Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Nov 28, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #1,411 of 2,668
Indeed, I can't tolerate having any headphone be left with stock tuning. I find faults in everything. A good headphone though can be fixed to sound correct with EQ, while a bad headphone can't. At one point I owned the Hifiman HE400i. I did not like that headphone at all. It has a nasty graininess to the treble at 7kHz. It just can't be EQed out. I also owned the DT770 250 Ohm years ago. It has a very harsh spike at 8kHz that gave me ear pain and headaches. It also can't be completely corrected with EQ. I used to own the DT880 250 Ohm, which also has a spike at 8kHz, but it is not harsh in its character at all like it is on the DT770. I think at the 200 US dollar price point, that the DT880 has to be the best headphone out there. Sure, it can't compete with the Amiron in terms of bass, dynamics, soundstage, imaging, but that is to be expected. The Amiron is a much better headphone, but costs 3 times the price.

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #1,412 of 2,668
Where does your hearing cut off ? The last high frequency I can hear is 18kHz. For me, that EQ I use is completely balanced on the Amiron. I have a slight reduction on that EQ at 8kHz of - 0.5. I don't find the headphone to be spiked at 4kHz though.

I just finished testing it and I couldn't hear any signal past aprox. 13500 using an online tone generator. I didn't realize my hearing was that bad but considering my past and age it is understandable.
EDIT: Looking at the list on page 93 showing age and hearing loss I'm still ahead of the curve. I'm 54 and it list people in their 50's at 20-12K.

Guess it's a good thing that most of the music I listen to doesn't produce any sound that high in the freq. range. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #1,413 of 2,668
You like to play with the EQ way more than I do :)

Of course, most albums are mastered way different, even two albums from the same band can be hugely different, and doing this will eventually allow for the best experience overall

Even so, due to time constraints, I EQ just the headphone, then kind of accept each album as it is :)

No problem, it's a personal taste thing. I'm not pushing everyone should EQ or EQ like I do. Do what makes you happy.
For me, being around the musicians I was around in my 20's and what I learned about music from them I got in the habit of EQing to hear everything that was produced when the music was recorded. It doesn't mean everyone has to do it.
On my home and car audio I normally leave it flat after the receiver does it's adjustments with the included mic. When I EQ with the Amiron Home I don't go up or down more than 2-3 positions.

I'm very happy with the headphones, amp and DAC I have now. I don't plan on buying more cans, amps or DAC's in the future; although I might. I'm happy with what I have now and at my age I'm good with that.
But there are people who enjoy collecting different cans, amp's and DAC's and that is cool too.

What I'm saying is when it comes to music make yourself happy. It's all about what sounds good to you. Tune it to your ear.

EDIT: One other thing I didn't mention but guess I should have; when I'm talking about EQing I only do it with 96000hz and up Flac files. I don't do it with CD's or YouTube music unless I come across a freq. that I find needs reducing. Which so far I haven't.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #1,414 of 2,668
I am still looking for an upgrade cable for my Amiron, preferably having six or eight cores and a 2.5 or 4.4 mm balanced connector.

And I am -very- eager to hear if some Head-fiers have any experiences & recommendations on that.

(I'm aiming for more air, treble extension and clarity in the mids with cable upgrade)

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #1,415 of 2,668
I am still looking for an upgrade cable for my Amiron, preferably having six or eight cores and a 2.5 or 4.4 mm balanced connector.

And I am -very- eager to hear if some Head-fiers have any experiences & recommendations on that.

(I'm aiming for more air, treble extension and clarity in the mids with cable upgrade)

How much are you willing to spend?

Meze makes some awesome cables for their Meze 99 series, and those also work with Amiron :)

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #1,416 of 2,668
How much are you willing to spend?

Meze makes some awesome cables for their Meze 99 series, and those also work with Amiron :)

Thanks for the golden recommendation George!

However, as far as I can see, Meze cables have one ring in the jack whereas Amiron (and T1 & T5p) uses cable with two rings. Are you sure they're compatible & good?

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #1,417 of 2,668
Thanks for the golden recommendation George!

However, as far as I can see, Meze cables have one ring in the jack whereas Amiron (and T1 & T5p) uses cable with two rings. Are you sure they're compatible & good?

The Meze cables surely don't look compatible, and even while used don't look like they'd fit, but they work flawlessly in practice :)

Been using Amiron with Meze typical cables for a good while now :)

I only tested the Meze Balanced and the Meze Silver cable, both of which are good products, but the Silver one is a little expensive... :)

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #1,418 of 2,668
The Meze cables surely don't look compatible, and even while used don't look like they'd fit, but they work flawlessly in practice :)

Been using Amiron with Meze typical cables for a good while now :)

I only tested the Meze Balanced and the Meze Silver cable, both of which are good products, but the Silver one is a little expensive... :)

Hmm, interesting, and nice since I quite like Meze as a company : )
Just contacted Meze Audio to clarify that.
I especially liked 99 series 7n OCC copper one, which has 8 cores with some decent features (like anti-oxidant coating + 3.5mm adapter etc).

However, it's a little bit weird to see prices different in Europen store vs international one. (Same cable $149 on international store whereas it is 149 € = $169 on European one)

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #1,419 of 2,668
Hmm, interesting, and nice since I quite like Meze as a company : )
Just contacted Meze Audio to clarify that.
I especially liked 99 series 7n OCC copper one, which has 8 cores with some decent features (like anti-oxidant coating + 3.5mm adapter etc).

However, it's a little bit weird to see prices different in Europen store vs international one. (Same cable $149 on international store whereas it is 149 € = $169 on European one)

In Europe, there are certain taxes that don't appear in other countries, so it may be connected to whether that tax is included in the price.

Also, I only tested the silver, so I can't say about the Copper one, but actually the copper may be a better idea since it may pair better with the Amiron :)

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #1,420 of 2,668
In Europe, there are certain taxes that don't appear in other countries, so it may be connected to whether that tax is included in the price.

Also, I only tested the silver, so I can't say about the Copper one, but actually the copper may be a better idea since it may pair better with the Amiron :)

Definitely!
I checked the material of Amiron, and it is made of copper. With silver, it may be a little too aggressive.

I will write to the tech sience forum to clarify if it would matter in sonic terms whether the connector has one or two rings.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #1,421 of 2,668
Definitely!
I checked the material of Amiron, and it is made of copper. With silver, it may be a little too aggressive.

I will write to the tech sience forum to clarify if it would matter in sonic terms whether the connector has one or two rings.

It depends on the wiring in the plugs . Sometimes one of the rings is not being used.

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,422 of 2,668
Hey guys,

Just got the Amiron home and the IFi idsd nano black label. Running from a note 9. It seemed that the IFi did not have as much impact as I want, perhaos because Im using power amp hi res, which already sounds really good. Also looking at a balanced cable.

Looking at this KK Cable U-XV Compatible Upgrade Audio Cable Replacement for Earphone Cable Beyerdynamic T1 II, T5 Headphone. 2.5mm Trrs Balanced Male to Dual 3.5mm Connector cable. (1.5M(4.9FT)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKK1QYQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ILMiCbXJP98WJ

And this
Geekria Apollo 3.5mm Balanced Male to 2.5mm Balanced Female Audio Jack Adapter, 3.5mm (1/8inch) to 2.5mm, Male to Female Plug Adapter, Gold Plated Convert Connector Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BK4BRLV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nMMiCb0WVDGMA

Thoughts? Will it make much difference? I went from the 880's to this, and previously owned 1770's. I felt like the 880's had a bit more air to them-- like some of the details really br athed and popped. The Amiron is definitely clearer in the midst, but the 880's seemed more spacious. Wondering I might be better served by 1990's.

Thanks all and Merry Christmas!

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #1,423 of 2,668
I have hiby r3-mojo and amiron home, the amiron with r3 sounds fairly good but with the mojo no, there are too many lows in the sound and the mids and highs are very backward, why?

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #1,424 of 2,668
Hey guys,

Just got the Amiron home and the IFi idsd nano black label. Running from a note 9. It seemed that the IFi did not have as much impact as I want, perhaos because Im using power amp hi res, which already sounds really good. Also looking at a balanced cable.

Looking at this KK Cable U-XV Compatible Upgrade Audio Cable Replacement for Earphone Cable Beyerdynamic T1 II, T5 Headphone. 2.5mm Trrs Balanced Male to Dual 3.5mm Connector cable. (1.5M(4.9FT)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKK1QYQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ILMiCbXJP98WJ

And this
Geekria Apollo 3.5mm Balanced Male to 2.5mm Balanced Female Audio Jack Adapter, 3.5mm (1/8inch) to 2.5mm, Male to Female Plug Adapter, Gold Plated Convert Connector Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BK4BRLV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nMMiCb0WVDGMA

Thoughts? Will it make much difference? I went from the 880's to this, and previously owned 1770's. I felt like the 880's had a bit more air to them-- like some of the details really br athed and popped. The Amiron is definitely clearer in the midst, but the 880's seemed more spacious. Wondering I might be better served by 1990's.

Thanks all and Merry Christmas!

Did you get a balanced cable in the end?

I also have an iFi Nano iDSD BL and am interested in trying out a balanced cable to see if I can hear any differences. I don't use the Nano with my Amirons at the moment though.

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #1,425 of 2,668
I did. If there's a difference, I can't hear it. It's a decent cable though. At $56, it's the most I've ever paid. I'm sure the $100 cables are better, but it's better than the standard cable that came with it. The IFi does make a difference, but just not as much as I hoped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back