Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Dec 7, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #152 of 2,667
So Amiron frequency response by kopfhörer.de... What do you think?

https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/beyerdynamic-amiron-home/

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #153 of 2,667
I found the Amiron's to have more harsh treble to the DT 1990's, would be good to see the freq chart side by side to see if what I was hearing was due to the fact the Amiron's were NIB and needed break in

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #154 of 2,667
  I found the Amiron's to have more harsh treble to the DT 1990's, would be good to see the freq chart side by side to see if what I was hearing was due to the fact the Amiron's were NIB and needed break in

According to kopfhorer.de, the Amiron has a tiny bit less of a spike at 10khz, but more presence in the 5-7khz region:

And I put them together for reference (they are actually a lot more similar than I though they would be)
DT1990 is blue, Amiron is red. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #155 of 2,667
  According to kopfhorer.de, the Amiron has a tiny bit less of a spike at 10khz, but more presence in the 5-7khz region:

And I put them together for reference (they are actually a lot more similar than I though they would be)
DT1990 is blue, Amiron is red. 

Cool, thanks
biggrin.gif
 I did think that the sound of both both were more alike than not when I was testing and your overlay proves that.  I don't think I'm that sensitive to 5-7khz treble, so must have been new drivers needing some break in.  Think I was the first to test.  

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #156 of 2,667

Cool, thanks
biggrin.gif
 I did think that the sound of both both were more alike than not when I was testing and your overlay proves that.  I don't think I'm that sensitive to 5-7khz treble, so must have been new drivers needing some break in.  Think I was the first to test.  

No problem!
At first after seeing what Beyerdynamic said about the Amiron, I was hoping they would have lowered the treble to be flat and balanced compared to the DT series and T90/T1 like models. But, these graphs prove otherwise. I like the way the DT880 sounds, but I tried the T1 and that was way too bright for me, so I have a feeling I won't like the Amiron if I try it. But, graphs don't always tell the full story. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #157 of 2,667
 graphs don't always tell the full story.

+ 1

There's a lot to headphone performance that we can't measure with modern technology, or at least can't extrapolate from the measurements that we do have. Just look at the T70. It measures as though it's a headphone with emphasized, powerful bass and grainy treble. I do agree that measurements can be helpful a lot of the time, but they aren't reliable enough to draw conclusions with. I'd recommend trying to hear both in person, but I doubt that you'd be able to do that, what with the lack of HiFi shops that stock headphones other than $100-300 portable sealed headphones.

It seems like there's a lot of controversy about the Amiron's treble. Many people say they have less treble, and treble of a softer nature than the DT1990's, and many say the exact opposite. Are there any theories about what's causing this?

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #158 of 2,667
I saw the review below by shootthemoon18, but his comment about the price had me confused since the list price of both the Amiron and DT1990 are the same.  Also, SonicElectronix has them both on sale now for $429.  I've been tempted to buy one or the other and started to lean towards the Amiron, but his comments have me second-guessing it.

I wonder if there will be a price drop in the near future.

Quote:
  The build is mostly plastic and feels quite light. DT1990 feels much heavier as it has more metal parts. Because it's lighter, Amiron is more comfortable than DT1990 for me.

Sound wise, this is totally different from the 'Beyer house sound'. I would characterize is as being neutral bass and mids, and dark treble. It sounds very similar to DT1990 (which is very similar to DT1770). i think the only difference is that Amiron has smoother treble. Amiron pretty much sounds like a HD6XX with more bass. I would't charactetize them as warm or bassy like T51p. The treble is surprisingly very smooth and dark. It would be impossible to for sibilant to occur while that couuld stil happen for DT1990. Detail level is significantly less than DT1990. I would't call them competitors although they are priced not too far away. DT1990 has significantly better detail retrieval and soundstage.

I personally am puzzled why they created Amiron. I feel like they are trying to create a cheaper DT1990 that is slightly warmer/darker but the price difference is too small in my opinion. They are about 20% cheaper than DT1990 from where i see them. They should be 30-40% cheaper.

with all the negativity aside, i like where beyer is going in terms of sound tuning with their new range of headphones. They are aiming for the analytical but still natural sound(no harsh treble).

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #159 of 2,667

The price comparison was based on the MSRP for both. Nonetheless, i felt Amiron was the more pleasing sounding but DT1990 was the more technically capable one. Amiron is darker and smoother while DT1990 is the more neutral one. Amiron is more comfortable while DT1990 has better build quality. Amiron can go balanced while DT1990 cant. Either way, they are both good headphones and have a fairly similar sound.The difference is like changing amps. Significant but not polar opposites.

It seems like there's a lot of controversy about the Amiron's treble. Many people say they have less treble, and treble of a softer nature than the DT1990's, and many say the exact opposite. Are there any theories about what's causing this?

There's a lot of reason why people have different impression. Some people don't use the same music, or same source. Sometimes it's variation in models. Sometimes it's one unit is more burn in than the other. Sometimes it's fit issues as the pads might be in different condition.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #160 of 2,667
  The price comparison was based on the MSRP for both.

But the MSRP is the same for both, $599.  Sorry, not trying to catch you out; I just was wondering if there was something I was missing.

It seems Beyerdynamic is offering Pro and Home versions of the same headphone for the same price - though the Pro model includes more accessories and better build quality.

I wish the Amiron were indeed cheaper, as it seems it should be.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #161 of 2,667

But the MSRP is the same for both, $599.  Sorry, not trying to catch you out; I just was wondering if there was something I was missing.

It seems Beyerdynamic is offering Pro and Home versions of the same headphone for the same price - though the Pro model includes more accessories and better build quality.

I wish the Amiron were indeed cheaper, as it seems it should be.

That's a bigger bummer then. Looks like they adjusted the price since i was them. The model i heard was the pre-production model so they might make some small adjustments that could make significant sound difference as well.

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #162 of 2,667
My current go-to headphones are Sennheiser HD600 & HD650 and Focal Elear, but I'm considering the Amiron for something different, something with more presence in the treble.  Do you think the Amiron offers enough of a different sound, or is it true that they are close to the HD650?

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #163 of 2,667
I found that Amiron Home likes POWER to sound its best. The sound is very smooth and laid-back compared to previous beyerdynamic sound. I can listen to them for many hours without any fatiguing. Comfort is very high. If you audition these, be sure to use a good quality amp.

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #164 of 2,667
  I found that Amiron Home likes POWER to sound its best. The sound is very smooth and laid-back compared to previous beyerdynamic sound. I can listen to them for many hours without any fatiguing. Comfort is very high. If you audition these, be sure to use a good quality amp.

How do they sound with EDM and pop?

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #165 of 2,667
After listening to both the Amiron and the 1990, I cannot imagine anyone saying the Amiron has more treble. They are similar in the bass and mids, but the 1990 has a much more detailed and present treble, making for a more engaging and exciting listen. Someone who likes the Senn 650 would love the Amiron. Most people (in my opinion) would prefer the 1990. More treble, yes, but not at all harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back