Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,066 of 2,667
True. I owned a pair of hawks, got them a lot cheaper than MSRP though. The Nighthawks have some stuff going for it, but man that etched treble, ugh.

Ok, guess I'm not the only one who experienced this. Love the signature of this headphone but the treble seems harsh at times to the point where I stop wearing them. These phones actually sound the best to me through Dragonfly Red connected to my iphone 7+. Guess not surprising as they were probably developed with that combo. Nighthawks seem to sound less balanced and punchy through Jotunheim/Gumby or old Cary SLI-80.

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #1,067 of 2,667
Happy to say that I will be joining the Amiron club in the next couple weeks. Super excited to get a pair. I will be upgrading from my K712 Pro. I will be sure to put up my impressions after I get them in the mail. I want to put at least a few hours of burn in on them first. I recently tested a friend's Amiron for about 30 minutes or so. This was my first time ever hearing this headphone. I was very impressed with it. It had such a smooth, natural, balanced, and refined sound to it. I just knew that this was the upgrade I am looking for, and that I need to get my own pair. I am fairly convinced that this will be my last headphone, at least for many years.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #1,068 of 2,667
Happy to say that I will be joining the Amiron club in the next couple weeks. Super excited to get a pair. I will be upgrading from my K712 Pro. I will be sure to put up my impressions after I get them in the mail. I want to put at least a few hours of burn in on them first. I recently tested a friend's Amiron for about 30 minutes or so. This was my first time ever hearing this headphone. I was very impressed with it. It had such a smooth, natural, balanced, and refined sound to it. I just knew that this was the upgrade I am looking for, and that I need to get my own pair. I am fairly convinced that this will be my last headphone, at least for many years.
I know that 30 minutes is not enough to evaluate it but could you make a brief comparison between them ?

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #1,069 of 2,667
I experienced a bit of sharpness in the Amiron's treble (only on certain recordings), so I picked up Norne Audio's Draug 3 (OCC copper litz) cable. It has completely smoothed out the sharpness. It sounds great with my ADI-2 Pro (a more neutral-sounding amp), but may be a little too mellow with my iCan Pro (a warmer-sounding amp). I talked with Trevor at Norne Audio about it, so he is sending me their SolvX cable (OCC copper/silver litz) to compare with the Draug 3. I will report back once I get the new cable.

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #1,070 of 2,667
I experienced a bit of sharpness in the Amiron's treble (only on certain recordings), so I picked up Norne Audio's Draug 3 (OCC copper litz) cable. It has completely smoothed out the sharpness. It sounds great with my ADI-2 Pro (a more neutral-sounding amp), but may be a little too mellow with my iCan Pro (a warmer-sounding amp). I talked with Trevor at Norne Audio about it, so he is sending me their SolvX cable (OCC copper/silver litz) to compare with the Draug 3. I will report back once I get the new cable.

I don't think that Amiron treble is harsh, but I do take a few dBs from the early 8 kHz and add them to the later 16 kHz, but it is a rather minor change, and they are some of the headphones that need the least amount of EQ from my collection.

Opus #1s really able to drive them and make them absolutely sweet

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #1,073 of 2,667
DAC will be my Creative ZXR which has all opamps upgraded to the Burson Audio V6 Vivid opamps. My headphone amp connected to that is the M-Stage HPA-2 which has been upgraded with 2 x LME49710HA metal can opamps on an adapter. The sound quality with this set up is quite amazing.

Feb 9, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #1,074 of 2,667
DAC will be my Creative ZXR which has all opamps upgraded to the Burson Audio V6 Vivid opamps. My headphone amp connected to that is the M-Stage HPA-2 which has been upgraded with 2 x LME49710HA metal can opamps on an adapter. The sound quality with this set up is quite amazing.
Many people say that it is fairly smooth, the softest of all Beyers but some bother that treble peaks, I plan to use it with NFB 11.28 but I do not know if it would be a good option since your dac is a Delta Sigma which is known to emphasize the higher regions, even if Audio-GD and its buyers claim that it does not do so I worry anyway. I know you can not give me an answer with 100% certainty since you do not know my taste, but based on your experience so far with Amiron, you believe that a Delta Sigma can cause some harshness or excessive brightness with he ?

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #1,075 of 2,667
At this point, I only had about 30 minutes or so to test the Amiron that my friend owns. This was connected to his equipment as well. He has the Xonar STX for his DAC, and is using a Schiit Asgard 2 for his headphone amp. In my brief time in testing though, I can say this headphone sounds far more refined and articulate than the DT880 Premium 250 Ohm that I used to own, but sold. It is also a big step up from my K712 Pro that I currently own now. I will be buying my Amiron Home in a few days, and I will then have to wait a few days for it to arrive in the mail. I will give my impressions though compared to my K712 Pro, once it arrives. Quite frankly, I don't see how anyone could have any issue with the treble on the Amiron. In my brief testing, it was very clean and detailed, but did not have any element of harshness or sibilance to it at all. This headphone is quite an improvement in every way from the DT880 and T90. I saw the review that Metal571 did on the Amiron, and he claims that it has terrible brightness issues with the treble. IMO, there is just no way. I am 100 percent convinced that he reviewed a defective pair. This is a very smooth sounding headphone in the upper frequencies. I think you should buy a pair, just like I am doing. :p I bet you will be impressed.

Edit: I think you may have been confused about my DAC. My DAC is the Creative ZXR, which is a PC sound card. It has the Burr-Brown PCM1974 DAC for the front channels, which is a 127 SNR part. It has the Burr-Brown PCM1978 DAC for the other channels. This is a 124 SNR part. I connect my M-Stage HPA-2 headphone amp to the front RCA line outs on the sound card.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #1,076 of 2,667
At this point, I only had about 30 minutes or so to test the Amiron that my friend owns. This was connected to his equipment as well. He has the Xonar STX for his DAC, and is using a Schiit Asgard 2 for his headphone amp. In my brief time in testing though, I can say this headphone sounds far more refined and articulate than the DT880 Premium 250 Ohm that I used to own, but sold. It is also a big step up from my K712 Pro that I currently own now. I will be buying my Amiron Home in a few days, and I will then have to wait a few days for it to arrive in the mail. I will give my impressions though compared to my K712 Pro, once it arrives. Quite frankly, I don't see how anyone could have any issue with the treble on the Amiron. In my brief testing, it was very clean and detailed, but did not have any element of harshness or sibilance to it at all. This headphone is quite an improvement in every way from the DT880 and T90. I saw the review that Metal571 did on the Amiron, and he claims that it has terrible brightness issues with the treble. IMO, there is just no way. I am 100 percent convinced that he reviewed a defective pair. This is a very smooth sounding headphone in the upper frequencies. I think you should buy a pair, just like I am doing. :p I bet you will be impressed.

Edit: I think you may have been confused about my DAC. My DAC is the Creative ZXR, which is a PC sound card. It has the Burr-Brown PCM1974 DAC for the front channels, which is a 127 SNR part. It has the Burr-Brown PCM1978 DAC for the other channels. This is a 124 SNR part. I connect my M-Stage HPA-2 headphone amp to the front RCA line outs on the sound card.
I already had this doubt about Delta Sigma and Amiron, and although the vast majority of the reviews I read said it was very smooth but some said it was very bright, hence my concern came, but thanks for the help. :D

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #1,080 of 2,667
What about the soundstage, how would you define it ?

Open/ large / natural

You see, I am a soundstage addict, I love having music play around me, and narrow soundstages are one of the things I really dislike, to I am sensitive to it.

Amiron has a natural kind of soundstage, but since they are open back, it also feels natural, it isn't just natural, it is open natural, to it will sound large to most people

The fact that they are open back means that they convey the soundstage quite different when compared to what I was used to - which was closed back. Open back headphones are the way to go really, there's just no way around it, Beyerdynamic created one of the sweetest things there with Amiron :darthsmile:

Instrument separation is also different from what I was used to, like, Amiron doesn't cut instruments and doesn't sound separated, but you do hear every instrument, just playing together with everything, yet it is there. I need more time, and probably more burn-in, but they are really really sweet so far. \

They are also bloody beautiful!

Image taken from Twitter. Soruce https://twitter.com/audioheavenrev/status/960656774171897856

DVTvQ3kWkAUCrAf.jpg:large

Users who are viewing this thread

Back