which picks up an incredible amount of amp noise if the amp is noisy. The Amiron Home picks up no where near the noise. The Nighthawk also picks up a lot more amp noise than the Amiron, which is lower impedance and my most sensitive headphone. The DT 480 200 Ohm is the hardest of all my headphones to drive yet picks up more amp noise than the Nighthawk, though the DT 480 have some of the strangest amplification behavior of any headphone I’ve come across. I wonder what exactly makes a headphone sensitive to amp noise. Those headphones made me realize the multibit dac module in my Asgard 3 adds a lot of noise to the amp and when I use external dacs the noise goes away.

That is interesting, I do wonder why exactly some headphones are so sensitive to noise, its a strange thing. I wish more reviewers would try amps with headphones that pick up noise. Its a little unfortunate most people who review amps use things like the HD6xx which I have found to almost never have issues with hiss and the like.

I am glad I didnt get the multibit dac for my Asgard then lol, that is unfortunate, but yeah I guess many people would never notice if other headphones dont pick it up. I suspect multibit dacs need to be in a isolated case more than delta sigma ones do.

Actually one of the things that has most impressed me about the Asgard is that its got no noise at all with any headphone I have tried with it. Its the first amp I have ever had that be the case.

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,703 of 2,669
That is interesting, I do wonder why exactly some headphones are so sensitive to noise, its a strange thing. I wish more reviewers would try amps with headphones that pick up noise. Its a little unfortunate most people who review amps use things like the HD6xx which I have found to almost never have issues with hiss and the like.

I am glad I didnt get the multibit dac for my Asgard then lol, that is unfortunate, but yeah I guess many people would never notice if other headphones dont pick it up. I suspect multibit dacs need to be in a isolated case more than delta sigma ones do.

Actually one of the things that has most impressed me about the Asgard is that its got no noise at all with any headphone I have tried with it. Its the first amp I have ever had that be the case.

I don't either, the DT 480 is the most resolving headphone I've owned and you do hear things in a new light with it, so that could be part of it. I have a HD 6XX and it doesn't reveal noise in amps very well, it's not my go to headphone to analyze amps with.

The weird thing with the Multibit module is it's not a hiss, but rather like a constant fluttering thump at higher volumes and I feel it hurts the overall sound quality. If it had an optical in to the DAC I bet the noise wouldn't exist. Could be USB related. I really like how the multbit dac sounds, but I'm just going to get a Bifrost 2 and get a better multibit dac and not deal with that noise.

I agree, when I use external DAC's on the Asgard 3 the amp is dead silent. Really like that about it, I get the feeling the amp will scale very nicely with a better source. The Amiron Home is a tad boring on the Asgard 3 with the Multibit and I think the noise pollution from the dac is a reason for that as I've heard the Amiron Home much more musical on on it. I mainly use the T1.2 Black on the Asgard 3 Multibit as I find it a much more engaging listen.

Jan 24, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,704 of 2,669
Just got my pair of Amiron Home back after having driver replacement, the burn in have to start over again, It’s using same driver as DT1770 and I play with the dead driver and I found the cap behind the Tesla Magnet is removable, it provides some air damping and tuned the sound for sure, this cap found on T1 Gen.2 but not the old T1 and T70/90, maybe you can experiment at your own risk!
AB4CFCFC-01E1-4EAA-936B-4F33AD6A5F05.jpeg

Jan 24, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #1,705 of 2,669
Just got my pair of Amiron Home back after having driver replacement, the burn in have to start over again, It’s using same driver as DT1770 and I play with the dead driver and I found the cap behind the Tesla Magnet is removable, it provides some air damping and tuned the sound for sure, this cap found on T1 Gen.2 but not the old T1 and T70/90, maybe you can experiment at your own risk!

The DT 1770, DT 1990, and Amiron Home share drivers. I used to own all three and have swapped them before, they did sound different from each other and I was able to tell which was which by sound regardless of the housing it was in, but they all were from different batches. The rubber ring on the back is important as it helps transfer energy to the housing, some vibration damping.

The T1.2 damping cap is different, it’s smaller and goes in the big hole in the magnet.

product1582Beyerdynamic-916825-T1-service-set-2nd-generation.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #1,706 of 2,669
Hey all, I’ve read through all 114 pages of this thread trying to figure out what the Amiron sounds like. My dilemma is this. I have a Pioneer SE Monitor 5 closed back at work where I do most of my listening. I really enjoy them. Their signature has been described as warm, detailed with an emphasis on upper mids with slightly rolled off treble. More musical than analytical. I would love to get an open back that has a similar signature. I’d prefer to stick to the larger companies rather than boutique, like say ZMF. I tend to keep my headphones for years. I’ve had a pair of HD570 for about 20 years. I don’t buy and sell much. It seems like the Amiron would be what I’m looking for. I do most of my listening at home in the evening while finishing up work. My music is somewhat broad ranging, classical, folk, jazz, a little pop, edm on occasion.

But now at the end of the thread you guys are leaning towards the T1.2, which is available for a little more than the Amiron new. Everything I’ve read about the T1 though is that the treble is crazy.

I don’t have an amp at home yet, but I was thinking about the Asgard 3 Dac/Amp combo. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Any different suggestions or information based on your broader experience?

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #1,707 of 2,669
Hey all, I’ve read through all 114 pages of this thread trying to figure out what the Amiron sounds like. My dilemma is this. I have a Pioneer SE Monitor 5 closed back at work where I do most of my listening. I really enjoy them. Their signature has been described as warm, detailed with an emphasis on upper mids with slightly rolled off treble. More musical than analytical. I would love to get an open back that has a similar signature. I’d prefer to stick to the larger companies rather than boutique, like say ZMF. I tend to keep my headphones for years. I’ve had a pair of HD570 for about 20 years. I don’t buy and sell much. It seems like the Amiron would be what I’m looking for. I do most of my listening at home in the evening while finishing up work. My music is somewhat broad ranging, classical, folk, jazz, a little pop, edm on occasion.

But now at the end of the thread you guys are leaning towards the T1.2, which is available for a little more than the Amiron new. Everything I’ve read about the T1 though is that the treble is crazy.

I don’t have an amp at home yet, but I was thinking about the Asgard 3 Dac/Amp combo. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Any different suggestions or information based on your broader experience?
It's very difficult to get a headphones that suits your needs but one thing is for certain: you won't regret if you'll go for the Amiron Home. This headphone also gives me cinema-audio, I can't describe it in words exactly but it's a very lovely headphone. For the Amiron you don't need a dac/amp but for the T1.2, you'll need one. Instead of going for the T1.2, I chose the T5p.2. The only amp I have is the Fiio E10K because of it's simplicity and to save space but it get the job done. Others can help you out with the dac/amps if you'll go for the T1.2.

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #1,708 of 2,669

I’m using an Asgard 3/Bifrost 2 combo with my T1.2 and Amiron Home. The T1.2 is darker and warmer than the Amiron Home on my system. The Amiron has a more noticeable treble and has arguably a cleaner sound whereas the T1.2 has a subtle enveloping warmth, and is more 3D in its sound and imaging.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #1,709 of 2,669
Picked up one of the Amiron Homes from Buydig for 300 bucks and I have quite enjoyed it.

I am not a huge fan of its FR out of the box but with some EQ, it becomes a killer headphone IMO.

I spent a bunch of time comparing my EQed Amiron with the HD660s and man its hard to choose a winner.

Maybe a little unfair, as I guess I could improve the 660s with EQ as well, but aside from adding subbass to it, I dont find EQ to be that great with it, as its got a very specific sound and strengths that I dont think I can really improve on.

They are really simular in terms of detail and general tonality (once the Amiron is EQed a bit), this is definately Beyerdynamics take on the Sennheiser sound. Mids are very very similar sounding.

The HD660s is more exciting and it shoves all the details right in your face. Guitar solos in particular are super engaging and fun on the 660s. Bass is much punchier and drums are super impactful and get you hyped up.

However in compairison to the Amiron, the 660 s sounds congested and honestly can be a bit tiring. They demand your attention at all times and refuse to let it go. They also sound a little muddy at times (when compared to Amiron).

The Amiron is much more relaxed and sounds much more open. Its got much more depth to its soundstaging. Both headphones have stellar imaging but the Amiron has a lot more space to work with.

All the details and maybe even slightly more than the 660 at times are there, but they are less in your face, and are happening in the background. 660 is easier to pick out small details IMO because they are just so in your face.

Amiron gives you the details but you have to focus to get them.

The clarity of the Amiron is just outstanding, its really amazing considering how warm it is. Out of the box it has way too much treble for my taste, but cut it with EQ and it becomes a nice pleasant airiness/clarity.

I love female vocals on the Amiron, it gives them a lovely pleasant tonality while making them sound airy. It still manages to keep some sparkle to them which I think the 660s lacks a bit.

Sibilance is more of a issue with the Amiron than the 660s, cutting the treble a bit helps but its still more noticble if a track is sibilant. I would avoid bright sounding amps with the amiron for that reason.

I think if someone wanted advice on choosing one of these two, it would be as follows.

Do you not want to use a EQ? The 660s

After that, do you want a open/relaxed sound than the Amiron.If you want a in your face, exciting sound, the 660s.

For gaming and movies/general youtube I think the Amiron is better as its got a bit more soundstage and is easier to listen to for a long time.

660s is very tiring mentally for me, though I do actually love it for energetic music, its a ton of fun with metal.

Now I have to choose one as I cant keep both! Decisions,decisions!

This was the parametric EQ I used.

Preamp -2.5db

25hz Q1 2.5db

200hz Q 0.5 -2db

1200hz Q 1.1 2db

2000hz Q 1.2 1db

4000hz Q 2 1db

5250hz Q 4 -3db

6400hz Q 7 2db

7450hz Q 4 -6db

You should give my EQ for the Amiron Home a try. I think you will be blown away by the sound quality improvement. This makes the Amiron sound completely balanced and natural, but keeps its warmish signature in place.

Pre-Amplifying: - 2

50Hz: + 0.5
63Hz: + 0.5
80Hz: - 0.5
100Hz: - 1
125Hz: - 1
160Hz: - 1
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
315Hz: - 1
1kHz: + 0.5
1.25kHz: + 1