Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Apr 6, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #706 of 2,669

I find the 1770s need good amplification to properly shine. Not sure if the same is true of the 1990s, but I imagine it is since they use the same drivers. I initially tried the 1770s with a relatively weak amp and was disappointed. They sounded a bit flat and lifeless. Then I got a Woo WA7 and on high-gain they were like a different headphone (and the WA7 is still not a particularly powerful amp). 

I wouldn't call the bass and mids "anaemic" on the 1770s (especially not the mids), but I will say they are seem very clinical in that they give you only what's there in the recording with no real emotion. Not really that surprising for a professional monitoring headphone IMO. Yes, the bass can sound anaemic in some recordings, but in others it can really slam hard and deep. The mids are very present though IMO, almost too much so. After listening to the 1770s, my old DT-990s sound hollow like they're broken! The higher-mids of the 1770 (and I imagine the 1990) can sometimes give guitars and some higher-pitched vocals a bit too much edge and bite to be enjoyable. Ultimately, I feel like these are very good monitoring headphones in that they really reveal differences in recording quality and mix. They are utterly unforgiving of bad mixes, but make well mixed recordings sound awesome. Sadly, my experience with the 1770s suggests that most modern recordings are not very well mastered.

Sounds like the Amiron has a more U-shaped response curve, which inherently will take some of the edgy energy out of the music and mellow things out a bit. I've not heard them, but I imagine they are not as good as the 1990/1770 for vocals, for example. The 1770s can really make some vocals sing, so to speak. 

Ultimately I'll probably sell the 1770s. I might try to find somewhere to try out the Amirons or 1990s, but I really need a closed-back headphone to shut out the world... something still retaining some mid-range energy but that's slightly more tuned for listening enjoyment rather than cold, hard monitoring (a highly subjective thing, I know). I guess I'm a "shallow-U" kinda person!

I guess thats it, they are too clinical. I used mine with a Little Dot Mk2 valve amp is very capable of driving the 1770 pro's.. I did like them .. just something missing. Like you i prefer closed back due to work, but hey i don't mind making my work mates suffer a little :wink:

However i am stumped as to which closed back would offer that clarity warmth precision depth of bass, open stage and pure enjoyment from a headphone with out brewaking the 1k zone.. Ideall at 500.

I am more than willing to listen to suggestions though :)

Thanks for the reply

Daniel

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #707 of 2,669
  Got my Amiron yesterday, and in quick impression, I really enjoy them.  So far listening on my Vali 2 and my Pono in single ended mode.  I already like the Amiron better than the HD600 by a good bit, and we'll see if it improves on the portable player when I receive a cable from Surfcables to allow it to run in balanced mode.  These are definitely a good companion to my DT770 when I want an open headphone.
Once I get a replacement screw from Grado for the one that fell out of my GS2000e, I'll do a thorough comparison of Amiron vs my current favorite.

Glad you are enjoying the Amiron. I like both the Amiron and DT 1990 more than the HD 600 myself, I feel the DT 1990 is a direct upgrade over the HD 600 while the Amiron has a somewhat different sound signature. I really alternate between the Amiron and DT 1990 a lot and both respond so well to different systems and tubes it really alters my experience. I am curious of what you think of the GS-2000e compared to them, always liked Grado's but never really owned any outside the SR-60e. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #708 of 2,669
I'm new to this thread and been reading the past few pages. I currently have Senn HD-650 and looking for a next-step headphone. Among others on my short-list, the Amiron sounds like it may have some of the characteristics of the HD-650 but less 'veil' and better controlled bass.

My question is whether these match well to a Schiit LYR2 amp ? I currently use LISST (solid-state) in my LYR2  but would tubes be better for the Amiron ? Are there any negatives to pushing more power to the Amiron? I'm not after 'loud'....my listening level is medium and I listen mostly to acoustic and some classic rock.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #709 of 2,669
Greetings head-fiers! I'm new to joining the forums but have lurked here for awhile now. I'm looking to get an "end all" headphones for my studio/reference/hifi needs. Through extensive research I thought I was settled on hd 650 initially and then changed my mind to hd 700. Somehow I came across the beyerdynamic amirons/dt 1990 and have seen several comments on both being better then hd 650/700. I have read all 4x pages of comments in both threads for each headphone, and every review for both I could find but still not sure.

A little about my sound preference. I only listen to hip hop/rnb music and love bass. I currently own vmoda m-100, vmoda zn, Sony xb950n1, philips x2, sennheiser pc360, bose soundsport wireless, which all have amazing bass other then the pc360. All of my current audio is fun, but I'm looking to hear the details and wider sounds take in music, games, movies, in that order.

Am I wrong in looking at amiron/dt1990 over hd 650/700? Is there other headphones I should be looking at? I know both beyerdynamic will have no where Near the bass I'm used to, but which one of the two Is more my taste?

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #710 of 2,669
Greetings head-fiers! I'm new to joining the forums but have lurked here for awhile now. I'm looking to get an "end all" headphones for my studio/reference/hifi needs. Through extensive research I thought I was settled on hd 650 initially and then changed my mind to hd 700. Somehow I came across the beyerdynamic amirons/dt 1990 and have seen several comments on both being better then hd 650/700. I have read all 4x pages of comments in both threads for each headphone, and every review for both I could find but still not sure.

A little about my sound preference. I only listen to hip hop/rnb music and love bass. I currently own vmoda m-100, vmoda zn, Sony xb950n1, philips x2, sennheiser pc360, bose soundsport wireless, which all have amazing bass other then the pc360. All of my current audio is fun, but I'm looking to hear the details and wider sounds take in music, games, movies, in that order.

Am I wrong in looking at amiron/dt1990 over hd 650/700? Is there other headphones I should be looking at? I know both beyerdynamic will have no where Near the bass I'm used to, but which one of the two Is more my taste?

The DT 1990 is the best of the bunch for hip-hop/R&B. The Amiron while it has a little more mid-bass but isnt as punchy and impactful in the bass as the DT 1990's, which is what you want in the genres you listen to, impact and slam, not just presence. The somewhat aggressive sound signature of the DT 1990 plays very well with bassy and energetic genres. I listen to basically every genre including hip-hop, r&b, rab, etc. The DT 1990 may have more mids and treble than you are used to but I honestly find this plays better with the genres you mentioned than you may think. I actually find the bass quite present on the Beyers.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #711 of 2,669
  The DT 1990 is the best of the bunch for hip-hop/R&B. The Amiron while it has a little more mid-bass but isnt as punchy and impactful in the bass as the DT 1990's, which is what you want in the genres you listen to, impact and slam, not just presence. The somewhat aggressive sound signature of the DT 1990 plays very well with bassy and energetic genres. I listen to basically every genre including hip-hop, r&b, rab, etc. The DT 1990 may have more mids and treble than you are used to but I honestly find this plays better with the genres you mentioned than you may think. I actually find the bass quite present on the Beyers.

I'm a little perplexed here. How can it have more bass, but also more mids and treble?

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #712 of 2,669
  I'm new to this thread and been reading the past few pages. I currently have Senn HD-650 and looking for a next-step headphone. Among others on my short-list, the Amiron sounds like it may have some of the characteristics of the HD-650 but less 'veil' and better controlled bass.

My question is whether these match well to a Schiit LYR2 amp ? I currently use LISST (solid-state) in my LYR2  but would tubes be better for the Amiron ? Are there any negatives to pushing more power to the Amiron? I'm not after 'loud'....my listening level is medium and I listen mostly to acoustic and some classic rock.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

The Amiron does have some characteristics of the HD 650, but also distinctly different. The Amiron is clearer and definitely has better bass. 

I haven't tried them on the Lyr 2 sadly. Tubes may work better though as I personally enjoy the Amiron more on tubes. Not really more power really just helps with the control of the sound in my experience and given your listening preferences the Amiron would be worth looking into. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #713 of 2,669

I'm a little perplexed here. How can it have more bass, but also more mids and treble?

It has more impactful bass as in the bass hits harder likely due to the bass being tighter. It's really how dynamic and balanced the headphone and it's excellent bass extension is that gives it that impression, I'm actually surprised some people say the DT 1990 has recessed mids, it really does not imho. The Amiron I find a little recessed in the upper mids with more of a warm blankety type sound with a bit of energy in the 6-10khz region but not too much, the Amiron also has a wider soundstage than the DT 1990. The Amiron is more of a relaxation and more acoustical music listening headphone.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #714 of 2,669

If rap/r&b is your thing, do noooot get the HD700. I have a pair, they're awesome, but they are almost the opposite of a hip-hop headphone. The treble is sharp, and the bass (although deep) is not potent enough. I'd definitely say the Amiron or Sony Z7 should be on your list, along with maybe the Audioquest Nighthawk.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #715 of 2,669

If rap/r&b is your thing, do noooot get the HD700. I have a pair, they're awesome, but they are almost the opposite of a hip-hop headphone. The treble is sharp, and the bass (although deep) is not potent enough. I'd definitely say the Amiron or Sony Z7 should be on your list, along with maybe the Audioquest Nighthawk.

Replace the Amiron with the DT 1990 for hip-hop, I really like the Amiron and while it can do hip-hop fine, it's not really it's forte, I've owned both the DT 1990 and Amiron for a while now and know the two headphones very well, I will take the DT 1990 with the balanced pads any day for the genres he listed and pretty much anyone who has listened to both would likely agree. The Z7 and the Nighthawk are also worth looking into, but I would personally take the DT 1990 over either of those. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #716 of 2,669

Replace the Amiron with the DT 1990 for hip-hop, I really like the Amiron and while it can do hip-hop fine, it's not really it's forte, I've owned both the DT 1990 and Amiron for a while now and know the two headphones very well, I will take the DT 1990 with the balanced pads any day for the genres he listed and pretty much anyone who has listened to both would likely agree. The Z7 and the Nighthawk are also worth looking into, but I would personally take the DT 1990 over either of those. 

Thanks for the quick response.  I did read some reviews and comments about the nighthawk, possibly in here that didn't really say anything special about them. I haven't heard of the Sony Z7 but I guess i'll have to look into them, but still leaning towards the DT 1990 per kman's recommendation and experience with the headphones.

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #717 of 2,669

Thanks for the quick response.  I did read some reviews and comments about the nighthawk, possibly in here that didn't really say anything special about them. I haven't heard of the Sony Z7 but I guess i'll have to look into them, but still leaning towards the DT 1990 per kman's recommendation and experience with the headphones.

There are a lot of choices. Keep in mind the Beyers sometimes drop like a $100 or so in price new. It's going to be a different sound than you are used to, but I can say the DT 1990 or Amiron will be in a league you haven't heard before and considering your planning on gaming and movie watching as well, a well balanced headphone will help and bring a different experience which seems like what you're looking for. Out of curiosity what are you driving your headphones with? The Beyers are fairly easy to drive. Both the DT 1990 and Amiron sound good straight out of my iPhone 7 for example. They do benefit from amping of course, things get fuller and the bass gains more body and the highs become smoother.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #718 of 2,669
  The Amiron does have some characteristics of the HD 650, but also distinctly different. The Amiron is clearer and definitely has better bass. 

I haven't tried them on the Lyr 2 sadly. Tubes may work better though as I personally enjoy the Amiron more on tubes. Not really more power really just helps with the control of the sound in my experience and given your listening preferences the Amiron would be worth looking into. 

That's excellent...thank-you. My music is mostly acoustic in nature, particularly jazz...some classic rock. I find the HD-650 bass a bit 'muddied' for those genres and clearer would be better as well. I doubt I would get rid of the Senns but would be great to have an alternative to hand.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #719 of 2,669

There are a lot of choices. Keep in mind the Beyers sometimes drop like a $100 or so in price new. It's going to be a different sound than you are used to, but I can say the DT 1990 or Amiron will be in a league you haven't heard before and considering your planning on gaming and movie watching as well, a well balanced headphone will help and bring a different experience which seems like what you're looking for. Out of curiosity what are you driving your headphones with? The Beyers are fairly easy to drive. Both the DT 1990 and Amiron sound good straight out of my iPhone 7 for example. They do benefit from amping of course, things get fuller and the bass gains more body and the highs become smoother.

I understand these will sound different compared to everything I have an I'm really excited about it.  I'm hoping the details and sound stage will help me hear positional queue (foot steps, reloading, etc.) of other players.  I have an iphone 7 plus, but have looked into getting a Fiio e18 or sound blaster e5.  I'm really leaning towards the e5 because of bluetooth since I hate wires. Any suggestions on some other portable amps that would do well with the DT 1990?

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #720 of 2,669
  That's excellent...thank-you. My music is mostly acoustic in nature, particularly jazz...some classic rock. I find the HD-650 bass a bit 'muddied' for those genres and clearer would be better as well. I doubt I would get rid of the Senns but would be great to have an alternative to hand.

No problem. I really like the Amiron for those genres, the imaging will be a nice step up too. It's always nice to have different sounds on hand. It's why I kept both the DT 1990 and Amiron as they actually sound surprisingly different. The DT 1990 is more of a HD 600 upgrade with a more robust and aggressive sound and is a jack of all trades. The Amiron seems to take some elements from the HD 650 and tesla Beyers and mix it together. The treble energy of the Tesla's may take some getting used to coming from an HD 650, they have this more tactile dynamic and vivid texture to their treble but wouldn't call it fatiguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back