Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Dec 11, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #166 of 2,668
After listening to both the Amiron and the 1990, I cannot imagine anyone saying the Amiron has more treble. They are similar in the bass and mids, but the 1990 has a much more detailed and present treble, making for a more engaging and exciting listen. Someone who likes the Senn 650 would love the Amiron. Most people (in my opinion) would prefer the 1990. More treble, yes, but not at all harsh.

Would you say the differences are like HD650 and HD600?

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #167 of 2,668
  Would you say the differences are like HD650 and HD600?

I must confess to never having heard the 600.  From what I have read, people seen split over which one they like more, so perhaps it would be like that.

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #168 of 2,668
I just finished reviewing the Amiron, and I strongly feel that is bests the HD650 in nearly every way. The Amiron is warm in terms of the traditional Beyerdynamic sound, but it's also very crisp and clean and full-bodied. It makes the HD650 sound hollow and grainy. It is no contest for me, while I will continue to own the HD650 for comparison review purposes, the Amiron is the go-to headphone. It just plays so well with every genre of music.

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #169 of 2,668

How do they sound with EDM and pop?

Amiron does pretty awesome with everything. I listened to a lot of genres when reviewing it and I really had no complaints. Super enjoyable, nothing is overemphasized, bass is powerful and hits hard and fast, treble is present, but not harsh like past Beyers. Give it a try, I think you'll like it a lot for both those types of music. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #170 of 2,668
  Amiron does pretty awesome with everything. I listened to a lot of genres when reviewing it and I really had no complaints. Super enjoyable, nothing is overemphasized, bass is powerful and hits hard and fast, treble is present, but not harsh like past Beyers. Give it a try, I think you'll like it a lot for both those types of music. 

Thanks so much, opinions on this headphone have been scarce so far... I see you have Nighthawk as well, can you compare them in terms of EDM and pop music enjoyment?

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #171 of 2,668
  Thanks so much, opinions on this headphone have been scarce so far... I see you have Nighthawk as well, can you compare them in terms of EDM and pop music enjoyment?

I bought the Nighthawk recently and actually haven't had time to do thorough listening tests with it yet. It's one of those headphones people seem to either love or hate. I can tell you that from my brief listening with it, that it's very different from what else is out there on the market. Once I get the time to really enjoy it for a bit I will post up a review and comparison. For $350, the liquid wood Nighthawk seems like a good buy, and they include some really nice accessories with it, but if you were trying to decide between the two that it is a tougher call for me to make right now. I really loved reviewing the Amiron though. It just seems like it is really going to suit a wide range of listeners.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #172 of 2,668
I actually own almost all Beyerdynamics models that came up the last 5-7 years, except the T1 (770, 880, 990, T70, T90, T5P). Yes, they are all bright sounding, especially the 880´s (my least favorite) and lack some impact in the bass, except the 990 600ohm that are the most fun headphones I have ever heard (at the prices they are right now, everyone in the world, even Trump, should get one as I consider this the best deal in the history of mankind).

However, pairing them with the A1 amp brought them all (yes, even the 880´s) to a whole new musical level. It corrects the flaws and enhances the virtues of them all. I really don´t know what or how Beyer did it, but the outcome is simply stunning. The bass is deep and controlled, never overwhelming, and the treble is precise but smooth. The T90 specially becomes a sonic beast, achieving the fun sound of the 990 but with a clarity and soundstage I have not heard in any other phones (I also own Fostex RP500 and Oppo PM3 planars, Senn 598, Kef M500, Zik Parrot.

I will buy the Amiron, and I really expect a sonic blast with my A1.

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #173 of 2,668
Amiron is really different, comparing between Amiron and DT1990, frankly speaking i love the Amiron better, it is more relaxing and less fatigue to your ears, for a direct comparison, DT1990 sounded harsh and sharp on the treble side.

Extremely balance, neutral and not over emphasise in anyway, mid is relaxing and smooth, for HD650 and Amiron, i will pick amiron any day. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #174 of 2,668
I actually own almost all Beyerdynamics models that came up the last 5-7 years, except the T1 (770, 880, 990, T70, T90, T5P). Yes, they are all bright sounding, especially the 880´s (my least favorite) and lack some impact in the bass, except the 990 600ohm that are the most fun headphones I have ever heard (at the prices they are right now, everyone in the world, even Trump, should get one as I consider this the best deal in the history of mankind).

However, pairing them with the A1 amp brought them all (yes, even the 880´s) to a whole new musical level. It corrects the flaws and enhances the virtues of them all. I really don´t know what or how Beyer did it, but the outcome is simply stunning. The bass is deep and controlled, never overwhelming, and the treble is precise but smooth. The T90 specially becomes a sonic beast, achieving the fun sound of the 990 but with a clarity and soundstage I have not heard in any other phones (I also own Fostex RP500 and Oppo PM3 planars, Senn 598, Kef M500, Zik Parrot.

I will buy the Amiron, and I really expect a sonic blast with my A1.

That would be the 100ohm output impedance of the A1. Common to the other Beyer amps.

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #178 of 2,668
Since these are 250 ohm cans, will they play along well with the BH Crack or other OTL amps?

I think output transformer amps pairs better like our WA6 if you're on a budget.

http://wooaudio.com/products/wa6.html

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #179 of 2,668

I think output transformer amps pairs better like our WA6 if you're on a budget.

http://wooaudio.com/products/wa6.html

I guess they really like their voltage, then. If you want a diy opt-coupled amp, there are a lot of options, but none of them are quite as simple as a Crack:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/824225/a-very-simple-single-ended-parafeed-design
and
http://www.head-fi.org/t/570317/dsavitsk-beezar-torpedo-build-thread/30

I'm sure there are lots of others, but these spring to mind first. All you want is a high z opt. The tesla driver's sensitivity means that output current is a non-issue.

The WA6 would work just fine, but if you're willing to build an amp, you can make a very similar amp for a lot less money.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #180 of 2,668
So I just got my headphones in....First impressions, with a high powered amp these things have ****** AMAZING bass. So fast and hits so hard in a good way. I would say they are pretty V-shaped sounding with slightly rolled off treble to get rid of that spike.Mids are pretty damn smooth tho. They are a very easy headphone to listen to that shouldnt be fatiguing even after hours. Also Beyerdynamic still makes the most comfortable headphones bar none. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back