Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Dec 21, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #181 of 2,669
I just got them aswell, very surprised at how well this thing scales.. i started my first listening session with the chord mojo, sounded very laid back, enjoyable but nowhere near as good as this sounds on my ef-6.. they opened up so much with the ef-6, very impressed. ill report back later with more impressions, need more time for sure.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #182 of 2,669
  I just finished reviewing the Amiron, and I strongly feel that is bests the HD650 in nearly every way. The Amiron is warm in terms of the traditional Beyerdynamic sound, but it's also very crisp and clean and full-bodied. It makes the HD650 sound hollow and grainy. It is no contest for me, while I will continue to own the HD650 for comparison review purposes, the Amiron is the go-to headphone. It just plays so well with every genre of music.

​I see in your signature that you have the EF-6 aswell, have you tried the amiron on it? this combo sounds extremely good to my ears.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #183 of 2,669

​I see in your signature that you have the EF-6 aswell, have you tried the amiron on it? this combo sounds extremely good to my ears.

I did not. I actually had to send in my EF-6 under warranty a couple of months ago and HIFIMAN just recently sent me back a brand new one that I am now trying to sell. Haven't even used it because I prefer my Eddie Current Balancing Act. Although, if the EF-6 doesn't get any offers soon, I may fire it up just for kicks.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #184 of 2,669
  I did not. I actually had to send in my EF-6 under warranty a couple of months ago and HIFIMAN just recently sent me back a brand new one that I am now trying to sell. Haven't even used it because I prefer my Eddie Current Balancing Act. Although, if the EF-6 doesn't get any offers soon, I may fire it up just for kicks.

​aha, yeah if you decide to try it, let me know what you think. I really enjoyed your review by the way, this is an excellent headphone.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #185 of 2,669

​aha, yeah if you decide to try it, let me know what you think. I really enjoyed your review by the way, this is an excellent headphone.

Thank you! I appreciate that. 

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #187 of 2,669
  Do the ear cups extend further than on the DT880?  My head is fairly large and the DT800's earcups just reach my ears, but I'm hoping the Amiron provide a better fit.

The issue with DT 880s is that they are factory-modded with a patch of thick clotch inside the ear cups, on top of the plastic shell that covers the driver. I don't know of any other Beyerdynamic model in the top range that would have this sort of a dirt hack applied to them.

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #188 of 2,669
  Do the ear cups extend further than on the DT880?  My head is fairly large and the DT800's earcups just reach my ears, but I'm hoping the Amiron provide a better fit.

Just to answer my own question for any potential customers: the Amiron are definitely more roomy and should fit large heads.  As mentioned above, I need to wear the DT880 fully extended, but with the Amiron I have 2-3 clicks left on each side.

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #189 of 2,669

Just to answer my own question for any potential customers: the Amiron are definitely more roomy and should fit large heads.  As mentioned above, I need to wear the DT880 fully extended, but with the Amiron I have 2-3 clicks left on each side.

One thing I will say is while the earcups are big, they arent that deep and your ear will probably touch the driver but it is padded so it may or may not be bothersome. 

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #191 of 2,669
I've only spent an hour with the Amiron but I'm very impressed so far.  My primary 'phones are the HD650 and HD600 which I switch between, but I agree with the early comments that the Amiron have a superior sound.  They have the warmth of the HD6X0, but with more presence in the treble, though without being overbearing like the DT880's treble can sometimes be.  Overall, the Amiron seems more balanced across the frequency range than the HD6X0.

Comparing the Amiron to the Elear, the Elear does have a little something the Amiron lacks - a greater dynamic impact or punch, a little more detail, a little more sub-bass - but the Amiron again seems more balanced across the frequency range.  I think I will find myself using the Amiron more regularly, saving the Elear for special occasions so to speak.

The build quality is pretty good - definitely superior to the DT880 - but I would expect a little more for the price.  But I guess the mostly plastic construction does keep them light & comfortable.  BTW, are the ear pads replaceable?

The cable is also pretty good, though too long for me; again, definitely superior to the DT880.  I'd recommend buying a 1.4m Beyerdynamic T1.2 cable, which I purchased recently for my Elear and which also fits the Amiron.  I can't say that it necessarily sounds better, but the quality and length is much better than the stock cable.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #194 of 2,669
can this be properly powered by aune x1s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back