Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Nov 19, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #1,366 of 2,669
The Amiron Home is an awesome headphone for gaming. They have a rather large soundstage, and impressive imaging. I use mine for music and gaming. You can detect where everything is located with ease. If you play horror games as well, you will be truly terrified. The various sounds that the Amrion is capable of producing is very impressive. :p This headphone picks up all kinds of details that other headphones often miss. Regarding the HD700, I do not own it, but a friend of mine does. I have heard this headphone a couple times. It is a completely different headphone from the Amiron. The Amiron is rather smooth in its treble response, and not fatiguing at all. The HD700 has peak at 6-7kHz which can cause some ear fatigue. When I heard the HD700, this peak bothered my ears. My friend has the same issue with the headphone. Do you own the HD700 ? If so, you can give my EQ I gave him for that headphone a try. It makes the headphone sound much more balanced, and cuts the mid treble harshness.

1.5 kHz: + 1
2kHz: + 2
3.15 kHz: + 2
4 kHz: + 1
6 kHz: - 1
6.5 kHz: - 1.5
7khz: - 1

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #1,367 of 2,669
Hello,

Are these good for competitive (FPS) gaming ? Anyone tried both these and HD700 ?

I tried both, I find AMiron better for gaming than HD700, more balanced overall signature, more open and with a larger soundstage, plus I like the comfort better for long hours of intense gaming and game development :)

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #1,368 of 2,669
Thanks guys! I think i've finally made my decision, the Amiron it is.

The Amiron Home is an awesome headphone for gaming. They have a rather large soundstage, and impressive imaging. I use mine for music and gaming. You can detect where everything is located with ease. If you play horror games as well, you will be truly terrified. The various sounds that the Amrion is capable of producing is very impressive. :p This headphone picks up all kinds of details that other headphones often miss.

Nice, that's what i wanted to hear!

I hope the details are not too overwhelming tho, never happened to me but i heard sometimes it can get a bit confusing with the most detailed cans.

Looks like this badboy has everything i want :
• comfort (i'm really sensitive to clamping force, so it was my priority when i was looking around)
• great for most genres
• Precise and details.

Can't wait to get my hands on them!

Do you own the HD700 ? If so, you can give my EQ I gave him for that headphone a try. It makes the headphone sound much more balanced, and cuts the mid treble harshness.

1.5 kHz: + 1
2kHz: + 2
3.15 kHz: + 2
4 kHz: + 1
6 kHz: - 1
6.5 kHz: - 1.5
7khz: - 1

Never listened to the HD700. I was just torn between the 2, both seems great for FPS and are among the best comfort-wise. HD700 seems excellent for Classical but comes with the treble peak you mentionned, while the Amiron seems more fit as an all-rounder. Am i right ?

Thanks for sharing your settings, i'm sure it will help someone else.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,369 of 2,669
Hey iznogud, it takes about 50-60 hours for the Amiron to be completely burned in. Out of the box, you will probably find it to be somewhat midbass forward with slightly recessed mids. The treble is smooth, and nicely detailed. It is not bright at all though. It shows you everything that is in the music without being fatiguing at all. I think you will be very surprised, if you have ever heard any other Beyerdynamic headphones before. This headphone is not like most other Beyers. The soundstage is very impressive, and instruments sound nicely layered and separated. You can pick out exact locations where instruments are in the recordings.To me, the Amiron Home presents music in a way that reminds me of looking at a giant map in front of you on a table. Everything is on display, and you get a great landscape to look at. Granted, many open back headphones offer great width and depth, along with more details when compared to closed backs. However, on the Amiron Home, it offers much more of the finer details. It is as if the tiny cities that are not displayed by many other headphones are completely revealed on the Amiron Home map. You will probably find yourself often thinking "wow, I never noticed that before". You can detect everything. This headphone has the ability to present everything that is often hidden in recordings. You will hear clicks, pops, crackles, and all kinds of defects in music that you never realized were there. At the same time, you also hear notes from instruments and vocals that you also had no idea were there either. I will mention the bass guitar as well. Honestly, bass guitar on this headphone is done just right. It is right up front in the mix, and is incredibly well presented. The bass guitar, shockingly, is just as defined as every other instrument is. This is not common to find on a headphone. The Amiron has a character to its signature that almost gives the impression that you are listening to live recordings, when they are in the studio. It is just amazing how good this headphone this. Once you get the headphone, just let it burn in some. After 8 hours or so, the midbass will begin to tone itself down a bit. The mids will then start to become more present. The headphone develops and matures until it reaches its final sound signature at 50-60 hours of use. I use a custom EQ on this headphone. I use an EQ on every headphone I own though. To me, this is the only way to make any headphone sound correct. I have never found a headphone to date that does not need to be equalized. The difference though, is a bad headphone can't be corrected to sound as it should with EQ, but a good headphone can. The Amiron Home responds better to being equalized than almost any other headphone you will find. The distortion is literally nonexistent.

What will you be using for a DAC and AMP ? I would not recommend running the Amiron Home with low end devices. It scales very well if you pair it with a nice DAC and AMP. For a DAC, I have a Creative ZXR sound card, which has all opamps upgraded to Burson Audio V6 Vivid Opamps. This sound card has the Burr-Brown PCM1794 DAC chip for the front left and right channels. For a headphone amp, I have an Audio-GD C-2 (2017 Edition) headphone amp connected to the front outs on the card. This is a very neutral sounding amp which takes nothing away, and adds nothing to the music. It presents things as they should be. It pairs extremely well with the Amiron Home, because it allows the headphone to show its full capabilities. This amp has alot of power as well.

25 ohm: 9900MW
40 ohm: 8000MW
100 ohm: 3500MW
300 ohm: 1200MW
600 ohm: 600MW

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C22015/C22015EN.htm

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #1,370 of 2,669
Here is my EQ I use on the Amiron too. This gets rid of the midbass bump, and makes the headphone sound completely balanced.

Pre-Amplfying: - 2

63Hz: + 0.5
100Hz: - 1
125Hz: - 1
160Hz: - 1
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
315Hz: - 1
1kHz: + 0.5
1.25kHz: + 1
1.6kHz: + 1
2kHz: + 1
2.5kHz: + 1
3.15kHz: + 1
4kHz: + 1
8kHz: - 0.5

Edit: Be sure to post back in the thread on your results once you get your Amiron, iznogud.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #1,371 of 2,669
I am very interested in the thoughts on burn in - i just received some Amiron's and do own the T90 - i have found them really different to listen to.

The T90 is much more open and airy, with definately more treble emphasis and an overall thinner sound, but then with some amazing resonance and clarity. I really love these phones albeit i recognise their slightly spiky treble tendencies - my amp helps with this.
The Amiron is much darker, more bass and lower midrange and a more solid sound. They are sounding good but quite different to what i am used to. I have to make a quick decision to keep or return, and i do find the vocals a little bit recessed or less clear compared with the T90. However the Amirons are brand new and i wondered if i can expect the vocals and midrange to open up significantly / a little / not at all over a burn in period.
I do not want to bail out quick when i just needed to give them more time. I can sort of see the benefit of owning both to be honest but if the vocals were to become a little less recessed and improve then i may end up liking the Amiron the most in the end.
The other thought is that i may need a brighter or more forward amp than my graham slee ultra diamond, which tends to take the worst edge off the T90.
Thanks

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,373 of 2,669
Try my EQ in the post above yours. You will notice a great improvement. Also, the Amiron takes 50-60 hours to totally burn in and reach its final sound.

I am curious... how can this EQ apply to everyone's ears and everyone's source?

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,375 of 2,669
It is just a starting point. A person can then adjust it a bit depending on their DAC and AMP if they feel they need to.

Actually I feel no need to use EQ... ever.

Nov 26, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #1,376 of 2,669
That is totally fine. It was a response to crusaderlord, who appears to be not totally satisfied with the recessed mids, and the heavy midbass of the Amiron Home. This EQ corrects those issues. If you are happy with the stock sound of the headphone, that is great.

Nov 26, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #1,377 of 2,669
That is totally fine. It was a response to crusaderlord, who appears to be not totally satisfied with the recessed mids, and the heavy midbass of the Amiron Home. This EQ corrects those issues. If you are happy with the stock sound of the headphone, that is great.

I am... mine does not have recessed mids or heavy midbass. Different ears, different sources maybe.

Nov 26, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,378 of 2,669
I have the T90 on my head right now and so far haven't really heard any treble spikes -- but then again, I also really like the HD 700 which seems to be polarizing over treble so maybe it's just my old ears which aren't bothered by them or the T90 so far -- although this is only the 2nd hour I've ever heard the T90.

In any case, the T90 sound good enough I must confess I have no immediate interest now in getting the Amiron Home, as good as those I'm sure those are.

Nov 26, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,379 of 2,669
I am curious... how can this EQ apply to everyone's ears and everyone's source?

It can't and it won't/

I have a very different EQ curve for Amiron, but the more we share and try to make a big thing out of trying EQ curves, the better everyone gets at EQ'ing and the more you can experiment with it :)

If @DW75 has an EQ curve that really works for him, it is fun to try, see what he likes, see how it works for you, make notes, then make your own profile. This is how I started with EQing, I didn't fully understand it years ago, but I went with what people recommended, seen if I liked it better. Curiosity bumped me to try more stuff, and learn, experiment.

I tried that EQ curve, it is a fine adjustment, nothing drastic. I think it works for the better, if you want to touch the signature a little, not make drastic changes.

Nov 26, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #1,380 of 2,669
It can't and it won't/

I have a very different EQ curve for Amiron, but the more we share and try to make a big thing out of trying EQ curves, the better everyone gets at EQ'ing and the more you can experiment with it :)

If @DW75 has an EQ curve that really works for him, it is fun to try, see what he likes, see how it works for you, make notes, then make your own profile. This is how I started with EQing, I didn't fully understand it years ago, but I went with what people recommended, seen if I liked it better. Curiosity bumped me to try more stuff, and learn, experiment.

I tried that EQ curve, it is a fine adjustment, nothing drastic. I think it works for the better, if you want to touch the signature a little, not make drastic changes.

I don't think I listen the same way you guys do. I just play my music and become immersed in it. Hours and hours can go by with me perfectly happy. I don't need to overcomplicate something that I enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back