Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Jan 19, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,052 of 2,669
Yes different enough to qualify as a different headphone.

Yes it is. I’ve swapped the drivers a few times when I had both and even though the drivers have the exact same appearance and dampening they are tuned differently. The Amirons drivers sound more fluid, delicate, solid, and refined. The DT 1990s sound drier, more forward, and punchier. The Amiron is a bit different than most Beyers as it doesn’t have that dryness many can have.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #1,053 of 2,669
Just got these off Ebay, $489 shipped brand new. Running through my Burson DAC->Magni 3 and I'm highly enjoying them. Coming from my 400i with BW Sheepskin pads which was good but just not cutting it. These are def a level above.

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #1,054 of 2,669
Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions, compared to your other phones.
So now the real testing of my Amiron home can start.
  1. I cleaned the pads and the driver foam cover as I do with all used headphones which I buy.
  2. To remount the pads I had to disassemble the earcups from the cup hangers. I had to install the pads on the rings which also hold the driver cover in place and mount the rings with the pads installed on the cups. The pads are very different from the DT1770/1990 pads, the velour also slides over the edge of the ring so the gap is too small to accomodate the pads easily. A broader gap could be helpfull @beyerdynamic , hint hint...
  3. After reassembling the cups with the hangers a terrible sqeaking developed that kept me from enjoying the headphone completely. Tonight I fixed that by applying small amounts of silicon fat to the hanger ends, the plastic joints (hanger/cup) and also very important to the hanger adjustment holes. Applied some silicone fat in every hole and then pulled and pushed the hangers full distance.
  4. Silence peace, the noises are gone. :beyersmile:
I will compare to the HD660S, the HD650 the DT1990 (completely noiseless) and my Sony Z1r/Z7

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #1,055 of 2,669
I managed to get my hands on Beyerdynamic Amiron today

I haven't read the thread, so those are my honest early thoughts:

- They might require some burn-in. They seem to be changing and I am at the 3-4 hours of using them. They opened up and became airier.

- Judging from the cable and the box, I think that they are new, so please take into account that they are not fully burned in.

- Out of the box, they were a bit smooth, a bit laid back, and relaxing.

- From FiiO X7mkii + AM03A, I can crank the volume very high, around 100 / 120 or so, Amiron needs some power to get loud. At 120/120 with AM03A and X7mkii, it does not hurt my ears, but it is very loud, I cannot stand more than one song at that volume. All on High Gain.

- They are open-back! Those aren't semi-open-back, they are fully open back as far as I can tell. This means three things: They do not isolate, they leak, and they have all the advantages of an open-back headphone.

- The sound!

- The bass is really satysfing, tangible, deep, can satisfy my bass needs entirely! Enough for bassheads? Yes, I think they are. I like ie800's bass. Amiron surely feels satisfying for me at high volumes. I haven't done proper comparisons yet, but I am happy.

- The midrange is extremely clear, well defined, vivid, the instrument separation is awesome, the soundstage size is good. The midrange is not recessed to my ears, and so far. Maybe ever so slightly recessed compared to the bass.

- The treble is normal to slightly smooth so far, but it really opened up after some burn in. I'll see if it opens up any more. They are neither harsh nor sibilant, they are quite lovely, airy and sweet in the treble right now.

- Did I ever mention comfort with headphones? I think I usually mention it, but don't speak enough about this. Well, Signature Studio, which I was using quite a lot before I got Amiron is ok in the comfort department. Meze 99C is quite good. MO-BT Headphones are quite good. Amiron is in another category entirely. Amiron is more... in the same category as HD800S / HD800 cofort wise. To put it simply, 99C and Sig Studio and MO Headpphones all require me to play a bit with the cups / pads to fit my large ears inside the cups. Amiron simply covers my ears entirely, the same way HD800 does. I also have enough space inside to not touch the driver with my ears, so I suspect they are going to be lovely on long term usage as well. I am not sure how much I can say the same about the pad material since I am used to leather, but so far it is really really good.

- They cannot be used outside with the default cable since it has 3 meters, but the Meze 99C cable fits perfectly, and I have been using it for outdoors listening with amazing results! I've just taken Amiron on a walk through the winter streets of Bucharest, and the experience has been quite great.

More thoughts to come.

Please keep in mind that those are very early thoughts and impressions, they might change, and those should not be used as a buying guide, just as a reference in case my input changes with time, so you have an idea idea how to feel at first, and how you might feel after prolonged usage :darthsmile:

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #1,056 of 2,669
Shortly after I first got the Amiron Home, I thought that it sounded a tiny bit bright when connected to my RME ADI-2 Pro on the DSD version of Miles Davis' Someday My Prince Will Come. Some of the trumpet solos sounded a bit sharp to my ears (I can be ultra-sensitive to treble). I ordered a Draug 3 copper headphone cable from Norne Audio to help smooth out the sound. Fast-forward two months to when I received the Draug 3 for the Amiron, and the combination produced sound that was a little too rolled-off, like my Senn 650s. D'oh! Not quite what I wanted. Granted, I've only had the cable for a few days, and it still needs burn in time, so the sound may change. But I guess I really just needed some burn-in time with the Amiron itself to adjust to its detailed top end.

Also -- the quality and quantity of the Amiron's bass (which is even better with the Draug 3) is fantastic! Not as pronounced as with my Focal Elears, but a lot more controlled.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,057 of 2,669
Shortly after I first got the Amiron Home, I thought that it sounded a tiny bit bright when connected to my RME ADI-2 Pro on the DSD version of Miles Davis' Someday My Prince Will Come. Some of the trumpet solos sounded a bit sharp to my ears (I can be ultra-sensitive to treble). I ordered a Draug 3 copper headphone cable from Norne Audio to help smooth out the sound. Fast-forward two months to when I received the Draug 3 for the Amiron, and the combination produced sound that was so smooth that I thought I was listening to Miles' trumpet through my (first-gen) Senn 650s. D'oh! Not quite what I wanted. Granted, I've only had the cable for a few days, and it still needs burn in time, so the sound may change. But I guess I really just needed some burn-in time with the Amiron itself to adjust to its detailed top end.

Out of the box they felt a bit too smooth in the treble for me actually. Interesting though, that a cable can smoothen out the sound even more. I have only tested them with the Meze 99C cable and their own cable. Cannot really tell the differences (?)

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #1,058 of 2,669
I managed to get my hands on Beyerdynamic Amiron today

I haven't read the thread, so those are my honest early thoughts:

- They might require some burn-in. They seem to be changing and I am at the 3-4 hours of using them. They opened up and became airier.

- Judging from the cable and the box, I think that they are new, so please take into account that they are not fully burned in.

- Out of the box, they were a bit smooth, a bit laid back, and relaxing.

- From FiiO X7mkii + AM03A, I can crank the volume very high, around 100 / 120 or so, Amiron needs some power to get loud. At 120/120 with AM03A and X7mkii, it does not hurt my ears, but it is very loud, I cannot stand more than one song at that volume. All on High Gain.

- They are open-back! Those aren't semi-open-back, they are fully open back as far as I can tell. This means three things: They do not isolate, they leak, and they have all the advantages of an open-back headphone.

- The sound!

- The bass is really satysfing, tangible, deep, can satisfy my bass needs entirely! Enough for bassheads? Yes, I think they are. I like ie800's bass. Amiron surely feels satisfying for me at high volumes. I haven't done proper comparisons yet, but I am happy.

- The midrange is extremely clear, well defined, vivid, the instrument separation is awesome, the soundstage size is good. The midrange is not recessed to my ears, and so far. Maybe ever so slightly recessed compared to the bass.

- The treble is normal to slightly smooth so far, but it really opened up after some burn in. I'll see if it opens up any more. They are neither harsh nor sibilant, they are quite lovely, airy and sweet in the treble right now.

- Did I ever mention comfort with headphones? I think I usually mention it, but don't speak enough about this. Well, Signature Studio, which I was using quite a lot before I got Amiron is ok in the comfort department. Meze 99C is quite good. MO-BT Headphones are quite good. Amiron is in another category entirely. Amiron is more... in the same category as HD800S / HD800 cofort wise. To put it simply, 99C and Sig Studio and MO Headpphones all require me to play a bit with the cups / pads to fit my large ears inside the cups. Amiron simply covers my ears entirely, the same way HD800 does. I also have enough space inside to not touch the driver with my ears, so I suspect they are going to be lovely on long term usage as well. I am not sure how much I can say the same about the pad material since I am used to leather, but so far it is really really good.

- They cannot be used outside with the default cable since it has 3 meters, but the Meze 99C cable fits perfectly, and I have been using it for outdoors listening with amazing results! I've just taken Amiron on a walk through the winter streets of Bucharest, and the experience has been quite great.

More thoughts to come.

Please keep in mind that those are very early thoughts and impressions, they might change, and those should not be used as a buying guide, just as a reference in case my input changes with time, so you have an idea idea how to feel at first, and how you might feel after prolonged usage :darthsmile:

You do listen loud :). With the X7ii I can't go much over 80/120. Past 80 and it get to loud for me. You also have the DX200 with amp5 module? I believe the DX200 have a bit more power but can't remember. I have just bought the DX200 again and the amp5 module but haven't received it yet. I think this combo will be excellent.

The bass on the Amiron are quality but not basshead quantity. You should try B&W P9 or even the ZR1, but of course both are closed headphones. The Xelento also have a bit more midbass.

And yes they spacious and airy, but maybe not enough treble for you?

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,059 of 2,669
Out of the box they felt a bit too smooth in the treble for me actually. Interesting though, that a cable can smoothen out the sound even more. I have only tested them with the Meze 99C cable and their own cable. Cannot really tell the differences (?)

Huh, maybe the treble difference is amp-dependent. I see you have some iFi Audio amps in your setup. I have the iCan Pro myself, and the treble using that amp with the Amirons was fine. The RME ADI-2 Pro can sound a lot more resolving than the iCan Pro (definitely better for classical music). Also, the ADI-2 Pro hits harder in the bass than the iCan.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #1,060 of 2,669
You do listen loud :). With the X7ii I can't go much over 80/120. Past 80 and it get to loud for me. You also have the DX200 with amp5 module? I believe the DX200 have a bit more power but can't remember. I have just bought the DX200 again and the amp5 module but haven't received it yet. I think this combo will be excellent.

The bass on the Amiron are quality but not basshead quantity. You should try B&W P9 or even the ZR1, but of course both are closed headphones. The Xelento also have a bit more midbass.

And yes they spacious and airy, but maybe not enough treble for you?

Yep, I also have DX200 + AMP5! I'll run some tests with the pairing later on! (Only one mSD with all my music library, cannot take two DAPs while on a walk, and I usually only listen while on a walk.)

In my humble opinion, Xelento has more of all types of bass, sub-bass, mid-bass and even lower midrange, they come off as thicker to my ears.

I don't know if you can call me an audiophile or a basshead, but I really dislike when the bass bleeds in the midrange and such, and Amiron does not suffer from any issue like that to those ears. Similar to ie800, and Xelento, the bass is quite satisying, without being too much.

At very loud volumes, I am quite happy with the treble actually. At lower volumes, they tend to be a bit smoother. At 80/120 with X7mkii + AM03, they are a tad smoother, while at around 100 / 120, I feel more satisfied with both the bass and the treble. It might have something to do with the music as well, since I only had a few hours, so far I only tested them with aggressive metal music that needs impact, explosions and such, so I still need time to test them with Jazz and such!

Huh, maybe the treble difference is amp-dependent. I see you have some iFi Audio amps in your setup. I have the iCan Pro myself, and the treble using that amp with the Amirons was fine. The RME ADI-2 Pro can sound a lot more resolving than the iCan Pro (definitely better for classical music).

Oh yes, iDSD BL Micro is doing an awesome job at driving Amiron! Just tried the pairing for around ten minutes, and iDSD BL Micro It has more than enough power. I never heard RME-ADI-2 so I cannot speak about it... I haven't heard the Pro (large?) version of iFi AMPs either...

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #1,061 of 2,669
Yeah listened to them for about 30min out the box then even though I didn't want to stop I also wanted to play PUBG on XB1 so I continued to let them play over the next few hours, occasionally when listening when I died and my buddies were still fighting lol. Did notice after the few hours the bass became more controlled and opened up

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #1,062 of 2,669
Shortly after I first got the Amiron Home, I thought that it sounded a tiny bit bright when connected to my RME ADI-2 Pro on the DSD version of Miles Davis' Someday My Prince Will Come. Some of the trumpet solos sounded a bit sharp to my ears (I can be ultra-sensitive to treble). I ordered a Draug 3 copper headphone cable from Norne Audio to help smooth out the sound. Fast-forward two months to when I received the Draug 3 for the Amiron, and the combination produced sound that was so smooth that I thought I was listening to Miles' trumpet through my (first-gen) Senn 650s. D'oh! Not quite what I wanted. Granted, I've only had the cable for a few days, and it still needs burn in time, so the sound may change. But I guess I really just needed some burn-in time with the Amiron itself to adjust to its detailed top end.

Also -- the quality and quantity of the Amiron's bass (which is even better with the Draug 3) is fantastic! Not as pronounced as with my Focal Elears, but a lot more controlled.

I found the Amiron very sensitive to the system in regards to treble. When I use USB on my DAC it can be a bit too sharp at times and is brighter than the HD 660 S. But oddly when I switch to optical, the treble is just as dark and smooth as the HD 660 S. It’s a similar story when I play via vinyl, the Amiron is very smooth.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,063 of 2,669
Yep, I also have DX200 + AMP5! I'll run some tests with the pairing later on! (Only one mSD with all my music library, cannot take two DAPs while on a walk, and I usually only listen while on a walk.)

In my humble opinion, Xelento has more of all types of bass, sub-bass, mid-bass and even lower midrange, they come off as thicker to my ears.

I don't know if you can call me an audiophile or a basshead, but I really dislike when the bass bleeds in the midrange and such, and Amiron does not suffer from any issue like that to those ears. Similar to ie800, and Xelento, the bass is quite satisying, without being too much.

At very loud volumes, I am quite happy with the treble actually. At lower volumes, they tend to be a bit smoother. At 80/120 with X7mkii + AM03, they are a tad smoother, while at around 100 / 120, I feel more satisfied with both the bass and the treble. It might have something to do with the music as well, since I only had a few hours, so far I only tested them with aggressive metal music that needs impact, explosions and such, so I still need time to test them with Jazz and such!

Oh yes, iDSD BL Micro is doing an awesome job at driving Amiron! Just tried the pairing for around ten minutes, and iDSD BL Micro It has more than enough power. I never heard RME-ADI-2 so I cannot speak about it... I haven't heard the Pro (large?) version of iFi AMPs either...

What desktop amps do you have? :D

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #1,065 of 2,669
iDSD BL Micro and iBasso DX200 with AMP5, I don't think I have other desktop amps since a lot of my listening is done portably :smile_phones:

iDSD BL Micro should work well with them, shame you can't demo them on a nice OTL amp, they work soooo well out of the Feliks Audio Espressivo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back